Male HQ

Poll: Will you have sex with someone who has HIV?

LayOver

Poll for HIV-negative people only.  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hi all, I'm HIV positive, and have abstained from all sex ever since my diagnosis. I know there are other PLHIV (people living with HIV) who have managed to find new or maintain their relationships in spite of their HIV status, but I believe the majority of PLHIV in Singapore remain fearful and hesitant to seek any kind of intimate relationships.

This is due to the requirement (by law) to inform our potential sex-partners of our HIV status. This law exists in Singapore, but not in other countries because of U=U (see below).

For those who are unaware, after PHLIV start their medication, their viral loads will get to "Undetectable" levels, at which there is zero chance of transmission (Untransmittable). This is U=U (Undetectable = Untransmittable). For a more thorough and accurate description, please google.

I've created this poll to get a better understanding of the attitudes to sex with PHLIV in Singapore. Honest answers are the most helpful. :)

Edited by LayOver

• LayOver changed the title to Poll: Will you have sex with someone who has HIV?
Guest Dexter

My friend say he got AIDS from her boyfriend. They have since broke up.

Can he sue him in civil court case for compensation?

AIDS medicines etc are all very expensive..

If he sues, does he need to prove in court that he get AIDS from him? He is his only sex partner but how is he going to prove it in court..

On 10/1/2022 at 8:38 PM, Guest Dexter said:

My friend say he got AIDS from her boyfriend. They have since broke up.

Can he sue him in civil court case for compensation?

AIDS medicines etc are all very expensive..

If he sues, does he need to prove in court that he get AIDS from him? He is his only sex partner but how is he going to prove it in court..

This response is according to what I know (I'm not a lawyer).

If your friend's boyfriend knew he had HIV before they had sex and did not inform him/her, then the boyfriend would have broken the law. Even if the boyfriend was on medication, his viral load undetectable, making it impossible for him to infect your friend, he would still have broken the law.

Your friend can approach MOH (Ministry of Health) to say he/she suspects he/she was infected with HIV knowingly. Singapore keeps a list of every one who was diagnosed with HIV and the dates. MOH can investigate and take legal action on the boyfriend if the claim is true.

If the boyfriend was diagnosed overseas and never in Singapore, then that would be difficult to prove.

However, if the boyfriend had HIV but didn't know, and transmitted it to your friend unknowingly, then the boyfriend had broken no laws. Safe sex is both parties' responsibilities.

Medication for HIV in Singapore is indeed expensive. If your friend is Singaporean and receiving treatment from a government hospital, he/she can inform the doctor or nurse that she need financial assistance, and a social worker will help him/her get subsidy.

For me, the subsidy made the medication affordable, and did not impact my finances too much.

• 3 months later...

The poll have one pointer less.. for me I will have sex with plhiv with or without condom but I will need to make sure u=u and always be on PreP using 2-1-1 method

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.