Male HQ

Is pursuing a hobby as a full time job is a bad idea?

Guest Valeria

Guest Valeria

Cousin going to uni. Course is piano teaching. Auntie doesn't like it but can't do anythinfg because cousin threaten to leave the house. Come on, how many people having that profession? Does it pay much?

There is no golden rule on what profession to take. Giving piano lessons after 15 years can get boring also, enter into a life crisis or depression. 

Whether it brings sufficient income? Who will know what is fashion in 10 years?

By then your cousin married a billionaire and can pursue other hobbies also...

Guest Not Boring
On 10/4/2022 at 8:08 PM, singalion said:

There is no golden rule on what profession to take. Giving piano lessons after 15 years can get boring also, enter into a life crisis or depression. 

By then your cousin married a billionaire and can pursue other hobbies also...

What is your experience in giving piano lessons, after 15 years did you find it boring too?   Or are you just blabbering.

To teach a musical instrument, to be a personal trainer, to teach kindergarten, elementary school, middle school, high school, college, has one thing in common:  to enjoy seeing others learn.  Maybe a university professor has other motivations,  but within the joy of teaching the piano teacher has it easier because he does not need to grade papers.

On 10/5/2022 at 9:08 AM, singalion said:

10 years is all you need to think about another 10 more years?  We need a gap in-between to breath. 

Guest Joseph
On 10/3/2022 at 10:23 PM, Guest Valeria said:

Cousin going to uni. Course is piano teaching. Auntie doesn't like it but can't do anythinfg because cousin threaten to leave the house. Come on, how many people having that profession? Does it pay much?

This seem to be a very complicated problem 

1.  is not your problem but your cousin 
2.  involved your auntie and she is not your mother 
3. U bring it on here to discuss because we can ?? 
4.  Did u also bring in your auntie here so she can share her pt of view 
5.  best will be u organize a meet up for all of us ,maybe we can help persuade your auntie etc 
6.  please enlighten us your objective of sharing your cousin problem here 

Rules of thumb,

If u make a career out of your hobby, you will lose interest in it. 

Hobby is only enjoyable because there is no money attached to it.

When u make a career out of it, you need to do what the payer wants u to do; which most of the time is against what u actually want. Especially profession like musician, painter and etc. 

Personally, I am musically inclined. I have friends who started music education with me and they continue to pursue their career in teaching music and playing for the SSO. They no longer listen to classical music now. When we meet, they are fascinated why am I still so passionate of the classical repertoire. The answer is simple. I didn't make a living out of my passion. 

Having said this, if and when u become famous, you get to dictate what u want to do in that field. Unfortunately, not many of us can reach to that level. 

Edited by lohwpr

I don't think it is a bad idea.  It all depends on your goal/objective.

Doing what you enjoy can never be really wrong when "work is play & play is work".  If you can earn a decent living doing what you love, why not? Besides, being your own boss, controlling your own time and destiny, has its benefits.  Better work life balance for one.  Freelance music teachers do earn a decent income, once you build a client base and referral programme.  Music is a transferrable skill.

However, once you focus on the money, you do get lost and stray away from why you did this in the first place.  That is when, you start to lose interest, and passion as you don't see the "value" you bring.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.