Male HQ

Does it make sense to follow the same life cycle as our parents?

Guest Whywhy

With the rising cost of living, esp how much HDB prices have shot up.

I can't help but thinking it's not getting anywhere following the same approach towards living taught by our parents.

Past: Work hard > Save > Accumulate stress and illness > See doc > Passed on

For their generation, just by working hard can get by and even raise a family.

Present: Work hard > Work fast > Work smart > Save > Accumulate stress and illness > See doc > Passed on

Being a gay, I'm worried about myself. My straight friends are worried about themselves and their kids.

Are there other ways besides following this viscous cycle?

Actually, a lot of the "stress" related to life, is due to our pursuit of material possessions. If one is able to dial down one's expectations on the size of flat to buy, where to go on holiday, and what mobile phone to buy, then you would realise that there is less stress. Yes, you might seem less trendy and poorer than the people around you, but in exchange, you gain happiness.

Слава Україні!

2 hours ago, Guest Whywhy said:

Being a gay, I'm worried about myself. My straight friends are worried about themselves and their kids.

Are there other ways besides following this viscous cycle?

We humans have been following the same cycle of life since the beginning of history.   And our children, grandchildren etc.  will follow the same cycle too.

There is plenty of "vicious" that can creep into our lives,  but we all have some control to minimize this.

2 hours ago, sgmaven said:

Actually, a lot of the "stress" related to life, is due to our pursuit of material possessions. If one is able to dial down one's expectations on the size of flat to buy, where to go on holiday, and what mobile phone to buy, then you would realise that there is less stress. Yes, you might seem less trendy and poorer than the people around you, but in exchange, you gain happiness.

I recognize in your post what has happened to me.  In the last decades I have become frugal and I enjoy it.  I live far below the standard I could live in.  45 years in the same home,  40 years after paying it off. The average age of my 3 cars is over 20 years.  No credit card or any other debt.  Very few claims to the insurances I have.  All my neighbors are more snobby, with well kept new houses and new cars.  I might seem to be the poorest person living there.  BUT...  I am surely the HAPPIEST and the most STRESSFREE. There is nothing that perturbs my sleep, and I take advantage of this.  While my neighbors drive to their stressful jobs to pay their bills,  I drive to the gym and to the grocery store at off times, since I have the whole day at my disposition.  I enjoy working out,  and buying my healthy foods at the nearby stores and then cooking them myself.  

My cycle of life is very different from my parent's.  And my child and family are living stressful lives of course.  But he is smart and not materialistic, and when he is my age he will follow my example.  Maybe with a picture of his deceased father to look up to. :) 

• 5 months later...
Guest Guest
46 minutes ago, Guest Yoko Yoko said:

I don't the same cycle like my father. He is poor and irresponsible.

Sorry to hear that.

My father is an alcoholic womaniser. I am a gay guy who doesn't touch alcohol.

We could not be more different.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.