Male HQ

WP and 377A

superflawless

Pritam Singh Lifts Party Whip In 377A Debate, Hopes Varied Views Will Represent Singaporeans

I am very disappinted in their voting record. 

MPs Sylvia Lim abstained

Dennis Tan opposes the repeal

Gerald Giam opposes the repeal

Leon Perera supports the repeal

Leader of the Opposition and WP chief Pritam Singh supports

https://mothership.sg/2022/11/wp-mps-on-377a/

53 minutes ago, superflawless said:

Pritam Singh Lifts Party Whip In 377A Debate, Hopes Varied Views Will Represent Singaporeans

MPs Sylvia Lim abstained

In Europe such repeals and bills did not get voted unanimously but disputed also.

To me personally it looks like the WP intends to get out of the spotlight or hot seat. "Let the ruling party handle it, leave us out", seems to be the motto here for WP.

A certain (majority) party in my view already mishandled the issue back in 2007... because they were cowards.

The whole issue had already been buried in dust and forgotten, had they handled the matter differently in 2007.

The India ruling in 2018 had shown how outdated the law is.

What the ruling party fears is that the judges will take the issue at their hands and decide like the Indian judges. (And this would create a precedent, that the government intends to avoid by all means...)

If you look at the last ruling from the Supreme Court the hints are everywhere that the law actually is unconstitutional. They just did not intend to offend the MP's in doing their job.

The whole reasoning by Shanmugam goes in the same direction.

Edited by singalion

Actually, I find the position of the worker party more suitable.

The decision to repeal should be taken without any pressure on them by the own persuasion of doing the right thing.

With the majority party placing the whip onto their MPs, it will later be open for discussion that the PAP MP's "had no other choice" but to approve the repeal unless they intend to get excluded from the party if they vote differently than the whip.

The decision in parliament if no whip would be applied would stand as had it been taken by the conscience and free opinion of their MPs.

But now look what is going on!

In all Western countries as well as those Asian countries that repealed the criminality of Homosexual acts, the decision was taken without any whip.

Edited by singalion

3 hours ago, superflawless said:

MPs Sylvia Lim abstained

You forgot Faisal Manap

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/wps-faisal-supports-wear-white

6 hours ago, Why? said:

Does Gerald Giam oppose the repeal of S377A despite his fervent support for democracy?  Today, no one can be trusted to be our ally.

Ally or not,  he is even worse.

To try to preserve a hateful draconian law while being a fervent supporter of democracy reveals that he has a Split Personality.   But because he is a politician,  a "split personality" is in reality the lack of a true personality, replaced by whichever calculated positions benefit him personally.

Edited by Steve5380

6 hours ago, Why? said:

Does Gerald Giam oppose the repeal of S377A despite his fervent support for democracy?  Today, no one can be trusted to be our ally.

10 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Ally or not,  he is even worse.

To try to preserve a hateful draconian law while being a fervent supporter of democracy reveals that he has a Split Personality.   But because he is a politician,  a "split personality" is in reality the lack of a true personality, replaced by whichever calculated positions benefit him personally.

The vote did not depend on him.

I think it is more an issue with no spine because taking this decision not to vote for repeal he may think that he avoided potential backlash at his constituency.

It was an "easy way out"...

3 hours ago, singalion said:

The vote did not depend on him.

I think it is more an issue with no spine because taking this decision not to vote for repeal he may think that he avoided potential backlash at his constituency.

It was an "easy way out"...

Yes.  We are saying the same thing.  Your "lack of spine" is what I called "lack of a true personality".  ( lack of essence is even better than lack of true personality)

4 hours ago, superflawless said:

Well, I am glad the archiac law has been repealed.

Shame on them for delaying repeal for so long once it was established that the S377A penal code cannot withstand the test of fire. That won't be the end; we still have to battle for protection laws and to reclaim Singapore as a secular country.

On 11/29/2022 at 6:04 PM, StockBottom said:

You forgot Faisal Manap

This Malay MP has an eccentric personality. I still recall that during the pinkdot campaign, he encouraged the Muslim community to wear white.   He belongs to the cave in remote mountain where human is non-existence.  

Edited by Why?

28 minutes ago, Why? said:

This Malay MP has an eccentric personality. I still recall that during the pinkdot campaign, he encouraged the Muslim community to wear white.   He belongs to the cave in remote mountain where human is non-existence.  

Maybe he forgot that his oath is to the Singapore constitution and not to any religious books.

You are right in pointing to the secular state.

But now you are aware how people set their priorities....

16 minutes ago, singalion said:

Maybe he forgot that his oath is to the Singapore constitution and not to any religious books.

It's not just him. Even to the point where I questioned if our politicians were acting in the interests of the public or themselves. Unfortunately most of their actions, words, and policies point towards the former direction and contradictory at best.   As a result, I often votes with all my limbs (includig my KKJ) in their opposite directions to ensure my clear message is shoved right in.

Edited by Why?

PAP took a long time and eventually moved in a way different from most countries that struck down such laws and approved gay marriage. In the name of striking a balance, PAP is trying to be a different face to different voters, creatively concurrently moving in two inherently dissonant directions. Time will tell if this is wise.

WP, on the other hand, is increasingly wayang in my opinion, it says a lot without standing up for anything at all. It started off as PAP+, became PAP-lite and now acts like PAP-. I hope they live up to more in future. Even when I disagree with SDP, I appreciate their having a clear stand most times.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.