Male HQ

Shirtless Gymming: Good Or Bad?

Guest guest22335566

8 hours ago, Guest guest22335566 said:

Saw 3 men shirtless in the gym today. Not enticing though. 

Saw more than 40 men NAKED in sauna and I have seen 100 naked people in nude beach ....... 

Enticing or not .... what is the purpose of your post ?? 

I do feel that for hygiene purposes, it is best if they have at least a skimpy singlet on to absorb most of the sweat. If not the machines will be filled with sweat after each use and it can be quite gross, despite using a towel to clean… gym etiquette I guess. 

On the other hand if they are running topless outside, now that’s a turn on! Haha. 

Was in the gym on a late night and there were 3 of us left in the gym. So after one person left, the other guy decided to just take off his top to gym shirtless. I just ignored him like how some guys ram me while I play my video games. Probably can't be bothered about shirtless guys gymming away.

Edited by repressednerd

18 hours ago, Guest Best said:

Best is all guys gym. Don't have to worry about wardrobe malfunction or skimpy attire.

In the army loh haha. For commercial gyms, I dun think there is any all guys gym in SG. Have heard of all ladies gym though 

1 hour ago, Guest btmguy said:

In the army loh haha. For commercial gyms, I dun think there is any all guys gym in SG. Have heard of all ladies gym though 

Normally it's the ladies who complain about shirtless guys.

Best they all go Venus 🤣

8 hours ago, jljh88 said:

I do feel that for hygiene purposes, it is best if they have at least a skimpy singlet on to absorb most of the sweat. If not the machines will be filled with sweat after each use and it can be quite gross, despite using a towel to clean… gym etiquette I guess. 

On the other hand if they are running topless outside, now that’s a turn on! Haha. 

For hygiene purposes, the person should lay a thick towel on the gym equipment that he is using, that is good gym etiquette. I find even you wear a singlet, most of your sweat still wet the machines, some people their singlet got really very wet with sweat.

1 hour ago, wenkai said:

Did that b4.  In camp. Shiok man. 

Last time army camp gym non aircon, so it is common to go topless in the gym. Anyway, it is common to be topless in army. Even during PT training, many guys also topless.

7 hours ago, repressednerd said:

Was in the gym on a late night and there were 3 of us left in the gym. So after one person left, the other guy decided to just take off his top to gym shirtless. I just ignored him like how some guys ram me while I play my video games. Probably can't be bothered about shirtless guys gymming away.

Wah, that might be super distracting depending on how good is the shirtless guy's bod.

No gym staff around at the time? 

7 hours ago, repressednerd said:

That guy either not your type, or he is not cute and bod not hot. That's why you can't be bother.

Guest HotWaterSlide

I find the shirtless gym debate quite interesting.

Most commercial gyms in sg don't allow for guys to be shirtless claiming it is a hygiene issue but that's an easy fix if you place a towel on the equipment you use.

They might say it might be uncomfortable for others to see your bare body but a lot of women wear only sports bras and tights which doesn't leave much to the imagination. I find there's a double standard there.

A few decades ago, men going shirtless used to be something quite normal in school, military and even neighbourhood gyms. However, the perception has changed a lot.

The only time you can go shirtless in the gym is if you join one of the more rugged CrossFit or bouldering kind of gyms. Or go to those 24/7 gyms and wait till the late or early morning hours when it's empty to go shirtless.

Tbh it seems like too much effort. I just stick to exercising outdoors. Running and calisthenics where my favorite choice of clothes is a pair of running shorts and some sturdy shoes. I have weights I lift in the comfort of my home, usually in my underwear.

The irony is that if you cross the causeway you will find a lot of guys who workout shirtless in the gyms. And we pride ourselves as being more liberal and easygoing. Lol.

I have seen some men only gyms in other asian countries. Perhaps that could be something to explore in sg's future.

True, few decades ago, shirtless used to be very normal and common. I still remember my neighbor would walk to the shops and coffeeshop shirtless, and no one would get bother at all. Also can see some guys are shirtless in the neighborhood shop area during that era. But somehow now it has changed, even you don't see many guys at basketball court playing basketball shirtless nowadays. I wonder what causes such change?

Guest Derelict

I think people nowadays in general are more conservative and afraid than those in previous decades.

In the 80s, we had the Centerpoint kids who decked out in outrageous clothes like the pop satrs of the day in music videos.

During the 90s, I have seen gay men in tight tops and one even wore a backless vest in a bus.

Nowadays people are very afraid and dress to blend in and not seek attention. No colors, no pattern, no logos even! Just plain.  It might be social conditioning in schools - eg to fit in you have to dress a certain way. 

Go swimming and you'll see more people covering up. Eg people who swim in full bodysuits. Men who wear knee length swim tights. Say goodbye to skimpy M2N swimwear from the early 2000s. And the colors nowadays are just black. They may go a little bit further and do dark blue. Very rare to see another guy wearing something colorful unless he's PLU.

3 minutes ago, Guest Derelict said:

I think people nowadays in general are more conservative and afraid than those in previous decades.

In the 80s, we had the Centerpoint kids who decked out in outrageous clothes like the pop satrs of the day in music videos.

During the 90s, I have seen gay men in tight tops and one even wore a backless vest in a bus.

Nowadays people are very afraid and dress to blend in and not seek attention. No colors, no pattern, no logos even! Just plain.  It might be social conditioning in schools - eg to fit in you have to dress a certain way. 

Go swimming and you'll see more people covering up. Eg people who swim in full bodysuits. Men who wear knee length swim tights. Say goodbye to skimpy M2N swimwear from the early 2000s. And the colors nowadays are just black. They may go a little bit further and do dark blue. Very rare to see another guy wearing something colorful unless he's PLU.

Could be due to in the 80s/90s, there was no social media, stomp and smart phone. So no matter what you do, you no need scare people would just snap and post it in social media. Now is anything you do and wear in the public, people would snap and post it in social media easily, very scary.

Guest Kampang
4 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Could be due to in the 80s/90s, there was no social media, stomp and smart phone. So no matter what you do, you no need scare people would just snap and post it in social media. Now is anything you do and wear in the public, people would snap and post it in social media easily, very scary.

I still wear shorts and bare top in our kampung. Most uncles here are like that. Only you sg people think u very civilised must wear until so much in hot climate.

Here is so hot sweat until so wet we got no air con. Sometimes I no wear underwear also let the wind blow. In kopitiam if we see kkj then we say open coffee shop. U got I got why so shy meh.

I personally do think it is gross to lie on a bench with someone's else sweat on it because it can cause skin irritation, ringworms, and other skin rashes. A friend of mine attended a nude hot yoga session years ago and used the studio's mats, he ended up with a case of ringworms. I have attended hot yoga sessions where it is ok to be shirtless, but I always bring my own mat and towel, and a pack of disinfecting wipes to clean my area after I am done. 

Working out shirtless is fine, as long as the person makes sure that he wipes down the bench and the equipment he is using with a sanitation spray after. The unfortunate reality is sometimes people just forget, and the gym's cleaning crew only comes hourly to do a wipe down. 

Love. 

Guest HotWaterSlide

I do agree in this time of social media more people have become more wary of their privacy and that they must adhere to certain norms while living in a society. The fear of being exposed in any manner has become a great concern for many.

When working out shirtless, hygiene is a major issue. Leaving sweat on equipment and on mats is not only gross but also detrimental to ones health. That's why I can't stress enough on good gym etiquette. Wiping down equipment after use and using a thick towel to cover the equipment is just good manners.

The irony is that I have seen fully dressed people who don't use towels and leave sweat drenched equipment and mats behind. That kind of brings us back to the same problem. 

I remember when working out during my ns days in the camp gym and we always had to bring our big bath towel to place on the equipment. We could enter without a shirt but not without a towel. 

And yes, working out shirtless does feed into the area of exhibitionism. I mean if you're eating right, working out and are proud of the way your body is shaping up, is it that wrong to show it off?

Apart from exhibitionism, working out shirtless allows you to see your exact muscles contracting and expanding when doing exercises. This helps you to correct form so you can workout properly. Plus seeing other fit bodies on display motivates you to achieve the same. It drives you to do better.

I've worked out in several gyms around the world and most aren't really focused on the shirtless gym etiquette. Some commercial chains emphasize it but the neighborhood ones don't.

At the end of it, I think it boils down to the individual. If we have good gym etiquette and manners, perhaps being shirtless in the gym will slowly become a norm.

Guest Derry Boy
12 hours ago, Guest guest said:

There's another side to this social media thing too. People seem conservative on the outside but conversly, have no qualms about posting their nude photos or sex acts online for public view. 

Strange state of affairs.

10 hours ago, doncoin said:

I personally do think it is gross to lie on a bench with someone's else sweat on it because it can cause skin irritation, ringworms, and other skin rashes. A friend of mine attended a nude hot yoga session years ago and used the studio's mats, he ended up with a case of ringworms. I have attended hot yoga sessions where it is ok to be shirtless, but I always bring my own mat and towel, and a pack of disinfecting wipes to clean my area after I am done. 

Working out shirtless is fine, as long as the person makes sure that he wipes down the bench and the equipment he is using with a sanitation spray after. The unfortunate reality is sometimes people just forget, and the gym's cleaning crew only comes hourly to do a wipe down. 

It is really gross to have contact with other people sweat, like you said, can get skin irritation etc. Unless that guy is your bf, then contacting his sweat would not be gross. But sadly no one would do that. They simply just dirty the bench and equipment and walk away without cleaning it. Some even worst never lay a towel on the bench when using it. 

On 12/20/2022 at 3:43 PM, jekhar said:

Wah, that might be super distracting depending on how good is the shirtless guy's bod.

No gym staff around at the time? 

On 12/20/2022 at 3:43 PM, Guest guest said:

That guy either not your type, or he is not cute and bod not hot. That's why you can't be bother.

Gym runs 24/7 so he probably decided to go topless when 'nobody' was around. Just one of those gymmers who love exhibiting themselves even to themselves.

Guest ffffffff
19 hours ago, Guest guest said:

It is really gross to have contact with other people sweat, like you said, can get skin irritation etc. Unless that guy is your bf, then contacting his sweat would not be gross. But sadly no one would do that. They simply just dirty the bench and equipment and walk away without cleaning it. Some even worst never lay a towel on the bench when using it. 

Then saunas are even worse. Don't know how many have laid on those matresses sans towela. And doing the nasty to boot.

Nothing wrong working out shirtless, I guess you need some gratification for working out hard, I just stick to my Lulu’s on but at Barry’s Bootcamp, there are those who show, for me when I strip in the mirror I get satisfaction from being able to see some results for my own self reflection in the confines of my home. Giving a bit of mystery is good haha, anyways happy to turn 50 in a month and can run lift and sprint faster then people half my age - that’s that 

Edited by fitcubsg

6 hours ago, fitcubsg said:

Nothing wrong working out shirtless, I guess you need some gratification for working out hard, I just stick to my Lulu’s on but at Barry’s Bootcamp, there are those who show, for me when I strip in the mirror I get satisfaction from being able to see some results for my own self reflection in the confines of my home. Giving a bit of mystery is good haha, anyways happy to turn 50 in a month and can run lift and sprint faster then people half my age - that’s that 

You must have an incredibly fast muscle growth if you can notice a difference after a workout.   And happy 50 years birthday!   the 50s is still young, not even a start of middle age,  and of course if you work out you should be in better shape than a sedentary 25 y.o. 

Guest ffffffff
6 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

You must have an incredibly fast muscle growth if you can notice a difference after a workout.   And happy 50 years birthday!   the 50s is still young, not even a start of middle age,  and of course if you work out you should be in better shape than a sedentary 25 y.o. 

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for you.

Some you litter every thread with you silly replies. Stupid attention seeker.

2 hours ago, Guest ffffffff said:

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for you.

Some you litter every thread with you silly replies. Stupid attention seeker.

Yes, you litter every thread with your silly replies.  Stupid attention seeker ffffffff.

Guest ffffffff
1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

Yes, you litter every thread with your silly replies.  Stupid attention seeker ffffffff.

Why bother to ppush the blame on others? It's irresponsible and negative. Take responsibilty for your trolley dolly antics. Be a positive role model.

You got called out so many times by other people and I cannot stop laughing.

14 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Thanks I think I build muscle quickly but also I lift heavy - free weights about 17.5kg each hand, my core is strong I guess. Yup I don’t feel 50 and people say I look very young but of course, I am Not afraid of a few tweaks here and there 🙂 

On 12/20/2022 at 1:37 PM, Guest HotWaterSlide said:

I find the shirtless gym debate quite interesting.

Most commercial gyms in sg don't allow for guys to be shirtless claiming it is a hygiene issue but that's an easy fix if you place a towel on the equipment you use.

They might say it might be uncomfortable for others to see your bare body but a lot of women wear only sports bras and tights which doesn't leave much to the imagination. I find there's a double standard there.

A few decades ago, men going shirtless used to be something quite normal in school, military and even neighbourhood gyms. However, the perception has changed a lot.

The only time you can go shirtless in the gym is if you join one of the more rugged CrossFit or bouldering kind of gyms. Or go to those 24/7 gyms and wait till the late or early morning hours when it's empty to go shirtless.

Tbh it seems like too much effort. I just stick to exercising outdoors. Running and calisthenics where my favorite choice of clothes is a pair of running shorts and some sturdy shoes. I have weights I lift in the comfort of my home, usually in my underwear.

The irony is that if you cross the causeway you will find a lot of guys who workout shirtless in the gyms. And we pride ourselves as being more liberal and easygoing. Lol.

I have seen some men only gyms in other asian countries. Perhaps that could be something to explore in sg's future.

I'm quite curious which gyms across the causeway do you see this? Thought they're more conservative there. 

Guest HotWaterSlide
4 hours ago, swimboi said:

I'm quite curious which gyms across the causeway do you see this? Thought they're more conservative there. 

My work shuttles me between both countries frequently. Sometimes I can even stay up to a month or so. I usually just workout in my flat when I'm in sg but seeing that gym rates are quite affordable I do try out gyms in my stay there.

I usually avoid the high profile commercial chain gyms and try out the smaller private owned gyms in neighborhoods.

There are a couple i go alot to when I'm there. Both are non-aircon and the equipment though old is well-maintained. 

Initially, I was mindful of my dressing as it was a conservative country. I wore short sleeved tops and track pants. But I was surprised to see shirtless guys in shorts working out inside. So after the first visit, I slowly started to follow the dress code I was seeing. Lol.

I guess it was a gym that was mostly frequented by men so nobody didn't think much of it. It seemed like a very normal thing to do.

I've even worked out shirtless in hotel gyms in the country where the rule in the gym was to wear a top. I tried my luck since I was alone in the gym one night.

About half hour later a guy came to workout. He didn't say anything seeing I was shirtless. About 10 minutes later he removed his top too and worked out topless.

Some time later, a staff came into the gym to repair a faulty light. He simply greeted us and went on to fix the light. After fixing it, he nodded at us before leaving. Not giving a f that we were half naked and breaking the stipulated rule.

Thinking about it now, I'm sure if this was sg we would have been asked to wear a shirt or asked to leave. I remember after the staff left, the other guy and I just gave each other a smirk and continued our workout. After my workout, I gave him a salute and smile and went back to my hotel room shirtless.

So yes. Although, you would never see a man shirtless in public jogging or exercising there, it seems to be ok in gyms especially when its populated more with men. Perhaps gym with more women might have more stringent rules. However, they do have a lot of women only gyms. So maybe that's why the shirtless dress code is more relaxed in these neighbourhood gyms.

Guest William

Personally, I agree that it is more hygienic to use towels when it comes to machine. On the other hand, training shirtless when doing free weights should not be any issue.

On 12/24/2022 at 10:08 PM, Guest HotWaterSlide said:

My work shuttles me between both countries frequently. Sometimes I can even stay up to a month or so. I usually just workout in my flat when I'm in sg but seeing that gym rates are quite affordable I do try out gyms in my stay there.

I usually avoid the high profile commercial chain gyms and try out the smaller private owned gyms in neighborhoods.

There are a couple i go alot to when I'm there. Both are non-aircon and the equipment though old is well-maintained. 

Initially, I was mindful of my dressing as it was a conservative country. I wore short sleeved tops and track pants. But I was surprised to see shirtless guys in shorts working out inside. So after the first visit, I slowly started to follow the dress code I was seeing. Lol.

I guess it was a gym that was mostly frequented by men so nobody didn't think much of it. It seemed like a very normal thing to do.

I've even worked out shirtless in hotel gyms in the country where the rule in the gym was to wear a top. I tried my luck since I was alone in the gym one night.

About half hour later a guy came to workout. He didn't say anything seeing I was shirtless. About 10 minutes later he removed his top too and worked out topless.

Some time later, a staff came into the gym to repair a faulty light. He simply greeted us and went on to fix the light. After fixing it, he nodded at us before leaving. Not giving a f that we were half naked and breaking the stipulated rule.

Thinking about it now, I'm sure if this was sg we would have been asked to wear a shirt or asked to leave. I remember after the staff left, the other guy and I just gave each other a smirk and continued our workout. After my workout, I gave him a salute and smile and went back to my hotel room shirtless.

So yes. Although, you would never see a man shirtless in public jogging or exercising there, it seems to be ok in gyms especially when its populated more with men. Perhaps gym with more women might have more stringent rules. However, they do have a lot of women only gyms. So maybe that's why the shirtless dress code is more relaxed in these neighbourhood gyms.

Perhaps I have to DM you to get the exact location. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 2:10 AM, Guest Ah Siao said:

Saw more than a dozen men shirtless in the swimming pool today. Not enticing too!

Swimming pool need to wear shirt in sg? How to swim with shirt on?

On 12/19/2022 at 1:12 AM, Guest guest22335566 said:

Saw 3 men shirtless in the gym today. Not enticing though. 

If non aircond I think many does it.. what I dislike is their sweat stick on the machine and they just walked off without wiping... If they wipe their sweat I am ok.. even with shirt you should wipe ur equipment after use

9 hours ago, Ryuki said:

If non aircond I think many does it.. what I dislike is their sweat stick on the machine and they just walked off without wiping... If they wipe their sweat I am ok.. even with shirt you should wipe ur equipment after use

There are more inconsiderate people around than considerate people. Yesterday was at a gym, saw one guy using the smith machine and lay on the bench without any towel, and this guy looks muscular and should be regular to the gym, and he treat the gym like his own gym without using any towel. Super disgusting.

• 2 months later...
Guest William

Was in a neighborhood gym without air con today. It was 1pm and there was no one around so I strip off my top and workout shirtless using only dumbbells and barbells without any benches. 

15 minutes later, the staff came over and told me to put back a shirt on despite there was no other people and there was no mention of "Shirt On" policy in their gym

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.