Male HQ

Shirtless Gymming: Good Or Bad?

Guest guest22335566

3 hours ago, Guest William said:

Was in a neighborhood gym without air con today. It was 1pm and there was no one around so I strip off my top and workout shirtless using only dumbbells and barbells without any benches. 

15 minutes later, the staff came over and told me to put back a shirt on despite there was no other people and there was no mention of "Shirt On" policy in their gym

Which gym is this?

Guest guest
4 hours ago, Guest William said:

Was in a neighborhood gym without air con today. It was 1pm and there was no one around so I strip off my top and workout shirtless using only dumbbells and barbells without any benches. 

15 minutes later, the staff came over and told me to put back a shirt on despite there was no other people and there was no mention of "Shirt On" policy in their gym

Got aircon or no aircon, gym in sg usually not allowed to gym shirtless. I remember only gym in school and army camp allowed shirtless. But that was many many years ago. I not sure if now stilll allow shirtless or not.

Guest Guest

Honestly, I think it's quite unhygienic to workout in the gym without your shirt on, fit or not. I mean, even in a aircon gym, you might still be sweating. You want to show off your bod, do it in the changing room 

Guest guest
2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Honestly, I think it's quite unhygienic to workout in the gym without your shirt on, fit or not. I mean, even in a aircon gym, you might still be sweating. You want to show off your bod, do it in the changing room 

If the person is wet with sweat, whether or not he is wearing a shirt or without a shirt, the end result is still the same, esp if the person is not using any towel.

On 4/7/2023 at 6:28 AM, Guest Guest said:

Agree.  unhygienic is what should rule out shirtless gymming.  Even if there is no sweat, the bare skin leaves an impression in the plastic cover of the machines.  

Today one sees new strange habits brought by the pandemic.  In cool weather, and a cool gym,  some people fully dressed after using a machine eagerly wipe it off with wet paper towels.  This is an overkill that didn't exist before covid.  

Guest Guest

I have always used a towel whenever I workout as I am quite a sweaty person so for me, it's always just been about hygiene and consideration for the next user and while I do think it's not necessary to use a wet wipe to wipe down the equipment, I do admit that it is quite a nice change from the gym hygiene that was practiced pre-covid. 

Guest guest
17 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Agree.  unhygienic is what should rule out shirtless gymming.  Even if there is no sweat, the bare skin leaves an impression in the plastic cover of the machines.  

Today one sees new strange habits brought by the pandemic.  In cool weather, and a cool gym,  some people fully dressed after using a machine eagerly wipe it off with wet paper towels.  This is an overkill that didn't exist before covid.  

It is a good hygienic habit to clean up the machine with wet paper towel after using even the user is fully dressed.

Guest guest
10 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I have always used a towel whenever I workout as I am quite a sweaty person so for me, it's always just been about hygiene and consideration for the next user and while I do think it's not necessary to use a wet wipe to wipe down the equipment, I do admit that it is quite a nice change from the gym hygiene that was practiced pre-covid. 

Nowadays most of the people in the gym do not have good hygienic practice and also inconsideration. Besides not using the towel on the equipment, many also never return the weights used to the right place and left it there for their maid to do it for them. Maybe when a person train until big and muscular, they do not have any more brain to think.

39 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

It is a good hygienic habit to clean up the machine with wet paper towel after using even the user is fully dressed.

Hygiene is important.  But can it be overdone?   Should we clean up the seat with wet paper towel when we stand up in a bus or MRT before we leave?

Of course, in a hot climate like Singapore and with heavy exercising,  the shirt of a person can be soaked with sweat, and so cleaning should be done.  But this is not too common in cooler places, doing weight lifting.  Maybe aerobic machines should be cleaned more often.

Guest guest
10 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Hygiene is important.  But can it be overdone?   Should we clean up the seat with wet paper towel when we stand up in a bus or MRT before we leave?

Of course, in a hot climate like Singapore and with heavy exercising,  the shirt of a person can be soaked with sweat, and so cleaning should be done.  But this is not too common in cooler places, doing weight lifting.  Maybe aerobic machines should be cleaned more often.

I don't think it is overdone esp in a gym environment. Gym considers quite a 'dirty' place, so cleaning with wet paper towel is a good habit.

Guest Lifeiswhatyoumakeit

Used to be in a boys school and on the rugby team. The gym was a non ac gym with rusty equipment. It got hot really quickly so we were allowed to gym shirtless. Even the teachers did. 

When I was in ns, after command school, was posted to one of the older camps. Same type of non ac gyms with old school equipment. So going shirtless was the norm.

After that, I gymmed in the neighborhood gyms and with the strict dress code, it was difficult yo follow tbh. 

So I didn't really go to the gym much and instead turned to calisthenics. I also set up a mini gym in the spare room in my flat. So continued with that for many years.

In the last year or so, I joined af after my best friends instance. It's 10 min walk from my place so it's convenient. 

Usually went after work around 7 before going home. Was really crowded and didn't really like it. 

Couple of months ago, decided to go home after work, have dinner, rest for a bit before going around 11. 

Very few people. Mostly guys. Funny thing is that around this time a lot of the guys workout shirtless. I didn't even know it was allowed but I think since it's late they close one eye.

It gave me a nostalgic feel and I have followed suit and joined the shirtless workout regime. ;D But have to mention that every shirtless guy always puts towel on the equipment before they use. So no sweat on the machine. Have to appreciate it.

Guest Jason
8 hours ago, Guest Lifeiswhatyoumakeit said:

Used to be in a boys school and on the rugby team. The gym was a non ac gym with rusty equipment. It got hot really quickly so we were allowed to gym shirtless. Even the teachers did. 

When I was in ns, after command school, was posted to one of the older camps. Same type of non ac gyms with old school equipment. So going shirtless was the norm.

After that, I gymmed in the neighborhood gyms and with the strict dress code, it was difficult yo follow tbh. 

So I didn't really go to the gym much and instead turned to calisthenics. I also set up a mini gym in the spare room in my flat. So continued with that for many years.

In the last year or so, I joined af after my best friends instance. It's 10 min walk from my place so it's convenient. 

Usually went after work around 7 before going home. Was really crowded and didn't really like it. 

Couple of months ago, decided to go home after work, have dinner, rest for a bit before going around 11. 

Very few people. Mostly guys. Funny thing is that around this time a lot of the guys workout shirtless. I didn't even know it was allowed but I think since it's late they close one eye.

It gave me a nostalgic feel and I have followed suit and joined the shirtless workout regime. ;D But have to mention that every shirtless guy always puts towel on the equipment before they use. So no sweat on the machine. Have to appreciate it.

Interesting. Do they usually go shirtless midway of their training or did they took off their top immediately even before the first exercise?

6 hours ago, Guest Jason said:

Interesting. Do they usually go shirtless midway of their training or did they took off their top immediately even before the first exercise?

Depends. Some are already shirtless when I arrive and some take it off mid workout. Some will wear their shirt back after workout and some don't.

The most impressive are the ones who workout shirtless and have no shirt with them. These confident fellas are shirtless even before they start their workout. Good role models for guys who are shy to go shirtless in public settings.

On 4/3/2023 at 10:02 PM, Guest guest said:

Got aircon or no aircon, gym in sg usually not allowed to gym shirtless. I remember only gym in school and army camp allowed shirtless. But that was many many years ago. I not sure if now stilll allow shirtless or not.

Both my secondary school gym and army can workout shirtless. Only poly gym had dress code as there were girls.

But then again a lot of us have worked out shirtless but no girls have complained. U will always see some girls just come and act like working out but actually they are checking out the shirtless guys. Confirm enjoy the free show. 😜

Only did a few years of ict and had a back injury that led to surgery. Wasn't called after that.

Was in my 20s then. So a lot of the guys still take care of their fitness. My camp was one of the older ones and at our unit there was a gym. The standard old school rusty equipment type. Majority of guys will just workout shirtless. Regardless of what body shape.

My encik got big belly will also train topless. So yes. It's not just the guys with muscles and abs. As long it's hot and sweaty, shirts come off easily. :D

But now I see that most of the army camps have ac gyms with latest equipment. So I think got stricter dress code now. Maybe the younger guys can share their experience?

Guest Jason
4 hours ago, Guest Lifeiswhatyoumakeit said:

Depends. Some are already shirtless when I arrive and some take it off mid workout. Some will wear their shirt back after workout and some don't.

The most impressive are the ones who workout shirtless and have no shirt with them. These confident fellas are shirtless even before they start their workout. Good role models for guys who are shy to go shirtless in public settings.

About what % of people were shirtless in the gym? Will be quite cool if everyone is doing it.

Personally miss the army days where I can just remove my shirt immediately after entering the gym. It was motivating in a way to see the muscles working, as well as peer pressure to train and workout harder. 

4 hours ago, Guest Jason said:

About what % of people were shirtless in the gym? Will be quite cool if everyone is doing it.

Personally miss the army days where I can just remove my shirt immediately after entering the gym. It was motivating in a way to see the muscles working, as well as peer pressure to train and workout harder. 

Around the time I go usually it's only a handful of people. Around 3-4 max ive seen is 8 people. Minimum shirtless is 50% but I have walked into the gym at around midnight and seen about 5 guys in the gym all working out shirtless. Dunno if this is the norm in all outlets.

Yes. It's better to work out shirtless as you can see your form immediately and correct it. It's also very motivating when the blood rushes and gives you that pump. Very macho feeling.

Both but bad coz you need to wipe if not you get redness on your body. Remember our skin varies meaning there is some sensitive skin, some normal and so on.. .would be greatly appreciated if you would wipe if not maybe can just shiftless for your swolfie....gym floor just wear anything n pump that sweat off!  haha 

Gym etiquette should be mandatory! If you want naked shirtless go to gay gym sauna or similar 😂

On 12/28/2022 at 1:16 AM, radiusulnar said:

but the sweat might drip all over the weights / floor

Sweat may drip all over the floor and machines whether one is wearing a shirt or shirtless.  To avoid sweaty benches, best put your own towel on the bench before using it.  Whether others use a towel on benches or not to cover up the sweat really is the choice of that person.  To avoid sweaty free weights, use workout gloves. 

Guest guest
27 minutes ago, Firstinsight2000 said:

There are lots of school and gyms in condos that permit training with no shirt.

r u sure lots of sch.. r u in e edu sector at ur current age? don say sumthing like this so irresponsible.. i dare u 2 say which sch allow NOW.. i got a feeling u prob toking abt ur time as studt, which is many decades ago, den maybe those time sch allow no shirt, pls la, donnoe don anyhw say ok!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peter

Came across a rustic old school gym with metal and rusty plates with no air conditioner in Malaysia. 

When I first entered, I was surprised to see the receptionist sitting at the counter shirtless. Hence, I assumed it was acceptable to train shirtless given that there was also another guy training shirtless already. Another guy (I assumed he is a regular) came in 30 minutes after me and he immediately removed his top before starting his workout (despite it being leg day).

Eye candy aside, I had such a good workout that day because it was so motivating to see my muscles at work, especially the back muscles which I usually can't see. There's also the external motivation from training in a room with other shirtless guys that pushes you to work out harder beyond your normal routine. 

16 hours ago, Guest Peter said:

Came across a rustic old school gym with metal and rusty plates with no air conditioner in Malaysia. 

When I first entered, I was surprised to see the receptionist sitting at the counter shirtless. Hence, I assumed it was acceptable to train shirtless given that there was also another guy training shirtless already. Another guy (I assumed he is a regular) came in 30 minutes after me and he immediately removed his top before starting his workout (despite it being leg day).

Eye candy aside, I had such a good workout that day because it was so motivating to see my muscles at work, especially the back muscles which I usually can't see. There's also the external motivation from training in a room with other shirtless guys that pushes you to work out harder beyond your normal routine. 

Can share the location of this gym? 

• 6 months later...

There are more and more small medium private gyms sprouting up all over the island. They dun have shirt wearing policy like the big commercial gyms or govt run gyms so most of the guys, especially those with firm pecs and 6 pack just workout shirtless. Walked pass one tdy and almost all the guys inside all shirtless 

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

There are more and more small medium private gyms sprouting up all over the island. They dun have shirt wearing policy like the big commercial gyms or govt run gyms so most of the guys, especially those with firm pecs and 6 pack just workout shirtless. Walked pass one tdy and almost all the guys inside all shirtless 

Do they have ladies going to these small medium private gyms? Wonder if some ladies can accept guys shirtless in the gym.

On 4/27/2023 at 12:46 AM, Guest Peter said:

I went to such gym in thailand. My thai friend brought me there. The gym is located in those rural area (like a kampong neighbourhood) and not in those busy commercial places.

The gym was simple built with 4 walls and some low partition by bricks and concrete and is very open because there is no air-conditioning. All old equipments in there and is not crowded, only patronised by men staying around the neighbourhood who really into weight lifting. 

When my friend drove me there to deliver supplements to his customers, I saw those men were training shirtless. I am also surprised to see 3 men  wearing only underwear training. This is something we definitely can't see in SG.

Oh ya...I went to their toilet and there is a concreted water tub in the middle of the toilet where you scoop water out from there to shower. Very traditional thai army style shower.

2 hours ago, jljh88 said:

I wish there’s a gym in Singapore that allows shirtless gymming. Will definitely sign up there in a heartbeat 🤐 Love the feeling of being able to be bare bodied and working up a sweat! Also could  motivate one another to strive for better bodies. 

As someone mentioned here, there are small medium private gyms which do not have shirt wearing policy, you can go join those gyms.

3 hours ago, jljh88 said:

I wish there’s a gym in Singapore that allows shirtless gymming. Will definitely sign up there in a heartbeat 🤐 Love the feeling of being able to be bare bodied and working up a sweat! Also could  motivate one another to strive for better bodies. 

You can try a crossfit gym.  Shirt off seems to be the default for the guys.

Like many of our brothers had mentioned, regular gyms in Singapore mostly have a shirt on at all times policy. Unlike most of our neighboring countries, in Singapore this is taken very seriously in commercial and government gyms. However, this only came about I think in the mid 2000s and after.

In the 80s and 90s, the norm in government gyms was exercising shirtless. Even in some commercial gyms. I think it was because the percentage of men going to the gym compared to women was much higher. And generally, men are not shy to be shirtless or naked in front of other men. I guess its because of NS perhaps.

Gyms used to be solely for men to go workout and socialize with one another. But now with girls becoming interested in the gym the understanding is that we should be respectful to the opposite gender and be modest in our dressing. The irony is that women dress in sports bra and skin tight leggings and shorts that leave nothing to imagination.

It's funny because in gyms where there's CrossFit, bouldering or more gritty workout regimes shirtless men are the norm and you don't see women being irked by it. So to be honest, I don't really get this shirt on policy.

And for people who talk about hygiene, you always should have a towel to put on equipment when you're using them. Regardless if you're wearing a shirt.

However, I don't think the rules are going to change anytime soon. If you really want to go shirtless in a commercial gym, you can try AF during odd hours. But of course ensure you don't get caught.

Join one of the specialized gyms where not wearing a shirt is a casual thing. Better yet, invest in a home gym where you can workout shirtless, pantless or even completely naked to your hearts content.

7 hours ago, Guest BeAn said:

Better yet, invest in a home gym where you can workout shirtless, pantless or even completely naked to your hearts content.

Haha...this reminded me of a local fitness coach I saw on twitter. He conducts 1 on 1 private fitness training at his home. His living room is full of gym machines and equipments. He uploaded lots pictures and short videos of himself in nude doing weights, pull-up, pumping, stretching, sandbag boxing and kicks, etc when he is alone at home. Really cool....!

• 2 months later...

From my observation of visiting a few neighbourhood public gym in KL. Here's a few signs that a gym allows shirtless workout:

High Chance

1) The receptionist or gym owner himself train or hang around shirtless

2) 2 or more member from different groups openly train shirtless using benches or machines (i.e. flexing in front of mirror doesn't count)

3) Facebook or Instagram or Google Map shows shirtless content (i.e. regular members who are not PT or Fitness Coach)

Medium Chance

1) No dedicated woman corner or low female population in the gym

2) No signs saying "Shirts must be worn" (Some gyms just mention shoes or proper attire must be worn at all times)

3) If there is an ongoing PT session and the student is working out shirtless

4) Non air-conditioned gym

5) Staff doesn't tell people to put their shirt back

6) Unstaffed hours in a 24/7 gym 

7) Gym with no CCTV 

😎 Shoplot gyms with 2 floors

9) Receptionist table doesn't face workout area

10) Gym with old school equipment (rusty weights)

Remember to do your research on their social media page to filter out whether working out shirtless is an acceptable norm in that particular gym before visiting to avoid disappointment

Guest Guest
58 minutes ago, radiusulnar said:

Maybe one more sign - they have a lot of disinfectant and rags for users to clean away all the perspiration from the bare skin from the equipment

I find barebody laying on gym equipment is quite dirty, esp the user never wipes off their perspiration properly after using for the next user to use the equipment. Most people are inconsiderate in the gym. 

absolutely bad, as a few pointed out there are many idiotic users who do not wipe down properly and considerably for the next user. unless it is for sex, why would someone who goes to a public gym want to take in another person's sweat?

Guest Guest
10 hours ago, Looking to rent said:

absolutely bad, as a few pointed out there are many idiotic users who do not wipe down properly and considerably for the next user. unless it is for sex, why would someone who goes to a public gym want to take in another person's sweat?

Agreed, no one wants to take in another person's sweat, it is dirty and unhygienic. Unless that person is your bf. So barebody in gym is a no no.

On 2/2/2024 at 6:38 AM, Ronald4672 said:

From my observation of visiting a few neighbourhood public gym in KL. Here's a few signs that a gym allows shirtless workout:

High Chance

1) The receptionist or gym owner himself train or hang around shirtless

2) 2 or more member from different groups openly train shirtless using benches or machines (i.e. flexing in front of mirror doesn't count)

3) Facebook or Instagram or Google Map shows shirtless content (i.e. regular members who are not PT or Fitness Coach)

Medium Chance

1) No dedicated woman corner or low female population in the gym

2) No signs saying "Shirts must be worn" (Some gyms just mention shoes or proper attire must be worn at all times)

3) If there is an ongoing PT session and the student is working out shirtless

4) Non air-conditioned gym

5) Staff doesn't tell people to put their shirt back

6) Unstaffed hours in a 24/7 gym 

7) Gym with no CCTV 

😎 Shoplot gyms with 2 floors

9) Receptionist table doesn't face workout area

10) Gym with old school equipment (rusty weights)

Remember to do your research on their social media page to filter out whether working out shirtless is an acceptable norm in that particular gym before visiting to avoid disappointment

Hi Ronald4672, congratulations on your first post.  Your analysis of the chances of a gym accepting shirtless workout makes much sense.

The question remains:  is shirtless gymming good or bad?   Independent of any judgment,  I prefer a gym where members have to wear shirts to work out.  Hygiene is an obvious reason, as pointed out in previous posts.   Another reason is that there is absolutely no practical reason to work out without a shirt.   A shirt provides added comfort by not feeling the cold slippery surface of the machine pads and metal bars.  And the view of shirtless men is mostly unpleasant, since usually only a few members are models of male beauty, and their showing off does not exemplify the best of character.  

It really depends on the context of the gym but honestly, the only acceptable reason to go shirtless is to to prevent shirts from becoming a sweat mop. This is applicable to gyms without AC.

Wearing tank tops would be a good middle ground. It manages sweat more, of course with a decent towel. Choice of clothing definitely makes a diffrence in getting an extraordinary workout in.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.