Male HQ

Still no promotion after 5 years

Guest Not good enough

Guest Not good enough

Quit or stay and leech? 

I quite enjoy leeching and zhuo bo to be honest. 

Last year I tested a theory of quiet quitting. Do just 10% of my capacity at work

And I still get the same good grade (average) for the same 5 years. 

When to know to quit? 

In the past few company I quit I was inspired by shawshank redemption, devil wears prada. 

Any recent movie recommendation to watch to inspire me to quit? 

4 hours ago, Guest Not good enough said:

Quit or stay and leech? 

Last year I tested a theory of quiet quitting. Do just 10% of my capacity at work

When to know to quit? 

In the past few company I quit I was inspired by shawshank redemption, devil wears prada. 

You are in civil service? 

11 minutes ago, robin said:

You are in civil service? 

no la, but its a local corporate brand, shall not name company...

do so much also no promotion, do little also same grade...

so do for what? just relax right the boss also clueless

It depends on what age you are at to decide if you should quit. If you are less than 40, you should quit and try get a higher pay. If above 40, I find is fine to nest in your company. Not all positions have development or advancement opportunity. It is not that you are not performing but is just the position you are in. I am above 45 and am happy doing the same old boring job but having very good work life balance and personal time. I know that I will be unhappy if having additional work and no life.

Guest Simple soul

What motivated me to work is not about promotion. I prefer to be comfortable and less stressful with my routine and expect my colleagues to leave me alone alone away from their politics. 

Guest Dumb ass
29 minutes ago, Guest Simple soul said:

What motivated me to work is not about promotion. I prefer to be comfortable and less stressful with my routine and expect my colleagues to leave me alone alone away from their politics. 

So let's say you and your colleague get the same pay. Let's say only 4k.

Both of you also doing the same routine. Less stress work. 

He got promoted so he get 5k now and since he is promoted, his work is mainly delegate to you. 

So you end up doing more work while still getting paid 4k and he gets 5k to do less. 

Next year. You get 4.1k. He promoted again to 6k to lead another team so the project you both working on now is all on you. 

So you end doing everything, while he end taking the credit and get a new pet project. 

Then when you say it is not a one man job, your boss hire another new manager to come and manage you... And in that same year deny you the promotion and new hire... 

Ask yourself la. Why so dumb? 

So in what scenario is that less stress? 

He reap the reward early and promoted. You get the shit and blames when you can't meet the deadline and deliverables now... 

Its reason like you that promotion is not performance based. Its who suck the boss cock better and who make the boss orgasm more at work. 

I used to have a bf like this. Always overtime always overworked complain that he one person handle multiple projects.. 

I already told him don't be stupid you won't get promotion one. Your company is just using you... 

And sure enough when appraisal came, he was damn sad that after all the extra hours and weekend he pour his heart and soul in he only get average performance. 

I told him why would a company increase their cost by increasing your salary? He just don't get it. And wanted to hold a session with his supervisor to find out what does it take for him to be noticed or promoted... You know those Internet advice about how to get a promotion etc. 

Basically his supervisor said something like "our team manages operations, there isn't much room for promotion, your next level is basically my position..." 

My ex bf was mad when he heard this and realised that his supervisor was suppressing his performance to protect his own rice bowl. 

I told him its better for him to focus on me. Or go swim tan with me on weekend etc. Go watch movie after work with me. Don't work extra. 

He finally took my advice. And started going to gym etc. He got bigger. More good looking. His confidence also radiates. 

Eventually he went for another interview and aced it. After working in his new job, his new team basically told him that he was hired cause he looks fit.. And that tells the interviewer that this guy is a disciplined and hardworking human that can achieve great thing when he put his mind to it. 

Then he realised that promotion is not based on just your work. It's your appearance, your speech, your attire, your hairstyle, your English accent, your humility, your empathy, your positive, your attitude. And when there is finally an opportunity for promotion that's when the boss will think of you.. 

But alas, he broke up with me after that cause he realised he can get a better bf. Last I heard of him he owns a condo now and drive car with a rich bf. 

Sometimes I wished he would have stayed as my lesser bf

Your boss excuses about company need to make money etc. It just serving his own agenda. His job is to suppress your pay so that his department earn more profit which translate to him earning a bigger profit. 

You dunno meh? 

Your boss drive car to work, come late, leave early. 

You worked like slave, jam packed in mrt to work, leave late for what? 

Stupid. No wonder he is the manager and you're the slave. 

43 minutes ago, Guest Ex bf said:

I used to have a bf like this. Always overtime always overworked complain that he one person handle multiple projects.. 

I already told him don't be stupid you won't get promotion one. Your company is just using you... 

And sure enough when appraisal came, he was damn sad that after all the extra hours and weekend he pour his heart and soul in he only get average performance. 

I told him why would a company increase their cost by increasing your salary? He just don't get it. And wanted to hold a session with his supervisor to find out what does it take for him to be noticed or promoted... You know those Internet advice about how to get a promotion etc. 

Basically his supervisor said something like "our team manages operations, there isn't much room for promotion, your next level is basically my position..." 

My ex bf was mad when he heard this and realised that his supervisor was suppressing his performance to protect his own rice bowl. 

I told him its better for him to focus on me. Or go swim tan with me on weekend etc. Go watch movie after work with me. Don't work extra. 

He finally took my advice. And started going to gym etc. He got bigger. More good looking. His confidence also radiates. 

Eventually he went for another interview and aced it. After working in his new job, his new team basically told him that he was hired cause he looks fit.. And that tells the interviewer that this guy is a disciplined and hardworking human that can achieve great thing when he put his mind to it. 

Then he realised that promotion is not based on just your work. It's your appearance, your speech, your attire, your hairstyle, your English accent, your humility, your empathy, your positive, your attitude. And when there is finally an opportunity for promotion that's when the boss will think of you.. 

But alas, he broke up with me after that cause he realised he can get a better bf. Last I heard of him he owns a condo now and drive car with a rich bf. 

Sometimes I wished he would have stayed as my lesser bf

Omg it must have really hurt for you!

Guest Big heart
46 minutes ago, briefsnottrunks said:

Omg it must have really hurt for you!

Okay la. Now my current bf is a fresh grad in nus. Same thing always stress about his studies, the job market. 

I think I'm attracted to a lesser bf. I need to be the protector, to sayang them. Take care of them.. Be their support... Then they leave me once I nurtured them. 

Sigh 

Guest Baby groomer
12 minutes ago, radiusulnar said:

if i could turn back the clock, i wish someone had nurtured me.

good for you that you do so!

Nurture is not groom hor. 

I become his punching bag, his problem all vent to me. 

Then Friday night I become his hole so he can fuck me and release stress. 

Then I cook meal for him to come over weekend. Then exam time I don't disturb him. Let him concentrate and study. 

Sometimes he tired on weekend or have assignments to rush, then I have to pay for his grab two ways. 

We don't go gai gai cause he doesn't want his friend to know. 

I'm also fine la whatever, most of our activities is done at the comfort of my humble home anyway. 

Then when he grow wings, get his first job and can buy stuff then find other better guys and leave me. 

Im so used to it. 

Guest Laughable
20 minutes ago, radiusulnar said:

i am sorry to hear that. hope you find someone who appreciates you and sticks with you in the long run

Until Singapore legalise gay marriage. This long run partnership doesn't exist. 

17 hours ago, Guest Not good enough said:

Quit or stay and leech? 

When to know to quit? 

If you use only 10% of your capacity at work,  let me make a suggestion:

How about, while using the 10% for your employer, using the other 90% of your capacity to increase your competence in something you love to do and can be your source of income? Could this be some mental exercise during your working hours?

Because...  wasting 90% of your capacity during eight hours for five days a week... aren't you throwing away a big chunk of your life time? 

Also, can you detect how other employees in your position get promoted?   If they do but you don't,  you could approach your supervisor and ask what is the reason for this, why you are passed over for promotions, and what, in his opinion, you need to do to get promoted.

Guest U Drama Queen
11 hours ago, Guest Dumb ass said:

He got promoted so he get 5k now and since he is promoted, his work is mainly delegate to you. 

You watched too much television Taiwan/Korea drama movie.

Colleague getting promoted doesn't mean he/she will rule over you, especially if both of you are reporting to the same supervisor/boss.   The promoted person will have more responsibility to answer to the boss, make to attend unproductive meetings and gave the boss more excuses to blame you on every things.   If you quit, the promoted person will also faced tremendous stress, thus he/she will most likely treat you even better than before.  Besides, if both of you have been on good working terms (as friend or co-worker),  most likely those positive relationship will continue even after the promotion.  

Guest Anti work
12 minutes ago, Guest U Drama Queen said:

You watched too much television Taiwan/Korea drama movie.

Colleague getting promoted doesn't mean he/she will rule over you, especially if both of you are reporting to the same supervisor/boss.   The promoted person will have more responsibility to answer to the boss, make to attend unproductive meetings and gave the boss more excuses to blame you on every things.   If you quit, the promoted person will also faced tremendous stress, thus he/she will most likely treat you even better than before.  Besides, if both of you have been on good working terms (as friend or co-worker),  most likely those positive relationship will continue even after the promotion.  

That's where you are wrong. How many times have you heard this from your manager "I haven't touch this program for so many years already.." 

And when customer demand meeting. Your manager "I'm busy, can you handle this?" 

How many times your manager is not around when there is fire? But when appraisal and performance time come, he will present like he has been micromanaging the project all by himself? 

That's is performance. Acting skills. 

Its like a drama. People only see actors and director, producer who set the scene, scout the location, edit the scene, writer who wrote the script. Light guy who handle the light etc. When it comes to good job, it's who? 

The actor who earn millions and the director. Everyone else is go eat shit. 

And you're like but the actor is super nice and down to earth. Yeah when you earn 1 million for shooting one TV episode, ofc you'll be happy and smiling everyday. 

Stupid. 

1 minute ago, Guest Haha said:

Then start the promotion race again reseting your years back to 0.

How fun

Of course find a higher paid job.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

7 minutes ago, fab said:

It is not easy to quit a job and then find a higher paid job.   This can be successful if while on the old job one has put the effort of acquiring superior skills that justify a higher pay.  Otherwise it is just a gamble.   Typical move is to take night classes for a certain degree and when graduating, then moving to this better paid job.

1 minute ago, Steve5380 said:

It is not easy to quit a job and then find a higher paid job.   This can be successful if while on the old job one has put the effort of acquiring superior skills that justify a higher pay.  Otherwise it is just a gamble.   Typical move is to take night classes for a certain degree and when graduating, then moving to this better paid job.

Education, degree and night classes?   I prefer to work outside the box and plan to become a Youtuber as my full time job,  creativity is unlimited.  

Guest Dumb fucks
16 minutes ago, fab said:

Why would the other company offer a higher paid job to a new nobody... Rather than promote their existing staff? 

Guest Anti manager
4 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

What if I told you all the fresh grad are degree holder. BUT the senior managers are not. 

Seriously they are from the time when degree is not a thing. From ITE cert only that's why when working under such uneducated boss, he will only promote his own kind... Clueless educated one who smoke the way up. 

How many time have you go "wow my managers damn smart le he managed to resolve this issue with his brain" and how man ntimes you wonder "honestly dunno what my manager actually do? Since i dunno what he does, I promoted to his job I also clueless what is the job really about?" 

All roads shouldn't lead to management. Management is a stupid title created to funnel money from company away from the real worker. 

Manager are nothing. Period. 

4 minutes ago, Guest huh? said:

Education, degree and night classes?   I prefer to work outside the box and plan to become a Youtuber as my full time job,  creativity is unlimited.  

You should also venture into insta, tik tok, only fans. Why limit yourseld to YouTube. And u start too late. Some child opening toys and review already earned millions score he even start to go to school. 

Guest U Drama Queen
32 minutes ago, Guest Anti work said:

That's where you are wrong. How many times have you heard this from your manager 

And when customer demand meeting. Your manager "I'm busy, can you handle this?" 

You either new bird or new in the job market and new to office environment or your office is completely void of harmony nor unity.  You are better off quitting or ask old birds for advices. 

Guest Manage my ass
3 minutes ago, Guest U Drama Queen said:

You either new bird or new in the job market and new to office environment or your office is completely void of harmony nor unity.  You are better off quitting or ask old birds for advices. 

That's why manager do nothing one. 

Their job is just forward email or answer to boss. Or ask for progress. Or ask for update. Or ask for this and that. 

Replace the manager with an intern and things will still run. And divide the manager salary to the worker instead. 

You must be a manager la. What are your skillset? I manage.

Manage what? 

I manage shit. 

21 hours ago, Guest Jttt said:

It depends on what age you are at to decide if you should quit. If you are less than 40, you should quit and try get a higher pay. If above 40, I find is fine to nest in your company. Not all positions have development or advancement opportunity. It is not that you are not performing but is just the position you are in. I am above 45 and am happy doing the same old boring job but having very good work life balance and personal time. I know that I will be unhappy if having additional work and no life.

Quite true, how fast to get promotion not only depend on your work performance but also depend on your position advancement opportunity, another factor must see your boss/superior. Some boss very stingy giving promotion to their staff, but some boss does not mind giving promotion to their staff every 2-3 years. My current company i have see some department their staff gets promotion not more than 4 years, ranging from 2-4 years. Whereas one department those staff need at least 5 years or more to get promoted. So if you follow the wrong boss, your promotion will take long and slow.

21 hours ago, Guest Dumb ass said:

So you end up doing more work while still getting paid 4k and he gets 5k to do less. 

Next year. You get 4.1k. He promoted again to 6k to lead another team so the project you both working on now is all on you. 

So you end doing everything, while he end taking the credit and get a new pet project. 

Then when you say it is not a one man job, your boss hire another new manager to come and manage you... And in that same year deny you the promotion and new hire... 

Ask yourself la. Why so dumb? 

So in what scenario is that less stress? 

He reap the reward early and promoted. You get the shit and blames when you can't meet the deadline and deliverables now... 

Its reason like you that promotion is not performance based. Its who suck the boss cock better and who make the boss orgasm more at work. 

Agreed, how fast get promotion depends on if you are your boss favourite or not. It is not about how good and bad your work performance. In one of the companies that i have worked before, some people get promotion almost every 2 years, and their pay increased very fast, even that person joins much later than some people. It is because their boss like them. Life is never fair. If you meet the right people, your career path improves tremendously, and pay grows very fast.

Guest AIYA!!!!!

Aiya!!!! Aiya ya!!!!   You guys huh!!!   Like me share with you my philosophy which is provened to be very very very accurate.   

The moment you stepped into an office,  whether as blue or white collar workers,  don't harbour any expecation of any kind.   If you want freedom, want happiness, want recognition and want to be entitled you are going to be very very very dissappointed.    Ambitious people don't work for someone, they worked for themselves.  If you are so smart and talented,  proved it to yourself, not to your boss or colleagues or anyone who wanted you  to prove to them.   Go find your own world lah!!! For heaven sake!

• 2 weeks later...

Also:

It's important to remember that your work and behavior can have an impact on your colleagues and your company's success. You should consider the ethical and professional implications of "leeching" or only doing 10% of your capacity at work.

As for movie recommendations, it's important to remember that movies are fictional and may not always represent real-life situations accurately. Instead of looking to movies for inspiration to quit, it may be helpful to seek advice from trusted friends, family, or colleagues, or seek guidance from a career counselor or professional. They can help you evaluate your options and make an informed decision about your career.

Hmm depending on the type of company you are in and the age group one is in I guess. For the younger age groups it seems like moving from job to job seem to be the current trend. You’ll be surprised what some companies would pay for the same skills and at the same time moving from company to company also increases the exposure to different sets of problems in different fields making the portfolio better.

The types of companies also matter in the sense that there are some which offers more room to grow than others. Companies which are expanding or for good or bad reasons require more staff seems like places where once could get promoted. Usually these are places which are cray cray in terms of stress levels. They either hire you into a higher position or you’ll get promoted quite soon after you join as people of higher positions are leaving and they can’t really hire anyone to fill the space etc. If one can take the stress for a year or two, the next job you can actually look for similar positions.

Unfortunately, for larger stable corporates it seems like the trend for promotions doesn’t look promising. Seems like they function in such a way that you are waiting for people to retire such that openings for higher positions come up and even then, the idea of hiring someone else with a good portfolio and multiple experience to take up those positions is more enticing then promoting existing staffs as new people higher up means rejuvenation of the system to keep up with times. Of course there are those who still promote their staffs fairly but I don’t think many companies do that.

I am facing a similar situation…

I will turn 5yrs in my current company by August this year(longest ever, no long service award). 

singapore office team is only less than 5 pax excluding bosses, we are the headquarters where subsidiary team will report to us. Work life balance, very good boss, colleagues are ok since not much people. Past 3yrs bonus was good. Only thing is minimal increment, and no promotion (even increase in responsibilities).

Of cos I know there is no perfect job, this job is really 1 of the best, but having people around me (friends) getting higher position/pay makes me thinking if I shd change company?

bonus is not forever good. Any opinion?

Guest guest
7 hours ago, sg89ailikesi said:

I am facing a similar situation…

I will turn 5yrs in my current company by August this year(longest ever, no long service award). 

singapore office team is only less than 5 pax excluding bosses, we are the headquarters where subsidiary team will report to us. Work life balance, very good boss, colleagues are ok since not much people. Past 3yrs bonus was good. Only thing is minimal increment, and no promotion (even increase in responsibilities).

Of cos I know there is no perfect job, this job is really 1 of the best, but having people around me (friends) getting higher position/pay makes me thinking if I shd change company?

bonus is not forever good. Any opinion?

If the company is giving good bonus, maybe this is why they do not have good increment. Since you said your company only have less than 5 pax, i guess there would not have much career advancement, since how far and high position can they promote you. Usually promotion is easier in a bigger company, and which have more level, so that they can promote you once every 2-3 years. If the team is small, maybe the highest position that you can go is assistant manager and then stop there. Because not possible to promote you to manager since your boss already a manager.

19 hours ago, Guest guest said:

If the company is giving good bonus, maybe this is why they do not have good increment. Since you said your company only have less than 5 pax, i guess there would not have much career advancement, since how far and high position can they promote you. Usually promotion is easier in a bigger company, and which have more level, so that they can promote you once every 2-3 years. If the team is small, maybe the highest position that you can go is assistant manager and then stop there. Because not possible to promote you to manager since your boss already a manager.

U are totally right. So is a tough decision since is a 5yr mark already.

Guest guest
4 hours ago, sg89ailikesi said:

U are totally right. So is a tough decision since is a 5yr mark already.

Depends on what you want or see if you are those who like to climb up the corporate ladder. Getting higher position and salary also need to pay a price for it, like handle more responsibilities, cannot knock off on time, more stress from work etc.

Guest Guest

Some boss is very stingy on giving promotion to their staff, nothing much got to do with your work performance. And some boss their expectation is very high to justify any promotion. So if you have such bosses, then difficult to get promotion or need to wait many many years for one promotion.

The bell curve is a system that has been used for many years to grade employee performance. It is based on the idea that employees are placed in categories of below average (D), average (C), and excellent (B) based on their performance. 

Each department is allocated with numbers of B, C and D. Managers are forced to grade and rank their pool of employee based on their performance. Usually, those potential one will be graded B. Do note that some organizations do set a stringent criteria for promotion, eg. at least graded B for consecutively 2 years before they are able to put up for promotion. Even you are graded B for consecutive years, it doesn’t mean you will be automatically promoted, it will also be based on ranking. All the B grade(rs) will be placed into a ranking system (knockout) and the top X number of employees will be promoted.

I had my fair share of fighting for pay rise and sometimes comes with promotion. 

But I’m reaching 50 soon and do not seek for promotion or pay rise anymore. I just want a normal routine job. But my manager keep pushing me to go upgrade or improve my skill.  I know she mean well and genuinely wanna foster. Even if it is not for the sake of promotion, I feel that it will benefit in my role. 

Problem is I dun feel like it. How can I tell my manager to just leave me alone?

Guest Guest
7 hours ago, tyan said:

I had my fair share of fighting for pay rise and sometimes comes with promotion. 

But I’m reaching 50 soon and do not seek for promotion or pay rise anymore. I just want a normal routine job. But my manager keep pushing me to go upgrade or improve my skill.  I know she mean well and genuinely wanna foster. Even if it is not for the sake of promotion, I feel that it will benefit in my role. 

Problem is I dun feel like it. How can I tell my manager to just leave me alone?

You are really lucky that you have a manager who keep pushing you to go upgrade or improve your skill, knowing that it will benefit in your role. Do you know how many managers pushes other people to be upgraded with useless skills just to meet their own KPIs, and some even reject request from employees to upgrade themselves! 

Hey ... You are already reaching 50, so wake up your idea already! I am really not a person who will tell others to go upgrade themselves because, as a victim of the Sg open door policy, I am personally aware that nobody in charge really cares how upgraded Singaporeans are. But when you have a boss like that who even cares, you owe it to both you yourself and her to go upgrade yourself soon! 

The failure of the open-door policies on Singaporeans are real and they are happening.  You may not even end up with a "normal routine job" even if you do an upgrade, and it will even be worse for someone like you who is approaching his 50s if you don't!

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

You are really lucky that you have a manager who keep pushing you to go upgrade or improve your skill, knowing that it will benefit in your role. Do you know how many managers pushes other people to be upgraded with useless skills just to meet their own KPIs, and some even reject request from employees to upgrade themselves! 

Hey ... You are already reaching 50, so wake up your idea already! I am really not a person who will tell others to go upgrade themselves because, as a victim of the Sg open door policy, I am personally aware that nobody in charge really cares how upgraded Singaporeans are. But when you have a boss like that who even cares, you owe it to both you yourself and her to go upgrade yourself soon! 

The failure of the open-door policies on Singaporeans are real and they are happening.  You may not even end up with a "normal routine job" even if you do an upgrade, and it will even be worse for someone like you who is approaching his 50s if you don't!

I exactly know what you mean but I’m just like a snorlax. Just want to lay back. But the fact that I need to constantly upgrade is making me feeling breathless. I know I am lazy and old. So each time my manager poke, I will move a bit. Haha. 

8 hours ago, tyan said:

If you have a good excuse, such as a lack of time or interest in the course owing to caring for elderly parents or a lack of funds to upgrade. Your manager will comprehend, I'm sure of it. Unless one is highly passionate about something, people do not upgrade simply just for the sake of upgrading. Yet, if upgrading can help you get a better job with a higher salary without you having to pay for it, go ahead and accept it with an agenda.   

Many people have various personalities. As people get older, some prefer a slower pace of life while others become more assertive. Will you make your wheelchair-bound grandpa attend MBA classes every night just so our politicians will think he is a local talent in our modern society? Remember that I can see plenty of ineffective politicians in our neighborhood, some of whom only have a very common education and not very fluent in parliament, but called themselves "elite".     

Guest guest
11 hours ago, tyan said:

If you tell your boss that you just want a normal routine job and doesn't want to upgrade yourself, then your boss would see you no up and might regret to employ you since some bosses don't like their staff to just want a routine job and knock off on the dot.

Guest guest
2 hours ago, tyan said:

I exactly know what you mean but I’m just like a snorlax. Just want to lay back. But the fact that I need to constantly upgrade is making me feeling breathless. I know I am lazy and old. So each time my manager poke, I will move a bit. Haha. 

Actually you are not that old yet, just reaching 50. If you plan to retire at 63-65, still have at least another 10 years plus to go. I think manager would not like to poke their staff, then they will move a bit. They like their staff to be pro-active and initiative and show that they are interested to take up more job scope. Esp if you are in the executive level. Unless you are just an assistant in the low level, then manager might not interested to poke at you. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.