Male HQ

Still no promotion after 5 years

Guest Not good enough

Guest guest
6 hours ago, Ironrod said:

https://thoughtcatalog.com/?p=507898

I think ppl needs to understand you don't get promoted due to longevity and also do not expect for a promotion by doing the same thing over and over again.

Read the article and have the right mindset. If you understand changing job, promotion is also the same. 

But i see some people got promoted even though they are doing about the same job scope after promotion. Perhaps their boss knows how to motivate and appreciate the hard work that their staff have done. Even though there are not much big changes to the job scope after promotion.

I have work for boss that knows how to motivate their staff by giving promotion not more than 4 years. Even my job scope not many changes. And i have worked for boss who only promote their staff when there is an additional of job scope and more responsibilities are given. If not wait long long for any promotion. Such boss never motivate their staff.

Guest Guest

6 hours ago, Why? said:

Will you make your wheelchair-bound grandpa attend MBA classes every night just so our politicians will think he is a local talent in our modern society? 

I think you missed the point here: Even if you can make your wheelchair-bound grandpa attend MBA classes every night, our politicians will still NOT think he is a local talent in our modern society. 

6 hours ago, tyan said:

I exactly know what you mean but I’m just like a snorlax. Just want to lay back. But the fact that I need to constantly upgrade is making me feeling breathless. I know I am lazy and old. So each time my manager poke, I will move a bit. Haha. 

Snorlax or no snorlax, it is not about waiting for your manager to poke. It is about whether you still need this job to live till a ripe old age of 85 or even 90 years old or not. I have seen people feeling sad the age of 65 because of the prospects of retiring at that age. Their sadness do not stem from concerns that they have nothing to do after retirement, but because they have no money to spend till they are 85. 

At your age, your job can be easily and happily surrendered by our politicians to foreigners who are far less qualified than you, and yet still pretend to be far more qualified than you. 

Yes, it is an enormous chore to go for these yearly upgrading courses. What I did in the past was to spend a few days at the beginning of the year to get all these done and get it over with, and I will be free for the whole year, or maybe even two years. 

It really depends on what job level you are at. If you are a at a junior position, the chances of being promoted to the next level (provided if you have no performance and character issues) would be high. 
If you are already at senior management position like senior director, it will not be so easy to get a promotion even though you have been in that position for 5 years!

Otherwise, almost everyone who stay longer in a company will be CEO in the same company!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest
On 3/8/2023 at 7:21 AM, bluerunner said:

It really depends on what job level you are at. If you are a at a junior position, the chances of being promoted to the next level (provided if you have no performance and character issues) would be high. 
If you are already at senior management position like senior director, it will not be so easy to get a promotion even though you have been in that position for 5 years!

Otherwise, almost everyone who stay longer in a company will be CEO in the same company!

If the person already at a senior position, i don't think need to promote anymore, since the position already at the top level and also the salary already so high. If i am in such position, even i have been in this position for more than 10 years also don't mind.

But if you are in the low or middle position, if did not get promote, or stay in the same position for more than 5 years. Imagine the loss of higher salary would be getting over those 5 years or more.

• 1 month later...
Guest guest
15 minutes ago, Guest Pranav said:

If my boss always say that I'm not there yet and doesn't want to promote me for 7 years now, should I leave?

Maybe you have very high expectation boss. I also have a boss who only consider promoting their staff every 5-6 years. Since she does not believe giving promotion every 2-3 years like other bosses. So if you are unlucky to have such boss, then too bad, even though your work performance is ok.

44 minutes ago, Guest Pranav said:

If my boss always say that I'm not there yet and doesn't want to promote me for 7 years now, should I leave?

You can always ask your boss what will it take for you to get there. Find out what is lacking in your qualifications, job performance, etc., and work out an achievable plan with your boss, if he or she is open to it, to help you get there.

Love. 

On 2/7/2023 at 3:11 AM, Guest Not good enough said:

Quit or stay and leech? 

I quite enjoy leeching and zhuo bo to be honest. 

Last year I tested a theory of quiet quitting. Do just 10% of my capacity at work

And I still get the same good grade (average) for the same 5 years. 

When to know to quit? 

In the past few company I quit I was inspired by shawshank redemption, devil wears prada. 

Any recent movie recommendation to watch to inspire me to quit? 

Five years is a long time.   Something good can be achieved in such time.

If in the 5 years of leeching and zhuo bo you would have taken the opportunity of using the remaining 90% of your capacity at work to improve your knowledge, skills, personality, physical attributes,  could you by now be competent enough to find a job that pays more?

Guest Mindful
9 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Five years is a long time.   Something good can be achieved in such time.

If in the 5 years of leeching and zhuo bo you would have taken the opportunity of using the remaining 90% of your capacity at work to improve your knowledge, skills, personality, physical attributes,  could you by now be competent enough to find a job that pays more?

I think it's unkind and unnecessary to use terms like 'leeching' to describe the above scenario.  

Guest Leech then what?
21 minutes ago, Guest Mindful said:

I think it's unkind and unnecessary to use terms like 'leeching' to describe the above scenario.  

So what is the term to use? Like right now, this whole morning I just browse forums and reddit. 

Later lunch going for 2 hours lunch. 

Come back just surf Internet do some research work. 

Guest guest
On 5/11/2023 at 11:49 PM, doncoin said:

You can always ask your boss what will it take for you to get there. Find out what is lacking in your qualifications, job performance, etc., and work out an achievable plan with your boss, if he or she is open to it, to help you get there.

Maybe his boss is looking for another person who is as capable and smart as himself. That's why so difficult to justify a reason promoting his staff?

Anyway, what is the norm for people to get promotion in a company? I have worked in company that 5 years or more for a promotion is common, esp if the promotion is promoted to a new job title. Like from an executive to a senior executive. If promotion is only from one grade to another grade but same job title, maybe faster.

4 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Maybe his boss is looking for another person who is as capable and smart as himself. That's why so difficult to justify a reason promoting his staff?

Who knows? There could be several reasons. Maybe the budget he has been allocated does not give him room to promote another staff without eliminating the position of another. 

4 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Anyway, what is the norm for people to get promotion in a company? I have worked in company that 5 years or more for a promotion is common, esp if the promotion is promoted to a new job title. Like from an executive to a senior executive. If promotion is only from one grade to another grade but same job title, maybe faster.

Most companies have some sort of grading system to help guide managers and supervisors when writing a performance review. The performance review is what they will use to determine the percentage increase of the salary and where possible a promotion. When I worked at a large conglomerate, I was promoted from associate to manager after my first year and stuck in the manager position for 2 years before I moved up to senior manager. I was at the right place at the right time then, as my group was expanding, so after 1 year I was promoted again to director and was in that role for 2 years. 

TBH, the differences in the roles and responsibilities I had between being a senior manager and director was minuscule. The only difference is at the director level, I had 3 people reporting to me vs. 1. 

The reality is after some time, people look less at the titles you hold, and more at what have you done and the value you bring. 

Love. 

Guest Projection
23 hours ago, Guest Leech then what? said:

So what is the term to use? Like right now, this whole morning I just browse forums and reddit. 

Later lunch going for 2 hours lunch. 

Come back just surf Internet do some research work. 

What does it mean when someone is projecting?

According to Karen R. Koenig, M. Ed, LCSW, projection refers to unconsciously taking unwanted emotions or traits you don't like about yourself and attributing them to someone else.

Guest guest
15 hours ago, doncoin said:

Who knows? There could be several reasons. Maybe the budget he has been allocated does not give him room to promote another staff without eliminating the position of another. 

Most companies have some sort of grading system to help guide managers and supervisors when writing a performance review. The performance review is what they will use to determine the percentage increase of the salary and where possible a promotion. When I worked at a large conglomerate, I was promoted from associate to manager after my first year and stuck in the manager position for 2 years before I moved up to senior manager. I was at the right place at the right time then, as my group was expanding, so after 1 year I was promoted again to director and was in that role for 2 years. 

TBH, the differences in the roles and responsibilities I had between being a senior manager and director was minuscule. The only difference is at the director level, I had 3 people reporting to me vs. 1. 

The reality is after some time, people look less at the titles you hold, and more at what have you done and the value you bring. 

You got promoted after first year, very fast. And 2 years later got promoted again, lagi fast. Your boss treat you not bad. Give you promotion so fast. So far the companies i worked, never see people got promoted less than 1 year. The fastest is every 2 year. Average is between 2 to 4 years. But first time see such a boss that only consider promote their staff 5-7 years in my current company. Even there was one time one staff took 10 years to get promoted, and this staff performance is all the while above average somemore.

5 hours ago, Guest guest said:

You got promoted after first year, very fast. And 2 years later got promoted again, lagi fast. Your boss treat you not bad. Give you promotion so fast. So far the companies i worked, never see people got promoted less than 1 year. The fastest is every 2 year. Average is between 2 to 4 years. But first time see such a boss that only consider promote their staff 5-7 years in my current company. Even there was one time one staff took 10 years to get promoted, and this staff performance is all the while above average somemore.

To provide context to my "fast" ascendency.

My group then reported directly to the CEO, and my boss, the EVP, has a thing about keeping the team lean. Even at our largest, there were about 15 -18 of us if i recall. At the VP level, there was an unspoken rule then if you don't close a major account within the first 3 to 4 months of joining, you are off to the chopping block. I've been through 4 VPs in the 6 years I was in the group. It's not that they are not good, it's just that they are not the best. For the last 2 years when I was with the company, I report to the EVP directly on some projects we were working on. I learned a lot from her. She is crazy to some, but she taught me things that I still apply in my work today and she opened several doors for me when I decided to leave the company to do my own thing.

Looking back, the opportunities were there for me to grow and I supposed I was at the right place at the right time. Many people joined my team but quit due to the stress and whatever reasons. So there was plenty of room to advance. Working under her was super stressful but had plenty of perks, and most importantly, when people in the company or industry know you have worked in her team for more than a year, it opens a lot of doors. Part of the job is handling stress and learning how to deal with her. She has a reputation. Of those who thrived under her, several ended up pretty far ahead in their careers. One of the people I know who started as an assistant is now the head of Europe of the company. 

Back to promotion. One of the things I think was helpful in advancing my career was during our annual team retreat we have to work on our career goals and develop a tangible plan on how to accomplish them. You then share the goals with your direct supervisor, and with their input, you edit your plan and develop milestones. Every couple of months, I will meet with my supervisor to discuss the challenges, etc. and the milestones I have accomplished or not. Some are as simple as enrolling in certain classes, or being the lead in a project etc. As long as you check the boxes in the milestones you have developed, and the supervisor agrees and there is a vacancy for the role, you get promoted. That is the simple version of my promotion path.  

The whole idea with promotion really is can this person take on more responsibility and do it well? 

Love. 

Guest guest

The person takes on more responsibility and do it well to get promotion? I personally still think whether a person get promotion or not still largely depend on the immediate boss that do your appraisal. Some boss really quite stingy in giving promotion to their staff, and really must find a very very good reason to justify any promotion, even from one grade to another grade. Whereas some boss chin chye chin chye, if you can do the tasks given, the boss would try to give promotion not more than 3 years. Or some even better boss, even no give promotion but give higher increment.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.