Guest Guest

Guest Guest

https://mothership.sg/2023/03/malaysia-men-shorts-too-short/

7 M'sia men given warnings for wearing short shorts

Uh-oh.

Fasiha Nazren | Fiona Tan | clock.png March 21, 2023, 10:59 AM

malaysia-men-shorts-too-short.jpg

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/mothershipsg

Seven men in Malaysia were given warnings after the shorts they were wearing were deemed too short.

Public complaint launched joint operation

Malaysian news outlet Sinar Harian reported that the men were discovered in the state of Kelantan during a joint operation, Ops Bersepadu, on Mar. 17, 2023.

men-short-shorts-1.jpgImage from Majlis Daerah Tanah Merah/Facebook.

men-short-shorts-2.jpgImage from Majlis Daerah Tanah Merah/Facebook.

The operation was conducted by the Tanah Merah District Council, Tanah Merah District Health Office, and the National Anti-Drugs Agency.

The authorities decided to investigate after a member of the public complained about a supposed shisha business at a food and beverage establishment near Gertak Chaber.

Shorts were above the knees

There, they saw the seven men, whose ages ranged from teenagers to the 20s, wearing shorts that were above knee-length.

Sinar Harian wrote that the shorts reached somewhere around the men's thighs, but did not specify the exact lengths.

These men subsequently received warning notices from the Department of Islamic Welfare Kelantan (JAHEAIK) for exposing their aurat, or private parts, in a public place, according to Tanah Merah District Council's Facebook post.

Fined RM3,400

The authorities also seized six shisha units from the premises.

men-short-shorts-5.jpgImage from Majlis Daerah Tanah Merah/Facebook.

The men were issued a total of 16 fines – 11 for offences under the Control of Tobacco Product Regulations and five for violating Food Hygiene Regulations – which amounted to RM3,400, or S$1,010.

Tanah Merah District Council said they will continue to surveil the area to prevent similar shisha activities from arising.

Not the first time

This is not the first time that an individual in Malaysia has gotten into trouble with local authorities due to their attire.

However, the incidents have mostly involved women thus far, where they have been stopped from entering official government premises.

Recently, a woman was barred from entering a hospital in Malaysia due to a supposed "misunderstanding" about the dress code.

In a video related to the incident that was uploaded on Twitter, the woman was allegedly stopped by a security guard at the hospital.

She could be seen wearing pants that went past her knees.

In the wake of such incidents, Malaysian Health Minister Zaliha Mustafa said patients seeking medical attention at government health facilities should not be turned away because of their attire.

In other countries men would flock to the streets with shorts just to demonstrate the stupidity of such "fines".

Quote:

There, they saw the seven men, whose ages ranged from teenagers to the 20s, wearing shorts that were above knee-length.

Sinar Harian wrote that the shorts reached somewhere around the men's thighs, but did not specify the exact lengths.

These men subsequently received warning notices from the Department of Islamic Welfare Kelantan (JAHEAIK) for exposing their aurat, or private parts, in a public place, according to Tanah Merah District Council's Facebook post.

quote end.

The men should have taken a lawyer to represent themselves and pretended that they just finished playing soccer and rested for a while.

Just object.

If the article / reporter can't even quote the length of their shorts, then?

Unfortunately, these men are mostly poor, if not fight it up to the highest court in Malaysia.

Probably , in the end Kelantan can't even introduce such laws as they object the Federal laws.

The custom conforms with awrah, an Islamic practice that governs how people cover their bodily parts while appearing in public. Men are required to abide by the practice, too, but the dress code is different for them. While out in public, men in Kelantan must always cover themselves at least from the navel down to the knees, according to the code.

Will Kelantan introduce male burkinis soon for men doing sports in public? 😂

Why didn't these players got fined in Kelantan?

JDT II ikat Kelantan FC

22 Julai 2022

JDT II ikat Kelantan FC

PENYERANG Kelantan, Nurshamil Abd. Ghani (kanan) meraikan jaringannya menerusi sepakan penalti. - IHSAN TRW KELANTAN FC

Hentikan gelar Kelantan FC, Kelantan United adik-beradik

Jumaat, 27 Mei 2022

Hentikan gelar Kelantan FC, Kelantan United adik-beradik' - Sukan | Majoriti

Kelantan United, Kelantan FC tidak akan bergabung

KELANTAN FC yang dimiliki Norizam Tukiman menunjukkan prestasi cemerlang dalam Liga Perdana musim ini.

13 September 2022

Edited by singalion

Malaysia needs to ban soccer, basketball, boxing and swimming 

You’re not alone. If you’d like to speak to someone, help is available at the following centres:

Samaritans of Singapore (SOS) 24-hour Hotline: 1800 221 4444 or pat@sos.org.sg.
Institute of Mental Health’s 24-hour Hotline: 6389 2222
Care Corner Counselling Centre (English and Mandarin): 6353 1180
Singapore Association for Mental Health: 1800 283 7019

7 minutes ago, hahaha said:

Malaysia needs to ban soccer, basketball, boxing and swimming 

As to my info: This law only applies to the Malaysian states of Kelantan and Terengganu!

Both are governed by the Islamic Party PAS.

Not to the rest of the country.

Other States however practise some restraint on clothing if you enter government authorities.

This applies mostly to women.

There is no law but just an "unwritten rule" to dress decently.

I found the "tomboy" act by PAS implemented in Terrengganu state in Oct 2022  interesting:

Women wearing men’s clothing and behaving like men can be fined up to RM2,000 or jailed up to a year, or both. For subsequent offences, they can be caned up to six times or jailed up to three years, or both, and fined up to RM5,000.

But the state’s Syariah Implementation, Education and Higher Education Committee chairman Satiful Bahari Mamat said he hoped that “the well-being of Muslims, especially in Terengganu, will be better protected” with the amendments.

He said the section on women acting like men was needed as existing legal provisions applied only to men acting like women.

“In the past, it may not have been much of an issue (women acting like men). Now, however, we see that ‘pengkid’ (Malay slang for tomboys or lesbians) and similar cases are becoming more widespread. So, the state government intends to curb this issue,” he was quoted as saying by Bernama news agency.

21 hours ago, singalion said:

As to my info: This law only applies to the Malaysian states of Kelantan and Terengganu!

Both are governed by the Islamic Party PAS.

Not to the rest of the country.

Other States however practise some restraint on clothing if you enter government authorities.

This applies mostly to women.

There is no law but just an "unwritten rule" to dress decently.

I found the "tomboy" act by PAS implemented in Terrengganu state in Oct 2022  interesting:

Women wearing men’s clothing and behaving like men can be fined up to RM2,000 or jailed up to a year, or both. For subsequent offences, they can be caned up to six times or jailed up to three years, or both, and fined up to RM5,000.

But the state’s Syariah Implementation, Education and Higher Education Committee chairman Satiful Bahari Mamat said he hoped that “the well-being of Muslims, especially in Terengganu, will be better protected” with the amendments.

He said the section on women acting like men was needed as existing legal provisions applied only to men acting like women.

“In the past, it may not have been much of an issue (women acting like men). Now, however, we see that ‘pengkid’ (Malay slang for tomboys or lesbians) and similar cases are becoming more widespread. So, the state government intends to curb this issue,” he was quoted as saying by Bernama news agency.

"This law only applies to the Malaysian states of Kelantan and Terengganu!"

This is according to my understanding too.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:59 PM, Guest Guest said:

https://mothership.sg/2023/03/malaysia-men-shorts-too-short/

7 M'sia men given warnings for wearing short shorts

Uh-oh.

Fasiha Nazren | Fiona Tan | clock.png March 21, 2023, 10:59 AM

malaysia-men-shorts-too-short.jpg

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/mothershipsg

Seven men in Malaysia were given warnings after the shorts they were wearing were deemed too short.

Public complaint launched joint operation

Malaysian news outlet Sinar Harian reported that the men were discovered in the state of Kelantan during a joint operation, Ops Bersepadu, on Mar. 17, 2023.

men-short-shorts-1.jpgImage from Majlis Daerah Tanah Merah/Facebook.

men-short-shorts-2.jpgImage from Majlis Daerah Tanah Merah/Facebook.

The operation was conducted by the Tanah Merah District Council, Tanah Merah District Health Office, and the National Anti-Drugs Agency.

The authorities decided to investigate after a member of the public complained about a supposed shisha business at a food and beverage establishment near Gertak Chaber.

Sinar Harian wrote that the shorts reached somewhere around the men's thighs, but did not specify the exact lengths.

These men subsequently received warning notices from the Department of Islamic Welfare Kelantan (JAHEAIK) for exposing their aurat, or private parts, in a public place, according to Tanah Merah District Council's Facebook post.

Fined RM3,400

The authorities also seized six shisha units from the premises.

men-short-shorts-5.jpgImage from Majlis Daerah Tanah Merah/Facebook.

The men were issued a total of 16 fines – 11 for offences under the Control of Tobacco Product Regulations and five for violating Food Hygiene Regulations – which amounted to RM3,400, or S$1,010.

Tanah Merah District Council said they will continue to surveil the area to prevent similar shisha activities from arising.

Not the first time

This is not the first time that an individual in Malaysia has gotten into trouble with local authorities due to their attire.

However, the incidents have mostly involved women thus far, where they have been stopped from entering official government premises.

Recently, a woman was barred from entering a hospital in Malaysia due to a supposed "misunderstanding" about the dress code.

In a video related to the incident that was uploaded on Twitter, the woman was allegedly stopped by a security guard at the hospital.

She could be seen wearing pants that went past her knees.

In the wake of such incidents, Malaysian Health Minister Zaliha Mustafa said patients seeking medical attention at government health facilities should not be turned away because of their attire.

"These men subsequently received warning notices from the Department of Islamic Welfare Kelantan (JAHEAIK) for exposing their aurat, or private parts, in a public place, according to Tanah Merah District Council's Facebook post. "

If the warning was issued by the Department of Islamic Welfare Kelantan (JAHEAIK), I wonder if the Department's authority extends only to the Muslims or if it has authority over non-Muslims as well.  I am not sure on this matter.

44 minutes ago, yhtang said:

"These men subsequently received warning notices from the Department of Islamic Welfare Kelantan (JAHEAIK) for exposing their aurat, or private parts, in a public place, according to Tanah Merah District Council's Facebook post. "

If the warning was issued by the Department of Islamic Welfare Kelantan (JAHEAIK), I wonder if the Department's authority extends only to the Muslims or if it has authority over non-Muslims as well.  I am not sure on this matter.

Such laws by the Federal Constitution of Malaysia cannot stretch to Non Muslims.

Quote:

Non-Muslim female workers in Kelantan will not be required to follow the new regulation.

“The ruling is a must for Muslim women workers, but non-Muslims are encouraged to wear proper clothes. I would like to thank the non-Muslim community in the state for their support of the state government’s policy,” the New Straits Times newspaper quoted Abdul Fattah as saying.

Same goes for men.

Man could be fined by Kelantan authorities for wearing shorts

26 Sep 2017

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 26 — Kelantan’s religious authorities told a Muslim man he could be fined for wearing shorts to play futsal.

The Star reported that Wan Khairul Hayyee Wali, 30, was met by a religious official on the way to play futsal when he stopped to buy his wife a burger.

He was told to attend a counselling session next month, and should he fail to attend he would be called to appear before the Syariah court and possibly fined RM1,000.

The dress code is strictly applicable to Muslims only, said a Kelantan Islamic Religious Affairs Department officer who also added that non-Muslims would not be liable to any action.

The Malaysia states have no authority to regulate non Muslim people on religious matters.

But note that top less guys at a beach could be arrested or fined for "inappropriate" or indecent appearance. Same goes for women batching top less or being top less exposing their tits on beaches.

PAS has been trying to introduce also separate tour guides for women and men in both states. Not sure, it was implemented.

Actually, implementing such different laws for people of different religions just creates confusion and unfairness.

What I wonder is, that it is common for boys or young men to play soccer without wearing a shirt. When would you do a cut off? Once they grow pubic hair? 🤣

Things can only change back, if the citizens in those states stop voting for such religious parties.

Edited by singalion

Note on the discussion that the boys got "warning notices" and not fines.

For any second "offence", they would require to undergo "counselling".

As to my personal observation these religious "reminders" always kick in prior to any muslim events such as fasting etc...

Here is a picture of the guys that the Muslim police caught in Kelantan:

(Hopefully they can read the warning letter...)

https://i.newscdn.net/publisher-c1a3f893382d2b2f8a9aa22a654d9c97/2023/03/d76179c7c3995922188e7243456da90f.jpg=s800

It makes centimeters to be caught for Muslim men there... 😂

Would love seeing them playing soccer in a sarong...

Edited by singalion

7 hours ago, singalion said:

Such laws by the Federal Constitution of Malaysia cannot stretch to Non Muslims.

Quote:

Non-Muslim female workers in Kelantan will not be required to follow the new regulation.

“The ruling is a must for Muslim women workers, but non-Muslims are encouraged to wear proper clothes. I would like to thank the non-Muslim community in the state for their support of the state government’s policy,” the New Straits Times newspaper quoted Abdul Fattah as saying.

Same goes for men.

Man could be fined by Kelantan authorities for wearing shorts

26 Sep 2017

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 26 — Kelantan’s religious authorities told a Muslim man he could be fined for wearing shorts to play futsal.

The Star reported that Wan Khairul Hayyee Wali, 30, was met by a religious official on the way to play futsal when he stopped to buy his wife a burger.

He was told to attend a counselling session next month, and should he fail to attend he would be called to appear before the Syariah court and possibly fined RM1,000.

The dress code is strictly applicable to Muslims only, said a Kelantan Islamic Religious Affairs Department officer who also added that non-Muslims would not be liable to any action.

The Malaysia states have no authority to regulate non Muslim people on religious matters.

But note that top less guys at a beach could be arrested or fined for "inappropriate" or indecent appearance. Same goes for women batching top less or being top less exposing their tits on beaches.

PAS has been trying to introduce also separate tour guides for women and men in both states. Not sure, it was implemented.

Actually, implementing such different laws for people of different religions just creates confusion and unfairness.

What I wonder is, that it is common for boys or young men to play soccer without wearing a shirt. When would you do a cut off? Once they grow pubic hair? 🤣

Things can only change back, if the citizens in those states stop voting for such religious parties.

I totally agree with your sentiments, and I do hope you are correct.

My concern is this; you quoted the article from 2017 - my worry is that the authorities may have changed their stance and widened their powers (until they are challenged). 

I understand that in Kelantan, there are gender specific queues and this was enacted by the local council, which means it is applicable to everyone.  I fear the religious authorities there may follow suit and imagine their authority extends beyond the Muslim community. 

Guest Guest
On 3/23/2023 at 2:40 AM, kelly6 said:

Back in the 80s, the usual men's shorts were even shorter than today's ladies shorts.

Hahaha.....so true. I saw my father's 80s photos taken with all his male friends. All shorts they wore at that era were ultra short. Noticed they like to wear those white colour vintage tennis tight shorts (with button and zip) that show their big bulge. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.