Male HQ

Tiktok CEO Singaporean Chew Shou Zi (compiled)

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

This guy is literally an internet star now, so many videos of him taking on the embarrassing US congress men and women.

Before people start thinking he's a new citizen from China,

He's born and raised in Singapore, attended Hwa Chong, served National Service, and went to UCL and Harvard for his education.

He was a Goldman Sachs banker, Int' business president & CFO of Xiaomi, before becoming CEO of Tiktok.

rrchewshouzi2403_10.jpg?VersionId=qGCc46

Guest Guest
2 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Doesn't feel like a Singaporean anymore since university days. Become too international already. That's why he can lead such companies.

ur comment not v smart leh, no wonder you stucked in ur little hole.

6 hours ago, Guest Chew Chew said:

He is so cuteeeeee......

I agree.  Not for nothing I always fall for cute Singaporean guys...

7 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

This guy is literally an internet star now, so many videos of him taking on the embarrassing US congress men and women.

Yes, there are so many embarrassing US congress men and women.  All of them are the Republicans!

But on this occasion the US congress people asked the right questions,  and got the expected evasive and hard to believe answers by this cute Singaporean, and his cuteness does not provide any extra credibility.

I am in full agreement that TikTok should be banned in the US.  1- Because it poisons our youth.  2- Because China's PRC is surely collecting a bunch of info from it.  3- Because Xi Jinping is opposed to the sale of TikTok to a non-Chinese owner,  some strange and suspicious interference into private business.

9 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Can return to SG for this year presidential election.

He didn't want to be a dummy puppet manipulated by mediocre people.  He is a real local elite, not some make-up shits often fed to us by another politicians.

5 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I am in full agreement that TikTok should be banned in the US.  1- Because it poisons our youth.

You are just weaving excuses to expect younger generation to live in your ice age era.  If you love Youtube so much, Tik Tok is just a shorter version of Youtube.   The three arguments mentioned have nothing to do with a safe app and are all based solely on ignorance of American political game play.    I am beginning to see that your depression is so severe you can't distinguish what is fact nor fiction anymore.    Please seek medical help as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, Why? said:

You are just weaving excuses to expect younger generation to live in your ice age era.  If you love Youtube so much, Tik Tok is just a shorter version of Youtube.   The three arguments mentioned have nothing to do with a safe app and are all based solely on ignorance of American political game play.    I am beginning to see that your depression is so severe you can't distinguish what is fact nor fiction anymore.    Please seek medical help as soon as possible.

My ice age?   You are close.... The "era" when I was born was cooler than today's global warming that keeps increasing!

Be thankful to America's preoccupation with the damages TikTok causes, because thanks of the congressional hearing you learned about the CEO of this company, the cute Singaporean guy.  :thumb:

I sincerely hope that he won't get too depressed when America bans TikTok from the whole country. This will improve the mental health of our youth. 

If I would live in Singapore,  I would immediately seek medical, mental help... FOR YOU!  :lol:

Edited by Steve5380

46 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I sincerely hope that he won't get too depressed when America bans TikTok from the whole country. This will improve the mental health of our youth. 

Like Youtube, banning Tik Tok will cause millions of Americans their livelihood since these people were jobless and Tik Tok (like Youtube) provide these youngsters a good income to get by.   You are just too selfish to not think of these younger jobless generations. 

19 minutes ago, Guest Smart said:

Smart people got that attractive factor.

Jack Ma is also smart, is he attractive to you?

Guest Guest

TikTok CEO Chew Shou Zi is Acquiring a $86 Million GCB: All You Need to Know

By Cheryl Lai-Lim
Aug 11, 2021

Located in District 10, the Queen Astrid Park area is one of the most affluent residential districts Image: Google Maps
COVER Located in District 10, the Queen Astrid Park area is one of the most affluent residential districts (Image: Google Maps)

Good Class Bungalows are notoriously exclusive and coveted—and TikTok's CEO is in the process of scooping up one for SG$86 million

Chew Shou Zi, the Singaporean chief executive officer of TikTok, made headlines over the weekend for being in the midst of purchasing an SG$86 million purchase of a Good Class Bungalow (GCB) at Queen Astrid Park. 

As reported by Business Times, the GCB currently sits on a massive land area of 31,800sqft; this works out to be a total of SG$2,700 per square foot (psf), an above-average price tag for a property in the area. Located in District 10, one of the most affluent residential districts, the Queen Astrid Park area is in close proximity to neighbourhoods such as Holland Road and Bukit Timah. 

Chew Shou Zi was appointed the chief executive officer of TikTok in April 2021 Photo: LinkedIn / Chew Shou Zi
ABOVE Chew Shou Zi was appointed the chief executive officer of TikTok in April 2021 (Photo: LinkedIn / Chew Shou Zi)

Chew reportedly has plans to overhaul and redevelop the existing property. Previously the chief financial officer of Bytedance, the 38-year-old took over the reins as the head of the popular social media app TikTok in April this year. Before joining TikTok, Chew was the chief financial officer of Chinese smartphone giant Xiaomi.

With his upcoming purchase, Chew joins the growing list of other tech heads who have recently purchased these exclusive properties. In mid-July this year, Chloe Tong, the wife of Grab chief executive Anthony Tan, purchased a SG$40 million GCB located at Bin Tong Park.

Prior to that, Ian Ang, the chief executive officer of homegrown gaming chair giant Secretlab, purchased two luxury properties for SG$51 million in the span of one week. The 28-year-old reportedly scooped up a GCB in the Caldecott Hill Estate for SG$36 million, before purchasing a five-bedroom triplex penthouse at Leedon Residence for $15 million. 

According to a report by luxury realtor Sotheby's International Realty, there have been more than 50 GCB purchases within the first half of 2021, surpassing the mere 46 deals that took place in 2020. The fast-paced purchases total to an amount nearing SG$1.4 billion. 

https://www.tatlerasia.com/homes/property/tiktok-ceo-chew-shou-zi-purchasing-86-million-good-class-bungalow-singapore

Guest Guest

very surprised that the US congress is of such low standard,

ill-prepared, ignorant and asking dumb questions like 'does tiktok connect to the home wifi network?'

worse, they are so rude, and dun appear to respond directly to what Chew Shou Zi was saying.

fortunately, this guy was calm and composed and handled the whole situation pretty well.

Guest Guest
18 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Before people start thinking he's a new citizen from China,

He's born and raised in Singapore, attended Hwa Chong, served National Service, and went to UCL and Harvard for his education.

He was a Goldman Sachs banker, Int' business president & CFO of Xiaomi, before becoming CEO of Tiktok.

rrchewshouzi2403_10.jpg?VersionId=qGCc46

I remember one lawmaker asked Chew SZ if TikTok can access his home wifi network

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Guest Guest
1 minute ago, Guest Guest said:

very surprised that the US congress is of such low standard,

ill-prepared, ignorant and asking dumb questions like 'does tiktok connect to the home wifi network?'

worse, they are so rude, and dun appear to respond directly to what Chew Shou Zi was saying.

fortunately, this guy was calm and composed and handled the whole situation pretty well.

Yeah, that's the one.

And another ignorant b**ch asked Chew SZ if he knew that China oppresses the Uyghurs.

Like, how is that relevant to TikTok?!

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Guest Tomato
43 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Yeah, that's the one.

And another ignorant b**ch asked Chew SZ if he knew that China oppresses the Uyghurs.

Like, how is that relevant to TikTok?!

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

As a country, USA bullies and increasingly warmongering (through other countries), confrontational and disrespectful of international rules (to defend its own self-interests).  This is simply due to maintaining its self-perceived weakening hegemony.

As a people, (many) Americans are ignorant, uninterested in other countries, and can appear to be stupid (as displayed by the questions of the congressmen).  But due to the fact that USA is currently still very strong militarily, Americans by default feels that they are powerful people.  And indeed, they are (the Congressmen).

Guest guest
11 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Definitely boyfriend material 😍

20230325-154616.jpg

A well groom and maintain CEO. Can see that his skin looks so good. Now i am curious to know if he has a toned and nice bod under his shirt?

Guest Guest
13 minutes ago, Guest zhong guo wan sui said:

The whole session is so embarrassing for the US, winnie the pooh must be secretly laughing now. 

Not only Winnie; Kim and Vladimir as well.

Guest Guest
13 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

A well groom and maintain CEO. Can see that his skin looks so good. Now i am curious to know if he has a toned and nice bod under his shirt?

Should be quite toned, despite being a bit on the lean side.

Couldn't find any shirtless pics of him; this was the closest.

20230325-162136.jpg

Guest 太假裝

What I dislike about tt is that there are too many staged, acted, clips that are cringe worthy artificial.

and those tt music so formulaic, it's annoying

e.g. Those giving way during queuing. 

Giving money to help someone, the script is so perfect that it's perfectly scripted 雷鋒精神

It's good to encourage social graciousness. But when it gets too far from the ground reality, it becomes artificial propaganda. 

Guest guest
5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Should be quite toned, despite being a bit on the lean side.

Couldn't find any shirtless pics of him; this was the closest.

20230325-162136.jpg

Looks like lean fit toned bod. His arms seems like not bad.

58 minutes ago, Why? said:

His promises sound fair and just but expect a couple of senior out of touch members here to say otherwise.

Senior members here have the characteristic of being WISE.  Wise to recognize that the CEO of a company is not an impartial source of information about the company. 

Members of the US congress, although some malevolent corrupt politicians,  are not so dumb out-of-touch as some BW members who are constantly asking... Why?  And these Congress members, the same as many professional mental health practitioners,  recognize that TikTok is one of the worst social media platforms that ROBS youngsters of their common sense, their ability to reason, their TIME that they should dedicate to more productive endeavors.  Many teenagers suffer in their self-esteem due to TikTok.

Educated Americans with children are afraid of the damage TikTok is doing to their children, something not too different from the damage inflicted by Facebook, Meta, etc., and educated American grandparents also want to protect their young grandchildren, like one senior member here. 

Edited by Steve5380

46 minutes ago, mate69 said:

Think a blanket ban is inevitable 

I hope your inevitability becomes reality.  The US Congress should pass a federal law that allows the banning of some social platforms like TikTok nationwide.  Banning because of the damage they inflict to our youth, and also because if they belong to a rogue country like China they can spy on America.

And Chew Show Zi, I wish him the best life possible after retiring from TikTok, in a mansion built with the land he just bought in Singapore,  and in relationship with a cute Singaporean gay,  or an ultra rich celebrity Ang Moh playboy. :)

Guest Guest
4 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

And Chew Show Zi, I wish him the best life possible after retiring from TikTok, in a mansion built with the land he just bought in Singapore,  and in relationship with a cute Singaporean gay,  or an ultra rich celebrity Ang Moh playboy. :)

Too late for us - he's married with two kids.

tiktok_14.jpg?VersionId=cfRn8F0kSPmkaOpD

Guest Guest

Silly Questions by US Lawmakers During TikTok Congressional Hearing Go Viral

ft-tiktok.jpg?strip=all&lossy=1&quality=

TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew recently had his first appearance before Congress where lawmakers had been calling for a country-wide ban on the app.

The hearing which lasted for more than 5 hours produced some truly comical moments and proved how little the lawmakers understood about social media or the Internet as a whole.

Although the Singaporean had to endure a whole boat load of less intelligent questions from the committee, we’ve decided to compile the most ridiculous ones which have captured the attention of social media users.

WiFi connections

One of the most notable moments was when North Carolina Republican Rep. Richard Hudson appeared to be struggling to understand how WiFi works.

During the hearing, Hudson asked,”Mr, Chew, does TikTok access the home WiFi network?”

“Only if the user turns on the WiFi, I’m sorry, I may not understand the question,” Chew responded.

“So if I have the TikTok app on my phone and my phone is on my home WiFi network, does TikTok access that network?” Hudson asked.

“It would have to — to access the network to get connections to the internet, if that’s the question,” Chew added as he sounded a bit confused at the inherently confusing question.

“Is it possible, then, that it could access other devices on that home WiFi network?” Hudson prodded.

“Congressman, we do not do anything that is beyond any industry norms. I believe the answer to your question is no. It could be technical. Let me get back to you.”

Dilation of pupils

Another odd question was posed by Republican Georgia Rep. Buddy Carter who at one point during his questioning, appeared to become certain that TikTok was collecting users’ biometric data — in particular, how users’ eyes dilate while viewing a video and how this could affect one’s algorithm.

“Can you tell me right now, can you say with 100% certainty, that TikTok does not use the phone’s camera to determine whether the content that elicits a pupil dilation should be amplified by the algorithm? Can you tell me that?”

Chew responded by saying that the app does not collect body, face or voice data to identify users, and the only data TikTok collects is when a person uses filters, such as pretending to have sunglasses on their face.

“We need to know where your eyes are,” Chew explained.

“Why do you need to know where the eyes are, if you’re not seeing if they are dilated?” said Carter.

Wrong nationality

At one point, whilst the questions were centred on how the Chinese government have access to TikTok’s user data, Republican Dan Crenshaw said ByteDance and its employees who live in China must cooperate with the Chinese government when they are called upon, adding that “they are bound to secrecy and that would include you”.

The major issue is that Chew is not from China in the first place.

“Congressman, first, I’m Singaporean.”

Such questions and more have since gone viral on social media where netizens slammed the lawmakers for their silly questions.

You can watch the hearing in its entirety here.

https://worldofbuzz.com/silly-questions-by-us-lawmakers-during-tiktok-congressional-hearing-go-viral/

Guest Guest

TikTokers mocked the US congressional hearing against the app, derogatorily calling lawmakers 'boomers' who are 'embarrassing' them in front of the world

641ccae6b7834100191b0757?width=1300&form

• TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew was called to testify before Congress on Thursday.
  • TikTokers mocked the hearing as it was happening, saying lawmakers don't know the app well enough to litigate it.
  • Livestreams of the hearing on TikTok were packed with comments calling US politicians 'out of touch' and 'embarrassing.'

A torrent of TikTokers mocked the US Congressional hearing that aimed to raise growing security concerns about the app on Thursday. Creators and commenters shared their critiques live as the hearing aired, claiming lawmakers did not seem to know much about the platform they're litigating, and that they did not give TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew a fair chance to speak.

During the five-hour hearing, numerous clips pointing out the shortcomings of the proceedings quickly went viral. 

One of the most widely-shared videos, with over a million views, showed Georgia representative Earl "Buddy" Carter asking Chew whether the phone camera tracks users' pupil dilations, which Chew quickly refuted, saying TikTok doesn't use body, face, or voice data to identify users. 

"I get second hand embarrassment watching these corpses try to make points," user @gbp97 captioned their viral reactionary TikTok, which is rife with comments calling Carter a "boomer" with a derogatory tone.

Carter later asked how the app determines the age of a user, insinuating that it must be from biometric data. Chew explained that users provide their age when they sign up for an account.

In another widely circulated clip, North Carolina representative Richard Hudson asked Chew if TikTok can "access the home Wi-Fi network," which TikTokers found confounding, as the app, and most apps, require network access to be used. 

"DOES HE NOT UNDERSTAND HOW INTERNET ACCESS WORKS?!" a top commenter, with 56,000 upvotes, wrote.

Many of the most viral reaction videos called out how often politicians pressing Chew seemed to be interrupting him instead of letting him answer their questions. In a line of questioning about dangerous trends, like the 2021 "Blackout Challenge," Carter did not let Chew have more than two or three seconds before he cutting in with his own rant.

Although much of the backlash to the hearing was impassioned, some US users resorted to making jokes and memes to highlight just how out of touch they believed their congressmen were during the hearing.

"There is a lot of dangerous stuff on here. I saw a young man surfing on the subway to collect coins. SMH," one user joked, referencing the game "Subway Surfers."

As the hearing was airing, TikTok livestreams of the event were drowning with a constant stream of criticism. Many users denounced how Congress was handling tenable concerns over the app's security threats, saying lawmakers seemed uninformed about how the app works, thereby making Americans look "dumb" in front of a world stage.

Chew was called to testify before the House and Energy Committee on Thursday amid a wider and largely right-wing-led effort to limit access or outrightly ban TikTok in the US. The crux of concerns centers around the fear and possibility that the app, which is owned by Chinese parent company ByteDance, is harvesting user data and handing it over to the Chinese government.

https://www.insider.com/tiktok-congress-hearing-ban-bytedance-china-viral-videos-chew-ceo-2023-3

Guest Guest

TikTok users are making fun of Congress members for their questions to app CEO Shou Chew

New York CNN  — 

TikTok creators have had enough of Congress seemingly not understanding how the internet works.

What happened: On Thursday, TikTok CEO Shou Chew testified before the House Committee for Energy and Commerce, where he was peppered with questions about concerns over the popular app’s potential national security threats and its connections to China. Governments around the world banned the app on official devices, and there is concern that the app’s parent company ByteDance could be forced to cooperate with the Chinese government. (TikTok doesn’t operate in China.)

The tone from some of its members was combative — something that creators noticed, and mocked, immediately.

Meanwhile, TikTok creators are leading the way ridiculing members of Congress.

There needs to be an age limit in Congress,” one caption by user @rachelhannahh said about a clip of US Rep. Buddy Carter, who represents Georgia’s 1st district, asking Chew whether the app tracks pupil dilation as a form of facial recognition to drive algorithms.

Chew responded by saying the app does not use body, face or voice data to identify users, and the only face data the app collects is for “filters to have sunglasses on your face.”

f_webp

‘Why do you need to know where the eyes are if you’re not seeing if they’re dilated?” Carter then asked, resulting in a barrage of comments ridiculing the congressman’s questions.

A spokesperson for Carter said the congressman is not on TikTok because it poses a national security risk.

“TikTok recently updated its privacy policy allowing it to collect biometric data, so it was important that its CEO be on-the-record, under oath detailing what data TikTok collects and whether the Chinese Communist Party has access to that data,” the spokesperson said.

TechCrunch previously reported that TikTok updated its privacy policy “to allow the app to collect biometric data on US users.” However, the company has said it only uses biometrics for video effects and ByteDance employees in China would not be able to access it, TechCrunch reported.

Many of the TikTok video clips suggested Congress members don’t know how modern technology works. They believe members of Congress are detached from technology and unaware of how tech companies within their own country operate, resulting in easily mockable questions.

The app, which has 150 million US users, is facing a potential ban. Among those who’ve heard of TikTok, only 39% of those younger than 30 support a TikTok ban, according to a CBS News/YouGov poll released Thursday.

US Rep. Mike Gallagher, who represents Wisconsin’s 8th district, told CNN during its primetime special Thursday night that the government needs to address TikTok as a national security threat, despite the popularity of the app among younger voters.

“Republicans [and] Democrats agreed this is a threat,” Gallagher, a Republican who chairs the House Select Committee on China, told CNN. “So we can’t ignore it just because of concerns about alienating some teenagers on this app.”

“It’s a national security issue,” he said. “We have to deal with it before it’s too late.”

It’s a bipartisan opinion. The Biden administration threatened a ban if the app’s Chinese owners don’t spin off their share of the social media platform.

“Bro outta pocket,” a user who goes by Whittington said on a clip of US Rep. August Pfluger, who represents Texas’ 11th district.

In the clip, Pfluger said the only other person who united Democrats and Republicans was Vladimir Putin.

CNN has reached out to Pfluger for comment.

The hearing may also have created a new group of lobbyists. ByteDance, the company that owns TikTok, flew out more than 30 famous TikTokkers to Washington to advocate for the app, the New York Times reported.

Out of touch

Another clip that has been widely circulating on the app is one of US Rep. Richard Hudson, who represents North Carolina’s 9th district, questioning Chew on how WiFi connectivity works. The “yes or no” style of interrogating on topics that were complex, or frankly irrelevant, were a major point of exasperation for users.

“So if I have a TikTok app on my phone and my phone is on my home WiFi network,” Hudson asked, “does TikTok access that network?”

“Does TikTok access my battery to steal my electricity?” one user said, mocking Hudson.

CNN has reached out to Hudson for comment.

Users are also posting POV’s on the app, renacting their own versions of the hearing.

“What color is the algorithm?” said user Christian Divyne in a video mocking some of the questions Congress members asked Chew.

The video ended up getting over one million views, with over 250,000 likes as of this writing.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/25/tech/tiktok-user-reaction-hearing/index.html

Guest Anthony
2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Senior members here have the characteristic of being WISE.  Wise to recognize that the CEO of a company is not an impartial source of information about the company. 

Members of the US congress, although some malevolent corrupt politicians,  are not so dumb out-of-touch as some BW members who are constantly asking... Why?  And these Congress members, the same as many professional mental health practitioners,  recognize that TikTok is one of the worst social media platforms that ROBS youngsters of their common sense, their ability to reason, their TIME that they should dedicate to more productive endeavors.  Many teenagers suffer in their self-esteem due to TikTok.

Educated Americans with children are afraid of the damage TikTok is doing to their children, something not too different from the damage inflicted by Facebook, Meta, etc., and educated American grandparents also want to protect their young grandchildren, like one senior member here. 

Why are American parents wary about TikTok but not towards free access and use of guns in USA?  Even despite so many incidents which has taken many lives of children?

Surely the congress members are also aware of all these?  

• G_M changed the title to Tiktok CEO Singaporean Chew Shou Zi (compiled)
Guest Bernie
40 minutes ago, Guest Anthony said:

Why are American parents wary about TikTok but not towards free access and use of guns in USA?  Even despite so many incidents which has taken many lives of children?

aiyo why you bother reply him, cant you see that everyone ignore his posts 🤭

2 hours ago, Guest Anthony said:

Many many Americans worry about this free access and use of guns.   But Congress members are pushed by a strong lobby of gun manufacturers and supporters of gun availabilities.  And all this is supported by the evil "The Second Amendment" in the Constitution,  which has long ago outlived its usefulness.

9 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

TikTok users are making fun of Congress members for their questions to app CEO Shou Chew

New York CNN  — 

TikTok creators have had enough of Congress seemingly not understanding how the internet works.

What happened: On Thursday, TikTok CEO Shou Chew testified before the House Committee for Energy and Commerce, where he was peppered with questions about concerns over the popular app’s potential national security threats and its connections to China. Governments around the world banned the app on official devices, and there is concern that the app’s parent company ByteDance could be forced to cooperate with the Chinese government. (TikTok doesn’t operate in China.)

The tone from some of its members was combative — something that creators noticed, and mocked, immediately.

Meanwhile, TikTok creators are leading the way ridiculing members of Congress.

There needs to be an age limit in Congress,” one caption by user @rachelhannahh said about a clip of US Rep. Buddy Carter, who represents Georgia’s 1st district, asking Chew whether the app tracks pupil dilation as a form of facial recognition to drive algorithms.

Chew responded by saying the app does not use body, face or voice data to identify users, and the only face data the app collects is for “filters to have sunglasses on your face.”

f_webp

‘Why do you need to know where the eyes are if you’re not seeing if they’re dilated?” Carter then asked, resulting in a barrage of comments ridiculing the congressman’s questions.

A spokesperson for Carter said the congressman is not on TikTok because it poses a national security risk.

“TikTok recently updated its privacy policy allowing it to collect biometric data, so it was important that its CEO be on-the-record, under oath detailing what data TikTok collects and whether the Chinese Communist Party has access to that data,” the spokesperson said.

TechCrunch previously reported that TikTok updated its privacy policy “to allow the app to collect biometric data on US users.” However, the company has said it only uses biometrics for video effects and ByteDance employees in China would not be able to access it, TechCrunch reported.

Many of the TikTok video clips suggested Congress members don’t know how modern technology works. They believe members of Congress are detached from technology and unaware of how tech companies within their own country operate, resulting in easily mockable questions.

The app, which has 150 million US users, is facing a potential ban. Among those who’ve heard of TikTok, only 39% of those younger than 30 support a TikTok ban, according to a CBS News/YouGov poll released Thursday.

US Rep. Mike Gallagher, who represents Wisconsin’s 8th district, told CNN during its primetime special Thursday night that the government needs to address TikTok as a national security threat, despite the popularity of the app among younger voters.

“Republicans [and] Democrats agreed this is a threat,” Gallagher, a Republican who chairs the House Select Committee on China, told CNN. “So we can’t ignore it just because of concerns about alienating some teenagers on this app.”

“It’s a national security issue,” he said. “We have to deal with it before it’s too late.”

It’s a bipartisan opinion. The Biden administration threatened a ban if the app’s Chinese owners don’t spin off their share of the social media platform.

“Bro outta pocket,” a user who goes by Whittington said on a clip of US Rep. August Pfluger, who represents Texas’ 11th district.

In the clip, Pfluger said the only other person who united Democrats and Republicans was Vladimir Putin.

CNN has reached out to Pfluger for comment.

The hearing may also have created a new group of lobbyists. ByteDance, the company that owns TikTok, flew out more than 30 famous TikTokkers to Washington to advocate for the app, the New York Times reported.

Out of touch

Another clip that has been widely circulating on the app is one of US Rep. Richard Hudson, who represents North Carolina’s 9th district, questioning Chew on how WiFi connectivity works. The “yes or no” style of interrogating on topics that were complex, or frankly irrelevant, were a major point of exasperation for users.

“So if I have a TikTok app on my phone and my phone is on my home WiFi network,” Hudson asked, “does TikTok access that network?”

“Does TikTok access my battery to steal my electricity?” one user said, mocking Hudson.

CNN has reached out to Hudson for comment.

Users are also posting POV’s on the app, renacting their own versions of the hearing.

“What color is the algorithm?” said user Christian Divyne in a video mocking some of the questions Congress members asked Chew.

The video ended up getting over one million views, with over 250,000 likes as of this writing.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/25/tech/tiktok-user-reaction-hearing/index.html

So embarrassing..... It just show their stupidity, wonder how they can be where they are and no wonder china can rise to the top. 

Edited by lonelyglobe

Guest Guest

Majority of the americans are dumb, lazy, fat, unhealthy and out of touch with the real  world. Just look at those videos of people asking the everyday americans general knowledge questions like identify flags, capital cities of countries etc and they cant even answer them. 

The ‘good ones’ we see are the minority. 

Guest Guest
5 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Or maybe the opposition can get him and win another GRC? I don't see any million dollar minister got that kind of presentation skill.

Like what you said …. 👍

Very cool and calm. Even in the US, he did not fake a US accent, but use the normal Singaporean accent which we feel so connected.

He joins force with Jamus Lim to attack a new GRC (East Coast/Tanjong Pagar) …. 😱 😬

Guest Guest

Wiki says:

Chew was born on 1 January 1983 in Singapore. His father worked in construction while his mother was a bookkeeper.

Upon his graduation from Hwa Chong InstitutionChew went on to serve National Service in which he was a commissioned officer in the Singapore Armed Forces.

After his military service, Chew went on to study at University College Londonwhere he graduated in 2006 with a Bachelor of Economicsdegree. In 2010, he completed a Master of Business Administration degree at Harvard Business Schooland while there completed a summer internship at Facebook prior to its IPO.

How come I hear stories that he is a PRC converted new Singaporean citizen … hahaha!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.