Male HQ

My Son Might Be Gay. What Should I Say to Him?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I have a 17-year-old son, and I am fairly sure he is gay. He is not out, although I don't know if he might be to any close friends. What's hardest for me as his dad is that I know that this time of life can be confusing and frustrating to any kid, and I only know the experience of a straight guy. I can't imagine how much harder or more complicated it must be for him. I would love to be able to be more supportive of him, but I certainly am not going to confront him. What advice do you have for the family of someone who hasn't yet come out?

I think that at this stage, the best you can do is to show a liberal, progressive attitude towards sexual orientations.  Like condemning homophobia, supporting homosexuality as being inborn and natural, and opposing any religious idea that homosexual acts are sinful.   This is the mentality of any straight man who is free of bigotry and prejudices.

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I have a 17-year-old son, and I am fairly sure he is gay. He is not out, although I don't know if he might be to any close friends. What's hardest for me as his dad is that I know that this time of life can be confusing and frustrating to any kid, and I only know the experience of a straight guy. I can't imagine how much harder or more complicated it must be for him. I would love to be able to be more supportive of him, but I certainly am not going to confront him. What advice do you have for the family of someone who hasn't yet come out?

KNN!

Fucking Guest !
Stop taking others' post as yours!

My Son Might Be Gay. What Should I Say to Him?

There's a reason he hasn't come out to you yet.

Headshot of Dave HolmesBy Dave Holmes

Making your way through this cruel, confounding, ever-changing world is difficult. Something make you anxious this week, or any week? Lay it on me at askdaveholmes@gmail.com. I'm here to help you minimize the damage you will necessarily inflict on the world just by being alive.

So, what's your problem?

Dave,

I have a 17-year-old son, and I am fairly sure he is gay. He is not out, although I don't know if he might be to any close friends. What's hardest for me as his dad is that I know that this time of life can be confusing and frustrating to any kid, and I only know the experience of a straight guy. I can't imagine how much harder or more complicated it must be for him. I would love to be able to be more supportive of him, but I certainly am not going to confront him.

Since your column a couple of weeks ago was advice for coming out to your family, my related question is: What advice do you have for the family of someone who hasn't yet come out?

Many thanks,

Mark

This thread will be locked!

• G_M locked this topic