Male HQ

How good is your Hokkien?

Guest Chai Tea

Guest Chai Tea

Some are multilingual here. In the office mostly speaks Mandarin and English. I find Hokkien interesting but I only know few words. How fluent are you in this dialect?

I can speak decent SG Hokkien as I used Hokkien with my parents, siblings and other elderly relatives. 
Why I emphasize SG because not all hokkien are the same like Malaysia, China and Taiwan. Our SG hokkien had actually mixed with other languages like Cantonese, English, Malay, so not really clean and pure hokkien.

6 minutes ago, cityhallguy said:

I can speak decent SG Hokkien as I used Hokkien with my parents, siblings and other elderly relatives. 
Why I emphasize SG because not all hokkien are the same like Malaysia, China and Taiwan. Our SG hokkien had actually mixed with other languages like Cantonese, English, Malay, so not really clean and pure hokkien.

actually the pure hokkien are from anxi prefecture. they still retain the ancient musical form of namimm. which dated back to the first century AD. Singapore and Klang are populated by anxi hokkien which people often regards as the mountains hokkien. it is estimated that the population of anxi hokkien in singapore is around 15-20 percents of singaporeans population.

I only speak Hokkien to my parents (not my siblings) but as I am interested in the dialect, my proficiency in the language is not bad. Several old folks commented that my accent is very ‘old school’ & I am pretty happy about it 😎

1 hour ago, robin said:

I only speak Hokkien to my parents (not my siblings) but as I am interested in the dialect, my proficiency in the language is not bad. Several old folks commented that my accent is very ‘old school’ & I am pretty happy about it 😎

the original hokkien use a lot of humming sound and 8-9 tune just like cantonese. as a language used in tang and jin dynasty, many poet uses hokkien to compose their poems. therefore even today the chinese term "humming poem".

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.