Male HQ

Credit cards discussion

On 5/27/2023 at 5:48 PM, Zerosum said:

Unfortunately no, this is quite unique for AMEX only. They have one of the best protection of its users. You can check our Muay Champ gym - only $100 per month. Let me know if you want a referral. 

Has anyone successfully applied with slightly less than the requirement?

Edited by radiusulnar

• radiusulnar changed the title to AMEX Platinum Credit
On 5/28/2023 at 8:17 PM, radiusulnar said:

Has anyone successfully applied with slightly less than the requirement?

My friend did not meet the income requirement & still manage to get the card. Unless you have bad credit ratings, credit card companies are not that strict about  giving it to you. For example if the income requirement is $30K, I know of people who  still get by with $25K. 

There is also a SQ/ Krisflyer american express.

Note that some of the high flyer amex cards come with a minimum spend, otherwise you need to pay the yearly renewal fees.

Just take any Amex, ... if you're gay you don't need to show off to your girl friend...

I think it is better to go with one of the local banks, as they prefer to waive the renewal fees.

It is true that certain smaller retail outlets or such in the F&B reject Amex cards. The reason is that Amex charges a higher fee for those operators.

The income requirement is usually not the essential part if your bank knows that you are a reliable payer and don't always overdraft your account.

For someone applying a card first time *(not having any other credit card) the bank may be strict on the income ceiling.

Guest ffffffff

I tend to find amex and Citi overated.

I've been using POSB everyday and  uob. I tend to use them more because of all those tie ups with merchants. And I prefer rebates to rewards.

Over time, I dropped the foreign cards and one from an unrewarding local.  I mean people are impressed if I pull them out. But then they aren't the most useful to me.

That sad, pick those that are most useful to you. You might want some for prestige purposes. Ie wave them in front of friends 😂

Guest ffffffff

You may wanna consider the credit limit offered by banks.

It is two times your monthly salary. Eg

Salary 3k a month, credit limit is 6k.

Some banks credits limit are based on salary after CPF deductions. Eg

Salary is $3000.

After CPF, $2400

Credit limit will be $4800.

Amex cards issued by amex not the local banks come in two types.

The charge card. The green one with the man wearing helmet in the center. This one has no limits. You can charge any amount.

The credit version. My time oh dear, 2004 it came in blue and gold versions. Guy with helmet on the left. They offered me a credit limit of slightly less than a month of my salary

So I rejected the card.

Guest Try and see
1 hour ago, Guest ffffffff said:

I mean people are impressed if I pull them out. But then they aren't the most useful to me.

That sad, pick those that are most useful to you. You might want some for prestige purposes. Ie wave them in front of friends 😂

Uncle no such thing anymore. Now anyone can hold any card easily, even those chao jhk who can barely speak engrish

Guest ffffffff
37 minutes ago, Guest Try and see said:

Uncle no such thing anymore. Now anyone can hold any card easily, even those chao jhk who can barely speak engrish

Yo auntie, are you the jinx who can BARELY SPEAK ENGLISH?

32 minutes ago, radiusulnar said:

I check the website and cannot find the benefit of protection for prepaid payment. Anyone can confirm this is a benefit? This is the main reason why I am considering applying Amex. 

Write to your bank to clarify. We don't issue the cards...

2 hours ago, radiusulnar said:

I check the website and cannot find the benefit of protection for prepaid payment. Anyone can confirm this is a benefit? This is the main reason why I am considering applying Amex. 

Why not ask the person who told you about it?

5 hours ago, radiusulnar said:

It has:

Refund Protection

Having trouble with a local shop refunding your American Express Charge or Credit Card payment? Submit a claim and we'll refund the purchase price^. It's no trouble.

^Purchase Protection is underwritten by Chubb Insurance Singapore Limited. Please refer to your Cardmember Agreement and Benefits for Terms and Conditions. Purchase Protection is only available to Personal, Gold, Platinum and Charter American Express Charge Card Members holding a valid American Express Card.

*Terms, conditions and exclusions apply

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-sg/security/purchase-protection/

Whether this attends to gym subscriptions also, you need to check:

1800 392 1177

Overseas: +65 6392 1177

Note that your gym membership must be paid via the American Express card!

I got the Amex Plat nearly 10 years ago after being a regular green member for 3 years. I am not quite sure how their algorithms work when they upgrade you, but over the years, it is my fav credit card to use TBH compared to the other bank issued credit cards. 

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

Guest Derelict
On 5/30/2023 at 11:00 AM, singalion said:

It is true that certain smaller retail outlets or such in the F&B reject Amex cards. The reason is that Amex charges a higher fee for those operators.

From my experience, some of the bigger establishments also ask for visa/master.

8 hours ago, Guest Derelict said:

From my experience, some of the bigger establishments also ask for visa/master.

Not sure because Amex was never rejected for any bigger outlet. It is rare. Most of the bigger just suffer the higher deduction fee by Amex. Bills mostly also higher, so it is a win win for both. What difference does it make if the Visa cut is 3% while Amex is 3.5%?

Mostly it are the smaller operators that reject Amex.

Best is to have either Visa/Mastercard and an Amex card.

Reason for me is: if you do online purchases it happens quite often that one of the card payment doesn't go through.

As Amex has the secure PIN or two factor, with certain operators the Amex payment is nearly always successful.

While with Visa you need to re-do the payment 2 - 3 times.

But yes, with many platforms you don't have a choice. They just provide for Visa/Mastercard and exclude Amex.

Here the background:

This amount varies, but typical merchant fees fall between 2.5 percent and 3.5 percent.

Why don’t all businesses accept American Express?

When you’re traveling away from home, it’s not uncommon to visit a restaurant or retail store that doesn’t accept American Express. The reason behind this is simple—American Express charges merchants a higher fee than competitors do.

To be clear, all credit card issuers charge merchants fees in order to accept their credit cards, yet some card issuers choose to charge a higher fee than others. These fees are considered part of the cost of doing business for merchants, yet it’s easy to see why they would want to keep their payment fees to a minimum—especially if not accepting one type of card (in this case, American Express) doesn’t hurt their bottom line.

Visa and Mastercard tend to charge merchants processing fees between 1.5 percent and 2.5 percent to accept their credit cards, whereas American Express charges 2.5 percent to 3.5 percent.

Guest ffffffff

@singalion

For me, dbs amex  blue/gold/black/platinum works fine at establishments that accepted it. They either accept or reject outright. No retries or swipe again.

Last time, Sistic counters rejected amex a few times when I bought concert tickets but strangely accepted diners club!

Most online shops I visited,  only take visa/Master. Never had a problem. Transaction normally approved quite fast.

Only once, my Mastercard did not work at cin2 web. I called the bank and they said they had complaints it's a scam site?! They blocked the site.

Restaurant drama.  I used unionpay at Jack's place anchorpoint. The transaction went through. The clerk looked at the bill, got very agitated as she realized it's unionpay. She void my  receipt and insisted I pay by another card! 😡

Most restaurants and spas accept most cards but as you can see, there are exceptions.

Once even cold storage stopped accepting all credit cards!

• radiusulnar changed the title to Credit cards discussion
Guest Guest
On 5/30/2023 at 11:00 AM, singalion said:

I think it is better to go with one of the local banks, as they prefer to waive the renewal fees.

This is not true.

In recent years, the local banks DBS UOB OCBC are getting more stingy in waiving annual fees.

Its the foreign banks like Citi SCB HSBC who are still more generous in waiving fees even if you have minimal or no usage.

18 hours ago, Guest ffffffff said:

@singalion

For me, dbs amex  blue/gold/black/platinum works fine at establishments that accepted it. They either accept or reject outright. No retries or swipe again.

Last time, Sistic counters rejected amex a few times when I bought concert tickets but strangely accepted diners club!

Most online shops I visited,  only take visa/Master. Never had a problem. Transaction normally approved quite fast.

Only once, my Mastercard did not work at cin2 web. I called the bank and they said they had complaints it's a scam site?! They blocked the site.

Restaurant drama.  I used unionpay at Jack's place anchorpoint. The transaction went through. The clerk looked at the bill, got very agitated as she realized it's unionpay. She void my  receipt and insisted I pay by another card! 😡

Most restaurants and spas accept most cards but as you can see, there are exceptions.

Once even cold storage stopped accepting all credit cards!

I meant online payment  platforms. 

Best are those that offer paypal in addition. Then you can use Amex through paypal. 

I never had problems getting annual fees waived with banks here. 

In general I noted for DBS Treasures , UOB privilege banks are even more generous in waiving such fees and in addition (justified) finance charges when you paid late... I also got overdraft charges waived... Have same experience after stopped being Treasure/ Privilege.

Just a matter how polite you are to the officer. ha ha

But can't say about UOB for past 3 years. Closed the account. 

My worst experiences I actually have with Citibank. Gave up on them. 3 bad experiences, just stopped all. 

Edited by singalion

17 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

This is not true.

In recent years, the local banks DBS UOB OCBC are getting more stingy in waiving annual fees.

Its the foreign banks like Citi SCB HSBC who are still more generous in waiving fees even if you have minimal or no usage.

I have exact opposite experience. 

Guest ffffffff

guest in finance line? know these details. consumer like me just use the card if shop accept. so far posb everyday nobody reject

everyday card always works. Just that once, i did not get my 5% rebates at sheng siong.

Guest ffffffff
19 minutes ago, singalion said:

My worst experiences I actually have with Citibank. Gave up on them. 3 bad experiences, just stopped all. 

What happened?

Guest ffffffff

guest in finance line? know these details. consumer like me just use the card if shop accept. so far posb everyday nobody reject

I think you should apply for all the cards. Try them out. If you are buying big ticket items like gym memberships, you can use their zero% installment plan.

Guest Guest
53 minutes ago, singalion said:

Same for my circle of friends,

and the community at HWZ forums.

What happened?

They closed my account after six months because there was no transaction. It took months until they responded to me and even longer to get my money.

Earlier, one credit card payment payment slip "got lost" in their own deposit box, despite having a photo of the posting and a witness, they charged finance charges and fees, until I got fed up and closed the account. Their customer service also seems unreachable.

Guest ffffffff
18 minutes ago, singalion said:

They closed my account after six months because there was no transaction. It took months until they responded to me and even longer to get my money.

Earlier, one credit card payment payment slip "got lost" in their own deposit box, despite having a photo of the posting and a witness, they charged finance charges and fees, until I got fed up and closed the account. Their customer service also seems unreachable.

What kind of account? Get your money back? Savings plus cc?

You mean cheque deposited in the cheque deposit box was lost?

29 minutes ago, singalion said:

Banks dun anyhow close your account for no issue. You probably did not give the full picture. Credit card payment slip? Who the hell use this? If you incur late charges and fees as the bank did not receive your payment on time, it's your responsibility to make payment via an alternate method to avoid fees snowballing while settling your whatever issue. But given how you like to argue with everyone in this forum and feel that you are always right, you probably argue with the bank staffs till they are fed up with you and blacklist you. kthxbye

Guest ffffffff
8 minutes ago, kidster said:

A side question. Which option do you choose for the statements? Online PDF or hardcopies thru snail mail?

When I choose pdf, I tend to miss out.

Do you keep the statements? 

Paper statements best. Easiest to check. And you can keep for reference as long as you want.

Online statement, you need token, password, username. 

Check halfway, your time limit is up. Have to sign in again. 😡

1 hour ago, kidster said:

A side question. Which option do you choose for the statements? Online PDF or hardcopies thru snail mail?

When I choose pdf, I tend to miss out.

Do you keep the statements? 

Hard copies,  don't need to save money for the bank, very important to check any late fees or card charges,  if have immediately call them to waive, everything correct can throw but normally will keep the current one until recieve the next bill. 

Edited by lonelyglobe

14 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

Hard copies,  don't need to save money for the bank, very important to check any late fees or card charges,  if have immediately call them to waive, everything correct can throw but normally will keep the current one until recieve the next bill. 

Hard cope statements mean u pay extra 

Not the bank

Guest Guest

Paper statements best. Easiest to check. And you can keep for reference as long as you want.

Online statement, you need token, password, username. 

Check halfway, your time limit is up. Have to sign in again. 😡

All transactions appear in ibanking almost immediately. And you can check for unauthorized transactions or fraud real time.

You can keep online statements for up to 7 years.

Nowadays tokens are digital and built in. Most bank apps only require face ID (if you are using iphone). I'm not sure about Android but there's fingerprint login i think?

Just sharing. But to each his own.

Guest Guest
55 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

Unless you use paper shredder, when you dispose hard copies, your info are all exposed even if you tear them away.

It's a good habit to login to ibanking every few days to check for txns and for any abnormalities. In fact I login everyday.

I see annual fees posted on let's say, today. I can call in straight away and have them waived on the same day.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.