Male HQ

Why are gays called "A J", how AJ became the term for gays?

Guest Haha

Guest Haha
On 5/16/2023 at 12:08 PM, Fox92 said:

i realised i was a bit oblivious in ns. So we're commanders and just got posted to our coy and this other comd whispered to me whether im aj when we're taking our bedsheets. At that point of time idk what aj is so i said "hah what is aj?" loudly. He got flustered and shook his head and ssh me. We picked our beds side by side and he suggested we combine our beds so we can have more space which i agreed to. Sometimes when I wake up, I realised that we are sleeping too close to each other but really never give it much thought. This went on for a few weeks until the CSM came up to check our bunks and asked us to separate our beds coz its very gay.

This is when i asked my gay friend and told him the story and he said aj means gay and I was an idiot for not seeing the signs. :(

So I asked him when we're back in camp and he denied it, saying he knew the term from his gay friends. We're still close till we ord and now ict ok-ok only but that was never brought up again.

Wonder how it'll be if i said yes then lol.

AJ is only a term Singaporean gay use. You ask other gay in the world what is AJ they also dunno. 

Actually I also dunno what AJ stands for. I guess during back then, it's so taboo and we scared that we even speak in code like AJ. 

Remember most of us still have a gay nickname. Yes a name we only used for our gay circle.oir gay friend only know us by the gay nickname and not our real name. 

Now, today, the young gay flaunts being gay like it's right. 

57 minutes ago, Guest Haha said:

AJ is only a term Singaporean gay use. You ask other gay in the world what is AJ they also dunno. 

Actually I also dunno what AJ stands for. I guess during back then, it's so taboo and we scared that we even speak in code like AJ.

My understanding is that AJ is an acronym for Ah Jie 阿姐 the Chinese words for "elder sister", a derogatory term for an effeminate man. 

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest Haha said:

Remember most of us still have a gay nickname. Yes a name we only used for our gay circle.oir gay friend only know us by the gay nickname and not our real name. 

Now, today, the young gay flaunts being gay like it's right. 

37 minutes ago, yhtang said:

My understanding is that AJ is an acronym for Ah Jie 阿姐 the Chinese words for "elder sister", a derogatory term for an effeminate man. 

From what I know, AJ is not an acronym for "Ah Jie".

It is derived from the pig latin form of the word "gay".

I'm not sure how pig latin works, but that's how the term AJ came about. 

The term AJ was used a lot during the 90s and early 2000s. Back then, S'pore society, including the SAF, was still very homophobic, so this was like a codeword for gay guys to use among one another.

I think it's less commonly used now?

6 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

From what I know, AJ is not an acronym for "Ah Jie".

It is derived from the pig latin form of the word "gay".

I'm not sure how pig latin works, but that's how the term AJ came about. 

The term AJ was used a lot during the 90s and early 2000s. Back then, S'pore society, including the SAF, was still very homophobic, so this was like a codeword for gay guys to use among one another.

I think it's less commonly used now?

AJ has nothing to do with Zoe or Fann. LOL

Yes, it is derived from Pig Latin, which is a secret language that takes the first consonant from each word out to form the second syllable with the vowel sound /ei/ (ie "ay")

For example,

cute becomes ute-chay

man becomes an-may

do becomes o-day (ie to have sex)

woman becomes o-way because oman-way is too obvious

likewise for gay

if we follow the rule, gay becomes ay-gay, which is not very clever as the gay sound remains. It was then tweaked to ay-jay to make it less obvious.

Hence the term AJ was created.

10 hours ago, Dean70 said:

AJ has nothing to do with Zoe or Fann. LOL

Yes, it is derived from Pig Latin, which is a secret language that takes the first consonant from each word out to form the second syllable with the vowel sound /ei/ (ie "ay")

For example,

cute becomes ute-chay

man becomes an-may

do becomes o-day (ie to have sex)

woman becomes o-way because oman-way is too obvious

likewise for gay

if we follow the rule, gay becomes ay-gay, which is not very clever as the gay sound remains. It was then tweaked to ay-jay to make it less obvious.

Hence the term AJ was created.

oh lol my friend said if you put the letter a above j you get g for gay 😂

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.