Male HQ

What's the best kind of job for a semi retiree?

appboy

After asking around, I think working half day instead of full day in the most ideal. 

As for company culture, the best is you don't need to think anything about work and no one will chase you on WhatsApp the moment you step out of office.

Typical part time rate will not do for us as if outflow is more than inflow, we can't save. We should get a decent salary with our years of experience.

Do you know of any? Private tutor is the only one I can think of. 

Edited by appboy

Guest Tomato
1 hour ago, DMassage said:

Find something you are passionate about to do. 

The life of a typical Singaporean is rather shallow.  Most would not have developed any hobbies during their lifetime, what more explore areas of passion.

Seem a simple question, but many would have no answer to this.

One good job could be the one you can do remotely from home.  One that requires Computer Science skills, for example.

Look in YouTube for free computer science courses.  The Harvard CS50 is a very intensive one that requires much study, but its skill can be valuable.

Ehh, it depends really what skills and interests you have.

My parents are retired teachers and do their own business online. Part of the proceeds go to help an orphanage overseas.

They are also pursuing my mom's interest in water colour painting and help a friend to organise classes for her to teach.

On weekends, they do online English classes for the orphanage which they are supporting.

That said, my dad does feel restless despite all the supplementary activities. During the year-end period last year, he worked as an invigilator for schools. He did want to try driving grab but my mom didn't allow him to, can't recall the reasons. So it really depends what sort of skills & interests you have I guess.

19 hours ago, appboy said:

After asking around, I think working half day instead of full day in the most ideal. 

As for company culture, the best is you don't need to think anything about work and no one will chase you on WhatsApp the moment you step out of office.

Typical part time rate will not do for us as if outflow is more than inflow, we can't save. We should get a decent salary with our years of experience.

Do you know of any? Private tutor is the only one I can think of. 

If u still need a decent salary, then u r probably not ready for semi-retirement. Semi-retirement should be the time when u don't worry about income,  focus on your interest or just find some work to pass time.

Our years of experience maybe too "costly" for the company, they might as well trained someone younger, can contribute longer and perhaps cheaper. 

For someone interesting in gardening work, baking etc. they may work in related field. Other position like cashier, food and parcel delivery, taxi and grab driver,  these are all job that offer flexible working hour. 

Edited by lonelyglobe

Guest Humbugged
On 6/3/2023 at 11:24 PM, lonelyglobe said:

Our years of experience maybe too "costly" for the company, they might as well trained someone younger, can contribute longer and perhaps cheaper. 

Just your fantasy.  Singapore youngsters have big ego, and felt entitled.  Anything lesser than their expectation, they will dissappear into thin air before their seat warm up.

The other day I was having a heated chat with a colleague about people who are working now are dreaming retirement... But people who are retired or semi retired keep finding work to do.... 

Why? Why don't just work at semi retired phase forever better right? Why work so hard for a retirement when it finally come, you just think of what to do... 

In my opinion, you need to live your life right now while you're young and free and able and healthy. 

Why wait until "retirement age" to start doing things. Want a new hobby start now while working not wait until retired... 

2 hours ago, Guest Humbugged said:

Just your fantasy.  Singapore youngsters have big ego, and felt entitled.  Anything lesser than their expectation, they will dissappear into thin air before their seat warm up.

That's why cannot blame foreigner coming in to work as they are ready for lower pay and longer hours.  I suspect a lot of the younger generation are already semi retire especially with the support of their rich parent.

55 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

That's why cannot blame foreigner coming in to work as they are ready for lower pay and longer hours.  I suspect a lot of the younger generation are already semi retire especially with the support of their rich parent.

It's a global phenomenon

Guest A bit true
3 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

I suspect a lot of the younger generation are already semi retire especially with the support of their rich parent.

Not all parents are rich, but just enough to ensure their children can remain unemployed until an ideal come around so that their children don't endure hardship working in wrong company.   While the very rich one, will support their child in doing business like opening a small cafe, shops or anything their children are passionate about.

On 6/7/2023 at 2:54 PM, Guest Lol said:

The other day I was having a heated chat with a colleague about people who are working now are dreaming retirement... But people who are retired or semi retired keep finding work to do.... 

Why? Why don't just work at semi retired phase forever better right? Why work so hard for a retirement when it finally come, you just think of what to do... 

In my opinion, you need to live your life right now while you're young and free and able and healthy. 

Why wait until "retirement age" to start doing things. Want a new hobby start now while working not wait until retired... 

That's exactly my thoughts. What did our parents live their lives doesn't necessarily mean it's correct. 

The boomer gen only knows how to work hard and accumulates illnesses over the years due to stress. All the money earned go to the hospital. What's the point?

There must be an another way out but not forgetting the X Gen is always time tight. It is also harder to find a job once you are not working full time in an industry.

Many employers deem it as you are out of industry for some time and might lose touch with the latest developments.

Edited by appboy

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.