Male HQ

My Jb Trip - Food

oralb

There are 2 parts in my JB report, for the sight seeing part, please refer HERE:

http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=12248

Lunch – Restoran Hua Mui (Jalan Trus)

Based on the food review from the Internet, I decided to make Restoran Hua Mui (along Jalan Trus) our stop for lunch. I was told this place is Mediacorp’s Michelle Chia favorite place as well.

JB_Hua_Mui_14.jpg

Restoran Hua Mui is a place to visit for its old town feel. The two storey eatery is like a walk down memory lane as it looked like they never changed the décor since it opened its door from 1948.

JB_Hua_Mui_02.jpg

JB_Hua_Mui_04.jpg

JB_Hua_Mui_01.jpg

They are using the old style trolley system to bring drinks up from 1st level.

JB_Hua_Mui_09.jpg

Look at the different types of sauces available

JB_Hua_Mui_05.jpg

On the food itself, we ordered the Hainanese Chicken Chop, which is their house specialty, and boy it sure didn’t disappoint.

JB_Hua_Mui_10.jpg

Look at the juicy skin!

JB_Hua_Mui_11.jpg

The chicken chop was very crispy, tasty and well marinated. Our friend mentioned that the brown sauce was little on the bland side and he should have stick to his initial order of Black Pepper Chicken chop instead.

Another point to note is that they used fresh peas instead of those canned one.

When we were at level 1 paying for the meal, we couldn’t help but to notice the antique cashier.

JB_Hua_Mui_12.jpg

And yes, it is still functional!

JB_Hua_Mui_13.jpg

They even have a blog, though not updated at all http://huamui.blogspot.com/

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Dinner – Jalan Meldrum

Nearby City Sq, along side Jalan Meldrum, there is the famous Meldrum walk food street in the back alley.

The behind tall building is City Sq.

JB_Jln_Meldrum_03.jpg

JB_Jln_Meldrum_04.jpg

JB_Jln_Meldrum_02.jpg

JB_Jln_Meldrum_01.jpg

JB_Jln_Meldrum_05.jpg

And since food street is in the back alley, the hygienic isn’t fantastic, places cramped, ventilation is bad as well, especially when we sat near the BBQ stingray store. I was jokingly said that it was the attack of the senses.

But as the saying goes, the more unhygienic the place, the better the hawker food (this explains why even in SG, the more famous hawker stalls tend to be those with C or D MOH rating :P)

Juicy chicken wings RM 1.50 each

JB_Jln_Meldrum_08.jpg

The stingray was very fresh, with tasty sambai sauce, though I prefer the stingray to be crispier on the side. RM 15

JB_Jln_Meldrum_07.jpg

Special mentioned on this dish

JB_Jln_Meldrum_06.jpg

Mixed vegetables, there were 3 types of vege inside, lady finger, “smelly bean” and another type that’s similar to lady fingers but crunchier taste. (I only find this in MY, not very common in SG) RM 7

JB_Jln_Meldrum_09.jpg

Oyster omelets, looked at the size of the oysters! This was only RM 5!

JB_Jln_Meldrum_12.jpg

Hokkien Mee. RM 3.50

JB_Jln_Meldrum_10.jpg

What’s special was the eggs was still soft and cling onto the noodles, different from the SG style where the egg will be pan fried.

JB_Jln_Meldrum_11.jpg

2 different types of popiah. RM 2

JB_Jln_Meldrum_13.jpg

The whitish one is the salad type, which tasted like KFC coleslaw wrapped in popiah, while the darker colored was the normal popiah. Still prefer the normal kind.

JB_Jln_Meldrum_15.jpg

After dinner…

JB_Jln_Meldrum_16.jpg

JB_Jln_Meldrum_17.jpg

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Wow! That looked like lot of fun!! Recently did one with friends to Malacca and spend the night there and it sure was alot of fun and even more food! We each brought a bottle of wine across and had lots of alcohol too! So much so, we adjurned to the hotel and carried on drinking there (as usual, got away with corkage :D ) Planing to do another to Penang next.....

I went to that food street too. I had the char kway teow mee there. Cooked in pork lard so it was really fragrant and all. RM 2.50 with many small but sweet cockles :thumb: I also didn't like the lighter coloured popiah. Didn't know they have the darker one.

• 4 weeks later...

City Square? behind Jalan Wong Ah Fook?

or is it nearer the Tamman Pelangi Area? or Taman Sentosa area?

I got a few fav places to eat there too... now with the new JB customs, makes it even nearer for me to get there... figuratively speaking... distance is actually increased... but the whole customs process... by the time you get out... you have bypassed the entire Johor Bahru City Centre... Jalan Wong Ah Fook is now a long Golden Mile complex sans traffic control for busses... cars? not many anymore... you not going there? you won't be passing by...

Personally I love the Wild animals dishes there... very nice...

• 8 months later...

Hey oralb,

there's a eating place just next to a restaurant called Zu Lin at taman sentosa. Just next to "The Store".

Supposedly Zu Lin is the famous one but somehow the restaurant next to it became popular.

Lots of singaporeans flock there to eat.

They are well know for the herbal chicken.

Not sure if u know abt this place already, thought you might wanna pop by to take a look.

• 1 month later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.