Male HQ

Bak Kwa... Bak Kwa... Which Is Best Bak Kua?

Baloo

Lim Chee Guan? overrated imho... quite good during off peak season... but peak season? all badly BBQed... mostly overcooked... they put to high heat and try to cook faster...

Bee Chun Hiang this year in Chinatown area... seem to be totally overstockked yet hardly many there to buy ... only LCG seem to be doing a roaring trade, but queues are indeed shorter than yesteryear...

I just waltz into BCH and bot my meats and left... I bet if you do a blind taste test... you can't tell the difference...

I bet if you do a blind taste test... you can't tell the difference...

Yes, I so agree with LCG messing up during peak periods, but off-peak, they are the best.

We did a blind tasting in the office once (off-peak period) and you can tell the difference from LCG, BCH, and Fragrance. LCG came out tops.

And no, they do not do single ranch/grand cru bak kwa... ha ha ha!!

two tricks with bak kwa:

1. buy early. it won't spoil if you put it in the fridge, even if you buy very early (as early as december). as baloo mentioned, if you buy now, you have to queue up, and then they anyhow barbecue.

2. heat the bak kwa up after you take it out from the fridge. bak kwa tastes nicest when it's warm. even fragrance bak kwa will taste good.

Edited by akated

jingle-bitch screwed me over

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

• 2 weeks later...

The CNY 15 days is not over yet... and I'm already bored with the bak kua i came across...

dry...

stiff...

lousy marinate (like those goons trying to save money on the ingredients)

yucks...

which goes to say... I hardly ate any this CNY season... most strange... less than 5 small slices!!

usually i can put away 3kg all by myself by the 10th day of the CNY...

which goes to say... I hardly ate any this CNY season... most strange... less than 5 small slices!!

Ha ha ha! Pretty much the same here. Somehow had lost the taste for it for the moment. Perhaps might to past LCG today to see if have queue and if the price has gone down to their regular pricing. S$48 per kg is just too much....

Somehow heating up frozen bak kwa just does not make it for me. Have tried it with a grill but it somehow turns out drier still. I guess steaming in this instance is not an option.....

the other day i was playing mahjong at Taka's house, his bf bought him some bak kua, from a shop in Bk Gombak... its Pineapple Bak Kua. upon tasting it, i confirmed that there were some minced pineapple mixed into the pork.... taste quite good actually. i asked his bf, and was told that he have to queue 1-2 hours for it.

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

• 6 months later...

I felt that the Off -paek season (which is now) is the best time to savour and feast on BVak Kwa.

I bought Lim Chee Guan (LCG) bak kwa last week and its pretty ex.

I bought 500 g.

Today, I walked past Chinatown and saw Fragrance having 44% OFF ! That's a steal.

I bought 500 g for only $12-60.

Guess what? I was disappointed when I plunge my 1st bite. Its not nice. As I am using my original ait right container, I took out the last few pcs of LCG bak kwa which I ought last week and munch them whilst I load the container with newly pucrchased Fragrance Bak Kwa.

Being 1 week old in the air tight container, it managed to steal the limelight from Frangrance !

No wonder its still Spore' #1 !

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

...1. buy early. it won't spoil if you put it in the fridge, even if you buy very early (as early as december). as baloo mentioned, if you buy now, you have to queue up, and then they anyhow barbecue.

i once overheard a counter staff explaining to the customer that this "type" of bakkwa will expire within 3 to 4days, so if we wish to buy early, we must buy the correct 'type'.

Anyone here knows what type(s) of bakkwa last longer?

i once overheard a counter staff explaining to the customer that this "type" of bakkwa will expire within 3 to 4days, so if we wish to buy early, we must buy the correct 'type'.

Anyone here knows what type(s) of bakkwa last longer?

Maybe the "correct" type are those vacuum packed that can last for 2 years but are dry and tough like leather.

yeah i do agree LCG tastes much better during off peak.

and i dun like those dried up ones so I rather not put in fridge.

well, normally i buy from both LCG and Mei Zheng Xiang. Chilli one from LCG and the normal one from Mei.

Then for bacon, normally also LCG.

Even for LCG, during festive season, the standard drops, either over cooked (burnt) or the meat just isn't nice.

Personally, i have tried LCG (off festive, yes it's nice), Jin Fun Yuan, Jin Piang Xiang, all are nice. But all these brands have limited outlets and the Q can be rather challenging. Easier to locate brands include Fragrance and Mei Zhen Xiang, which i prefers the former.

One way to keep it fresher is that if you notice the bak kua was packed, luke warm, then once you get home, quickly open up and air it. This is to prevent condensation from flowing back to the bak kua. Alternatively, repack it in an air tight container. It should last a few more days. (by then most of the bak kua should ended up inside your stomach liao) :lol:

Maybe I am going by the wrong time... the queue at LCG is SHORTER these days?

Or people are getting 'healthier' and just forget about queueing and just grab whoever is no queue?

Sometimes tho, I see LCG put up sign... "Sold Out for Today" which is why no more queue...

Must get the market statistics ....

MCH on the other hand, and Fragrance... since they have more outlets than MacDonalds (hahahahaha....) no queue... so I just buy there la... LCG maybe I go for the BEEF bak kua... which seems always to have stock becos most prefer pork or chicken... My only concern is... if their beef left there since June or something...

Speaking of Pineapple Bak Kua... i have yet to try... but you know pizza?

they already mixed salami with pineaple in Hawaiian style... damn good lor... so it's not surprising that bak kua will also taste super nice with this combination

I heard east side also has retailer for this right?

anyone can put the name of shop and location address up so we can all cheong for some before the CNY? haha...

Speaking of Pineapple Bak Kua... i have yet to try... but you know pizza?

they already mixed salami with pineaple in Hawaiian style... damn good lor... so it's not surprising that bak kua will also taste super nice with this combination

I heard east side also has retailer for this right?

anyone can put the name of shop and location address up so we can all cheong for some before the CNY? haha...

The shop (Jin Pin Xiang) is located along/faces Changi Road, just mins from Kembangan MRT. It's next to the Pork Kidney Mee Sua shop. Not tough to locate. A friend went 2 sundays back, and ended up 3hrs in Q! Limited to 500g of pineapple bak kwa per person.

Go after CNY, reckon no more crowd, and probably 3mins is all you need to get the bak kwa. :lol:

• 11 months later...

The shop (Jin Pin Xiang) is located along/faces Changi Road, just mins from Kembangan MRT. It's next to the Pork Kidney Mee Sua shop. Not tough to locate. A friend went 2 sundays back, and ended up 3hrs in Q! Limited to 500g of pineapple bak kwa per person.

Go after CNY, reckon no more crowd, and probably 3mins is all you need to get the bak kwa. :lol:

Jin pin Xiang is nice! Just get to eat last year when I went to my aunt house for CNY!

went to mei zen xiang (bee cheng hiang ) bak kwa (bugis )outlet last week end, bought two types of bak kwa , sliced pork and minced meat pork bak kwa , ordered 2 packs of 500 gm minced pork , 2 packs of 600 gm sliced pork , asked the service staff to pack them into 4 paper bags because i was giving it to four friends and colleagues as CNY gifts and treats paid up aropund 110 dollars and left the shop.

Went home , and later checked the receipt, aiyah the cashier punched the pack with 500gm bakwa as 600 gm , so i paid 600 gm price for 500gm of miced pork bak kwa (2x) , i was annoyed and wanted to go back to the shop to get my correct change but not to kick up a biog fuss, I was prepared that they will not honour theexchange since i left the shop without checking the receipt first.

Then , just to be sure i weighed all my bakwa packets with my kitchen scale, and i was surprised that they all wighed more than their intended weight of 500gm (2x) and 600 gm (2x) , so i let the matter rest.

Lesson learned, BEE CHENG Hiang do pack a bit more , just to be safe , in case customer dispute the amounts , so less embarassing for company and customers, if they go back to the shop for disputes.

I will remeber to check the receipts next time before leaving the shops, then i could have caught it in the bud.

So guys , hope my lesson will be helpful to you all.

Anyway , the profit margins for bak kwa is about ten times the 15 times the cost of the original piece of pork meat, meaning $45 a kilo of bak kwa, the cost of seasoning and the pork is les than three dollars, factored in the labor cost of sales staff and the factory labor and the barbecue and drying process about 8-9 dollars,

So i estimate, the profit margin of bakkwa is about $20 dollars a kilo of bakkwa , for the boss to keep in the bank, so Bee Cheng Hiang can be afford to give a bit more like 70 gms more per transaction,

if you want to be sure of what i said , weigh the bakkwa at home after you bought it from the shops, you will be surprised , they give you 70-80gms more than you paid for,

Hmmm... Correct me if I am wrong.. But i thought most bak kwa shops give abit "more" because of the papers used, to wrap up the bak kwa? This is what i observed in other brands as well..

Personally, I used to dislike Bee Cheng Hiang. The staff used to be impatient (I know is CNY and they are busy, but IF one is in service line, just don't be rude), and they give you more paper (the one used to contain the bak kwa) than anyone else and find their bak kwa a tad too sweet?

But for 2 years, I had received their bak kwa as gift and realised the taste has improved; less sweet and oily, also less paper. Hehee.. I also notice the service has improved.

To each its own, but I usually just buy a little from whatever I feels like eating.. for CNY, just for festive.. If anyone wants the real good bak kwa, the time to buy is the 11 months prior/after CNY. The logic being, no crowd, better BBQ of the meat and less expensive. :)

Hmmm... Correct me if I am wrong.. But i thought most bak kwa shops give abit "more" because of the papers used, to wrap up the bak kwa? This is what i observed in other brands as well..

Personally, I used to dislike Bee Cheng Hiang. The staff used to be impatient (I know is CNY and they are busy, but IF one is in service line, just don't be rude), and they give you more paper (the one used to contain the bak kwa) than anyone else and find their bak kwa a tad too sweet?

But for 2 years, I had received their bak kwa as gift and realised the taste has improved; less sweet and oily, also less paper. Hehee.. I also notice the service has improved.

To each its own, but I usually just buy a little from whatever I feels like eating.. for CNY, just for festive.. If anyone wants the real good bak kwa, the time to buy is the 11 months prior/after CNY. The logic being, no crowd, better BBQ of the meat and less expensive. :)

And no left over ones!

i personally queued for 3hrs for just 1kg of pineapple bbq pork from jin pin xiang. but to be honest, it tastes kinda the same as any normal ones, with the occassional crunchy taste of pineapple only. my mom thinks it's super nice though and drag me to queue since 10am.

i'm still in the queue-.-

---

Dignity is a facade we wear to hide our ignorance.

yeah I agree... just bot a kilo from another shop... not bad for personal consumption.. best to put it in toaster oven for a few minutes... damn shiok with ice cold beer while you watch your favourite movie at home.. or diet coke...

"bacon type" is PREMIUM bakua... made from sliced pork belly... and of course, because it's pork belly, it's nice, multi-layers of lean and not so lean meat, and damn nice to eat even if you just fry it with plain soy sauce and pepper...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.