Male HQ

Recommendation For A Good Tailor In Sg & Other Countries (Compiled)

Hi all

I would like to seek your help. I am joining a "stiff" organisation, very strict office code, where the guys are expected to wear long-sleeved shirt with monotone colours. The colour bit I don't mind, as I like pure white and blue shirts.

But I don't like the cuts of ready made shirts like Hardy Amis, Goldlion, etc etc that are sold at Robinsons or Isetan.

Do you know of any shop that sells shirts with good cuts - fitting, nice collar (but not too limp or too stiff), good cotton and comfortable? Or any bespoke tailor? I am thinking of CYC, but the shop gives me the impression of shirts that are in the 70s or 80s. I would like to look smart, with good fitting (but not body hugging) shirts that define my body and at the same time make me look professional (and desirable hahahahah). I am quite muscular, quite well toned, so I should seek shirts that bring out the best in me, don't you agree?

Also, any ideas about good, sleek pants? I bought a few pairs from Marks & Spencer, those woollen cashmere sorts. Their size 30 don't quite fit well - a bit loose, and the front below the zipper hangs down a bit. Do you think I should visit a good tailor to have custom made pants? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks much :)

Guest NoGO
Hmm.. Not sure of your body type..You can try G2000 Black Label. Slim cut & monotone colour.

Please don't try G2000. I bought two shirts which i totally regret. The materials seem to be a mixture of cotton and some polyester and the collar is too high for asians like us. It will make you look like you have no neck or a short neck.

And i think there's no such thing as cheap and quality products. One must be willing to invest i guess.

I suggest going to a tailor. If you wanna feel good, get something uniquely yours.

Guest Only Me

To each its own, I have not been buying my shirt and pants of the shelves for cause to me there is always something not right to the fitting, like shoulder too big, body too loose, sleeves to long, collar too tight, same with pants, bum to shaggy when waits is alright, thigh too fits when groin too low... so I deciede then to tailor my office wear, till now..

At the same time you will know if your waist has grown oever the years, and the best part is that you will never see yourself putting on the same shirt like anybodyelse on the street, the the bus-train or in the building where you work.

When ever I goes to Bangkok or Vietnam, I will buy some good nice material, even here you can get good nice material to your liking like in People Park, Arab Street and Jalan Sultan. Even the tailor that you go will have good material.

Get a good tailor, try one then if it dosemnt fit to your liking tell him to adjust it with the next shirt, go on till the fitting is perfect to your liking... there after just tell the tailor to do excatly the same cutting for ever... that if you dont change your size, like when you beef-up or put on weight.

One last thing - design... look around for the best to your liking, read some magazine or men's catalouge for good design that suits your body size.

No one is right or wrong in fashion, I said it again to each its own.

In the days when I had to dress up to go to work, I used to wear tailored shirts. I think nothing compliments a guy more than a shirt made specifically to fit his body. Every time I go to BKK, I will get them made there.

Alas the days of dressing up to work are over. :) My dry cleaning bill has also come down considerably.

Love. 

Guest Only Me

There are lots of good tailor island wide, its just finding one that suits your liking, listen to your needs and ofcourse price... my regular tailor is so good that i just gave him my material and 2 weeks later I get a brand new shirts and its cost me just $25.00 for workmanship... materials I will hunt for good ones from those off my earlier post.

Thanks the owner of this topic for posting this question. its been my queries as well.

Since everyone recommends a tailor, can anyone recommend some good tailor that knows the trend and cater for younger guys?

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

CYC is one of the best tailors here. LKY gets his shirts there, so should you. Choose the fabric you want first.. and then find a tailor who suits your requirements. If you're the type who prefers polyester over egyptian cotton, please just stick to G2000 or Robinsons sale for good value.

The tailors in BKK, HK and Shanghai are quite mixed but can be great value at the same prices as a shirt from Raoul, Alain Figaret or Brooks Brothers.

Edited by TopChinese

Guest Closetedbibeef

Hey you should go PIMABS to take a look. They are located at 32B Boat Quay. Leslie provides excellent cuts and designs. Always get praises from the shirts i made there. www.pimabs.com

Cheers

CYC looks really good!

Anyone knows the price range?

Since LKY buys his shirt there... it should be quite pricey right?!

How much does a custom made CYC shirt cost?

The price range for CYC custom made shirts are between US$80 for a basic shirt to about US$180 for a shirt of 100% sea-island cotton.

Hey you should go PIMABS to take a look. They are located at 32B Boat Quay. Leslie provides excellent cuts and designs. Always get praises from the shirts i made there. www.pimabs.com

Cheers

They are good but it comes with a hefty price tag.... about $280 per shirt.

I have a few tailors....

One that charges $50 per shirt. This I go for the plain "normal" shirts (usually single coloured / textured materials).

The other is Oxford Tailors (OUB Centre level 4). They charge around $120 per shirts.

When I need something more colourful and exciting.....!

When I am in the mood for 1-of-a-kind shirt, I go for PIMABS.

Edited by jazz

Guest SomethingNew

Whenever we talk about office wear, we always hear shirts and pants.

Is there something more convenient that we can wear to work everyday?

Something that does not require ironing and still look good and professional enough to meet client...

Something that is more comfortable then hanging yourself on a tie...

Guest -Fugues-

You can try Charles Tyrwhitt in Vivo City. They are shirtmakers from Jermyn Street in London. i believe there is a sale on ... Otherwise you can try the Italian designers such as Zegna, Armani etc

Guest thatwasrunie

the thing about marks and spencer is that its tailored in the size of europeans/americans/etc but not for asians.

sad FACT

you could try going for g2000.

:)

the thing about marks and spencer is that its tailored in the size of europeans/americans/etc but not for asians.

sad FACT

you could try going for g2000.

:)

Personally, i go for G2000 pants for its good value n nice cut. I dont go for their shirt bec it doesnt fit my longer body. {Btw, I m 180cm 75kg & around 32 inch waist]. The reason i like G2000 pants bec the length fits me perfectly and for working pants u just need a sombre colour and nothing fanciful. For shirt , i like Zara shirt for its nice fitting due to the darts on the back. Springfield casual shirts are nice cut too but not sure abt their workwear.

Something that does not require ironing and still look good and professional enough to meet client...

Well of course there's always the skirt and blouse....or just a simple black dress...

I have found a trick that somewhat works to my convenience particularly in the summer months which I supposed can work for Singapore being that both are hot weather. I will bring about 1 week's dry cleaned shirts and leave them in my office. I will go to work in my dress pants and a polo tee-shirt and change when I get into the office. Being that it can be ridiculously hot, I find this method to be convenient and prevents that sweat drenched shirt thing.

After I moved to a less formal part of the company business, I hung up the suit for the most parts. Still, I kept a blazer in the office. I just put a blazer over what I am wearing that day when I go and meet clients. I think a smart blazer makes up for the lack of a shirt and tie. You can still look good in jeans and a dress shirt with a blazer thrown over.

I tried the wrinkle free shirts for a while but didn't really like them. Something about a well ironed shirt that makes a statement I supposed.

Love. 

I have found a trick that somewhat works to my convenience particularly in the summer months which I supposed can work for Singapore being that both are hot weather. I will bring about 1 week's dry cleaned shirts and leave them in my office. I will go to work in my dress pants and a polo tee-shirt and change when I get into the office. Being that it can be ridiculously hot, I find this method to be convenient and prevents that sweat drenched shirt thing.

After I moved to a less formal part of the company business, I hung up the suit for the most parts. Still, I kept a blazer in the office. I just put a blazer over what I am wearing that day when I go and meet clients. I think a smart blazer makes up for the lack of a shirt and tie. You can still look good in jeans and a dress shirt with a blazer thrown over.

I tried the wrinkle free shirts for a while but didn't really like them. Something about a well ironed shirt that makes a statement I supposed.

hi chelseasian,

May I know what blazer do you recommend? Brand etc?

Are there anything I shld look out for when getting one? Material etc.

Thanks!

hi chelseasian,

May I know what blazer do you recommend? Brand etc?

Are there anything I shld look out for when getting one? Material etc.

Thanks!

For blazers, nothing looks better than one made from wool, or wool mix with something else- i.e. silk. Just make sure you are in an air-conditioned environment, I would not be walking around with one outside in the hot weather. Having said that, in the summer (or in Singapore) go for linen based blazers. They tend to be airer and easier to breath and cool. However, linen type blazers tend to look a little resorty. It looks more casual smart than smart casual. it really depends on what you wear it with.

Another option for the casual smart look is blazers made with corduroy. Personally I am not a fan of anything corduroy. But it works well, especially when paired with a t-shirt and jeans look. It is a good look for a night out vs. to work unless you are in the creative/ entertainment, industry.

As I am not too familiar with what is available in Singapore in terms of brands and stores, what I like so far are blazers or sports jacket from Zara or H&M. They are affordable and trendier. If you need something more conservative, try Banana Republic. Keep in mind Zara and H&M are European based chains, so their styles are more trendy and tend to be more fitting/slim cut vs. BR which is American which I find to be more boxy in terms of cut.

Still many smaller designers do churn out some sort of blazer and/or sports jacket every so often. Just go for whatever makes you comfortable and works for you,

The key to all this dressing up so to speak is to look professional. How you dress, what you dress in is all about the message you are trying to convey across.

When choosing a blazer, try it with a shirt on, preferably a shirt with a colour that will contrast well with the blazer. I find darker colours work better with Asians- i.e. navy, charcoal, black. I think this is because it brings out more contrast vs. browns or earth tones. If you cannot decide, stick to black You can never go wrong with black.

Love. 

• 7 months later...
Guest -curious-
I know a gay tailor in Johore because long time ago he cruised me when I was in that shopping centre. Sometimes I have this fantasy of making a new pant and imagining what he would do when he performs measurements ?? :twisted: (sorry to sidetrack from SG)

Why don't you just try once and your fantasy becomes a reality and you'll know for sure? Alternatively, why not provide us with the details and perhaps some would travel all the way to try? :)

To date I have tried CYC at Raffles hotel . A bit on the high end. Good material and designs are good too. Pants can cost about $200+ depending on material. Shirt from $150 to $200 + depending on material and trimmings required. Remember that they suggest additions to make the shirt nicer, but these additions mean more $$$. Workmanship is good and fit is good too.

Also use to go to Men's Tradition at peninsula. its ok for daily use. prices from $40 - $150.. depending on fabric.

Guest Anonymous

Try MILANO at Temple street chinatown. Has been in business for 20 years.

Very repuatble. I ask my foreign friends to get their shirts ans suits from there

Very reeasonable rate and quality is superb.

Guest Bored...

Think you should check out Clothesmith www.clothesmith.asia a new boutique opened by PIMABS www.pimabs.com Clothes at Pimabs are quite expensive... prices start $229 but think its worth the money as they provide unique designs. Clothesmith ones are cheaper prices start $130 they have the same great cutting :thumb: and they will advice what colours and collars will suit your face shape :clap: real cool... the shirts they tailored made me look lively, slim and it help made my face look smaller! (i have a fat face)... so happy afterwards that i sign up a package with them! averaged out is $100 per piece. Nice cozy setting located at 48B Boat Quay (2nd level) above a Korean restaurant i think, facing the river. Keep a look out for it though, i missed it as they dont have a signage up. Cheers

Slightly off topic here but I am looking for vest (waistcoats) that can be worn with suits and I like those with some nice patterns on them, not those boring ones that matches the suits exactly. I remember such vest used to be sold in most shopping centres but no more.

Besides going to a tailor, anyone knows where I can get them off the shelf?

Slightly off topic here but I am looking for vest (waistcoats) that can be worn with suits and I like those with some nice patterns on them, not those boring ones that matches the suits exactly. I remember such vest used to be sold in most shopping centres but no more.

Besides going to a tailor, anyone knows where I can get them off the shelf?

Paul Smith... very nice selection if you are willing to pay.

Think you should check out Clothesmith www.clothesmith.asia a new boutique opened by PIMABS www.pimabs.com Clothes at Pimabs are quite expensive... prices start $229 but think its worth the money as they provide unique designs.

The last time visit PIMABS at chinatown area, quite a charming guy.

Wonder whether he is people like us ???

Yes, the price is expensive to me.

wow you people really have expensive taste...

my tailored pants never went above $80... and I'm big sized (more cloth!!)

sorry, i just get one or two pairs of well cut pants... and go to the $90 for 3 pairs shop and tell them to replicate, chosing the material they offer - of course must 'guarantee' no shrinkage la...

the well cut pants i make at Boston Tailor, or MyWardrobe at Peninsula...

sorry for being the cheepskate here...

Edited by Baloo

Guest yumiloh
wow you people really have expensive taste...

my tailored pants never went above $80... and I'm big sized (more cloth!!)

sorry, i just get one or two pairs of well cut pants... and go to the $90 for 3 pairs shop and tell them to replicate, chosing the material they offer - of course must 'guarantee' no shrinkage la...

the well cut pants i make at Boston Tailor, or MyWardrobe at Peninsula...

sorry for being the cheepskate here...

Let me thanks u first before some else start flaming you. Thanks thanks thanks, I was about to go to Bangkok to tailor my suit for work,

heard that prices there are only slightly cheaper but since i was gonna be in bangkok for company so might as well , I will try some local tailor and compare their workmanship then i will let everybody know my findings.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.