Male HQ

Recommendation For A Good Tailor In Sg & Other Countries (Compiled)

Is Leslie the one tailoring? What we need is a good tailor...not salesman.

Leslie is the main tailor.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Poor guy

Hi all

Need some help from the good ppl of bw. I have just started work recently and looking for cheap tailored pants for office.

I have alw liked those slim cut office pants that is so popular with young execs these days.

I am on a very tight budget and have heard of tailors that charge $80 for 3 pieces. This price is abt what i can afford for now.

These are some of the q that i hope to find answers to :

1. Anyone has tried them and if they are worth looking into.

2. Any particular tailors to recommend, ie, the location and name of shop

3. Are the material used very lousy

4. Wud they usually charge u more over the slightest excuse

Wud appreciate some guidance here.

Thanks vm

hi, i can totally understand you situation.

had the same problem when i started work 4 years ago.

1. Anyone has tried them and if they are worth looking into.

( I really think tailer pants are good, but do know have an idea of what design, cutting, materials you preferred before going into the shop. or you can snap the pictures of the nice pants you see around and tailored it)

2. Any particular tailors to recommend, ie, the location and name of shop

(mine first was made in my neighbourhood shop in Keat Hong, it was good. but cannot match your budget, try ChinaTown area)

3. Are the material used very lousy

(mine I will say value for money, you get what you pay for)

4. Wud they usually charge u more over the slightest excuse

(hmm depends, i guess, from the way you wrote, i guess you are in quite a good shape, shouldn't have any thing to charge you on. of course, unless you want additional things on your pants, but extra pockets, buttons should be ok.)

i suggest that you can consider making 2 pants first, as your budget is quite hard to get good quality pants. now the market rate is ard $80 for 2.

alternatively, you can just buy from shops the cheaper pants for the time being.

maybe when you get your first pay, then you can tailor make pants with really good quality clothing.

again, if can maybe you can borrow money from your parents, since i assume you just started working, you should still be living with them.

Ah! I need alteration for my jeans. Is it worth just altering one pair? And any tailor to recommened for student budget?

Most neighbourhood should have 1 or 2 tailoring service. Tailoring on length should be about 5$ for a pair.

If I cant feel it, I aint faking it

what i did for my pants is that i went around looking for ones which design and details i like. I then brought it to my tailor to make it more fitting. i think that would cost cheaper than going to the tailors to custom make.

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

-- Oscar Wilde

Tailor... I have given up on finding a good ones. U have to try a few to see which suits you best. Besides workmanship n prices, compatibility is most important. The final work should compliments your lower body parts.

Seeds/Padini has good range of menswear. If they have sale, it would be as good as 50% discounts. A shirt I paid after discount is Rm80 n a pants is RM68.

Just got back from KSL City yesterday, Daniel Hatcher pants at RM80 after discount at their Branded Expo Hall Sale. 2nd floor has a shop that sells Korean Menswear. Pretty good price n collection.

If I cant feel it, I aint faking it

• 1 year later...
Guest Zig Zag

Whatever you do, avoid going to Frank Tailor at Peninsula Plaza. I had a very bad experience there. Had to go back 3 times for fitting as they cannot get their shit together. The stitching was just sloppy and the shirt simply looks bad. I am definitely not going back there. 

had tried 4 tailors at peninsula plz, the one that I have been with sometime is dezenno uomo. else can try tessuti collezioni, which is opp dezenno. but you try to get the boss david to attend to you instead of his wife.

Edited by Fe5000

只不过只是...

• 2 weeks later...

bad experience at Men at Work - peninsula, tailor made my pants to be wrong waist size! That is the basic! pants also can go wrong. the pants look like G2000, nth special. wont support again.

bad experience at Men at Work - peninsula, tailor made my pants to be wrong waist size! That is the basic! pants also can go wrong. the pants look like G2000, nth special. wont support again.

G2000 pants are decent. It does not look salah. Problem could be you, not the pants. :)

G2000 pants are decent. It does not look salah. Problem could be you, not the pants. :)

Yes, what's wrong with their pants? The design and material of their pants are quite decent for work and fun in exec wear too, haha. I love their tight slim/skinny fit pants. But if you are looking for fanciful korean style designs, you may try POA, Domanchi etc.

Oxford Tailor and Iris Tailor should be able to provide decent shirts, trousers and suits.

Iris Tailor (@ Lucky Plaza) especially has been generating quite a bit of buzz online, e.g on Styleforum. Very sharp suits indeed, from 900 plus onwards, if I'm not mistaken, depending on fabric.

Oxford Tailor ( @China Square) does good slim-fit shirts in soft, comfy Egyptian cotton (about $145 per shirt the last time I checked circa 2013)

There's Justmens as well in Tanglin area, style and cut is geared more for senior management types and not as fashion-forward as Oxford. Quality wool-blend trousers for daily office wear should be about $180.

Don't forget to invest in good shoes! No point spending $$$$ on shirts and suits and forgetting probably the most crucial element of the whole ensemble- the shoes. For those who work in formal corporate environments, a black or dark chocolate / espresso captoe oxford is a must .-D

For more casual environments (relatively speaking), a derby or monkstrap would be good, maybe even a penny loafer.

There's a Spanish brand called Meermin which seems good value for money. Allan Edmonds, a US brand is another.

Carmina is another Spanish brand with a lot on online buzz, very highly regarded but I believe these are in the S$500 plus range.

If you are willing to take a chance on an online purchase via EU / UK / US web-sites you do multiply your options considerably.

A really good quality pair of shoes helps enrich the overall look, whether you are in a suit or just work-shirt and trousers.

• 1 month later...

I used to go to frank tailor in peninsula starting way back in 2004.

for many years he tailored great quality, shirts, suits and trousers - the trousers were cut very well. no puffing up when you sat down, comfortable fit with wallet, keys, phone in the pockets. tried 2 other tailors in peninsula and HK and they could not match up.

However, recently, i went back and tailored 3 pants and a suit. unfortunately, the quality and workmanship was poor.

had to go back 3 times to get it redone and it was still not good.

when i asked frank why the workmanship was not like before, the answer really shocked me.

"many europeans come and sew 3-4 suits at one time, nobody complains"

anyone else experience this sub-standard quality from frank tailor recently?

Any suggestions for tailors who can sew good quality trousers and suits?

did some research and came across these 2

1. Marksmen in Katong Shopping Centre

2. Brazil Tailor in Beauty world

Thoughts and suggestions most welcome

for many years he tailored great quality, shirts, suits and trousers - the trousers were cut very well. no puffing up when you sat down, comfortable fit with wallet, keys, phone in the pockets. tried 2 other tailors in peninsula and HK and they could not match up.

However, recently, i went back and tailored 3 pants and a suit. unfortunately, the quality and workmanship was poor.

when i asked frank why the workmanship was not like before, the answer really shocked me.

what's your budget and material?

只不过只是...

Has anyone tried to make a linen jacket in Singapore before? I know its quite rare here but I just love the material esp in the heat!

not at all rare just most tailor would have it. it's only the price. Linen are more X than wool blend. For safe bet, consider commission K by Kevin Seah?

只不过只是...

Guest Guest

Frank Tailor gives me the creeps.  The boss was casting a suspicious eye on me throughout the time I was there, and it was not as though I was behaving abnormally. *shudder*

Suffice it to say that there are other tailors which are cheaper and which do not treat you like an alien.

• 4 months later...

Had the same experience as miki_fiki206789 with Frank Tailor. Had ordered shirts and pants from Frank about 4 times before but this time, workmanship was really bad. Had to go back three times to have my shirts corrected but still cannot make it. In the end I just left without the shirts even though already paid in full. Total waste of time.

• 4 weeks later...

Possible to tailor pants for $50 - $80 in Singapore? Hard to get one that fits me well regardless where I go. They always look baggy on me...

tried brazil tailor before, ok lah not too good not too bad lah. i wanted more tight fitting pants but then the uncle say exec wear till so tight fitting is ugly should wear more professionally, end up i settled for a slightly loose fit

i wont say the cutting and fitting is ugly, its contemporary lah just that i wanted more korean style.

price wise, really depend on the material you choose. i'm on budget so i think mine is about 80 per pants. well g2000 or other boutiques cost this much as well but this is tailored so what can you ask for

shirts wise, same thing lah, they are capable of doing till whatever kind of fit you want but again, they would recommend the more professional look rather than the tight fit look

I can recommend a best tailor name that is Marty's new fashion in Bangkok and they will work with you. They are very helpful and provide good quality.

http://www.martynewfashion.com

I saw the pricing and its in US dollars! For the same number in SGD, I can always ask my tailor to make my shirts and pants (I can't fit into the off-the-shelf ones)

I would like to recommend the Toms Fashion custom tailor Bangkok, he is very good quality tailor for men and women. I have been using that services since 2008 and I have no any complaint in fitting and stitiching, They did great job for us, prices is also good not much expensive. And he is alway pucntual on time in case of all customers.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest wee sern

I made a suit in bkk but now the sleeves are too tight (elbow cannot bend to less 90 degrees) any shop in Singapore recommended to do alteration? Of course assuming there are enough cloth in it for them to do. If possible, how much will it usually cost?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest Banna

Please don't try G2000. I bought two shirts which i totally regret. The materials seem to be a mixture of cotton and some polyester and the collar is too high for asians like us. It will make you look like you have no neck or a short neck. 

And i think there's no such thing as cheap and quality products. One must be willing to invest i guess.

I suggest going to a tailor. If you wanna feel good, get something uniquely yours.

• 11 months later...
Guest RafflesExec

Hi brothers, can you guys recommend a good and affordable tailor for a young working professional like me? Salary is not high but work in front-line position at CBD area and need to look smart and presentable in well-fitting executive wear. Cannot afford those well-known but expensive tailors. I know Bangkok have good tailors but no time to go there to make clothes. Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

Guest RafflesExec

Hi brothers, can you guys recommend a good and affordable tailor for a young working professional like me? Salary is not high but work in front-line position at CBD area and need to look smart and presentable in well-fitting executive wear. Cannot afford those well-known but expensive tailors. I know Bangkok have good tailors but no time to go there to make clothes. Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

Guest RafflesExec
3 hours ago, Guest Fatty said:

este bartin

What is their price range for 1 shirt and pants? Any reviews on their services from our brothers here?

Are there any small neighbourhood shops with those experienced tailors that charge affordable prices for fresh uni grads?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.