Male HQ

Dim Sum

Based on my own taste preference only so cld a bit subjective; some with top notch posh decor but serves inexcusable dim sum hv not been included below. Tiers below refers to price points.

1. highend: Jiang NanChun @ 4 Seasons Hotel, Lei Garden @ Chymes, Golden Peony @ Conrad Hotel, Crystal Jade @ Paragon;

IF just for business entertainment to impress with ambience & good service, but eat pricey average tasting dimsum, include Shang Palace @ Shangrila to (1).

2. Upper mid: Jade Seafood @ Forum Galleria, Crystal Jade @ Ngee Ann City, Taste Paradise @ Mosque St

3. Mid-tier: Crystal Jade @ Vivocity, Spring Court @ Upper Cross St, Yan Palace @ Upper Cross St

4. Economy: Ah Yat @ TurfCity (promotion for lunch only)

Have fun.

Saw this advert from Humble House offering 1-for-1 buffet dimsum on weekends.

Personnelly i have not try them, but they are from the tung luk group, and belongs to the atas lot.

So my guess is they should be good.

Went to one at Marina Mandrain, think its called Peach Blossom, and was very disappointed with its buffet dinner.

For the price i pay, i think a simple dimsum meal at Victor's kitchen (alacarte only)@sunshine plaza is so much better!

I love weekend dim sum brunches but hardly got frens to go with. :(

The Wah Lok dim sum at Carlton is not bad but can be a little pricey. Now looking for cheap and good ones. :D

Had dim sum lunch there today, as it was the only Chinese restaurant we could secure a table at such last minute notice.... Not my first time there but the food turn out to be a tad disappointing comparing to previous experience. With a price tag of almost $170 after taxes and service charge for 3 adults and 2 children (below 5), I do not see the value for money. For this price, I could have been eating at Ritz-Carlton's Summer Pavilion. Will not be back at Wah Lok for dim sum again.

Oh Wah Luk that bad?

I was still thinking about trying it out.

If u are interested in simple HarGao and SiewMai, i would recommend this place called "Mian Jia" at Taman Jurong Bowl, beside the huge Seng Song.

Its a decent HK style restuarant that sells nice "Ting Zai Chork" too.

If not Victor's kitchen at Sunshine plaza also not bad.

But both of them all not buffet style ones.

Paramount Hotel opp Parkway seems ulu to me leh.

Got good food there?

Anyone second that?

• 2 months later...
Oh Wah Luk that bad?

I was still thinking about trying it out.

If u are interested in simple HarGao and SiewMai, i would recommend this place called "Mian Jia" at Taman Jurong Bowl, beside the huge Seng Song.

Its a decent HK style restuarant that sells nice "Ting Zai Chork" too.

If not Victor's kitchen at Sunshine plaza also not bad.

But both of them all not buffet style ones.

Paramount Hotel opp Parkway seems ulu to me leh.

Got good food there?

Anyone second that?

You can try Happy Restaurant at Lion City Hotel.

Plus points:

(1) Good food

(2) Good price 16.80++ for dimsum buffet

(3) Good service

Negative points:

(1) Lion city hotel a tad old

Based on my own taste preference only so cld a bit subjective; some with top notch posh decor but serves inexcusable dim sum hv not been included below. Tiers below refers to price points.

1. highend: Jiang NanChun @ 4 Seasons Hotel, Lei Garden @ Chymes, Golden Peony @ Conrad Hotel, Crystal Jade @ Paragon;

IF just for business entertainment to impress with ambience & good service, but eat pricey average tasting dimsum, include Shang Palace @ Shangrila to (1).

2. Upper mid: Jade Seafood @ Forum Galleria, Crystal Jade @ Ngee Ann City, Taste Paradise @ Mosque St

3. Mid-tier: Crystal Jade @ Vivocity, Spring Court @ Upper Cross St, Yan Palace @ Upper Cross St

4. Economy: Ah Yat @ TurfCity (promotion for lunch only)

Have fun.

Agreed.

high-end there are a few more.

Haitian lou at pan pacific ( very creative and tasty)

Yu lou at Fullerton.

Xia gong at Regent

Li Bai at Sheraton.

Ming Jiang at Goodwood Park.

Upper mid add

szechuan court at fairmont

Tou hua shangzhuang at UOB

Yu bao at T3.

Wah lok at carton ( must check the bill as they always make mistake )

Pine court at Mandarin Hotel

Mid tier

Black society at Vivo

Chinese Restaurant at Marina Bay Clubhouse.

Economy

hong xing ( the troy type, very fun )near havelock road.( those who like mature could try there too )

Crytal Jade at TPY ( Very crowded )

Thiong Bahru Bao Dian ( Take away ) at TB market

*Geylang Lor 27 coffee shop ( in front of bus stop )

*Mini Bao Opposite katong swimming pool( Take away, dine in at coffee shop )

Jia xiang at the hotel opposite Parkway way Parade.

** if you want to know the exact place, message me.

Condemn cases ( unless they improve over the next two months )

xing fu ying char China Town ( Not fresh enough )

Crystal Jade Marine Parade ( Poor Service due to massive crowd, They can't handle well )

Edited by GKS

Red Star Restaurant 红星酒家

This place serves the very traditional type of dim sum, the atmosphere there very retro too.. and that all dim sum are push cart style.

Operating Hours:

Dim Sum: 7am - 3pm

Lunch: 10.30am - 2.30pm

Dinner: 6pm - 10.30pm

Address:

Blk 54 Chin Swee Road

#07-23

Tel: 6532 5266 / 6532 5103

i dun usually make reservations for the place. i usually just pop by and queue. the queue should be quite fast de. and just in case u dunno where is chin swee road. its somewhere near Gallery Hotel. level 1-5 are carkparks. park ur car there, and then walk up the stairs / or u can also take the lift. place a bit ulu. but can be quite crowded. and its ala-carte. not buffet.

They will issue every table with a stamp card. just stop any push cart and order whatever from there. the staff will put a stamp indicating the price on the card. after you finished your meal, just bring the card to the cashier for payment.

when the restaurant is very crowded. it can take a while for the push-cart to be somewhere near u.

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

ooh... Dim Sum... my fav! Savouring Dim Sums runs in my family guys for 3 generations liao... i always remember having morning tea at Chinatown 大东 restaurant with grandpa and pa... Restaurant staff pushing the hot steaming carts and yelling their dishes available... uncles talking loudly in cantonese... me always staring at the dish names on wooden tablets hanging on the tiled walls...

ok, i like Bro GKS rating system! So here's my pick in various budget/pricing:-

Above Mid-range

Ming Jiang Restaurant - Goodwood Park Hotel (For celebratory occassions)

Mid-range

Peach Garden - Thomson Plaza (My current fav hunt!)

Mass-range

Crystal Jade - All branches (Their standards are quite consistent across branches)

Red Star - Chin Swee (not bad dim sum at affordable price... only for those who has the patience to queue for at least an hr)

Condemn Ones (U call this Dim Sum?! what an insult to the cuisine)

幸福饮茶 - Toa Payoh & Chinatown

揾到食 - Geylang

Edited by Panda_9791

Koh Samui, I need u...

I was told by a food connoisseur, the way to evaluate the quality of dimsum, just try out the few essential ones. If they are good, the rest should be as good.

Har Gau - the skin must be paper thin and the shrimp fresh and crunchy.

Siew Mai - the filling must juicy and yet compact, the minced pork should be flavourful.

Char Siew Bau - the skin fluffy and the char siew filling chunky and moist

Dan Tart - the pastry should be flaky and the egg custard should quiver slightly like jelly.

All the Crystal Jade outlets pass this test (they are also quite consistent cos they are all made in the central kitchen) and also quite value for money, one of my favourite.

Red Star - their Har Gau are large and too 'crude' - the skin are super thick; egg tart filling too dense.

Peach Garden - Thomson Plaza is better than the one at Novena.

Tung Lok's Noble House in UIC building / Shenton Way and Paramount in Paramount Hotel - good dimsum overall

Dragon Pheonix Resturant at Liang Court - reasonably good

Swee Choon on Jalan Besar - no frill, value for money dimsum.

i visited the Red Star Restaurant for their Dim Sum last weekend. haha after my last posting, suddenly realised that i got a craving for Dim Sum. so went down over the weekend...

i did a review with some pics. if you are interested.

http://shitou79.blogspot.com/2009/07/red-star-dimsum.html

120720093291.jpg

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

i visited the Red Star Restaurant for their Dim Sum last weekend. haha after my last posting, suddenly realised that i got a craving for Dim Sum. so went down over the weekend...

i did a review with some pics. if you are interested.

http://shitou79.blogspot.com/2009/07/red-star-dimsum.html

120720093291.jpg

Arrrrhhh, look at those thick skinned Har Gau!!

I had mentioned to the manager there about this but apparently, either they are not keen to improve or those diners there prefer thick skin Har Gau.

And the Siew Mai skin are too yellow with artificial colouring, eeek.

And according to the blog, the Char Siew Bau is still so thick skin and filled with the same with minced Char Siew, eeeek

I'll not go back even for free.

• 1 month later...

I had dim sum at Teochew City Seafood restaurant at Centrepoint (5th floor) and it's not bad. The steam carrot cake and teochew vegetable dumplings are very nice. We usually order about 5 dishes and end up paying about $40 for two person. Not too bad. I would like to try teochew dim sum at Teochew Ocean Seafood rest. at Shaw centre. Anyone been there for their dim sum?

I would like to try teochew dim sum at Teochew Ocean Seafood rest. at Shaw centre. Anyone been there for their dim sum?

Its Hong Kong style. OK la, not of out this world but acceptable. very crowded on weekends.

Pine Court at Meritus Mandarin got good tim sum buffet for lucnh. Very cheap on weekdays cos hotel lobby under renovation

Pine Court at Meritus Mandarin got good tim sum buffet for lucnh. Very cheap on weekdays cos hotel lobby under renovation

Thanks for feedback re Ocean rest. Hmm looks like i need to try dim sum at Pine court now. I heard there's a dim sum stall somewhere in Toa Payoh selling teochew dim sum thats pretty good. I think it was mentioned in Makansutra food guide too. Anyone here know about this teochew foodstall?

I went to Crystal Jade@Vivo City last week with some colleagues and was pleasantly surprised the standard of the food there is quite high. Their Xiao Long Paos are oozing with juice. I would think that the quality of the tim sum is top notch and also you get a nice view of the bay.

我有煙但係邊個有火。。。

I heard there's a dim sum stall somewhere in Toa Payoh selling teochew dim sum thats pretty good. I think it was mentioned in Makansutra food guide too. Anyone here know about this teochew foodstall?

Its called Teochew Handmade Pau. Blk 127 Lorong 1 Toa Payoh, #02-02. Tel: 62542053. Its the second floor of the hawker centre. You must try their mini paus, especially the kong bak pau and char siew paus. They start selling early at 6am in morning and normally sell out by early afternoon.

Edited by nicefatboy

Is the Tiong Bahru Pau at hong Lim Food and Market Place the same (i.e. branch) as the one at Tiong Bahru Food and Market Place and Tiong Bahru Road? Thanks.

I have no idea if it is a branch of the original Tiong Bahru one. I can ask them next time I am there again. The paus are not bad...I cant remember the individual prices but I ordered a total of nine items (2 egg tarts, 2 lay yong paus, 2 red bean paus, 2 char siew paus, and a big chicken bun) for $7. I think the price is not bad.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.