Male HQ

Death Of A Great Bak Kut Teh

There's this stall at Sin Min Drive, at the foot of a block of flats. quite famous and tasty pepper style bak kut teh...

been eating there wif friends whenever in the area.

yesterday morning went there after servicing my car... totally unreal

the soup was pepper water (with the pepper so freshly thrown in you can taste THAT) totally no more oomph...

perhaps they want to chase away customers - business too good, work until seow leow... just anyhow do so can slow down a bit...

i dunno... maybe the old man doing the cooking really died. or serious illness and no longer can prepare the soup...

another great dining venue ... dead...

:angry:

yes, it is.

but port klang you need to plan the trip and take leave unless you going up friday nite and back sunday nite...

personally, I'd just take the local one... when in Malaysia, then try their bak kut teh...

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I don't like Founder's Bak Kut Teh.

I like the one on Balestier Road, just beside the Boon Tong Kee Chiken Rice and Zhe Char.

Pepper and Garlic style, nice yumyum :P

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

I tried Founders and felt they were quite nice.

There is actually another stall just after founder's, along balestier.

How about the standard over there?

Personally i like the one opp Jur East Swimming complex, inside the hawker center.

There are two stalls, One facing outside, another somewhere inside the hawker, facing the wet market.

My father used to bring me to the one facing the market.

They serve wat i was told the "hokkien" style, which is the brown soup type. :ph34r:

They were great then, now the old man passed away, i think the sons took over.

I felt the taste is lost already.

Currently perfer the one facing outside.

The "so-call" cantonese style, white peppery taste one. (Correct me if i am wrong) :ph34r:

They served nice "Dirr Kah" too! :thumb:

In fact, i am going over to eat tml morning!

Wahahaha :rolleyes:

How about the Outrum Bak Kut Teh at Tanjong Pagar?

I remember there used to be one nice one near bugis under the blanco court if i am not wrong.

Any clues where they went?

I tried Founders and felt they were quite nice.

There is actually another stall just after founder's, along balestier.

How about the standard over there?

I am not sure if the one on Balestier Road after the Founder's, you mentioned, was the same one I posted, beside the Boon Tong Kee.

Afterall, Bak Kut Teh this kind of dish is very subjective when it comes to who like what type, and there is so many types!

As for the one you mentioned at Bugis, was it in Blanco Court or was it use to be at the block of flat near the entrance to the MRT? That one I know of move to Rochor Centre, the name is Ng Song Bak Kut Teh is i am not wrong. If you look across diagonally from the Macdonalds near Rochor Centre in Bugis Village, you will see a food court coffee shop, that Bak Kut Teh stall is inside.

Edited by Asura

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

was walking to Furniture Mall at beach road the other day, and stumbled upon this coffeeshop that sells Bah Kut Teh. and the crowd there waiting for the food caught my attention. and i stopped on my tracks to have a look. oh..... selling KLANG Bah Kut Teh. and judging by the crowd, some purposely bring whole family there to eat, we decided to just settle our lunch there. and it seem like its being recommended by many newspaper and magazines...

There are actually 2 type of Bah Kut Teh. one is the hokkien Type, which the soup is made of pepper.

another type is, i think, the teochew type. which the soup is herbal.. the store below sells the Herbal version de...

IMAG0010.jpg

made a few orders and the food takes rather long to come.....

IMAG0016.jpg

the side dishes came first..

IMAG0017.jpg

Tau Pok

IMAG0018.jpg

Braised egg. seriously.... it took a lot of courage to eat this egg... it look like its soaked in dunno simi gravy. which looks a bit disgusting.

IMAG0019.jpg

The Salted Vegetable.

IMAG0023.jpg

The Bah Kut Teh arrived at our table still boiling..... when u order, u can actually choose if you wan the Pork Rib type.... or the mixed type...

IMAG0021.jpg

The Pork Rib version. cost $5

IMAG0025.jpg

The mixed version, cost $5, consisting of Liver, Stomach, intestine, pork rib, tau kee.

IMAG0022.jpg

Of cos.... all must go down with White Rice!

and erm.... this really is acquired taste... personally i dun like.

and i din really finish the stuffs. especially hated the Tau Pok.. and do note that EVERYTHING tasted herbal.

haha but i understand that some people actually likes this type of Bah Kut Teh. (based on the crowd, and the fact that the next table is toking about how great the Bah Kut Teh is...)

If you like these type of Herbal Bah Kut Teh, then you might wanna pop by for a visit. its located opposite the hotel in beach road. i think is Park Royal hotel if i am not wrong...

Edited by Stoner79

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

When i taste Bak Kut Teh, I taste the soup.

It's the initial taste, and then the after taste...

I just happen to use Founders' soup as a benchmark - that there are those which taste 'better' or 'less spicy' or whatever to this benchmark.

To me, Founders soup has a very very strong lingering taste after you tasted it.

There is also 'depth' of the soup - hard to describe - but if you know what I meant by saying this soup has 'depth' instead of it being a shallow soup... just pepper and water... that's shallow haha..

imho, not many surpass Founders' in depth, and lingering taste of the soup. i also like their 'chai bueh' - which is more crunchy and sour than the standard DARK and soggy style in most other BKT fare...

The other day, just for the heck of it ordered a BKT and Throtters from the coffeeshop in front of the Eunos MRT station... I was hungry... but in retrospect, it was a shallow soup, not even well made at that - lousy taste - and the trotters, black sauce was like watered down... no taste unless you take it with lots of chilli padi... erm... waste of money... or they just trying to rip people off...

I guess they survive becos idiots like me 'hungry' just order and pay... and there are enough supplies of idiots to keep them in the business.

Damn...

Not really a fan of Bak Kut Teh, but still do know how to appreciate a good one.

Of all the food pictures Stoner79 posted, only that bowl of steamed white rice look delicious. :(

Wonder if its because we are now getting imported chilled/frozen pork, unlike before, we still can get pork from local freshly slaughtered pigs.

• 1 month later...

What about the one diagonally opposite Parco Bugis?

How good is that for you guys?

I know of 1 more in yishun at the small town center just beside lilydale condo...

Dunno whether that's good enough to be here too.

Last time always go sin ming drive for that bak kut teh when i stay there.

After shifting then didnt go again...

Didnt know the standard plunged so drastically... :(

• 6 months later...

I've tried practically all the famous BKT in Singapore and my preference goes to the one at the corner of Upper Circular Rd, directly opposite Central Mall.

The prime rib is just nice and tender and free flow of hot pipping soup.

what i like best is the braised pig leg. I go there so often that all the China stuff knows exactly what I want, the "not too soft" type, tendon type cut.

My daughter love the kidney soup best.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.