Male HQ

How To Cook A Good Porridge

wanting to ask this quite some time:

How to cook a good porridge? Like those cantonese style where you cannot see the rice grains. Do you have to soak overnight?

Say i have a bowl of left over cooked rice, placed in fridge overnight, can I make into that kind of porridge? As when I poured that bowl of rice into a pot of hot water, the end result usually is the rice in hot water :P

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

wanting to ask this quite some time:

How to cook a good porridge? Like those cantonese style where you cannot see the rice grains. Do you have to soak overnight?

Ask a Cantonese lor. :)

1 cup rice for approx 1 medium pot of congee, (less rice if thinner congee preferred).

Wash rice, drained, add 1 tsp salt + 1 tbls cooking oil, soak for 1/2 hour min.

Add water and cook till boiling, slow simmer for 1 hr till grains of rice disappear, stir occasionally.

For taste and some luxury, add 3 or 4 thumb size dried scallops together with its soaking water

(scallops to be pre-soak for 2 hrs in cold water).

This is known as : 明火瑶柱粥

For even better result, cook in a claypot.

This shall be the base porridge for you to add other flavouring ingredients (eg fish slices, meat balls etc)

Say i have a bowl of left over cooked rice, placed in fridge overnight, can I make into that kind of porridge? As when I poured that bowl of rice into a pot of hot water, the end result usually is the rice in hot water :P

The rice after its cooked remains that way, by adding some water and cook again, it'll only turn to teochew porridge where the grains, though soften are still intact.

can i grin the uncook rice grains in a blender till powder form and cook?

Would it turn to cantonese style porridge?

Are you trying to cook instant porridge?

For good porridge there is no short cut; 火候 is very important, it provides the unique texture and flavour.

However, just like comparing instant and freshly brewed coffee, for the unsophisticated, its the same.

And to answer your query - you will end up with a pot of gooey.

you can also add ginko nuts into the porridge described above... I oso use this method to cook porridge...

but i just use the jap rice cooker... one to two cups of rice so treated, and top up the whole pot with water. and press porridge mode...

but i off it before the auto off kicks in... auto off - too dry le...

you can also add ginko nuts into the porridge described above... I oso use this method to cook porridge...

Yes, must use fresh ginko nuts and also add some pre-soaked broken up dau-kee 腐竹。

If possible, add a small glass of unsweeten soya bean milk for a full body flavour and you can eat it alone with just some salt added. :thumb:

You can eat this regularly to detox.

I often cook instant porridge :D ...

Boil water then put porridge inside. When it is cooked, you can add many things you like.

I boil mix vegetables before putting porridge.

When everything is cooked, put 1 egg, some meat (chicken, fish or pork)...

Then after pouring on your bowl, put some chilly power, pepper ...

Buon appetito !!!

Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people

Wash rice, drained, add 1 tsp salt + 1 tbls cooking oil, soak for 1/2 hour min.

just to ask, when soak, no need to add water after drained? Let the rice soaked in the remaining water?

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

• 9 years later...

I'm backreading the articles here and I should actually be busy here and not in the personals forum :-)

Now I understand how to make a real porridge. 

When I got sick in Indonesia, I was really loving the hospital food especially the chicken porridge they gave me. The chicken meat was really pulled into thin strips more like yarns and the rice is so soft , like what oralb mentioned, you don't see the rice grains itself. Even after I was out of the hospital, I searched for a bubur ayam similar to the chicken porridge I got in the hospital , from there I was this stalls customer every week when I was still in Indonesia.

I'm really turned-on if both heads (the head above and the head below) are both functioning well

https://asianguysgonewild.newtumbl.com

https://linktr.ee/riverrobles  

WQPofyr.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.