Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

3 hours ago, Ggzx08 said:

Thanks. How long do you suggest the try out to be? One concern I have is if I were to give other PT a try, then it will be quite awkward to "go back" to previous PT if I decide to. 😰

2 hours ago, Ggzx08 said:

Thanks Credge 😨 need advise what’s the avg/reasonable cost per session incl. gym usuage/membership. Appreciate it! 🙏🏼

tbh, you are making this a little more complicated than it needs to be. Just call a few gyms and ask for their rates and packages for training, or search in the forum here for trainers who are advertising. 

in terms of trying trainers or changing, this is up to you. You can be upfront about this and just say you want to have a trial session to see how the connection is and whether you are a good fit as trainer/client. Trainers are used to this. And you don’t have to tell your previous pt you have tried other trainers if you decide to go back to them. 

Most important is to find a price you are comfortable with, with someone who you can see yourself spending a couple of hours a week with and who can help you with your training goals. 

4 hours ago, Guest Wtf said:

tbh, you are making this a little more complicated than it needs to be. Just call a few gyms and ask for their rates and packages for training, or search in the forum here for trainers who are advertising. 

in terms of trying trainers or changing, this is up to you. You can be upfront about this and just say you want to have a trial session to see how the connection is and whether you are a good fit as trainer/client. Trainers are used to this. And you don’t have to tell your previous pt you have tried other trainers if you decide to go back to them. 

Most important is to find a price you are comfortable with, with someone who you can see yourself spending a couple of hours a week with and who can help you with your training goals. 

Thanks, appreciate the frank advise. Yeah, I think too much sometimes. I have been training for 2 mths now - generally ok. The duration "concern" prompted me to ponder further. 😅

14 hours ago, Ggzx08 said:

Thanks, appreciate the frank advise. Yeah, I think too much sometimes. I have been training for 2 mths now - generally ok. The duration "concern" prompted me to ponder further. 😅

Good luck with continuing your fitness journey! 

Safra is about 60 after gst, pure is about 100 after gst.

45 mins session for both. For safra, several sessions overran , usually ok for the trainer. He was also open to my questions. I think don’t have to go 3 sessions per week.

i started with twice a week, get a range of exercises correct (alignment, motion, recovery) over 3 weeks then I am on my own since then. Less injuries over the past 8 weeks. 

Planning to go back to PT to learn new exercises for the next level in 1 month time.

4 hours ago, Guest Wtf said:

Good luck with continuing your fitness journey! 

Thank you! 🙂

32 minutes ago, zzzzzzzz said:

Safra is about 60 after gst, pure is about 100 after gst.

45 mins session for both. For safra, several sessions overran , usually ok for the trainer. He was also open to my questions. I think don’t have to go 3 sessions per week.

i started with twice a week, get a range of exercises correct (alignment, motion, recovery) over 3 weeks then I am on my own since then. Less injuries over the past 8 weeks. 

Planning to go back to PT to learn new exercises for the next level in 1 month time.

Thanks for sharing! I only began regular gymming last year after CB so still very noob 😰

Guest howtoovercome

recently started walking, not sure why every time I felt jittery when my walking distance reaches between 7km to 8km, feeling light heated and trembling. Hence this force me to stop and I cannot walk further. How to overcome this plateau?

On 6/29/2021 at 2:58 PM, Guest howtoovercome said:

recently started walking, not sure why every time I felt jittery when my walking distance reaches between 7km to 8km, feeling light heated and trembling. Hence this force me to stop and I cannot walk further. How to overcome this plateau?

You probably either need to eat more or drink more, or both. And also try walking when cooler or in the shade. 

On 6/29/2021 at 2:58 PM, Guest howtoovercome said:

Do you have any medical conditions? When was your last medical examination? Do consult your doctor.

Since you just started walking for exercise, I suggest you keep it at a very comfortable pace and distance for the first couple of weeks. Take a break after 4-5 km, have a light snack and make sure you are well-hydrated. If you feel good after the short rest, you may choose to continue on. Listen to your body. After several weeks or even months, your body will adapt and you will be able to walk further without tiring.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 8:51 AM, Ggzx08 said:

Hi everyone, may I know what’s the usual rate for an experienced PT? Is $150 per hr (including use of gym/facilities) considered expensive or “OK”? Thanks!

I think that steady use of PT is a waste of money unless you have much of it.  Perhaps a few sessions with a PT could help to LEARN if you are new to gym workouts,  but in no way should a PT be a steady crutch or motivator.  We can even learn to become proficient at working out without any personal lessons,  but just by reading about and seeing some videos.  It is not so complicated as to learn abdominal surgery.

10 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I think that steady use of PT is a waste of money unless you have much of it.  Perhaps a few sessions with a PT could help to LEARN if you are new to gym workouts,  but in no way should a PT be a steady crutch or motivator.  We can even learn to become proficient at working out without any personal lessons,  but just by reading about and seeing some videos.  It is not so complicated as to learn abdominal surgery.

For some people - me included - having a PT is a great motivator, way to keep on track,  continuously improve and refine technique, work to new goals and to generally enjoy my workouts more. It is money well spent - I have been with my trainer for a year and will keep seeing him on an ongoing basis.

Not sure why you think it should ‘in no way’ be a steady crutch or motivator.

7 hours ago, Guest Wtf said:

For some people - me included - having a PT is a great motivator, way to keep on track,  continuously improve and refine technique, work to new goals and to generally enjoy my workouts more. It is money well spent - I have been with my trainer for a year and will keep seeing him on an ongoing basis.

Not sure why you think it should ‘in no way’ be a steady crutch or motivator.

Why you need a PT to be motivated?  Don't you have enough character to "keep on track" yourself?

Why you need someone else for you to "continuously improve and refine technique"?   Once you learn to do the exercises correctly you can do them for decades, and your improvement is internal, not only on the muscles growing but also on your nervous system learning to best exert force,  something a PT cannot do for you.

But if you enjoy to chit chat and monetarily support a PT,  you have the right to do it.  

Your PT is your coach. A serious athlete does better when he has a good coach to watch over his form and technique, to spot imbalances, discuss different strategies and yes, to motivate him when he hits a plateau etc. Is that a sign of "lack of character"?

Having said that, engaging a PT on long term basis is really costly. I wish it can somehow be made more affordable.

I kinda agree that when one has learnt "enough" (although I guess the definition varies for individuals), PT is not a "necessity" but I'm pretty much noob so I definitely need one for now 😪 I took this opportunity to stop training with my previous PT. Planning to try out callisthenics. 

3 hours ago, Ggzx08 said:

I kinda agree that when one has learnt "enough" (although I guess the definition varies for individuals), PT is not a "necessity" but I'm pretty much noob so I definitely need one for now 😪 I took this opportunity to stop training with my previous PT. Planning to try out callisthenics. 

Thx for sharing👍All the best with Callisthenics. tbh after doing 20 sessions with my PT... that was the max i could take in for learning... Unless u are rich & can afford hiring a PT who can train u while providing u some “eye candy”... if not, try using Apps to replace the necessity for a PT 😃

It really falls back down to what a personal trainer (PT) does and what your training goals are. If you are looking for a rep counter then you are better off on your own. The value of a PT comes in personalisation. This is essentially a challenge to replace. The apps, the online videos can teach you how to do your exercise, but if you have a specific goal in mind, especially of athletic means, then you would be better off sticking to a coach. Further, people with health issues, e.g., hypertension, dyslipidemia, would benefit a lot from PT. Your videos and textbooks ain't going to be there to help recognise any signs and symptoms of impending cardiovascular attacks. Neither they would be around to tailor the training program for you. We are not trying to inflate (or deflate) the value of a PT in any way, but I do feel that to a certain extend, one would benefit a lot if you have a reliable PT on hand. 

Some individuals have talked about motivation. Yes, part of the role of a PT is to motivate an individual. We cannot assume that the motives to training are universal. Everyone here lies on different degree of the spectrum and PTs are there to help tweak the exercises to make sure your capacity is matched to your level of self efficacy. Further, this human-touch also helps us to be sure of what we really want out of training. They act as a guide for the trainees. It might seem strange, but more often, people don't know what they want to achieve from a training program.

Yes, the cost is there. Its akin to paying to a chef. Sure, you can buy your own products and do your own cooking, but the cost of the food lies not just the quality of the raw materials, but also the extensive knowledge and years it takes for the PT to develop to where they are today. You do not pay for the time, you are paying for the experience that they have accumulated. The question then, is not to ask whether if a PT is needed, but perhaps where to get the best out of the buck.

1 hour ago, xydboy said:

It really falls back down to what a personal trainer (PT) does and what your training goals are. If you are looking for a rep counter then you are better off on your own. The value of a PT comes in personalisation. This is essentially a challenge to replace. The apps, the online videos can teach you how to do your exercise, but if you have a specific goal in mind, especially of athletic means, then you would be better off sticking to a coach. Further, people with health issues, e.g., hypertension, dyslipidemia, would benefit a lot from PT. Your videos and textbooks ain't going to be there to help recognise any signs and symptoms of impending cardiovascular attacks. Neither they would be around to tailor the training program for you. We are not trying to inflate (or deflate) the value of a PT in any way, but I do feel that to a certain extend, one would benefit a lot if you have a reliable PT on hand. 

Some individuals have talked about motivation. Yes, part of the role of a PT is to motivate an individual. We cannot assume that the motives to training are universal. Everyone here lies on different degree of the spectrum and PTs are there to help tweak the exercises to make sure your capacity is matched to your level of self efficacy. Further, this human-touch also helps us to be sure of what we really want out of training. They act as a guide for the trainees. It might seem strange, but more often, people don't know what they want to achieve from a training program.

Yes, the cost is there. Its akin to paying to a chef. Sure, you can buy your own products and do your own cooking, but the cost of the food lies not just the quality of the raw materials, but also the extensive knowledge and years it takes for the PT to develop to where they are today. You do not pay for the time, you are paying for the experience that they have accumulated. The question then, is not to ask whether if a PT is needed, but perhaps where to get the best out of the buck.

Finally someone who said it. 

Getting a PT is an investment. You need to decide what's the goal you're looking to achieve and the PT is there to empower you. 

Ultimately you need to be disciplined in sticking to the routines that your PT has curated for you. 

On 7/21/2021 at 7:59 PM, Derren said:

Your PT is your coach. A serious athlete does better when he has a good coach to watch over his form and technique, to spot imbalances, discuss different strategies and yes, to motivate him when he hits a plateau etc. Is that a sign of "lack of character"?

Having said that, engaging a PT on long term basis is really costly. I wish it can somehow be made more affordable.

You are right about a serious athlete.  All the athletes competing now in the Tokyo Olympics have their coach. coaches. But serious athletes, who are professionals or compete in major events as amateurs, don't need to come to BW to learn about muscle building.

Bon vivants do better when they have a chauffeur, a butler, a cook, a gardener, but we can live perfectly well without any of these.  :) 

On 7/26/2021 at 8:04 PM, rowers said:

I've never prioritize much on muscle building but more on exercising to just keep myself physically and mentally healthy....but kudos to those who are so consistent in their effort to maintain muscle mass! :)

This is fine because you must be a young man.  When we get old, it is wise to give much importance to weight lifting to build and preserve muscle mass.  Especially leg muscles.  There is a correlation between longevity and the strength of our quadricep muscles.

3 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

You are right about a serious athlete.  All the athletes competing now in the Tokyo Olympics have their coach. coaches. But serious athletes, who are professionals or compete in major events as amateurs, don't need to come to BW to learn about muscle building.

Bon vivants do better when they have a chauffeur, a butler, a cook, a gardener, but we can live perfectly well without any of these.  :) 

i know you are chuckling to yourself as your write these replies but they’re really not bringing anything to the discussion, are they? You don’t see the need for a trainer, that’s fine and we have all understood that from your numerous replies, so as you are not interested. why don’t you now just let people who are interested in this topic get on with their discussion?

3 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

It's not only Olympians or professional athletes who are "serious". If a person truly wants to do well in something, then I consider him "serious" and I would recommend getting a good coach. It will probably save him a lot of unnecessary waste of time and effort. 

It's all about priority. If your life mission is to have a most beautiful and well-kept garden, I wouldn't call you "lacking in character" for hiring a professional gardener to coach you.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys - 

I was looking at this video below. It seems like this guy has suggested "split training", i.e. chest, shoulders, triceps 1 day, back & biceps 1 day, legs 1 day, 2x a week.

But this sounds like hitting the gym 6 days a week though? O.O 

Will you be my valentine's? :D

On 9/30/2021 at 12:27 PM, sum1outhere_03 said:

Hi guys - 

I was looking at this video below. It seems like this guy has suggested "split training", i.e. chest, shoulders, triceps 1 day, back & biceps 1 day, legs 1 day, 2x a week.

you CAN train like that but you DON’T have to. What are you trying to achieve, where are you starting from, how much time do you have, etc.? 

There is a LOT of advice online on training and lots of it is crap and over complicated. Find one or two sources that you trust and can rely on for the advice you need. And the advice that works is mostly not sexy but simple: consume less calories than you use if you want to lose weight, consume enough protein (especially if you want to build muscle), push yourself in your training.

On 9/30/2021 at 1:20 PM, Guest Wtf said:

you CAN train like that but you DON’T have to. What are you trying to achieve, where are you starting from, how much time do you have, etc.? 

There is a LOT of advice online on training and lots of it is crap and over complicated. Find one or two sources that you trust and can rely on for the advice you need. And the advice that works is mostly not sexy but simple: consume less calories than you use if you want to lose weight, consume enough protein (especially if you want to build muscle), push yourself in your training.

Actually I could understand this guy's intention of training at such level is based on study shown that pumping more sets on the muscle groups (which he suggests, twice a week on the muscle groups he mentions) to simulate muscle growth.

But I reckon most of us, even though WFH at this point, won't able to have such a commitment to do this level of training :D 

Anyway, one of the trainers I knew at one of the boutique gyms (and other gyms as well) suggest to train 3x a week too. I wish I do have more time and less tiring & time consuming job :P 

On 9/30/2021 at 12:27 PM, sum1outhere_03 said:

Hi guys - 

Rationale for this is to adhere to resistance training guidelines of 2-3 times per week. Split routines enable not just multiple days, it can also allow for multiple sessions in a day, if you have the time to do so. If not, a total body workout would do just fine.

On 9/30/2021 at 2:06 PM, sum1outhere_03 said:

Actually I could understand this guy's intention of training at such level is based on study shown that pumping more sets on the muscle groups (which he suggests, twice a week on the muscle groups he mentions) to simulate muscle growth.

But I reckon most of us, even though WFH at this point, won't able to have such a commitment to do this level of training :D 

Anyway, one of the trainers I knew at one of the boutique gyms (and other gyms as well) suggest to train 3x a week too. I wish I do have more time and less tiring & time consuming job :P 

Yes, it really does require a lot of time commitment if your goal is to develop a muscular aesthetic physique. 

But if you are working out for health, then 2x per week total body routine is perfectly fine. Definitely much better than not doing anything. You will look better and feel better.

Edited by Derren

• 1 month later...

Hi brothers, not sure if anyone here is able to help on this (don't know of there is a nutrition topic here as well).

Anyway my question here is - should I drink protein supplements during non- workout/ rest days to keep up the protein intake?

My concern here is that while there is a calculation on how much protein intake is required for bulking, I have attended a nutrition course (online also says so) that any additional proteins taken will be stored as fat (?!) But - that I also have another question: If muscles will continue to build within the next 24-72 hours, how much is really sufficient for protein intake for non-workout days then?

My concern is if I take protein with the 1.5g of protein per 1 pound body weight (during non work out days especially), I might get a belly instead of muscles :X 

Anyone has any insights to this?

On 11/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, sum1outhere_03 said:

Hi brothers, not sure if anyone here is able to help on this (don't know of there is a nutrition topic here as well).

Anyway my question here is - should I drink protein supplements during non- workout/ rest days to keep up the protein intake?

My concern here is that while there is a calculation on how much protein intake is required for bulking, I have attended a nutrition course (online also says so) that any additional proteins taken will be stored as fat (?!) But - that I also have another question: If muscles will continue to build within the next 24-72 hours, how much is really sufficient for protein intake for non-workout days then?

My concern is if I take protein with the 1.5g of protein per 1 pound body weight (during non work out days especially), I might get a belly instead of muscles :X 

Anyone has any insights to this?

0.5-0.8g per pound of body weight is the recommended average amount of protein per day for a person who lifts regularly. (https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-source/files-for-resource-library/protein-intake-for-optimal-muscle-maintenance.pdf) You should be consuming about this amount every day, including rest days. As you rightly pointed out, protein synthesis lasts up to 48 hr, so a steady supply of protein would be required even on rest days.

I think excess calories is what you need to watch out for. In general, it is excess calories that gets stored as fat be it protein or carbs or fats. In fact, a higher percentage of proteins in your diet may help you feel more satiated and thus less likely to overeat. But do consider natural food sources first instead of automatically reaching for protein shakes.

Edited by Derren

On 11/9/2021 at 12:50 PM, Derren said:

0.5-0.8g per pound of body weight is the recommended average amount of protein per day for a person who lifts regularly. (https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-source/files-for-resource-library/protein-intake-for-optimal-muscle-maintenance.pdf) You should be consuming about this amount every day, including rest days. As you rightly pointed out, protein synthesis lasts up to 48 hr, so a steady supply of protein would be required even on rest days.

I think excess calories is what you need to watch out for. In general, it is excess calories that gets stored as fat be it protein or carbs or fats. In fact, a higher percentage of proteins in your diet may help you feel more satiated and thus less likely to overeat. But do consider natural food sources first instead of automatically reaching for protein shakes.

exactly - sustained consumption of excess calories over time are what will cause you to gain weight.

if you are trying to bulk/gain, you need to have an excess of calories and have to accept that you may likely gain some fat while also gaining muscle - you can then cut the fat at the end by reducing calories.

for gaining or losing, protein consumption is important and should be the last thing you reduce. 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

hello. need opinion from experts here, am newbie on training.

my little knowledge is jogging could somewhat lose weight (just need lose a bit nia) to some extent.

1) is it to be done regularly with at least 15-20min jog each time?

2) should jog before routine gym training, or jog after routine gym exercise? or should jog stand alone with no other exercise?

tq

The answers to 1 and 2 are you just need to increase calories burned, consistently and regularly. Doesn’t matter if you do it with gym training or not if you goal is to lose fat. And doesn’t have to specifically be jogging. 

most important point is that diet is more important than exercise. 

6 hours ago, begleitung said:

like chicken breast, fish and nuts?  what else?

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/nutrition-basics/how-can-i-eat-more-nutrient-dense-foods

There's fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc. Don't just look at protein, but also non-protein sources.

• 2 months later...

Need more tips on how to recomp 😕 I've been happy with my bulking gaining around 0.5 - 1kg per month and can see my shoulders etc. getting bigger but my tummy also >< how to stop the weight going to the tummy hahaha. I'm not sure it's possible but one can hope...

10 hours ago, Sirfalas said:

Need more tips on how to recomp 😕 I've been happy with my bulking gaining around 0.5 - 1kg per month and can see my shoulders etc. getting bigger but my tummy also >< how to stop the weight going to the tummy hahaha. I'm not sure it's possible but one can hope...

unfortunatelt it’s not really possible to avoid getting a bit fluffy when you are gaining. Either you try and minimize it by slowing your gains - but you are anyway gaining at a moderate and sensible pace - or you keep going and then cut a bit at the end. Trying to gain and cut at the same time is a recipe for staying where you are. 

• 4 weeks later...

0.5 to 1kg per month growth is quite steady and good . im slower than that 

On 1/25/2023 at 9:05 PM, Sirfalas said:

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, sgtwinkbottom_ said:

My weight has been the same since sec sch. I've tried whey protein but it's not doing much for my bod. 

Any supplements to recommend for gaining weight?

what exercise are you doing, what are you trying to achieve, what’s the rest of your diet like? 

• 2 months later...

Good day all. We are a New Fitness solution brand that focus Fitness Solutions (Eg. Bulking ,Weight loss burn fat) with a holistic approach. One of our unique recommendation is combining TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) approach to help achieve your fitness goal. 

We will like to ask if you could help us to do a simple survey so that we understand the problems/challenges you face. Rest assure we are not selling anything. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9ZEQz-ME8PL_wz-ONOOPHO16C3y8I-Ke2CW5IN3crVVa7JA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.