Male HQ

How To Exercise & Lose Weight / Slim Down & Get Rid Of Love Handle Aka Spare Tyre? (Compiled)

worldangel

I don't know how you do your dumbbell squats, but one effective exercise for the butt is the walking in launches, lunges.  With heavy dumbbells in your hands, do the steps, with alternate knees nearly touching the floor,  for some good distance.  Do it slow, and increase distance over the weeks,  until you can do like 50 m (half a block) without stopping.  Your legs may complain the next day, but you will not complain about the results.  

One thing to note about lunges is the form. Many people frequently "push off" rather than "push up". 

I have tired TR90 from nuskin. It is awesome. Anyone interested can pm me to find out more.

Any other diet is the same, you can lose weight. You don't need some freaking expensive stuff to do the same thing. I can get anyone who watch their diet to give the same results.

Guest TonednotHuge

Agree that too much jumping n plyo not good. But HIIT does not have to be just that or involve long sessions. 20mins/day tops. Examples like street dance moves that work more of the core, lunges, "swimming" on mat, squats, push-ups, piking, mountain climbers.... The great thing is any movement can be incorporated, especially if it mimics your day to day needs.

I don't know how you do your dumbbell squats, but one effective exercise for the butt is the walking in launches, lunges.  With heavy dumbbells in your hands, do the steps, with alternate knees nearly touching the floor,  for some good distance.  Do it slow, and increase distance over the weeks,  until you can do like 50 m (half a block) without stopping.  Your legs may complain the next day, but you will not complain about the results.  

Thanks, will definitely add to my current workout.

One thing to note about lunges is the form. Many people frequently "push off" rather than "push up". 

Any other diet is the same, you can lose weight. You don't need some freaking expensive stuff to do the same thing. I can get anyone who watch their diet to give the same results.

Sorry, I need to clearify on your term "push off" and "push up" are you refering the method of leftting the bent knee that was nearly touching the floor.

Thanks, will definitely add to my current workout.

Sorry, I need to clearify on your term "push off" and "push up" are you refering the method of leftting the bent knee that was nearly touching the floor.

This exercise has two clearly defined parts:

In the first, with one foot in front of the other separated by a large distance, one slowly brings the body down until the knee nearly touches the floor, and then one slowly comes up again.

In the second part, one takes a giant step forwards so the other foot comes ahead by a large distance, and one is ready to repeat the first part having swapped the position of the legs.

The optimum distance is such that when coming down, the forwards upper leg becomes nearly horizontal and the lower leg nearly vertical but with the knee not extending beyond the foot.

The second part can be modified to make the exercise easier, which is after coming up, to take only a half step to bring the two feet together and rest, and then to take the other half step and continue.

Edited by Steve5380

Agree that too much jumping n plyo not good. But HIIT does not have to be just that or involve long sessions. 20mins/day tops. Examples like street dance moves that work more of the core, lunges, "swimming" on mat, squats, push-ups, piking, mountain climbers.... The great thing is any movement can be incorporated, especially if it mimics your day to day needs.

Yes it can. It doesn't have to involve jumping or plyometrics. Hence I mentioned it depends on the type of exercise.

This exercise has two clearly defined parts:

In the first, with one foot in front of the other separated by a large distance, one slowly brings the body down until the knee nearly touches the floor, and then one slowly comes up again.

In the second part, one takes a giant step forwards so the other foot comes ahead by a large distance, and one is ready to repeat the first part having swapped the position of the legs.

The optimum distance is such that when coming down, the forwards upper leg becomes nearly horizontal and the lower leg nearly vertical but with the knee not extending beyond the foot.

The second part can be modified to make the exercise easier, which is after coming up, to take only a half step to bring the two feet together and rest, and then to take the other half step and continue.

Well elaborated steps but I don't think its easy to picture the exercise in words.

Imho, i think it is better to get anyone who have not done any lunges before to start by doing stationary lunges first before progressing into walking lunges than to waking with weights.

I am a strong advocate for forms and techniques, get the foundation right first before moving to the next progression of the exercise. It is ok to progress and regress later if find not suitable (if they hv a friend or PT to spot and correct them) but if they are training on their own, bad forms and bad neuromuscular connections mayhave caused damages to their body, case in point the knees in lunges. I have seen enough ppl in the gym that they forms are really bad but refuses to listen or be corrected.

But great work in showing them the walking lunges video.

A picture is worth a thousand words.  And a video even more.  Here are two videos:

Am here for sincere friends... 

Any body can help me stay motivated and getting advice from you ? Lack motivation in going gym and work out ... Pm me if can help... :) have membership at True Fitness

One way of staying motivated is to find a gym buddy. You can try posting in the Personals section to see if there is anyone going to the same gym with you. With the social element in place, it makes going to the gym less boring.

One way of staying motivated is to find a gym buddy. You can try posting in the Personals section to see if there is anyone going to the same gym with you. With the social element in place, it makes going to the gym less boring.

And with a friend, you can also afford to push harder especially when you can take the worry off with a spotter around

• 2 months later...
Guest Still Fat

I've been busting my guts working out to recapture my abs. So far the upp abs show but the lower abs near the pelvis and the love handles don't seem to disappear?!!

I've not measured body fat percentage but stats are: 1.8m, 76kg, moderate musculature. Tendency towards endomorphic/mesomorphic.

Anyone has 独门秘诀?

I'm barely starting out myself. I'm concerned reducing calorie consumption / burning calories through exercise would end up reducing my muscle mass too.

Is this the reason why we take protein shakes after a workout?

May I very roughly say that dieting/cardio WILL reduce muscle mass BUT protein shakes will stop muscle shrinkage AND even help it grow?

I'm barely starting out myself. I'm concerned reducing calorie consumption / burning calories through exercise would end up reducing my muscle mass too.

May I very roughly say that dieting/cardio WILL reduce muscle mass BUT protein shakes will stop muscle shrinkage AND even help it grow?

someone is working hard for the army boy?remember guys?hahahaha

Yes reducing calorie consumption /  burning calories would reduce muscle mass (fat free mass) AND fat mass UNLESS you replenish your glycogen or protein stores through feeding. Muscle growth and fat loss is just not 1+1 = 2 or 2-1 = 1, its not that simple. Dieting and cardio will not reduce muscle mass, its the underlying principle of energy expenditure/ energy loss/ energy gain that results in what you see in your body. Dieting and cardio will result in net loss of both fat free mass and fat mass because they all burns calories. Even resistance training burns calories! All exercises burns calories! One possible reason why people said cardio "reduce muscle mass" its because of the nature of the activity. Look at the long distance runners, they are all skinny, not because of running, but because of the nature of the activity that causes them to be in that shape. Predominantly type 1 muscle fibre are found based on the nature of their activity, and type 1 fibres are smaller in size. Look at the sprinters, they are runners too, but why are they bigger in size, its because they are type 2 muscle fibre in nature. And type 2 muscle fibres are larger in size. And with regards to reduction in muscle mass, no its not reduction, in fact studies have shown, even through running, the types of muscle fibres that are made are increasing, just not the ones that gives you the "bulk". 

The interaction between muscle growth and protein consumption is termed the synergistic effect of resistance exercise and feeding, whereby resistance training will result in some form of growth, but the provision of protein sources will help to push that growth beyond just simply additive effect observed. Stop thinking that protein shakes are miracles, if you take them and don't train heavy, you won't see any dramatic increase in muscle mass. Lots of people have this misconception and its bad. Protein supplementation are taken for recovery and to aid in changing the net protein balance in the body to be more positive after a bout of physical activity.

In short, must have enough SEX:

S = sleep

E = eat

X = exercise

YES!  It is a vicious circle.  (few vices are better than this one)

More sleep, eating, exercise strengthens the appetite for SEX.

More SEX shows the convenience of having plenty of sleep, eating, exercise

to become more attractive and find more and better SEX.

I admit that I'm shallow and I exercise, bulk up to get more sex. Worse, as a bottom there's so much competition for tops.

It's so fucking obvious that muscles attract most gays.

I have no pity on those mousey, out-of-shape guys wasting time looking for sex. Exercise, beef up and have all the sex you want, where you want, how you want. In fact sex is so readily and easy to get, I sometimes get bored and try kinkier sex.

Ever been to the sex cinema in Bangkok? Yeah, I went there just to see what happens if I make myself available. I don't even have to do anything, just stood there like a dummy. They circled and prowled around, accidental brush here, touch there. When I simply kept on watching the screen, they thought I'm not interested.

But there's always one who horny enough to try his luck even if I'm totally out of his league. That lucky bastard tried his luck from the back to avoid direct confrontation. From touching the waist, he slid down to the ass and yet no smacking of his hand from me. Tentatively he cupped my butts. Now he's sure he got something. This type of kinky most gays heard about.

Aroused and sure, he went straight for the belt buckle and down my trousers in no time. As he went for my underwear, out of my underwear dropped a couple of condoms in shiny wrapping anybody can see in the dark. You could hear the loud murmur of the crowd.

Immediately he put on one and forced my hands to braced on the back of the seat, he rammed it in when he found that I had already pre-lubed. These men prowling the cinemas are themselves kinky and looking for nasty sex. I'm the type made for that. For maximum enjoyment, he proceeded to pull of my tee. As the crowd gathered, he grabbed around to my front and cupped my ample pecs.

By occupying my 3 erotic zones, he safety claimed me as his property. The others only dared to touch tentatively while he pumped me loud and hard as flesh clashed with flesh. We only breathed heavily but it sounded like 2 wild animals in heat.

Sometimes he'll pull me up to show my full nakedness to everybody. He'll grab my hair and wiggle his tongue on my cheek to make me gasp for all to see. Then he'll force me down and gave me a few huhhaah grunting smashes that shook my whole body so that my hands were chair rattling as I jerked forwards.

The whole point is that it's my body that made it all happen. There were a few guys who stand around like me, nothing happened. I did the same thing and got stripped naked in no time.

If you want more fun than you can even handle, do the time, huff and grunt. It's not mission impossible, use the time wasted standing around waiting for sex and sex will come to you instead.

• 1 month later...
Guest alexiuswong

Hello, 

Is there can someone help to advise how to do you lose weight with slip disc and flat foot? Been trying for a few months but ain't working. Can someone advise me? Thank you in advance!

Hello, 

Is there can someone help to advise how to do you lose weight with slip disc and flat foot? Been trying for a few months but ain't working. Can someone advise me? Thank you in advance!

Get clearance from your doctor or physiotherapist first before you start the exercise. Check if there are any contraindications or movements that you are not suppose to do before you get a trainer to help you. 

How effective is Tabata burpee workout for 4 min a day?

I find it's rather incredible that one can lose weight just to do tabata rather than spending longer time jogging

Yes it is effective. But you really have to put in lots of effort during that short bout of activity. When i mean lots of effort, it means supra maximal where you feel like dying kind of effort.

• 2 months later...

Why Diet Matters More than Exercise For Weight Loss, In One Video

If you want to lose weight, diet and exercise are both important. However, that doesn’t mean they’re equally important. This video explains why changing your diet has a bigger effect on your weight loss than exercise.

As we’ve discussed at length before, most of the calories you burn in a given day are spent just keeping you alive. While you can burn calories through exercise, you don’t burn that much. The video above explains that running for 20 minutes only burns around 200 calories or so. Whereas an average 20 oz. bottle of Coke contains 260 calories. If you could choose to get rid of 200 calories by working out for a half hour, or drinking water with dinner, which do you think would be easier?

The video goes on to explain that exercise is by no means bad. There are plenty of other health benefits to exercise that have nothing to do with weight loss. However, if your goal is to lose weight, quantifying how much you’re eating in a given day will be a better first step than hitting 

5 hours ago, azimuth said:

If you want to lose weight, diet and exercise are both important. However, that doesn’t mean they’re equally important. This video explains why changing your diet has a bigger effect on your weight loss than exercise.

As we’ve discussed at length before, most of the calories you burn in a given day are spent just keeping you alive. While you can burn calories through exercise, you don’t burn that much. The video above explains that running for 20 minutes only burns around 200 calories or so. Whereas an average 20 oz. bottle of Coke contains 260 calories. If you could choose to get rid of 200 calories by working out for a half hour, or drinking water with dinner, which do you think would be easier?

The video goes on to explain that exercise is by no means bad. There are plenty of other health benefits to exercise that have nothing to do with weight loss. However, if your goal is to lose weight, quantifying how much you’re eating in a given day will be a better first step than hitting 

When I was looking at this, it made me recall this study: http://www.clinicalnutritionjournal.com/article/S0261-5614(16)00045-5/abstract Exercise was taken out of the equation and yet no significant weight loss was shown. Food for thought?

On 2/8/2016 at 9:23 PM, azimuth said:

Of course diet can contribute much more than exercise to weight loss.  There are not enough hours in the day to exercise as long as it would take to equate its effect to drastically reducing the quantity and improving the quality of the food eaten.

But one should not equate eating a chocolate bar worth "200 calories" to an aerobic exercise equivalent to other different "200 calories".  These two numbers are too idealized to represent truthfully what happens in the body,  and the exercise has surely more benefits than "burning up" the calories from the chocolate bar, which is a ridiculous equivalence.

Maybe the big lesson from this is that  WE CANNOT MAKE UP EATING LIKE A PIG WITH EXERCISING LIKE A GYM RAT.  Weight loss must start with more moderate and smart nutrition, and exercise helps a little while it is good for other reasons.

Edited by Steve5380

I think i am one of the example that diet matters more in losing weight than exercise. I normally exercise a few mins everyday in the weekdays at home. After some time i decided to Sat join a running group to run 5km every Sat and Sunday i go join a dragon boating team. After many months i dont see any results from my weight so it means spending several more hours a week to exercise dont make much difference to my weight. I am a working adult and i cant spend any more extra time to exercise any more. I change my diet into eating low fat food like those leafy vegetables, carrots, mushrooms etc. In the morning i only drink a meal replacement shake without eating any other stuff. Lunch i eat as normal but make sure i dont feel very full, once i feel a bit full i must remind myself to throw away food so that i wont be overeating. In dinner i eat only vegetables and never eat any high carb food like rice, noodles and bread. I also make sure i dont eat junk food including cakes, cup cakes, cookies etc. In 3 months time i drop 7kg and finally reach the average BMI that i want. Now that i reach average BMI i just occasionally eat small bites of junk food so that i wont feel so miserable. I am a vegetarian and i have the will power to control what i eat.

5 hours ago, yoyo74 said:

I think i am one of the example that diet matters more in losing weight than exercise. I normally exercise a few mins everyday in the weekdays at home. After some time i decided to Sat join a running group to run 5km every Sat and Sunday i go join a dragon boating team. After many months i dont see any results from my weight so it means spending several more hours a week to exercise dont make much difference to my weight. I am a working adult and i cant spend any more extra time to exercise any more. I change my diet into eating low fat food like those leafy vegetables, carrots, mushrooms etc. In the morning i only drink a meal replacement shake without eating any other stuff. Lunch i eat as normal but make sure i dont feel very full, once i feel a bit full i must remind myself to throw away food so that i wont be overeating. In dinner i eat only vegetables and never eat any high carb food like rice, noodles and bread. I also make sure i dont eat junk food including cakes, cup cakes, cookies etc. In 3 months time i drop 7kg and finally reach the average BMI that i want. Now that i reach average BMI i just occasionally eat small bites of junk food so that i wont feel so miserable. I am a vegetarian and i have the will power to control what i eat.

If you can't get enough calories, then naturally your body will lose weight. However if you keep your diet constant and you workout more, then there would be a possibility that you will get similar results. End of the day still, its not how much you lose, but can you keep what you have lost. If you can, then good, if not, then something isn't right.

3 hours ago, xydboy said:

If you can't get enough calories, then naturally your body will lose weight. However if you keep your diet constant and you workout more, then there would be a possibility that you will get similar results. End of the day still, its not how much you lose, but can you keep what you have lost. If you can, then good, if not, then something isn't right.

I have been losing fats and i dont want to keep it lol. The only thing i want to keep is my muscle mass. Every night i have drink either half a litre of soya milk or milk or yogurt and also eat nuts occasionally to keep protein incoming to prevent lost of muscle mass. Hope my strategy works.

3 hours ago, Guest said:

Don't eat pineapple tarts!!!!!

I love pineapple tarts, last time i can eat half a jar in a day but now dieting so i eat maybe 1 or 2 per day so my jar of pineapples will take ages to finish

3 hours ago, yoyo74 said:

I have been losing fats and i dont want to keep it lol. The only thing i want to keep is my muscle mass. Every night i have drink either half a litre of soya milk or milk or yogurt and also eat nuts occasionally to keep protein incoming to prevent lost of muscle mass. Hope my strategy works.

What i meant was with reference to keeping the weight loss. In other words, you can lose 7kg, but how much of the 7kg will return in time to come? That is the ultimate question..We refer this to as weight rebound.

52 minutes ago, xydboy said:

What i meant was with reference to keeping the weight loss. In other words, you can lose 7kg, but how much of the 7kg will return in time to come? That is the ultimate question..We refer this to as weight rebound.

I read some articles that weight rebound is because of the particular person cant stand the diet any more and in the end give up and start eating lots of trash food again and become fat again. I believe my determination to preserve is great and unwaver and should be capable of maintaining this diet. I was told that i should increase back a little weight. Maybe i will purposely put back 1 or 2 kg and keep fine tuning while looking at my weighting machine every few days. I will also be monitoring my fat % monthly and hopefully if i gonna put back weight i want it to be muscle mass instead of fats.

21 hours ago, yoyo74 said:

I read some articles that weight rebound is because of the particular person cant stand the diet any more and in the end give up and start eating lots of trash food again and become fat again. I believe my determination to preserve is great and unwaver and should be capable of maintaining this diet. I was told that i should increase back a little weight. Maybe i will purposely put back 1 or 2 kg and keep fine tuning while looking at my weighting machine every few days. I will also be monitoring my fat % monthly and hopefully if i gonna put back weight i want it to be muscle mass instead of fats.

That depends if you have been working out regularly and increasing the intensity/volume accordingly through time. Well, the body will reflect your determination in time to come =) I'm sure it will be positive.

Hey guys, I've been on this weight-loss regimen since September last year and I've managed to lose about 15kg. 

With regards to exercise, I do a 15min run, 30min incline treadmill, and some strength routines (30mins).

Dietary wise, I stocked up on tofu, tuna, loads of protein (not necessarily lean, but I steered clear of pork and consumed mainly chicken and fish). Despite my weight loss, my fat percentage has dropped about 5-6%, but not as much as I'd like it to be. I'm also trying to lose the muscle and bulk up at the same time, and in lieu of the Chinese New Year I've gotten a bit of a belly (and put on about 2kg). My fat percentage is hardly proportional to my weight loss and most of my fat is still concentrated in the belly region. 

Are there any exercises or diets that you guys would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

I think to lose 5-6% fat in just 5-6 months is good and healthy. Anything more might not be suitable. My question is how u know that the weight loss is due to fats? And what was your starting body fat%? I think just exercise and stick to a caloric deficit diet will surely allow you to achieve your goal.

On 2/9/2016 at 7:41 AM, yoyo74 said:

I also read your previous post.  You have been doing GREAT!

You must be well motivated after losing the weight to keep your present diet, and there is little chance you regain any of it.

Being stable, you may not even have to weight yourself often. 

If you do some exercising with heavy weights and you gain muscle, this is an icing on the cake. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.