Male HQ

Hair Thinning / Hair Loss Problems / Hair Treatment & Hair Products Discussion (Compiled)

Guest Help

Guest Crowning Glory

I was experiencing balding a few years back.

Decided to try out a promotion at this tricology chain YN and later kena psycho-ed into paying for a 24 session treatment course with promise for good results. The initial sessions had to be done two times a week for about two months, followed by one session each week for subsequent sessions until all sessions are completed.

Each session typically last about 2hrs mainly because the tricologist are time-shared as in all busy saloons. Herbs are applied on your scalp and usually you walk out of the treatment with strong herb smellig scalp.

To be honest, I never see any improvement to my hair loss problem. In fact, I complained that it seemed to have gotten worst. But the response to this is that it is normal and the baby hair will start growing again and stronger. But it didn't happen for me.

So after a while, I stopped. I didn't enjoy the treatment sessions at all as it is a real commitment to make time for the sessions and I don't see results at all.

Ironically, one or two months after I stopped, my hair started to grow back a little. Actually, what was lost was gained back. But net gain is still lesser than when I had thick crowning glory.

Then I decided to visit a doctor after I keep seeing advertisement about Askyourdoctor about hair loss. The doctor prescribed me with propecia and minoxidil 5%. Propecia is an oral medicine while minoxidil is applied on the scalp every night. The minoxidil is advised by doctor for enhanced effectiveness, although he did say that propecia should be sufficient.

Was told that propecia will affect limbido but it definitely did not happen to me. I am still has horny and sexed up as ever! Ha ha... side tracked :P

After about 6 months of the medication, I started seeing lots of improvement to my hair loss problem. In fact, I started growing new hair. I am still improvement to my scalp and am definitely looking forward to a crowning glory one day. I am currently about 90% recovered after about one year plus on this medication mode.

One thing to note about minoxidil is that you should always only apply it on dry hair and scalp. So make sure you dry your hair after shampoo before applying on affected areas.

So good luck!!

Ha ha.... sort of a field report about my hair loss and recovery experience.

regaine can be bought from pharmacy counters. But it is better if you see a doctor first just to be sure that you are treated for the right thing. My father and grandfather are both bald, and I have been losing hair gradually over the years, so I am pretty clear that mine is of a hereditary nature.

The tricky part is i have high blood, but the doctor says it is ok as I am not very serious.

Jealousy is when you realise the things you don't have.

Envy is when you realise the things you'd never have.

-Nip/Tuck

People who are reading this thread, before one starts to buy any hairgrowth product, one must

- determine the causes first

- different products are for different causes,

- consult a dermatologist to see what works for your type of hairloss.

Dont buy a product because it works for someone as it may not work for you at all

z

Some guys look very sexy when bald, but like goatees, not everyone can carry it ;)

example of sexy balds:

Yul Brynner Yes, Charles Heston No.

Chris Draughty Yes, Elton John No.

Chow Yuen Fatt Yes, Andy Lau No.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.

Guest Crowning Glory
People who are reading this thread, before one starts to buy any hairgrowth product, one must

- determine the causes first

- different products are for different causes,

- consult a dermatologist to see what works for your type of hairloss.

Dont buy a product because it works for someone as it may not work for you at all

Totally agree. You should always consult your family doctor first before taking any medication.

I did and it worked for me. May not work for you unless you find out the root cause of your hair loss.

Hope this clarifies. No intention to mislead anyone here :oops:

Guest Crowning Glory

Incidentally, if you need more information, here's a website that offers quite good advice. It even point you to clinics that can offer consultation.

HeadStart www.seeyourdoctor.com.sg (you can probably see the banner ad with this topic)

Guest Hairaiser

I personally do not encourage to visit hair growth centre because I hv worked in one very popular plant before....., to me it is all gimmicks....., trying to sell their exquisite products (where you can buy no where) with treatments package that will cost you a bomb with no significant results...., and keep selling and selling to convince you that after another course you will see results....., and normally one course (5 to 10 times depend on what kind of treatment) cost around $2,500 to $4,000 excluding products.., the last resort for your baldness they will recommend you their hair weaving services..., even worst (better buy a car with your skinned head)...., so you see they don't need a many customers to fill their place to maintenance their business.....,

The product that I hv posted earlier maybe you guys can check it out, me and my family using it (shampoo + tonic) now for preventing hair falls, find it works well....., it's not expensive......, I wonder local pharmacies carry this product but my friend bought them from BKK for my family....

Prevention is better than cure....., manage your scalp well no matter in whatever condition...., u will never regret your hard work.....

I personally do not encourage to visit hair growth centre because I hv worked in one very popular plant before....., to me it is all gimmicks....., trying to sell their exquisite products (where you can buy no where) with treatments package that will cost you a bomb with no significant results...., and keep selling and selling to convince you that after another course you will see results....., and normally one course (5 to 10 times depend on what kind of treatment) cost around $2,500 to $4,000 excluding products.., the last resort for your baldness they will recommend you their hair weaving services..., even worst (better buy a car with your skinned head)...., so you see they don't need a many customers to fill their place to maintenance their business.....,

The product that I hv posted earlier maybe you guys can check it out, me and my family using it (shampoo + tonic) now for preventing hair falls, find it works well....., it's not expensive......, I wonder local pharmacies carry this product but my friend bought them from BKK for my family....

Prevention is better than cure....., manage your scalp well no matter in whatever condition...., u will never regret your hard work.....

Hairaiser,

What you have done is hearsay product. If you are confident of your product, please provide the details of your claim for us to verify its scientific evidence. Otherwise, it just sounds like some kind of herbal things which have failed many gullible users.

z

Guest Hairaiser

Reflection,

What you hv said maybe right, no comments as I am a simple person not as knowledgeable as yourself.

I am not promoting this product or either selling it for good, just wanted to recommend another alternative as not all products is suitable for everyone but I personally and my family found that it works very well but if anyone think that so-called "hearsay" stuffs is not effective in treatment I hv got no say...., sigh! Life is stressful (one reason for hairfalls) why we need to dig so many proven statistics...., if anyone are desperate for help in any constances I am sure even that one will try the worst remedies offered.

I apologize if I hv done anything wrong to share my experience in any circumstances, please ignore the product that I hv recommended...., I don't like the feel after reading your posting......,

I hv read a lot of your postings and you are someone beside other BW members that I admired, your coolness, knowledge, understanding.....etc..., it enhances my writing capability coz I left school after Pri 6 (not educated) but try to improve by doing more readings, watching movies.....etc.., and browsing through this forum help me very much indeed.....,

Wish you could keep your cool...., continue to help others

......ok,

Cheers!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Reflection,

What you hv said maybe right, no comments as I am a simple person not as knowledgeable as yourself.

I am not promoting this product or either selling it for good, just wanted to recommend another alternative as not all products is suitable for everyone but I personally and my family found that it works very well but if anyone think that so-called "hearsay" stuffs? is not effective in treatment I hv got no say...., sigh! Life is stressful (one reason for hairfalls) why we need to dig so many proven statistics...., if anyone are desperate for help in any constances I am sure even that one will try the worst remedies offered.

I apologize if I hv done anything wrong to share my experience in any circumstances, please ignore the product that I hv recommended...., I don't like the feel after reading your posting......,? ? ??

I hv read a lot of your postings and you are someone beside other BW members that I admired, your coolness, knowledge, understanding.....etc..., it enhances my writing capability coz I left school after Pri 6 (not educated) but try to improve by doing more readings, watching movies.....etc.., and browsing through this forum help me very much indeed.....,

Wish you could keep your cool...., continue to help others? ??

......ok,

Cheers!!!!? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? :thumb: ? :thumb: ? :thumb:

Dear Hairaiser,

I am sorry if I make you feel bad. My concern is for people to try something that has been proven rather than other products either through hearsay or commercial advertisements, which to my knowledge, have disappointed many people after spending thousands of dollars.

No, there is nothing wrong to share a product which works for you and your family. In a forum like this, members can throw ideas but all of us will either agree or disagree from our own personal experiences or scientific proof. I think the important thing is to have an open mind when someone suggests something constructive. I have also learnt this way all these years.

You are not entirely wrong because we cannot doubt your claim since the product works for you and family. I would have tried desperately if the scientific method fails me.

Hope is hope, no matter how scientific or unscientific. In my opinion, it is better to try something that has been proven (with concrete evidences) before we decide to try other alternative therapies.

Dont feel bad about your primary education because I dont despise people with low education nor am I a elitist. My parents and ex-bf are worse than you, barely fininishing primary education. As long as one is willing to learn, there is no limit to increasing knowledge. In fact, I applaud you for your positive attitude to continue to learn.

It is good to be simple but not gullible. Knowledge can be acquired but it is the application of knowledge which makes a person wise or not.

Thanks for you comments and now you make me feel bad about my 'blunt' approach. I would also like to thank you for saying that I have enhanced your writing capabilities as I am very surprised that someone like you has actually been reading me as a role model. Oops, I better start behaving myself. :oops:

z

Guest hairaiser

My dear Reflection,

Thanks! I m so touched....., hope you can further provide more informations those needy, I can feel hw worried they are....., hope in the near future there are better remedies for them.

So sweet n nice of you..., I could start my day afresh with the warmth of your countless efforts to others...., it's always in you....,

Keep it up...., you are juz another angel. :P :whistle:

Awww. Who cares about hair when goodwill is "hair" to stay.

A few causes of hair loss as experienced by males. Stress. Oily scalps. Harsh washing regimes. genetic aka male pattern hair loss. Etc.

For the first three causes, remedies are common sense-ly easy. Male pattern hair loss is a lot trickier. When it's been established to be so, local dermatologists normally would recommend Propecia and/or Minoxidil. As said in an earlier post, should one stop using the prescribed medicines/shampoos, the hair loss will return. And one of the side effect for Propecia is loss of libido, because Propecia was originally the medicine to cure prostate enlargement. For the nymphos amongst us, this is good (old) news.

google areanpull

And one of the side effect for Propecia is loss of libido, because Propecia was originally the medicine to cure prostate enlargement. For the nymphos amongst us, this is good (old) news.

Massagee,

The loss of libido only affects 2% or less and it is reversible when you stop the medicine. So, it is fat hope for those nymphomaniacs :lol:

Clinical studies showed that side effects were uncommon and did not affect most men :

A small number of men had sexual side effects, with each occurring in less than 2% of men. These include less desire for sex, difficulty in achieving an erection, and a decrease in the amount of semen. These side effects went away in men who stopped taking PROPECIA because of them. In addition, these side effects decreased to 0.3% of men or less by the fifth year of treatment.

z

My dear Reflection,

Thanks! I m so touched....., hope you can further provide more informations those needy, I can feel hw worried they are....., hope in the near future there are better remedies for them.

So sweet n nice of you..., I could start my day afresh with the warmth of your countless efforts to others...., it's always in you....,

Keep it up...., you are juz another angel.          :P   :whistle:

OMG, I am feeling electric currents flowing when you called me "My Dear Reflection"

The last time someone addressed me as Dear was 4 yrs ago.

You feel so touched or do you want a real touch and I have not touched another person for years :D

z

My dear Reflection,

Keep it up...., you are juz another angel.          :P   :whistle:

OMG, I am feeling electric currents flowing when you called me "My Dear Reflection"

The last time someone addressed me as Dear was 4 yrs ago.

You feel so touched or do you want a real touch and I have not touched another person for years :D

may i know where you want to touch?

:P:P:P

Anyway, next week from 30 Aug to 2 Sept there will be IT Fair at Suntec.

258yvky.jpg

Guest Hairaiser

Dear Reflection,

I rather you use your healing touch to maximize hair growth for the baldies....,heeheehee (sori if it offend I m juz kidding, u taught me not be so serious mah....)

I m glad hv resurfaced that humorous and flirtatious side of yourself in this thread again (since a long time back).... heehee....

Touched or be touched is not physical now as you hv enlightened so many helpless souls with your most graceful postings....

My Dear Angel...., :P:P:P

• 11 months later...
Guest guest007
anybody know the price of Propecia for one month dosage

I have no idea of the price, but from what my hairdresser( or barber) told me, you can get it from your own family doctor.

Guest beneficiary

It is about $100 per box that will last you for a month. You can get it from your family doctor since it is a prescribed drug. I also understand that you can get it over the counter in Bangkok and is much cheaper.

I personally benefited from this. Definitely a proper and sure cure to the balding problem than wasting money with places like YN, BJ and etc.

Guest -nudist-

I've been using generic proprecia Fincar for about 7 years now, I must say it's been working very well for me. It totally stopped my hair loss. Hair started growing back at the temples, in the begining I could see the regrowth in the mirror but it was excruciatingly slow. Now the bald spots are covered. The other day a relative I hadn't met for a year remarked that my hair has grown back and I have a lot of hair now... wah that really made me happy.

Downside is that my sex drive has gone down.... I can go for 1-2 weeks without sex. Don't know if it's also due to my age (I'm 39). Oh well at least I save money from not going to the sauna often haha

Anyway I've been ordering them from http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/hair-loss/fincar.html

They're very reliable. I always order 90 tablets, split each tablet into 4 and have a supply of 360 doses - enough for a year.

Guest 50 going on 60

Thanks for you input.

I'd like to start on this drug too and would like to know what happens after the hair has grown back and I stop taking it, will the hair fall off again?

is it something that's got to be taken for life?

:huh:

Well the drug is to be taken consistently for the rest of your life if u wanna keep your hair. However as rightly pointed out, it will have the side effect of lowering your sex drive. Some even say, your erection will suffer.

The best pill to me is still the pill called ACCEPTANCE pill. Accept your baldness, it will safe u alot of money and effort to keep your crowning glory. If u hv noticed, ppl with a full head of hair shaved their hair off. You have a natural bald head.. arent u glad !!!

Live A Life, Live it Well. Be Forgiving, All will be Well.

Guest slimchest

I took too long to start on this drug. If i started earlier, i think the effect will be better. The drug in SG is prescribed and cost abt $90+ a month. Try not to buy from China as I have encountered samples being sold and seems the effect is not there even it is displayed as Propecia by Merck. Bangkok is more reliable which you can get abt $60 a box on average. There is bulk discount from pharmacy like Boots but only 5%. It started off quite good, I do see results but I tried to skip some days or during weekends, and the result is not ideal. So try to eat it everyday. As for side effects, may be sex drive is lower but I do not feel any worse actually. Shaved head is only fine if you have a good head shape, otherwise it is not nice. I try to cut my hair short enuf so at least it is more even throughout. Go for scalp treatment to cleanse the oily scalp if u can. It is important to keep the scalp clean. Yes, use Minoxidal 5% hair spray together for better results but it is drying to the hair, so u hv to condition ur hair to maintain moisture. Regaine is also cheaper in Bangkok. Also, use clear liquid hair shampoo for deep cleansing.

Guest -August-

Propecia costs RM153.90 in JB.

Does it work? It varies from person to person. If yours is a case where it only arrests hair loss without recovering what’s already lost, then it’s best you begin early. It takes anywhere from one to three months to see results. It must be taken everyday as long as you want to keep your hair. (You do not “eat” it as stated in the above post). It does really affect sex drive but expect a drastic decrease in cum volume.

Castration guarantees no hair-loss if you can accept that.

Guest -nudist-

It is good at STOPPING hair loss, so you should start as early as possible to preserve whatever hair you still have. Only a low percentage of men will experience regrowth, in my case i was lucky to be one of them but the regrowth was veeeeerryyyyy slow. For a while I had to keep a short haircut to balance my hair out otherwise it looked odd with long normal hair and short regrowth at the temples. But now the regrowth is quite long so I'm happy.

Yes you have to take it for the rest of your life but really it's not that dramatic. I've been taking vitamin pills every morning my whole life and will continue to do so the rest of my life, what difference does one extra small pill make? Whereas I would find applying Minoxidal every morning a real hassle that's why I don't bother with it.

How it affects the sex life depends on the individual. I have lower sex drive but it's no big deal at all, I just need to come less. I'm in no way impotent and I have a fulfilling sex life with my bf. No difference in cum volume here.

If you're experiencing hair loss I would strongly recommend you start the treatment asap. You've got nothing to lose! It takes about 6 monts for the effect to kick in.

• 1 month later...
Guest -gc0805-

plse plse do not try these salons. the only guarantee they can possibly give is that the treatments will NOT work. see a doctor who may prescribe u a tablet called propecia. this works.

It seems that people are still trying different treatments, some of which are not scientifically proven. We can suggest this or that but do we really know the cause of the hairloss.

If people dont read the website provided by me, then I would like to take the trouble to educate the forum people here.

What are the different kinds of hair loss ?

Androgenetic Alopecia -this is the commonest cause of hair loss in both men and women. It is commonly known as male pattern baldness. It is caused by a combination of 3 factors - testoterone (the male hormone), age (after 20 years of age) and hereditary. It usually affects women later in life than men.

Alopecia Areata - this usually results in a patchy loss of hair. The exact cause is unknown.

Telogen Effluvium - diffuse loss of hair which may occur 2 to 4 months following childbirth or from high fever, acute illness, physical and emotional stress and crash dieting.

Chronic Illness - eg. iron and other dietary deficiencies. Thyroid diseases, syphilis and connective tissue disease are examples which may cause hair loss.

Scalp Diseases - fungal and bacterial infection, and other local scalp diseases.

Excessive traction on the hair - for example tight curling and hair styles (corn-braiding, pony-tails).

Drug Induced - anti-cancer drugs and anticoagulants are some of the drugs which may cause hair loss

For males, the common problem is andrgenetic alopecia or male pattern baldness. The best drug for male pattern baldness so far is Finasteride (Propecia) which one has to take on a long-term basis. And for guys who are sexually active here, you may be at high risk of syphilis which can also cause hairloss. You need to do a blood test to find out.

Please seek reliable therapists rather than trying here and there and eventually they have to seek medical advices after wasting so much money on those saloons or unreliable practices.

Edited by reflection

z

any guys have hair loss treatment before ? am having hair loss problems and would like to seek treatment. wonder which saloon is good.

Any guys have tried using hair spray PHYTO ?

Pls share your lobang. Tks.

I do have hair loss experience too. I have oily scalp, even without applying any hair oil or hair gel.

Initially experiencing scalp itchiness and tried PHYTO hair shampoo and conditioner and even the spray.

It is a temporary relief BUT that does not help with hair loss.

I did seek consultation treatment at Bejing 101, I think is a waste of time and money...it wont help unless u want hair transplant.

I shared my problem with my General Practitioner, and was encouraged to seek treatment at NSC.

I had made online registration recently for medical appointment with National Skin Centre to have a detail check on my scalp.

I will be visiting the doctor next week....maybe could share after my consultation.

Consultation fee is S$60.40 for first appointment (exclude treatment and medication)

Edited by Itaewan

Propecia would cost you around a hundred every month. And its effect is very, very slow.

But it does work. Because after taking it for around two months, I barely see any hair when I clean my pillows. I presume even if it doesn't encourages growth, at least it stops the falling.

Propecia would cost you around a hundred every month. And its effect is very, very slow.

But it does work. Because after taking it for around two months, I barely see any hair when I clean my pillows. I presume even if it doesn't encourages growth, at least it stops the falling.

Try buying overseas... it's cheaper that way. The degree of success varies from person to person. If you think you cannot recover what is already lost but can prevent further loss or deterioration, you should start without delay. (There are cases of full recovery for the lucky ones).

plse plse do not try these salons. the only guarantee they can possibly give is that the treatments will NOT work. see a doctor who may prescribe u a tablet called propecia. this works.

Why such strong words?

I tried and at the very least it worked for me. Why such comments like "the only guarantee they can possibly give is that the treatments will NOT work"?

I only recomended a treatment that cost $25, not a course of treatment that cost over $1,000.

Jason can try it for a few times and see if it works for him.

If not, just stop.

There is no hope for male-pattern balding, period. Just need to come to terms with it and bare it all. :rolleyes:

Let me qualify what you say.....If MPB is detected early, further hairloss can be prevented with Finasteride (Propecia)......Of course, if you wait and try all unreliable products, it will be too late by the time your crown shines with glory. Hence, there is hope for MPB if it is detected and treated early :D

Edited by reflection

z

• G_M changed the title to Hair Thinning / Hair Loss Problems / Hair Treatment & Hair Products Discussion (Compiled)
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • Guest locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.