Male HQ

Valrhona Chocolates

Just wondering if anyone here uses Valrhona chocolates for baking. Where do you usually buy them from? Thanks.

I use it mainly for brownies, sacher, souffle and ganache.

You can buy it from Sun Lik, a shop on Seah Street beside the Raffles Hotel.

Buy those dark ones with higher cocoa %, its more expensive but taste better. :thumb:

I use it mainly for brownies, sacher, souffle and ganache.

You can buy it from Sun Lik, a shop on Seah Street beside the Raffles Hotel.

Buy those dark ones with higher cocoa %, its more expensive but taste better. :thumb:

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah went to Sun Lik and they have good range of fine chocolates. I bought Valrhona 70%chocolate and made brownies with it. Some say its too intense so might try using 63% instead. I just bought Valrhona cocoa powder since most of the recipes called for dutch processed cocoa powder. I heard that Valrhona being sold over at TOTT too. Gonna check it out. Need to source for good price :)

I bought Valrhona 70%chocolate and made brownies with it. Some say its too intense so might try using 63% instead. I just bought Valrhona cocoa powder since most of the recipes called for dutch processed cocoa powder. I heard that Valrhona being sold over at TOTT too. Gonna check it out. Need to source for good price :)

I use the same for my brownies too.

Those who think the flavour is too intense are usually people not used to it, those only familar with the likes of Van Houten and Cadbury milk chocolates.

If TOTT is selling, I guess it will not be cheap either or at least not cheaper than Sun Lik.

To get it cheaper perhaps need to buy in bulk or larger 1kg packets.

I use the same for my brownies too.

Those who think the flavour is too intense are usually people not used to it, those only familar with the likes of Van Houten and Cadbury milk chocolates.

If TOTT is selling, I guess it will not be cheap either or at least not cheaper than Sun Lik.

To get it cheaper perhaps need to buy in bulk or larger 1kg packets.

Yeah i agree with ur analysis on chocolate taste. I bought 1 kg Valrhona cocoa powder for $33.50. I think most places are selling about that price. I used to buy Green and Black dutch cocoa powder but its ex...about 5.90 for 4.4oz. Phoon Huat has their own range of chocolates but I don't think they carry the same brands as Sun Lik. Will try using different percentages and see what works. Will be heading to TOTT tonight to check on their range of Valrhona chocolates. :)

Erm ... if you guys still in getting Valrhona cocoa powder , wanna share ? I can get from supplier but min is 3*1kg pack , it is cfm alot cheaper then Sun lik ... in fact SL things is VERY expensive but your only place to get high end stuff in loose pkt. I think b-i-y ( even though their things is more exp ) it is still cheaper then SL , not sure if they still carry though , btw what is TOTT ?

Valrhona has the best white chocolate - Ivory , for dark chocolate , i usually use 64% Manjari ( slight acidic , best to go with fruit mousse ) i think more acceptable for ppl who not into dark chocolate. 55% equitorial also more to milk taste. 66% caribe also more entry n acceptable to most ppl.

To bake & make people happy ... But am i happy baking ? hmmmm I just have to , cos if not people will not like what I baked ! P/s : We can exchange pointers BUT please don't just private me just to ask for recipes ! Thanks

Erm ... if you guys still in getting Valrhona cocoa powder , wanna share ? I can get from supplier but min is 3*1kg pack , it is cfm alot cheaper then Sun lik ... in fact SL things is VERY expensive but your only place to get high end stuff in loose pkt. I think b-i-y ( even though their things is more exp ) it is still cheaper then SL , not sure if they still carry though , btw what is TOTT ?

Valrhona has the best white chocolate - Ivory , for dark chocolate , i usually use 64% Manjari ( slight acidic , best to go with fruit mousse ) i think more acceptable for ppl who not into dark chocolate. 55% equitorial also more to milk taste. 66% caribe also more entry n acceptable to most ppl.

TOTT stands for "Top Of The Trade", is the name of a very large upmarket shop in Dunearn Road selling a wide range of designer baking tool, cookware, etc., also has studios for cooking classes.

Are there any big difference using powder cocoa or block couverture for baking?

For me, I usually use couverture, powder only use for sponge making and dusting

TOTT stands for "Top Of The Trade", is the name of a very large upmarket shop in Dunearn Road selling a wide range of designer baking tool, cookware, etc., also has studios for cooking classes.

Are there any big difference using powder cocoa or block couverture for baking?

For me, I usually use couverture, powder only use for sponge making and dusting

TOTT I believe is owned by Sia Huat and there is a gourmet shop called Toque located within TOTT that sells Valrhona chocolates and other foodstuff.

The reason I use Valrhona cocoa powder is because it is dutch processed and certain cake recipes call for that. Basically what they do is to add base to the cocoa powder to remove the acid and as a result the cocoa powder appears reddish. I use couverture too mainly for making ganache.

Well I just bought my 1 kg Valrhona cocoa powder and would probably last me quite a while. I made a batch of dark chocolate cookies last night using it as well as dark chocolate (63% cocoa) from Phoon Huat and its great! :)

So far I only used Valrhona 70% Guanaja for brownies and turned on to be rather intense. Some ppl (mostly my women friends) like it. I will try using the 66% Caraibe next :) Went to B-I-Y shop and they do carry Valrhona chocolates.

oh the new shop by Sia huat at bukit timah that side , heard abt it but neber had a chance to go n LLCC.

hmm ok , cos thot can get ppl to share the cocoa pwd LOL but phoon huat one also not too bad , just usually will try to use better products when doing for own.

Anyway if keen , can share n buy together next time, for the chocolate is 2kg pkt , think no min , cocoa pwd is 3*1kg pkt. I buy from supplier so it's cheaper , not going to earn $$ but rather just wanna hit the min so I can get for myself :) Eg for the price u paying for ur 1kg , u can get 1.5kg ( if i am not wrg )

Nowadays am trying callebut cos it's cheaper then valrhona. but dun have contact with the supplier :P

To bake & make people happy ... But am i happy baking ? hmmmm I just have to , cos if not people will not like what I baked ! P/s : We can exchange pointers BUT please don't just private me just to ask for recipes ! Thanks

So far I only used Valrhona 70% Guanaja for brownies and turned on to be rather intense. Some ppl (mostly my women friends) like it. I will try using the 66% Caraibe next :) Went to B-I-Y shop and they do carry Valrhona chocolates.

For your next batch of brownies, try mto add some liqueur for that extra kick.

For me, either I add some Kahlua into the batter before baking or just dribble a few drops of dark rum onto the brownies before serving. :thumb:

Yummy!

Guest cakelover

i think i know which supplier baking_kola is talking about. if i'm not wrong they sell 3 kg for about 60bucks. they are the main distributor for valrhona choc in singapore.

Have not used valrhona chocs myself. only used their cocoa and its really darn good. sun lik's cocoa powder increased price recently. it used to be 6.50 for 200g. now its $8.50 for 200g.

I've used carrefour's dark chocs and phoon huat's choc and they turned out good enough for brownies. Like to under-bake my brownies a little so that they are fudgy. liqeur works well for brownies, truffles and ganache. kahlua, rum and bailey's are great choices for any choc confections.

anyone tried unsweetened (100%) choc for baking? it works well for brownies. as far as i know, only baker's unsweetened and hershey's unsweetened are available in sg

cock brand: there is some difference between using cocoa powder and choc blocks/ buttons. cocoa powder does not contain any sugar and other additives. choc blocks/buttons contain cocoa butter, sugar and vanilla/vanillin etc. the composition and taste are different. I believe they give different characteristics to the cakes/cookies and properties like sweetness and acidity are affected. I also noticed that cocoa powder is dissolved in hot water most of the time to give maximum flavour as suggested by some baker authors. In these cases, the recipes tend towards moist cakes due to the amount of hot liquid used. (i'm not a pro. just sharing what i observed. )

i think i know which supplier baking_kola is talking about. if i'm not wrong they sell 3 kg for about 60bucks. they are the main distributor for valrhona choc in singapore.

Have not used valrhona chocs myself. only used their cocoa and its really darn good. sun lik's cocoa powder increased price recently. it used to be 6.50 for 200g. now its $8.50 for 200g.

I've used carrefour's dark chocs and phoon huat's choc and they turned out good enough for brownies. Like to under-bake my brownies a little so that they are fudgy. liqeur works well for brownies, truffles and ganache. kahlua, rum and bailey's are great choices for any choc confections.

anyone tried unsweetened (100%) choc for baking? it works well for brownies. as far as i know, only baker's unsweetened and hershey's unsweetened are available in sg

cock brand: there is some difference between using cocoa powder and choc blocks/ buttons. cocoa powder does not contain any sugar and other additives. choc blocks/buttons contain cocoa butter, sugar and vanilla/vanillin etc. the composition and taste are different. I believe they give different characteristics to the cakes/cookies and properties like sweetness and acidity are affected. I also noticed that cocoa powder is dissolved in hot water most of the time to give maximum flavour as suggested by some baker authors. In these cases, the recipes tend towards moist cakes due to the amount of hot liquid used. (i'm not a pro. just sharing what i observed. )

3kg for $60...wow thats cheap. Is that for their cocoa powder? I bought mine at d-i-y.com for $33.5 at 1kg. I used to use Green and Black organic dutch cocoa powder but its ex so Valrhona is a cheaper option for me now and just as good.

I started baking brownie using unsweetened chocolate (Baker's brand) and Valrhona cocoa powder with valrhona's 70% chocolate...pure decadence! Oh Valrhona has 100% unsweetened chocolate and its selling at TOTT. Might try that and see how it compares to Bakers. I will be doing a blind taste test using different types of chocolates from Valrhona and see what works best in terms of mass appeal. I think chocolates containing about 60% cocoa mass is about right for brownies. I use about the same percentage when I make ganache...but will be experimenting with higher percentage cocoa mass soon. The tricky thing about using higher cocoa mass for ganache is that you have to increase the amount of heavy cream too.

Yes I do dissolve my cocoa powder in boiling hot water before adding to the batter when I make chocolate cake. It releases other aromatics in the cocoa powder and definitely taste much better. But I think the moistness might have to do with either you are using oil or butter in the batter. When using oil in batter the cake stays moist alot longer. Right now i am using the latest cakebook by Rose. Its really good and I highly recommend it!

Guest cakelover

3kg for abt 60 dollars - I'm referring to valrhona choc blocks. Where do u get G&B cocoa powder? I have not had the chance to come across it. Will be interested to try it out.

Didn't know that they have valrhona 100% at TOTT. must be quite exp. agree that 60% is good for brownies. In fact it 60% is friendly/good for most choc cakes/bakes too.

From observation and experience, moisture for cakes come from any form of liquid. most of the time they are water, yoghurt, sour cream, buttermilk, milk, cream, oil, melted butter, fruit juices/purees etc. so when cocoa is dissolved in hot water, I believe it contributes to the moistness. Yup, agree that oil keeps cakes moist longer. This is especially so for chiffon cakes.

You're referring to Heavenly Cakes? I have the book. Tried 2 recipes in fact. Darn Good. I have The Cake Bible as well by Rose. She is one of the best authors around.

3kg for abt 60 dollars - I'm referring to valrhona choc blocks. Where do u get G&B cocoa powder? I have not had the chance to come across it. Will be interested to try it out.

Didn't know that they have valrhona 100% at TOTT. must be quite exp. agree that 60% is good for brownies. In fact it 60% is friendly/good for most choc cakes/bakes too.

From observation and experience, moisture for cakes come from any form of liquid. most of the time they are water, yoghurt, sour cream, buttermilk, milk, cream, oil, melted butter, fruit juices/purees etc. so when cocoa is dissolved in hot water, I believe it contributes to the moistness. Yup, agree that oil keeps cakes moist longer. This is especially so for chiffon cakes.

You're referring to Heavenly Cakes? I have the book. Tried 2 recipes in fact. Darn Good. I have The Cake Bible as well by Rose. She is one of the best authors around.

Thats still a very price for $60 especially when its Valrhona. I used to buy my G&B dutch organic cocoa powder from either Cold Storage or Marketplace. But lately I have trouble finding them and only place is the Cold storage branch at Vivocity. Thats why I decided to switch to valrhona cocoa powder since its also dutch processed and it works out cheaper compared to G&B.

Yes isnt that book amazing...so detailed i luv it. Tried several recipes and they all turn out very well. I do not have the Cake Bible but will be ordering it soon from amazon.com since the US dollar is weakening now hehe. I am also using couple of chocolate books by Marcel Desaulniers and its equally good too although he is not as detailed as Rose.

• 4 months later...
Guest LACH

Visit lachwaffles@blogspot.com.

I've done a 4 day advanced chocolatier course in Tokyo by Valrhona on Bon Bons. U can visit my blog for some pictures.

Guest cakelover

The Valrhona Chocolates sold at Jason's mart at Orchard Ion are for more for consumption and are packaged exquisitely. The price is very steep if used for baking.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tatsie

Guest Tatsie

Hi guys, I've been reading your posts on valrhona chocolates.. I have heard a lot about them but have not tried them for baking yet. I dun mind sharing to get the chocolate. Anyways where us the cheapest place to buy the valrhona chocolate powder?

I have a qn: how should one store couverture here in sunny sg? Not sure if I need to fridge it; will it survive in room temperature in sg?

I store all my chocolates (covertures as well as cocoa powder) in ziplog bags placed in a dark place in the kitchen cabinet. I used to store in fridge but over time i found white spots appearing on my chocolates, esp covertures. Its called "blooming" but it doesnt really affect the taste of chocolates. The white spots will disappear once you melt the chocolates when you make ganache. Also take note of expire dates on chocolates. I think they usually last for about a year or less.

Guest cakelover

I do it almost the same as windanseaguy. My chocolates are all stored in freezer bags and placed in airtight containers in cabinets (cool and dry place).

For unfinished chocolate bars, it is best to wrap the remaining with aluminium foil. It is not wise to store chocolates in the fridge if you intend to use them for baking, since the condensation might interfere with melting and cause the chocolates to seize. Melted chocolate seize (becomes grainy) when it comes into contact with moisture.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chocolaver

oh the new shop by Sia huat at bukit timah that side , heard abt it but neber had a chance to go n LLCC.

hmm ok , cos thot can get ppl to share the cocoa pwd LOL but phoon huat one also not too bad , just usually will try to use better products when doing for own.

Anyway if keen , can share n buy together next time, for the chocolate is 2kg pkt , think no min , cocoa pwd is 3*1kg pkt. I buy from supplier so it's cheaper , not going to earn $$ but rather just wanna hit the min so I can get for myself :) Eg for the price u paying for ur 1kg , u can get 1.5kg ( if i am not wrg )

Nowadays am trying callebut cos it's cheaper then valrhona. but dun have contact with the supplier :P

Hi, baking_kola and everyone here, just politely posting I hope this doesnt offend anyone.

I know where to get valrhona but would like to know where do you get callebaut?

I would love to share and buy together some chocolates if you are still in or if anyone needs a someone to split... :) its nice to meet like minded ppl

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I have just started baking. 1 of the ingredients in my cake recipie requires dark chocolate. May i know what is the percentage of coco content shld i buy?shld i use unsweenten dark chococlate or semi-sweet 1? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sean Baker

Just checking this website and am pleasantly surprised to see so many baking fans. I am a pastry chef myself and love to create new recipes and host events. Most of my friends who enjoyed desserts are mainly straights so I am happy that there are gay men out there who still believe in having his cake and eat it too. Haha

• 1 month later...

Hi, baking_kola and everyone here, just politely posting I hope this doesnt offend anyone.

I know where to get valrhona but would like to know where do you get callebaut?

I would love to share and buy together some chocolates if you are still in or if anyone needs a someone to split... smile.gif its nice to meet like minded ppl

What is to be offended ? ha ha i do use callebaut too , it is less strong then valrhona , as in if both same % i feel callebaut is a bit less strong , maybe due to the origin of the cocoa bean.

As mention by cakelover u can try sunlik , supplier is Win sin i think but i got no contact on that one. hope it helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

I really love Valrhona chocolates - I often use it when baking my grandmother's infamous (at least in our family it is) triple chocolate cream cake with nuts and a hint of caramel. I absolutely love it though it took me years to work the recipe with enough heart to make it almost as delicious as my grandmother does. I mostly order Valrhona from a chocolate delivery service because around my neighborhood you do not get it very easy and so I think it is best to simply order it instead of walking around for hours not finding anything in the end.

Hello!

Terribly sorry for bumping such an old thread :oops: ^_^ but I would love to know the supplier for Valrhona chocolate in Singapore as I wish to place a bulk order soon. Please do email me the contact details at diarywritter@hotmail.com if possible. Thank you!

Hello!

Terribly sorry for bumping such an old thread :oops: but I would love to know the supplier for Valrhona chocolate in Singapore as I wish to place a bulk order soon. Please do email me the contact details at diarywritter@hotmail.com if possible. Thank you! ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi baking kola, I am looking for Valrhona chocolate for my brownie, not sure if you are by any chance replenishing your stock. Pls contact me at lilchang@hotmail.com

• 1 month later...
Guest Sue Ng

Hi is anyone buying the valrhona cocoa powder and chocolate to share? If there is please email me at shebibug@gmail.com coz I would like to share the bulk purchase too. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hi

I will be buying valhorna cocoa powder, manjari 64% and equatoriale noir 55% at a lower price compare to retail stores in sg.

Please let me know if you would like to order, email me at janetliew82[at]yahoo.com

• 5 months later...

I have used 70% Valhorna chocolate for molten lava cake, and it works great.  Bought mine from TOTT at $60 or 80/kg, can't quite remember.

Anyone have a good recipe that is on par or better than Awfully chocolate for chocolate fudge cake?  Please share.

• 1 month later...

After trying out different type of cocoa, I must said Valrhona is my favourite.  Like its dark brown colour, aroma and bitterness.  Chocolate cake turned out great as compare to other brands of cocoa.

Have tried using Callebaut for ganache, it tastes good too.

• 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.