Male HQ

Singtel's Generation Mio

lazyone

Guest IkuTube

hi lazyone,

err, i am trying to understand your 'not so sure' part and get myself confused in return. :D

anyway, this is just my take:

- if you are already a subscriber and on contract with singtel mobile and singnet, you will benefit signing up MIO and enjoy cost savings. however, do read the T&C for existing customers. with the savings, you may want to enjoy IPTV later on.

- MIO is rather rigid to me as i need to sign up for all the services together and it will tie me down for 30 months. and once i am contracted with MIO, i would definitely lose out for broadband promos/freebies and probably for mobile too.

- in comparison, i can sign up contracts for individual component [voice + internet + mobile] with SH. should i take up all the 3 services from SH, there are classes of discounts for each component [almost a similar MIO scheme] plus cable tv.

- do know that to go full MIO and enjoy all the facilities, you need to upgrade/purchase certain things.

hope we both can learn more about this as, hopefully, members start contributing their ideas.

btw, did u finally get a notebook?

regards.

Thks Ikutube for your thoughts, as I thot no one wld contribute their thots after Gachi advised to refer to prev newspapers, which I dont hv as I just arrived back in Sg today.

I believe SH asks for min 18 months of contract if I recall correctly, so your comment re 30 mths contract with MIO & poss encumbrances is quite relevant. Will hope to learn more .. may call ST to find out but as usual, don't know what to ask!

I still hv not bought the laptop as I hv been holidaying :) and nowadays I bring only my thumbdrive whenever I need to do presentations instead of carrying a notebook, so been dragging my feet re getting a new notebook. :o

Guest artemov

I was reading through the literature and got very confused also.

It seems that the whole MIO thing is based on a wireless system.

Even the mobile line is some kind of wireless VOIP, and can only be used at home or at a hotspot (wireless@sg). That's why a WiFi phone is required. Can it be used outside a wireless network? Not too sure.

Same for the fixed line, which also required the MIO box, hence is most probably VOIP.

Can anyone confirm or contribute if know more?

Guest IkuTube

You are right to say that "It seems that the whole MIO thing is based on a wireless system". The whole integration is on VoIP concept.

As for the fixed line, subscribers can choose to either plug into the mio device or to stay with the analog phone socket. Essentially, when we are using VoIP, the voice is carried as digital data over the internet, so the modem is necessary. Doing so, MIO voice customers will be able to make unlimited local calls [at a fixed monthly subcription fee].

Here is where additional cost will be incurred - If we keep the analog line, we cannot use the same number for both VoIP and the analog and we need to pay for the 2 services.

Guest artemov

Hi Ikutube,

Thanks for your reply.

What about the mobile line? How does it work?

Thanks.

The whole MIO think doesn't seems to be a good deal.

Too many fine and complicated details that will trap the technology-averse.

Guest IkuTube

Hi Artemov,

I think it is not necessary to change your mobile to wifi enabled unless you want to make VoIP calls via wireless. You can still keep the normal SIM calls - hmm, and again there is the monthly subscription fee.

Here probably answers your question on how mobile works with MIO.

Regards :)

Guest IkuTube
Gosh. Then it is definitely not a good deal.

I am sure that you are aware too that to be able to support VoIP, your handphone must have Wifi - and most hp are yet to support it for now.

How beneficial the deal is will depend on whether you are already on Singtel/Singnet now :)

Guest artemov

Yup, I am aware of the hp requirement.

Don't think it is a good deal, especially MIO mobile.

Unless wireless@sg encompasses every corner of Sg, MIO mobile will be next to useless, and it certainly does not replace a true SIM plan. Or am I wrong?

The broadband and fixed line portion seem ok though. But I am not too sure of the quality of VoIP as compared to a fixed land line.

I wonder how many unknowing people has sign up already?

Guest artemov

I was reading through the literature again and it seems that if you subscribe to an iPlan (from S$68/month onwards), rather than just MIO mobile alone (S$15/month), a GSM based mobile plan is included. The 100 minutes free outgoing calls gave me the hints. But I can't be sure.

If it's true, then a MIO iPlan could be worthwhile.

But the 3 months free VAS for the fixed line still sucks though.

Guest IkuTube
hi ikutube, glad to see u around.

say if i wanna get this mio thingy, does it mean i need to have a "live" analogue land line to hook up the ADSL modem in order to enjoy this VOIP thingy? i don't have a singtel landline at the moment.

(sidetrack: err, I am assuming that you are only using a mobile phone and not relying on any residential line?)

To qualify for MIO components, you need a land line [singtel] to connect to the 2wire 2700hgv modem.

Guest artemov

Having browse through the singtel website, I think I can more or less summarize what is this MIO thingy.

So here goes.

It seems that there are three individual offerings from MIO:

MIO Plan, MIO Voice and MIO Mobile.

MIO Plan encompasses three services from $68/month onwards:

Singtel Mobile (not to be confused with MIO Mobile): This is your traditional GSM mobile plan.

MIO Voice: For VoIP using home phone. This service can also be subscribed individually (see below).

Singnet Broadband: The usual broadband service from Singtel.

MIO Voice:

If subscribed individually, it cost $15.75/month. Plus you will have to pay $84 for the MIO box.

If subscribed as part of MIO Plan, the MIO box is free.

MIO Mobile:

$15/month. Allows you to use your mobile phone to make free VoIP calls at a wireless hotspot. Need not get a MIO box, but hp must be wifi enabled. Note that MIO Plan doesn't come with MIO Mobile. You will have to pay $15 extra per month if you want this with your MIO Plan.

Hope I am clear and correct.

Guest artemov

Hi Ikutube,

Sorry, but I am quite new to routers and wireless network. How do you actually connect this 2wire modem?

I suppose it is connected to the phone socket. Do I have to connect my computer to it? Or is it done wirelessly?

Cheers.

Guest IkuTube
Hi Ikutube,

Sorry, but I am quite new to routers and wireless network. How do you actually connect this 2wire modem?

I suppose it is connected to the phone socket. Do I have to connect my computer to it? Or is it done wirelessly?

Cheers.

I understand that the MIO box they are offering has 4 ports. It's an ADSL modem/router - hence the setup would be:

Phone Socket ---> MIO Box ----> PC [either wired connection or wireless]

To add to your earlier postings [and thank you for summarizing the plans]:

1. For MIO Voice

- For unlimited calls, your phone must be connected to the MIO Box, and the box has to be powered on. One disadvantage is, if there is a power outage/blackout, no house phone can be used.

2. For MIO Plan - Mobile

- Unlimited talktime and your handphone is wifi enabled. You have option to upgrade your mobile phone every 12 months. I think there is a waiver of $100 somewhere to your existing 2 years contract.

hi ikutube, glad to see u around.

say if i wanna get this mio thingy, does it mean i need to have a "live" analogue land line to hook up the ADSL modem in order to enjoy this VOIP thingy? i don't have a singtel landline at the moment.

(sidetrack: err, I am assuming that you are only using a mobile phone and not relying on any residential line?)

To qualify for MIO components, you need a land line [singtel] to connect to the 2wire 2700hgv modem.

Hi Ikutube, thanks for your reply.

Currently I do not have any land line with Singtel.

With this Generation Mio, it seems like I can have a land line using VOIP.

Does it mean that I just have to acquire the mio box and connect it to my Singtel white box (even though it is inactive and not subscribed to) and I'm all set to go with VOIP and singnet broadband?

The day I started this thread, 11 Jan, I indicated on SingTel's website that I wld like them to contact me re MIO. They called me just this afternoon - 23 Jan. Have to give them credit for calling even after such a long lapse for a sales call. :unsure: I am so so glad I had already made up my mind after reading the instant responses on BW :thumb: , and had since signed up with StarHub on 16 Jan.

Guest IkuTube
Currently I do not have any land line with Singtel.

With this Generation Mio, it seems like I can have a land line using VOIP.

Does it mean that I just have to acquire the mio box and connect it to my Singtel white box (even though it is inactive and not subscribed to) and I'm all set to go with VOIP and singnet broadband?

Hi exec_fetish,

As far as I know, for you to have unlimited calling for residential phone via MIO, the phone must be connected to the MIO Box. Therefore, you still need to subscribe for the land line - do check it if they waive the fees for you though.

• 2 months later...

Hi homeboi,

I agree with mightymouse.

Anyway, you might want to refer to the past discussion on MIO Here

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.