Male HQ

Advice On Male Skin Care - Acne Product / Body Lotion / Moisturizer / Face Wash (Compiled)

For the vain guy among us. Some beauty tips from wikihow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Get Rid of Black Circles Under Your Eyes

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Black-Ci...Under-Your-Eyes

Puffiness or skin discoloration under the eyes affects just about everybody at some time or another. For some of us, however, these “bags” or “dark circles” are a near-constant bother. While these conditions are occasionally symptomatic of other illnesses, the usual cause is allergies, tiredness, or, unfortunately, heredity. No matter what the cause, you can still reduce the appearance of puffiness or dark circles, and in some cases, you may be able to get rid of them altogether.

Steps

1. Establish whether or not this condition runs in the family. Dark circles in particular are believed to frequently be hereditary. This doesn’t mean that you can’t do anything about the conditions, but you should be prepared for minimal success actually trying to get rid of them.

2. Identify allergens. Allergies may be the most common cause of skin discoloration and puffiness under the eyes. If allergies are the root of your problem, you simply need to treat them or remove the allergen (i.e., the thing to which you are allergic). Seasonal allergy problems such as hay fever can frequently be effectively treated with over-the-counter and prescription medications. For other allergies the best course of action is usually avoidance. If your dark circles or puffiness are constant, you may have an undetected food allergy or an allergy to a chemical in your home or workplace. Talk to a dermatologist for help determining what you may be allergic to.

3. Get plenty of sleep nightly. It’s not entirely clear why inadequate sleep results in dark circles under the eyes, but we’ve all seen it happen either to ourselves or someone we know. For one thing, lack of sleep tends to cause the skin to become paler (thus increasing the appearance of darkness under the eyes), and it reduces circulation. It’s also believed that too little time lying down is a cause in itself. Determine how much sleep you need (it’s usually 7-9 hours per night) and try to get that amount regularly for a couple of weeks to see if that helps. Remember that alcohol and drugs can adversely affect the quality of your sleep; abstain from these products or use only in moderation for best results.

4. Treat your skin while you sleep. There are overnight facial masques available that may help reduce the appearance of puffiness or discoloration, but you can also make your own. Just before you go to bed, take a washcloth and wet it just a bit with cold water. Then squeeze out any excess water and place it over your eyes as you sleep.

5. Apply cool tea bags or cucumber slices to your eyes daily. The tannin in tea bags has been shown to reduce swelling and discoloration, and cucumber slices have long been used to reduce puffiness and refresh the appearance of skin around the eyes. Lie down, preferably in the morning, and leave fresh cucumber slices or cool, damp caffeinated tea bags (you can refrigerate them overnight so they’ll be ready) over your eyes for about 10-15 minutes. Keep your eyes closed.

6. Wash your face with cool to somewhat cold water in the morning or when puffiness occurs. The cold water will cause blood vessels to constrict, and thus reduces swelling.

7. Try to relax the space. You can do this by wetting a Q-tip and then freezing for a little while. Then you should gently wipe under your eyes in the areas where the circles are occurring. When wiping, close your eyes and try not to flinch.

8. Apply an eye cream containing vitamin K and retinol. Dark circles may be caused by a deficiency of vitamin K. Regardless of the cause, however, recent research has shown that skin creams containing these two ingredients reduce puffiness and discoloration significantly in many patients. Long-term daily use seems to have the greatest effect.

9. Avoid rubbing your eyes. Usually rubbing of the eyes is brought on by allergies, but not always. Regardless of the reason, stop doing it. The rubbing irritates the skin and can break tiny capillaries beneath the skin, causing both puffiness and discoloration.

10. Eat a healthy, balanced diet and drink plenty of water. A whole host of cosmetic problems can be attributed to vitamin deficiencies. Dark circles and puffiness are often attributed to lack of vitamin K or inadequate antioxidants. Be sure to get plenty of fruits and vegetables—especially cabbage, spinach, and other leafy green vegetables—and take a daily vitamin supplement if necessary. Get adequate fluids to improve circulation.

11. Reduce salt intake. Excess salt causes the body to retain water in unusual places, and this can result in puffiness under the eyes. Too much salt can also impair your circulation, and cause the blood vessels under the skin to appear bluer.

12. Quit smoking. Smoking causes vascular (blood vessel) problems that can not only threaten your life, but also make your blood vessels appear more prominent and bluer beneath the skin.

13. Cover the problem up with cosmetics. If all else fails use a flesh-toned color which will camouflage the problem.

Tips

* Food allergies/sensitivities play a major part in under-eye circles. Processed foods with artificial colors and preservatives as well as milk allergies can cause this problem.

* The Internet abounds with home remedies. While the most common are cucumbers and tea bags, there are a number of others. Feel free to test them out, as some may work for some people, but use common sense.

Warnings

* Be careful about what type of teabag you use. If you have allergies a tea bag like chamomile might swell your eyes.

* Do not apply ice or extremely cold water directly to the skin around the eyes for more than a couple of seconds.

* Exercise caution when using a new cosmetic product or trying a home remedy. If the condition worsens, or if you exhibit other symptoms, discontinue use immediately and contact your primary care physician or dermatologist for severe or persisting symptoms.

How to Prevent Wrinkles

http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Wrinkles

As we age, our skin loses moisture and elasticity making it prone to wrinkles. Dermatologists have many tools for tackling those little lines that mark the passage of time. They include prescription creams, chemical peels, and injections of the toxin Botox, which paralyses facial muscles temporarily so you can't wrinkle your skin when you frown, for example, or with other facial expressions. But perhaps the best option is to protect your skin just as it is, and to do what you can to keep it healthy.

Steps

1. Lotions and creams

Use a lotion or cream that contains alpha-hydroxy acids, or AHAs. AHAs come from milk, fruit and sugar cane, and act by clearing away dead cells on the surface of your skin. These products encourage collagen growth, which fills in wrinkles. They also couneract free radicals - rogue oxygen molecules in your body that can damage your skin. Since AHAs can sometimes cause irritation, try rubbing a little of the product on a small patch of skin first. If the patch doesn't turn red by the next day, the moisturizer is safe for you to use.!

2. Soak a clean flannel in milk and apply it to your skin. Milk contains alpha-hydroxy acids.

3. Apply fresh aloe vera gel, which contains malic acid.

* Cut off a leaf at the base.

* Slit it open.

* Scrape out the gel with a spoon, taking good care not to rupture the green rind, and apply.

4. Applying papayas will lessening the appearance of wrinkles because they contain enzymes that can etch away the top layer of your skin.

* Wash and peel a papaya.

* Thoroughly mix 2 tablespoons of the pulp with 1 tablespoon of dry oatmeal to help exfoliate your skin.

* Apply it to your skin and leave it on for 10 minutes.

* Scrub off the mixture with a flannel.

5. Apply a moisturizer every morning after washing to help retain moisture and make your skin feel softer. Look for the moisturizers that also contain sunscreens to protect your skin from ultra-violet rays. Don't forget to apply moisturizer to your neck and hands as well as your face.

6. Try an avocado facial. This supplies moisture plus vitamin E, an antioxidant.

* Puree the pulp.

* Smooth it on your face.

* Leave it on for 20 minutes.

7. Eat fish such as salmon, sardines, fresh tuna and mackerel several times a week. These are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are very nourishing to your skin.

Tips

* Don't smoke.

* Drink enough water to make your urine very pale. This really does help to keep your skin moist.

* On sunny days, apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen to your face, neck and other areas of exposed skin before you go out-doors, and head for the shade in midday sun.

* Never use a tanning salon. Half-an-hour on a sunbed dose more harm than lying on the beach all day without sunscreen.

* Wear sunglasses to avoid "crow's feet" - wrinkles that come from screwing up your eyes. Even existing crow's feet can fade after several month of consistently wearing sunglasses.

* Pile your plate with plenty of fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. These provide vitamins A,C and E - antioxidants that block harmful free radicals before they can cause skin damage.

* Exercise for 20 - 30 minutes most days of the week. You've probably noticed that exercise can make your skin flush - a sure sign that oxygen and nourishment in your blood are reaching the capillaries in your skin

Warnings

* Pulling funny faces will not treat wrinkles, smiles, grimaces and other facial contortions only contribute to further wrinkling.

* Make sure you sleep on your back. Sleeping on your side or stomach creates wrinkles, because you bury your face in the pillow and the wrinkles are ironed onto your skin as you sleep.

Historical Urban Legend is that swallowing cum esp from virgin male will help retain skin & beauty in women. hence the stroy aout older women seducing young virgin males.

Wonder if same method works for men as well?

Any one into swallowing can share what your skin and appearance looks like? Are you looking younger than your peers?

i am a regular client of face of man.... my dark eye cicle and ance scare still very obvious after 20 treatments........ now they keep asking me to sign up new package which claim to be better treatment on the one i signed before, now i feel their service very lousy and keep promoting their so and so package.

any1 got any experience or better men facia salon to recommend ??

• 5 months later...

What beauty tips, secret weapons or elixir of youth that you have to keep yourself looking young? Care to share?

I've been using moisturisers for years since I was a teenager (and that was ages ago). And it worked. One product I swear by- Cetaphil skin cleaser. It's super mild. No smell. Doesnt clog pores. I wear contacts and this cleaser will not irritate my eyes at all no matter how many times I wash my face. I'm quite strict with my beauty regime but will stop short of putting on any trace of make up. Concealer is ok though.

I guess, it varies for individual. Some might have allergy to some products so it's best that you know your own skin first before trying.

For me the best beauty tip is to free yourself from stress, have adaquate hours or rest and feeling fresh to start a brand new day. At the end of the day, feeling good inside is way better than looking good on the surface.

Haha...

For double potency, it is better that u both Apply&Swallow.

I shy shy to say i kena facial too ma....

having cum on your face ...if the cum contains the wart virus, then it could give you black spots on your faces.

Some guys start to notice the black spots on their faces in their 20s or 30s and thought that they could be "age spots", but actually it is caused by the wart virus.

Refrain from letting strangers cum on your face.

For me the best beauty tip is to free yourself from stress, have adaquate hours or rest and feeling fresh to start a brand new day. At the end of the day, feeling good inside is way better than looking good on the surface.

How right! Beauty has got to be more than skin deep.

Oh.. Tks for the advice..

My reply to this thread was more tongue-in-cheek than in earnest.

Wud say my complexion is pretty good, but i use none of the beauty products espoused by few of the comtributors here. Wat i stick to is the usual cleanliness routine of keeping whole body clean, showering twice a day -once in mng b4 work and again b4 i hit the bed.

I merely use clean water on face, no soap no cleanser.

As the rest of the ingredients on how to maintain clear skin, I think Ry-d enunciated them quite well. i just wana add that twice a week jog in the gym will help body flush out the toxins as well giving the body a healthy glow.

There u have it. easy steps to nice skin.

Btw, how much do facials costs, how often do yuo need to do them and how many sessions do you need to go through before you see good results?

My partner complained that I never maintain my face and wants me to go do some facial wor... So, I wanna ask for advice, since someone started this beauty thread... :P

One of the cheapest place to get your grooming stuff is called Swanston. It's got two branches, both in Chinatown- one at People Park Center adjacent to Maybank and their newer branch is on the second floor next to People Park Complex- the place where they sell fabrics and cloth stuff. I got my Loreal sunblock at $10.90 (it's going at $15.90 at Watson or Guardian and that's their discounted price!). Also I got Olay eye cream at $18.90- it's $23.90 elsewhere. Can save quite a bit of money if you know where to shop wisely.

if you got "pokeholes" complexion due to acne in yoru teenage years.... no remedy liao... go for Laser Peel or Chemical Peel. find a certified doctor to do it though.. beauty products can only make it "Appear" smooth nia.. end of the day. the open pores still very visible.

if you have never used any facial product before and your complexion is okie.... dun start.. once you start.... you will realise that you will always need to use it liao.

else......

use facial scrub at least 2 times a week (dun use your scrub floor strength though...) it will soften your skin. clears the dead skin and prevents the dead skin from clogging your pores. it will also restore radiance on your face.

many mid to high end cleanser is advanced enough for you to skip toner.....BUT moisturiser is a MUST. be it oily or dry skin.. in fact, if you have oily skin, even more important to use a moisturiser. use a non-oil based one though... reason.. if your oily skin after washing becomes too dry, it will trigger your pores to create more oil to protect your skin. applying moisturiser will keep your skin moist. thus will not trigger your pores to create more oil.

dun stick to one brand forever... morale of the story is not to get your skin get used to the product..just like flu. once the virus get used to the antibotic.. next time flu again. eat same antibotic.. no use liao. that is why doctors always ask you to finish your antibotics! haha

use essence, and mask. they actually give you additional nutrients that your skin usually can't get elsewhere. but do not overdo it.. just like over-eating food could kill you. same theory

most importantly..... know what is your skin-type.... and buy products suitable for your skin... eg, you cannot use "for dry skin" products on oily skin....etc.

Why i know all these? cos i used to be pimpled face, with big ugly, painful swells on my face. something like. "unripe" pimples ... imagine. having 2-3 unripe pimples growing on the same spot together.... no matter how you squeeze also dun break that type.. :x :whistle:

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

The latest beauty treatment for acne, according to Sunday's Times, is to put leech on your face. Let those slimy things suck the toxic out your pimples and open the bloodflow again. Must go to KL for the treatment though. Anyone keen?

i so agree with ry-d. having enough sleep and rest and proper diet is so much better and effective way to care for ur face. i met a sydney mardi gras queen in london when i was backpacking. he was like 37 and he looked 25 yrs old. i pestered him for his bequty regime and he told me that he never put chemical beauty products on is face. he ony use tap water and a small towel to exfoliate b4 he goes to bed every nite. i mean for most angmohs, they age quiker than asians, this guy definitely has the skin condition of a 25 yr old asian man! i have been using his recomendation eversince and the last flattering comment i got was that someone tot i was an a-level school leaver! so paiseh lah! :whistle:

aso, i take alot of american ginseng, fish oils, cordyceps and tanggui as part of my beauty regime. eating lots of natural collagen like pig's skin, pig's trotters, and fish skin oso will help to slow the wrinkling process and helps in overall firming of ur whole body, not just ur face.

there's one thing tat i heard tat is quite effective but never try myself is to hav regularly pearl powder mix with hot water or beverages. u can get this from eu yan sang for abt 18 bucks a bottle. many old tai tai who still looks younger than their are known to have taken this regularly when they r still younger. anyone tried this and want to comment??

Serve my fellow bottom men well !

Really?!! Having enough sleep and good diet and having a positive outlook are all we need to keep us beautiful. Try going out under the sun without sunscreen for months (and be happy while you're doing it- inner beauty helps afterall) and see what the exposure will do to your face. Of course chemical beauty products do help.

Genes also determine whether you'll look younger than you are. But feeling good about yourself ALONE is not enough. Most of us would need some other form of help.

yes suncreen, the most impt chemical product that you must have if you are always under the sun. (office guys who only get occasional sunlight need not worry that much)

you see we are in equator (bet you havnt hear this word for a long time) sunlights are more direct and so are the UV rays.

that's for external help

for internal help, maintain good night sleep (no late night orgies) healthy diet (no too much cum or too less cum diet :P ).

i once read somewhere that there are no significant difference betw super ex facial products with those common ones. wonder how true is this...

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

OralB: its true.. infact the difference between counter products and those over the shelf products. are actually the essence contained in the product. the base are in fact the same.

example, you pay few hundred dollars for SK2 bought over the counters.... the content is almost the same as Garnier whitening cleanser that is sold in watson (for example). but that additional few hundred dollars that you pay, you are actually paying for the additonal "Pitera" only.

i still think that basic regime skincare is a must. but to get better results, drink a lot of plain water and get sufficient sleep.

drinking a lot of water not only "glows" your skin, it actually can make you lose weight also. hehe

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

Guest naked servant

Yes, according to a recent survey of the cosmetic creams tested- Olay Regenerist series (which is one of the cheaper brands) came in top. The more expensive brands are only as good or inferior. So the more expensive doesnt mean its better.

Guest Skincare Freak

naked servant & Stoner cub: I agree with you guys. I'm a self confessed skincare junkie last time. Used to spend so much money on expensive products that claims to do this and that. They worked only for a little while but thereafter...sigh

But after reading Paula Begoun's books on skincare. She's the much talked about Cosmetic Cop.

I think expensive products are a joke now. What you are paying mostly are (1) unnecessary ingredients from some funny funny-land that may or may not do anything way below your dermis, (2)funky and luxurious packaging and fragrances and of cos (3)marketing and advertising! Sometimes, its really not worth the money.

I'm appalled by some who uses La Mer cleansers. Just think about it: why pay about $100 for a cleanser when it gets washed down the drain?

And if those anti-wrinkle creams really worked, plastic surgeons like Georgia Lee and Martin Huang would be out-of-jobs. (Ok lah...some like Olay Regenerist may reduce lines to a certain extend.)

What I use now? I'm using Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. Its really mild and actually improved my occasionally acne-prone skin. And this is essential - a sunscreen for everyday purpose. Good one to try, I used to get Neutrogena Ultra sheer sunblock SPF30 from the US. But hey! Its now available in Sg! Wonder what took them so long to bring it here?? :angry:

So to those particular about skincare: (most gays are right?)

(a) Use a mild facial cleanser. Ie. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is good to try. But warning here, this one doesn't lather. And it looks too much like male juice. (But I like...) And remember, sqeauky clean is not always good.

(b) Use a light everyday sunscreen (at least SPF 15) that list the active ingredient as: avobenzone, titanium dioxide or zinc oxide.

© An occasional Clay-mask can be used once or twice a week.

(d) Enough sleep and water. And sex? for that after-glow.

Phew...did I bored you guys?

I'm not trying to sound all-knowing here. But for someone whom have battled with acne since teens and (now 27) having much, much clearer skin now. (Even friends have been asking what I'm using) I've come to realised that expensive dept stores and pharmacy products don't differ very much.

Am just wondering if I hadn't spent so much on those branded products last time. I could have went for a holiday in Europe!! :D

Guest love machine

Has anyone actually tried very expensive beauty products like La Mer? Wonder if their stuff really work miracles???

I got dropping eyelids. Sign of aging. It makes my eyes look old. Wanted to consider surgery for lids. Has anyone done it?

Skin care products of various brands are mainly for maintenance. If want to see drastic changes, i guess plastic surgeries should be the choice such as face lift, eye bags removal...etc. Some products can give temporary lift of skin but only for few hours. Botox can last for four months. Cleansing cream and toner are important items to consider for day to day maintenance.

I believe everything start from " within ", get enough sleep is a key to keep your youthful & healthy skin, drink more vergetable mix with fruit juice, less meat drink enough water not those Coke or coffee etc. :P

• 2 weeks later...