Male HQ

Advice On Male Skin Care - Acne Product / Body Lotion / Moisturizer / Face Wash (Compiled)

• 4 weeks later...

Still have to fight against pimple breakouts even as an adult. Have oily skin too. Wish I had flawless skin but I think very hard.

Anyone here has the same problem?

1. Has anyone here successfully treated pimples or acne scars? Share your experience please.

2. What products or treatments did/do you use?

3. Any good facial cleansers, pimple cream etc (you have tried/used) to recommend?

4. Is National Skin Centre consultation and medication costly or any good?

5. A friend says having oily skin pores(bigger) is a medical condition and there is treatment .

Brother, your questions are too mouthfuls. I suggest you go to

www.http://www.nsc.gov.sg/cgi-bin/WB_GroupGen.pl?id=33 to get most of your answers

Checked and read NSC's website before. But I do wonder if there are any successful cases.

Would love to hear from members here who have achieved good results/treatments by using products bought over the counter or from good dermatologists/doctors.

I refrain from eating spicy stuff~

Can use face wash and cosmetics frm V400... very good for men, so far I do not have a problem with it. I als have oily skin and used to have breakouts~

I hate Reptiles la~

So disgusting!!!! Eeeeee...

Lizards, SNAKES and those yucky yucky stuff~

As an adult, I still get occasional pimples but that can be easily treated using Benzoyl Peroxide Gel 5%. I used to have severe acne, the dermatologist prescribed me Roaccutane/Accutane.

I use Dermalogica special cleansing gel, daily microfoliant and an oil-free moisturiser, my skin has never looked better.

wasabi: Like likeitlots, I used to get occasional spots from stress and suffers from oily skin. I swear by Accutane, went through about 4 courses of this wonder-pill. But low dosage lah...its been known to have some side effects like dry lips and skin. But Accutane controls oil production and breakouts like no other. Try going to National Skin Centre for prescription.

For everyday maintenance, use a very mild cleaser twice a day. Can try Cetaphil from pharmacies. It doesn't lather but gets your skin clean without harsh detergents. For spots, you can try Galderma's Benzac 2.5%, 5% OR 10% gel from Guardian too. (Galderma makes Cetaphil too.)

You should avoid moisturiser unless your skin is really dry. Why moisturise when your skin already produces so much oil?

Lastly, avoid the sun, its been known to aggravate spots and gives you leathery skin over long term exposure.

Hope you can see real improvements soon!

...I swear by Accutane, went through about 4 courses of this wonder-pill.... Try going to National Skin Centre for prescription...

For spots, you can try Galderma's Benzac 2.5%, 5% OR 10% gel from Guardian too. (Galderma makes Cetaphil too.)

Thanks for the useful tips guys.

I am using Banzac gel and Simple Facial Cleansing Foam now.

How much (estimation) will 1 course of Accutane cost at the NSC?

One pill cost around $1. Consultation by a senior doctor is around $70. Be prepared to spend at least $150 - $200 for your first visit.

The pills can get quite addictive, esp when your acne has cleared up. Once you have stopped medication, the oil production comes back slowly but never as oily as before. You might still get rare breakouts every now & then.

It's been a long time since my last visit. Don't think my doc will put me on another course lah. I went thru 4 courses of Accutane to control oil actually! :P

Laser Treatment (S'pore)

Dr Cheong: Laser treatment for acne & scars by certified dermatologist.

www.llcheongskin.com

Well .... I tried to search the web and her clinic at Mt Elizabeth, I believe it could be cost $$$$ :unsure:

I thought referral from polyclinic only between government-own hospital and not to private but I am not sure too :unsure:

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

NSC is a restructured institution which provides subsidized services for those with referral from polyclinic. But even if you go there as a subsized patient, you may not enjoy subsidized rates for some COSMETIC procedures.

Okay Refl... thanks for your clarification :thumb:

I used to have the same problem - acne,scars and such... i have done so many things, including restrain myself from food, trying different skincare and cosmetics products, but it seems to come to no avail...

here is a piece of advice, if you have oily skin, do not eat too much spicy food, do not wipe your sweat on ur face with your hands, not even with shirt or towel, use facial tissue instead. Do not anyhow try any cosmetics products, it may be good to some, but to certain ppl, it may even make your complexion worse.(check whether your skin is suitable or not by seeing whether your skin irritated after the usage of the products for 3 to 4 days. Usually, when your skin is sensitive, you will feel the region around the lips as well as under the eyes itchy and dry. If you feel this, DO NOT continue using the product!!!) DO NOT try to pinch your acne, some ppl may say tt pinching acnes wont leave scars, but in fact, it really will. Sometimes, pinching acne will spread the acnes to other regions.

Anw, i used to have a very bad complexion untill a friend recommend me to go this particular doctor in Toa Payoh, 1st visit will cause less then 250 bux, subsequently, it will get cheaper. Anyone interested PM me, k? will give you the address. Anw, because of this doctor, my skin improved like A LOT, hehehe...

Formerly known as desparado

Thanks to everyone here for sharing your experiences and dispensing useful info :)

Was at my family doctor's today for flu and also consulted the doc about acne breakouts. Was prescribed Clindamycin gel 1%. And I'll diligently apply the gel daily and see how the treatment goes.

hi desparado,

how was the orgy last night? great?

hahaha, the orgy was great!!!! love it, looking forward to the next one... hehehe :D

hi desperado,

how many guys fxxked u at the orgy?

hi desparado,

how was the orgy last night? great?

hahaha, the orgy was great!!!! love it, looking forward to the next one... hehehe :D

hi desperado,

how many guys fxxked u at the orgy?

Alamak .... How come this thread on pimples and acne become orgy? :unsure:

Guest Guest

Yea I forgot...

When u wake up in the morning, drink a cup of warm water b4 even brushing your teeth. It will help in detox. Also, I will juice small bitter gourds every week once to drink. It also helps in detox. This is how I maintain my comlexion also~~ :D

Yea I forgot...

When u wake up in the morning, drink a cup of warm water b4 even brushing your teeth. It will help in detox. Also, I will juice small bitter gourds every week once to drink. It also helps in detox. This is how I maintain my comlexion also~~ :D

lol forgot to log in~ Thats me~

I hate Reptiles la~

So disgusting!!!! Eeeeee...

Lizards, SNAKES and those yucky yucky stuff~

Yea I forgot...

drink cups of water will do after you wake up, it is kind of washing your stomach and intestines,<sure will make u wanna shit, hehehe>. You need to clear off your rectum very often so tt pimples will not come out, hehehe

N, OtherPaw, my suggestion to you is dun drink too much of bitter gourds, coz i have read from a source saying tt bitter gourds can make a guy sterile... k?

N to the "Guest", i have been screwd 3 times tt day...

Formerly known as desparado

• 2 months later...

Asking other 都市玉男 here, do you use cosmetic ? Every morning, I washed my face with facial oil-preventive cleanser, then apply toner, whitening moisturiser, sun block lotion and then lip balm. That will last for the entire day. Before I sleep, I will do the same process except no sun block lotion ....

Do you have any recommendation?

Guest Guest

I use special cleanser for face (dermalogica) which a bit drying so yet to find a perfect cleanser, what brand you using? I don't put toner, moisturiser, lip balm unless my skin is a little dry. I used to use lots of skin care products, now I narrow down what I actually need.

Nice tips. I don't overdo it like you, but that's your preference... not trying to slam you or anything.

I think the best skincare product I've bought has got to be Neutrogena's Rainbath shower/bath gel. Amazing results.

The best cosmetic is sunblock

Sun is the culprit which speeds up wrinkles and pigmentation

z

In this era of metrosexuals and all.. it is about time that men are allowed to venture into cosmetics... moisturisers and toners are basics... we all need them..

You could go a little further by applying some oil free face powder. Bobby brown is good. It just makes the face more matt and not too shiny.. it is totally natural looking and no one will notice. of course choose a tone that is ideal for your skin tone.

If you are more adventurous... you could apply some foundation to the moisturiser and use that... before the powder goes on. It somewhat evens out the skin tone. To apply foundation like women do... on top of the moisturiser is a bit much.. the look is cakey and you will be found out in next to no time.

Rule of thumb... to avoid looking like a drag queen (not that i have anything against them) it is important to use foundation very sparingly... a 1:3 portion for the mix is ideal.

Bobby Brown has the most natural of shades. It is not as dramatic as MAC.

Good luck...

PS... i totally agree - sunblock is very important... prevents age spots! please... use it.

Skincare - 1; cosmetics - 0. Sunblock is skincare, not a cosmetic to me but enough of the semantics.

2 I have generally oily skin like most men and have lived very happily with the following daily skincare products:

Cleanser

'Cetaphil' Gentle Cleanser

Premium: 'Biotherm' Acnopur+ Purifying Foam

Now that Cetaphil has a version for oily skin (online at www.drugstore.com), I get my supply there. As long as your cleanser is free of alcohol, mint, menthol and tea-tree oil (at most a little salicyclic acid if you have an acne concern), you're OK. Of course, this probably rules out a good 80% of products from the Body Shop.

Toner

'Origins' Skin-Refiner Tonic

Moisturiser + Sunblock

'Biotherm Men' SPF50+ High Protection Fluid

3 As for lip balm, I only use it when I'm in a dryer climate like Taiwan or Hong Kong. Generally it's cheaper to buy it here than over there. I alternate between these 2: Jurlique's (more expensive and average staying power) and Carmex (better but available in Taiwan or USA only)

4 Hope this helps you.

I have used Neutrogena face wash all my life. Now they have a men's range too.

Nowadays, I am more game to try other brands. I tried ClarinsMens face wash and shaving foam recently and am pleased with the results.

I understand cosmetics is a very individual thing. What works for one may not work for the other.

I also have this belief that it is good to mix the use of different products be it skincare, shampoo, etc at any one time.

Also, the 'hiao' side of me makes me like to pamper myself with L'Occitane products though it may come across quite womanly. :lol:

PS. I swim regularly and recently, I caught the sun tan bug and am looking for some post-sun tan therapy products, perhaps a body moisturiser, whether 'premium' :D or otherwise. Please advise if you have anything in mind.

我有煙但係邊個有火。。。

Guest fm am

Recently I start using this Olay thermal exfoliating cleanser. God, it's good stuff man. The purplish 'miracle worker' becomes hot as you rub it into your hand. And you can feel the heat generated by the hot gel as you spread it on your face. Not big hard grainy stuff found in other exfoliator. After washing you feel your face like a baby's bottom. :D

Guest Guest
Asking other 都市玉男 here, do you use cosmetic ? Every morning, I washed my face with facial oil-preventive cleanser, then apply toner, whitening moisturiser, sun block lotion and then lip balm. That will last for the entire day. Before I sleep, I will do the same process except no sun block lotion ....

Like that also call cosmetic? This one call skincare lah, dude! biggrin.gif

Have been using Dermalogica, SKII & 4VOO.

For those who have oily skin, never never use bloters.

These are only for emergency touch-up only. As your skin will feel dry, more oil willl be produced. Best is to wash your face with tap water.

Cosmetics are substances used to enhance or protect the appearance or odor of the human body. Cosmetics include skin-care creams, lotions, powders, perfumes, lipsticks, fingernail polishes, eye and facial makeup, permanent waves, hair colors, deodorants, baby products, bath oils, bubble baths, bath salts, butters and many other types of products. Their use is widespread, especially among women in Western countries. A subset of cosmetics is called "make-up", which refers primarily to colored products intended to alter the user

z

Still have to fight against pimple breakouts even as an adult... ... ...

Spotted an ad in today's The Sunday Times (LifeStyle Page L7).

Eucerin is available at Guardian, Watson's Unity NTUC, National Skin Centre, etc...

Have not tried it personally, however, the ad reads "Adult Acne Special Feature".

Their product includes:

Mild Daily Scrub - clinically proven to help remove blackheads and impurities and stop the formation of new ones

Sebum Reducing Cleansing Gel - Cleanses and Refreshes by reducing excess sebum

Clarifying Facial Tonic - Unclogs pores and prevents impurities

Skin Regulating Cream Gel - Regulates sebum production and provides oil-free moisturisation

Treatment Cover Cream - Treats and conceals acne spots at the same time

Disclaimer: All the information above are obtained from the ADVERTISEMENT.

Still have to fight against pimple breakouts even as an adult... ... ...

Spotted an ad in today's The Sunday Times (LifeStyle Page L7).

Eucerin is available at Guardian, Watson's Unity NTUC, National Skin Centre, etc...

Have not tried it personally, however, the ad reads "<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Adult Acne Special Feature</span>".

I have tried Eucerin cleansing agent before.

Aiya, all these pharmaceutical companies like to claim this or claim that to boost their sales....Adult Acne Special Feature ...just a gimmick to me

z

Personally I think men should not overdo make-up like women except for shooting purposes or stage presentation or special events like weddings.

It is the manliness that strikes out .....sometimes I fantasize my man to be one with few scars or unshaven look...hehe :P

For guys who make-up like drags; I think this is more of a transgender/transexual/transvestites.

z

Guest Guest

Of course it works! Look at Sammi Cheng. I have yet to try it though. Too expensive lah. I have a friend who tried it but gave up after few months. She's now back to using L'OREAL stuff. Pietra can be a very expensive ingredient.

If you buy SK11, try not to buy from the dept store. They are usually highly priced (high shop rental, sale stuff turnover, etc). I think there are few shops in Lucky Plaza where they sell perfumes, they also sell cosmetic. It's real stuff (if not they will kena arrested already). Their prices should be lower. Or buy at Changi airport.

Of course it works! Look at Sammi Cheng. I have yet to try it though. Too expensive lah. I have a friend who tried it but gave up after few months. She's now back to using L'OREAL stuff. Pietra can be a very expensive ingredient.

If you buy SK11, try not to buy from the dept store. They are usually highly priced (high shop rental, sale stuff turnover, etc). I think there are few shops in Lucky Plaza where they sell perfumes, they also sell cosmetic. It's real stuff (if not they will kena arrested already). Their prices should be lower. Or buy at Changi airport.

Was at a HDB shop at Toa Payoh Centre earlier on and there were few shelves specially displayed with SK II .... I think HDB shops are reliable and reasonable.

z

To be frank, one of the cheapest places to obtain your stocks of SKII is in Hong Kong. When you're on Kowloon side, make your way to Granville Road (which is near to Miramar Hotel / Shopping Mall) and look for this old-looking store by the name of Lung Hing.

2 Due to the traffic there, the turnover on the items is very high. Do note that you're subject to a limit of 3 pieces of any SKII item as it is so much cheaper there.

3 Just a tip for you if you're making your way to Hong Kong.