Male HQ

Advice On Male Skin Care - Acne Product / Body Lotion / Moisturizer / Face Wash (Compiled)

• 10 months later...

Any good face concealer to recommend?

I've never used one before but is looking to try out one cos was told that concealer is a very useful skincare/make up product for guys as well. :thumb:

Guest Vain vain

Any good face concealer to recommend?

I've never used one before but is looking to try out one cos was told that concealer is a very useful skincare/make up product for guys as well. :thumb:

You should go and get MAC. Its available in all major departmental stores like CK Tang, Taka, Metro, Robinson.

Do not be afraid to approach the counter girls who will try to match the right colour to your skin tone.

wow...if u guys use concealer...won't it look quite sissy? I have seen gays with a bit of make-up (could be concealer) and i think they look so ah kua...

i believe u must find the right tone of colour for your skin. simple make up is okay i think, but not overdo it. i've seen on those taiwan shows, they even taught guys how to put on mascara. :B)

that being said, show we choose the colour that is just right or a shade lighter or darker?

and is MAC very good?

• 2 weeks later...

Can try the Menaji brand which is a famous make-up line specially for men used by many male hollywood celebrities:

http://www.sportsmenasia.com/default.asp?b=35

they have different shades for different skin tones, i got the medium range for myself but u may ask the sportsmenasia salesboys to allow you to test-try which is the best shade for u.

Can try the Menaji brand which is a famous make-up line specially for men used by many male hollywood celebrities:

http://www.sportsmenasia.com/default.asp?b=35

they have different shades for different skin tones, i got the medium range for myself but u may ask the sportsmenasia salesboys to allow you to test-try which is the best shade for u.

so how do you find it?

i am using L'EGERE BB cream as concealer to lighten some of my red spots...although it cant really conceal my spots but at least it gives me a sense of 'coverage' so that i feel more confident.

Hmmm...can't remember the name of this shop...is a men's skin care and fragrance shop at 1st level of Cathay Building. They sell this BB cream from Korean which evens up the skin tone very well...is call 'Multi Effect B.B. for Men' by Clinical Skin Solution, has SPF25 too. It's 50ml packaging comes handy to bring around. Price a little high...$65, but worth it. Give it a try! :thumb:

Any BB cream that you guys recommend for tanned/dark skin? Cos I bought 1 BB cream last time but the colour is too light, apply on face very obvious. Tried in the store seems okay, but went home it's too 'bright'.

Hmmm...can't remember the name of this shop...is a men's skin care and fragrance shop at 1st level of Cathay Building. They sell this BB cream from Korean which evens up the skin tone very well...is call 'Multi Effect B.B. for Men' by Clinical Skin Solution, has SPF25 too. It's 50ml packaging comes handy to bring around. Price a little high...$65, but worth it. Give it a try! :thumb:

this one? http://www.whathewants.com.sg/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=318&category_id=68&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

review?

Yep! This is the one. :clap:

The cream has a smooth texture and slightly watery. But is good, as it spread easily and evenly on the face by simply using the finger tips. :thumb: The initial application tends to make the face slightly lighter shade but soon 'fused' into the skin, blends and even out the skin tone looking natural. Somehow this cream has a rather good oil control property, the face stays rather matted throughout the day (for my case lah...not sure about other users...). ;)

Yep! This is the one. :clap:

The cream has a smooth texture and slightly watery. But is good, as it spread easily and evenly on the face by simply using the finger tips. :thumb: The initial application tends to make the face slightly lighter shade but soon 'fused' into the skin, blends and even out the skin tone looking natural. Somehow this cream has a rather good oil control property, the face stays rather matted throughout the day (for my case lah...not sure about other users...). ;)

b4t, do you think this is suitable for tanned skin?

b4t, do you think this is suitable for tanned skin?

Dear Guest,

As I'm not sure how tanned you are...so can't really advice on that. :rolleyes:

Fyi, I actually tried a few different brands of BB cream while shopping around and do agree most of them tends to 'whiten' the face due to the thickness of the cream. For this particular one, the cream is more liquid and a little can be spread quite a big area on the face. However, it can be tricky for the first few try of application (i.e. over dose of cream :wacko: )

Do drop by 'What He Wants' shop at Cathay, try out the cream by applying a thin layer near the jaw line of the face to see whether it blends into your skin tone. If it does blend nicely, bingo! :clap: If not, then don't get it lor... :lol:

Happy trying...Cheers! :P

I tried to buy a concealer from Whathewants last time but chickened out cos I just felt very self-conscious trying the make up range in front of the other shoppers passing by. I think they shud hv some kind of curtains or more discreet counter for guys to test the right shade for their skin tone. In the end, traveled all the way to CHinatown Point to get it from SMA. At least it was more hidden and almost all the guys shopping there are also aj.

Guest Skin maniac

try Dr.Jart* Black SPF25PA++ & BB Cream.

i find it is good at blending into your skin tone. if u are tanned, try not to use too much.

of course, all bb cream has whitening effect, but it depends how much u are blending it into your skin and how much u use.

tried and test the above bb cream with numerous people and all of them love it. and all of them have different skin tones.

Dear Guest,

As I'm not sure how tanned you are...so can't really advice on that. :rolleyes:

Fyi, I actually tried a few different brands of BB cream while shopping around and do agree most of them tends to 'whiten' the face due to the thickness of the cream. For this particular one, the cream is more liquid and a little can be spread quite a big area on the face. However, it can be tricky for the first few try of application (i.e. over dose of cream :wacko: )

Do drop by 'What He Wants' shop at Cathay, try out the cream by applying a thin layer near the jaw line of the face to see whether it blends into your skin tone. If it does blend nicely, bingo! :clap: If not, then don't get it lor... :lol:

Happy trying...Cheers! :P

im considered mid tanned. i guess have to really trial and error with a few brands.

do you mind sharing what are the ones you have used before? other than the ones sold at whathewants, i have also come across brands like brtc, skin79, dr jart, skinfood etc. personally i feel that whathewants is selling at quite a high price. <_<

I tried to buy a concealer from Whathewants last time but chickened out cos I just felt very self-conscious trying the make up range in front of the other shoppers passing by. I think they shud hv some kind of curtains or more discreet counter for guys to test the right shade for their skin tone. In the end, traveled all the way to CHinatown Point to get it from SMA. At least it was more hidden and almost all the guys shopping there are also aj.

i think you are too self-conscious lah. in the first place, whathewants is a store solely for men(not like those female beauty counters), so i will feel comfortable inside. and who cares about those shoppers outside? at most you only see them for 2 seconds. if not just turn your back against the entrance.

im considered mid tanned. i guess have to really trial and error with a few brands.

do you mind sharing what are the ones you have used before? other than the ones sold at whathewants, i have also come across brands like brtc, skin79, dr jart, skinfood etc. personally i feel that whathewants is selling at quite a high price. <_<

Good day, Guest!

I think those brands that you mentioned except Dr Jart, I've tested them out before at those shops or counter. As for price wise...well, as long as the product works well and perform up to expectation, paying a little more is okay lah. :D

In case you want a concealer as well, recommend you to get 'Erase Paste' by Benefit. Comes in three shades...shade 3 (the darkest which I'm using as well) probably suits most guy's skin tone. As the name says, it really erases the 'defects' and 'lines' well. However you need to set the concealer with loose powder or compact powder...try MAC Sheer Pressed compact. Have many shades to choose to match your skin tone! Love it! :thumb:

Gee...am I sounding carried away talking about make up for guys??? Hahaha....:whistle:

Cheers! :lol:

Good day, Guest!

I think those brands that you mentioned except Dr Jart, I've tested them out before at those shops or counter. As for price wise...well, as long as the product works well and perform up to expectation, paying a little more is okay lah. :D

In case you want a concealer as well, recommend you to get 'Erase Paste' by Benefit. Comes in three shades...shade 3 (the darkest which I'm using as well) probably suits most guy's skin tone. As the name says, it really erases the 'defects' and 'lines' well. However you need to set the concealer with loose powder or compact powder...try MAC Sheer Pressed compact. Have many shades to choose to match your skin tone! Love it! :thumb:

Gee...am I sounding carried away talking about make up for guys??? Hahaha....:whistle:

Cheers! :lol:

okay i shall let myself be known as goh instead of guest. :B)

so out of all those bb creams that you've used before, the multi effect bb from whathewants is the best?

haha im looking for something to conceal, so it's either bb cream or concealer. what does loose powder and compact powder do? i saw from whathewants website that they do sell other concealers and powders, maybe will check them out too.

actually im quite skeptical to use make up, not because it's girly or what, but because im scared that it will worsen the skin condition. personally, i have a rigorous skincare regime that have made my face pretty good but there's still small flaws so thought that make up might come in handy. :B)

As for me, I don't care how other shoppers look at me, as long I'm happy, I approached the SA and she'll try the makeup on my face to get the right shade. I sat at Guerlain counter right at the middle of Taka.

Well, I'm not girly but I put on foundation and sunblock everyday. I consider myself good in nude makeup to cover my pimple scars n redness. If you think apply foundation is too fake, try loose Powder after your moisturizer. It look natural.

how to apply powder when the weather so warm and humid huh?? sure very sticky..as if wearing camo cream on face?

hi Dude,

Obviously you're a bit behind time. Makeup products have improved so much and amazingly make you look natural n nude.

The are many liquid foundation or two way cake that specially make for asian's skin and climate. I'm currently using Guerlain. I'm super sweaty type.

After my gym, my foundation stay yet look very natural.

Loose powder is to set make up and to give us a matt finishing. Most of the loose powder works to absorb sebum and our face stays matt the whole day. Loss powder is very sheer and light. Easy to apply. Now there are mineral makeup which dont clog pores and good for sensitive skin. Loose powder also very affordable and can lang for very long time. Dior nude loose powder is good, give nude finish yet matt finish. maybe you should try one day

Sorry for the typo above. You can also get translucent loose powder. It blend into your skin and good for oily skin control especially T=zone area at the same time give some coverage.

Make up for men is not uncommon these days. In Japan and Taiwan, men are using them. However, we need to be very carefully when using them so as not to make it too cakey or we would look like drag queens.

I agree that some foundation and/or loose powder to even out skin tone is good. Nice to see that men have an even skin tone. Looks good for presentations and work. But again be mindful to overdoing it.

I personally prefer BB Cream. I have tried 3 so far - from Etude, the Face Shop and Skin food.

Etude is my personal favourite as it leaves a clean look and it is easy to apply. The rest are actually fine too.

Give it a shot.

Guest skin maniac

i strongly recommend dr jart's.

i am not its reseller or sales, but this product has proven over and over to me from various people using that it is great.

looks more natural and slightly dewy after normal day to day face sweat.

okay i shall let myself be known as goh instead of guest. :B)

so out of all those bb creams that you've used before, the multi effect bb from whathewants is the best?

haha im looking for something to conceal, so it's either bb cream or concealer. what does loose powder and compact powder do? i saw from whathewants website that they do sell other concealers and powders, maybe will check them out too.

actually im quite skeptical to use make up, not because it's girly or what, but because im scared that it will worsen the skin condition. personally, i have a rigorous skincare regime that have made my face pretty good but there's still small flaws so thought that make up might come in handy. :B)

Hi Goh,

A little bit of make up used will not harm your skin as long as you find the right product. What requires is proper cleansing of your face at the end of the day which is not an issue since you already have a rigorous skin care regime. :thumb:

Do get trust worthy brands of cosmetic products and make sure you test/try them to your satisfaction then buy them. :lol:

cheers

Hi Goh,

A little bit of make up used will not harm your skin as long as you find the right product. What requires is proper cleansing of your face at the end of the day which is not an issue since you already have a rigorous skin care regime. :thumb:

Do get trust worthy brands of cosmetic products and make sure you test/try them to your satisfaction then buy them. :lol:

cheers

Thanks b4t :)

i think i will try concealer and powder first. cos bb cream tends to whiten, will give it a miss this time first.

Guest tsu_glenn87@hotmail.com

Hey guys, Im quite crazy about bb creams and its kinda common in korea, I personally tried, DR JART, Missha, Skinfood, BRTC, Currently, i think the darkest bb i have used is Missha water bb cream, Its quite tanned and the consistency is not thick, and can easily spread, even though i used more i still dont look very fair, unless i used alot. However, the downside is the coverage is not very strong due to it consistency. It will be suitable for good skin guys to have an overall toned skin.

hihih its my first time posting in here...but anyway just wanna share the points below with you guys. In case you may wonder how come i know so much bout make up...its related to my job haha..

(1) Concealer

It comes in various forms depending on the amount of coverage you need. Basically it comes in:

(a) Liquid Form

this type of concealer provides little to medium coverage. oil content is lower and therefore the texture is not as thick compared to cream/stick concealer. Provide good coverage for ruddiness, mild dark circles and etc.

(b) Cream/Stick Form

this type of concealer provides most coverage as oil content is much higher and therefore the texture is thicker. It provide very good coverage for pimples, bad dark circles and etc

(2) Foundation

Like concealer, it comes in various forms depending on the amount of coverage you need. Basically it comes in:

(a) Liquid Form

this type of foundation provide medium coverage. majority of it are water based

(b) Cream/Stick Form

this type of foundation provide maximum coverage. majority of it are oil based

© Powder Form (e.g. compact powder, 2 way cake)

this type of foundation provides minimum coverage.

Basically, foundation and concealer serve the same purpose of making the skin look flawless. Foundation on itself provides a certan level of coverage on blemishes. So therefore if the condition of your face is not that bad, application of foundation is sufficient. Unless the condition of your face is bad (e.g. acne, pigmentation and etc) then u will need to use it together with foundation to create that perfect looking skin. Something you may wish to note would be that concealer should be used sparingly and only on the affected areas and not on the whole face.

Personally, i prefer to use liquid concealer with liquid foundation. Normally it provide sufficient coverage on the face and most importantly it looks NATURAL. Try to avoid using powder foundation as it provide minimum coverage and the tendency is that you will apply many layers to get the coverage you want, and in the end your face look very much like a piece of cake.

There are no hard and fales rules on the use of concealer or foundation. this is because due to the different skin types that each individual have, the choice of the different concealer or foundation to use differs (for eg. its a better choice for someone with oily skin to use powder foundation as it keep the face less shiny since powder absorbs oil thus keeping the face looking matt and not making the person face looking cakey). application techniques also play a part here. GOOD BLENDING is key to a natural looking face.

I have tried many cosmetics in the market, but personally i still like the ones from MAC (pls note that i m not a sales person of this company). I m using the liquid concealer and foundation from MAC. so far i m satisfied with the after effect.

Anyway hope you guys find the info i have shared with u useful. If you need more info/help you may wish to drop me a email at glitz_diva@yahoo.com. Cheers!!!!!

• 1 month later...

hihi Guest, the key things to note in order not to have patchy effects would be to getting the correct shade and also application/blending techniques. I m not sure what you are trying to conceal. Maybe you could tell me more and i could give you some advice.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cured from acne

How severe is your acne? If it is only occasional acnes, you could use a skin care regime from Paula's Choice, google it they have distributor in Singapore. Their BHA 2% is really good for combating acnes. If it is quite severe, you better go to GP and seek referral to a dermatologist and ask for Accutane (Roaccutane).

my acne nt that severe, i would say moderate, bt its really irritating exp when need 2 c clients, i hav heard DHC fr japan, izit any good? heard 2 prod is quite good n actually working on acne skin