Male HQ

Insomnia - Those Who Can't Sleep + Remedies to Sleep Better Discussion (Compiled)

Guest CannotSleep

These are my own steps for falling asleep easily and staying asleep too!

1) Dont eat too full 3-4 hours before your sleeping time

2) Try to sleep at the same timing each night (11pm each night seems good)

3) Do not do anything that will cause you to have "stress" before you sleep, eg: brainstorming ideas for your work/presentation tomorrow.

4) Try meditation to completely relax your body and mind before sleep

5) Some people say no caffeine during dinner (or 6 hours before sleep), but I always drink tea after dinner and it does not affect my sleep at all... :mellow:

Most important point is to not feel stressed or worried before sleeping or else you will keep waking up throughout the night or have a "shallow" sleep.

On 4/7/2019 at 12:36 PM, Guest workingadult said:

quality of sleep getting worse as i get older.

realise this is common among many working adults.

its either waking up in the middle of the night or hard to fall asleep even when tired.

have tried:

1) melatonin - effective at first but effects wear off after awhile. dun wish to be dependent on it as well

2) ZMA - fairly effective but cause diarrhoea for me. anyone experience the same?

3) Jerking off - we all know it causes us to be tired, however i can't be jerking off every single night or use it as a solution.

any remedies that does not include medication? pls share!

I have tried the GABA good nite. I bought from 7 eleven. I buy because I want to try the 5-htp to make me more happy. I drink in the morning and by ard 4 hours later I feel so sleepy and no energy to work. 

i tested with result but subject to personal status :

1. Hot shower before sleep

2. Drink milk/chamoline tea/ginger tea/teh halia from mama shop

3. slice ginger place under pillow

4. oil mixed with difuse - buy from diaso yang yang

5. use sleep mask (only work when i m tired)

6. focus on the object eg dimp light, spot etc - to tired the eye to doze off

7. deep breathing - it work for me, deep sleep sometime over sleep to wake up.

8. download apk on mediation, white noise and mindfulness - sometime i got bad dream or nightmare. I ever got into subconscious to discover my worst fear, darkest fear - in the end i face it and accept the truth - face it and overcome it.

9. go for a night walking, jogging to destress

10. reading lite topic eg blowing forum before bed, CNN and poems or lyric

HOpe it work for those sleepless in singapore !

ps :

no 9 : last time i kena insomia due to stress, i do night walking but end up cruising at 3am .

no 7 : practise deep breathing  - it work for me unless nose blockage or flu.

the best is to ensure - dun hold any anger, stress and over work - slow pace and alway ensure self motivtion that everything leave it to GOD will, brush your teeth and tell yourself to the mirror -  you did your best, no regret and gratitude - actually planting a seed to subconsious mind to relax with peaceful sleep.

Stressed or worried confirmed would affect your sleep. Have to eliminate these two things first to improve your sleep. 

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

• G_M changed the title to Insomnia - Those Who Can't Sleep + Remedies to Sleep Better Discussion (Compiled)
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • 9 months later...

Previously thought is my stressful job which cause me insomnia. But now after having quit my job and not working, still the same. While my other half sleeping peaceful next to me. It only take him 5-10mins to completely fall asleep.

No matter what I try (bath, warm milk, soothing music) I can't really sleep. 

As to what is my brain is thinking... I also dono. Nothing really in particular. Maybe just thinking of what to do tomorrow? Same old thing again? At home starring at four walls and/or watch the same old boring tv series...not to mention eating same meal at coffeeshop. 

Is it the me under going mid life crisis at age of 44... hmmm. Haiz....

Guest SleepingGay

Here are some of my remedies, hope it will help you. I used to have bad insomnia too, but things have gotten better.

1) Get a suitable pillow, this is really important. Sometimes its your pillow and sleeping posture (head and neck position) that is making you hard to sleep. Search for 6D pillow on qoo10, i got it through a friend’s recommendation and its not bad. Comfortable and helps me to fall asleep faster. Not too ex, i think its less than $50.

2) Aromatherapy - Lavender essential oil. I use a diffuser and leave it on throughout the night. Does help me to sleep better. However, I actually got a slight headache the next morning for a few days initially but after awhile, the headache is gone. Guess its the body getting used to it.

I dun use it daily though, initially its about 4 to 5x a week, now its 2 to 3x a week.

3) Melatonin - I guess your body is like mine, get used to a supplement very fast and have to increase your dosage within a short period. The way to get around this is to cycle - stop taking for 2 weeks after taking it continuously for say, 2 weeks daily.

I guess melatonin is still the best natural supplement as compared to those clinical sleeping pills or medicines.

4) Caffeine consumption - i stop taking coffee and tea (even pokka green tea) after 3pm. The timing is different for everyone though.

Sometimes its also effective to purposely wake up very early and sleep very little the day before so you will naturally be very tired the following day and can sleep easily. But not recommended though cos might not be good for your body.

Guest InBangkok
8 hours ago, Guest SleepingGay said:

Here are some of my remedies, hope it will help you. I used to have bad insomnia too, but things have gotten better.

1) Get a suitable pillow, this is really important. Sometimes its your pillow and sleeping posture (head and neck position) that is making you hard to sleep. Search for 6D pillow on qoo10, i got it through a friend’s recommendation and its not bad. Comfortable and helps me to fall asleep faster. Not too ex, i think its less than $50.

2) Aromatherapy - Lavender essential oil. I use a diffuser and leave it on throughout the night. Does help me to sleep better. However, I actually got a slight headache the next morning for a few days initially but after awhile, the headache is gone. Guess its the body getting used to it.

I dun use it daily though, initially its about 4 to 5x a week, now its 2 to 3x a week.

3) Melatonin - I guess your body is like mine, get used to a supplement very fast and have to increase your dosage within a short period. The way to get around this is to cycle - stop taking for 2 weeks after taking it continuously for say, 2 weeks daily.

I guess melatonin is still the best natural supplement as compared to those clinical sleeping pills or medicines.

4) Caffeine consumption - i stop taking coffee and tea (even pokka green tea) after 3pm. The timing is different for everyone though.

I totally sympathise with chubbiz. I started suffering from insomnia in my late 20s. I had a great job which I loved but it often involved long hours and late evening working. Eventually my doctor prescribed a mild sedative and I would take one if I really couldn't sleep. The nature of my work has always involved some evening work and late dinners. Eventually it also involved extensive travelling. Round the word trips with 2 or 3 nights in 7 or 8 different cities. Or trans Pacific or European trips for 1 or 2 nights. I loved the job and loved those trips. But sleeping became even more difficult. So I always travelled with sleeping pills and had to continue for a few days after I returned home and suffered from jet lag.

Now I lead a much less hectic life with mostly daytime work. I agree with some of Guest SleepingGuy's suggestions -

1. Absolutely no caffeine in the afternoon or evening.

2. Each night I use a lavender based "Sleep Enhancer" that is sprayed on the pillow. It is made by a company in the UK (not sure if I am allowed to name it), I love the aroma and find it makes me more relaxed.

Additionally

3. I try to have dinner at least 4 hours before going to bed and not snack thereafter,

4. I keep away from computers, phones and other light-emitting devices for two hours before going to bed. 

I have tried melatonin but for me it just does not work.

The only other point I'll make is insomnia is a massive epidemic worldwide and the numbers affected are increasing. Studies show that between 10% and 25% of Americans suffer from acute insomnia each year.

9 hours ago, chubbiz said:

I wake up 8am and sleep at 3-4am. I dont take afternoon nap neither do I take coffee or sugary drinks or food after 7pm. Haiz...

Sounds like your sleep pattern is pushed back.

How are you during the day? Are you tired? Are you sleepy? No energy?  Cos some people only need a few hours sleep per day.

You can also consider seeing a sleep therapist.

I have had bouts of insomnia in the past, but thankfully they didn't last long.

I guess if you stress about not sleeping, it is just going to make it worse.

I face the same problem but I have irregular sleeping patterns throughout my entire life. Below are some measures which I took & some works for a while: 

1. Don’t sleep too close or hug partner as any slight movement from him will awaken me

2. Acceptance. There is a difference between insomnia & needing less sleep as one age.  If my body don’t feel stress from the fewer hours, I will take it as the new accepted pattern 

3. Keep myself occupied during the day, mentally & physically. Sometimes not doing much during the day will make it more difficult getting to sleep at night

I am not in favour of sleeping pills as I feel that is one of the causes in my deteriorating good memory 

There are many people have insomnia or sleep problem. If you have problem falling asleep, and if you get too stress thinking what time can you fall asleep, confirmed it will make you even harder to sleep. Maybe you can make yourself tired during the day, so that at night you can fall asleep.

Many people and even doctors have suggested ways and methods to help you to sleep, i strongly think it might not work for some people. If insomnia problem did not affect your daily life and work, try to incorporate this problem into part of your life but still try to get some sleep of at least 4-5 hours and not completely did not sleep. Maybe slowly your sleep problem might just improved and you can sleep longer time.

You might want to check your sleeping surroundings and see if anything is disturbing your sleep. I lost weeks of sleep after my neighbor installed the ceiling fans in their house, simply because the fan wasn't well fixed, and it vibrated through the entire house through the walls. I couldn't find out what was causing me to lose sleep cos the usual white noise drowned out consistent hum. It was until I woke up very early in the morning when all the usual white noise were over that the hum became very apparent, and that was when I discovered that was the cause of my constant headache for weeks. 

When all things turn quiet in the still of the night, to some people, that is where their brains become the busiest and most alive. It controls bodily functions, including sleep. So it programmes the body to ‘not sleep yet’.

I used to be sleeping in short periods then get up in the middle of the night, wide-eyed and tossing and turning.

If you want, give meditation a try to calm the mind and soothe the brain cells to induce sleep. Some medicinal incense have calmjning effects to let the user fall into deep sleep, and this boosts the genki in the room.

As mentioned by guest inbangkok, it’s important to keep smartphones and all electronic devices away from the bed, so that their electromagnetic waves do not interfere with our brainwaves and affect our sleep patterns. Sweet dreams 😴

21 hours ago, AFter8 said:

When all things turn quiet in the still of the night, to some people, that is where their brains become the busiest and most alive. It controls bodily functions, including sleep. So it programmes the body to ‘not sleep yet’.

I used to be sleeping in short periods then get up in the middle of the night, wide-eyed and tossing and turning.

If you want, give meditation a try to calm the mind and soothe the brain cells to induce sleep. Some medicinal incense have calmjning effects to let the user fall into deep sleep, and this boosts the genki in the room.

As mentioned by guest inbangkok, it’s important to keep smartphones and all electronic devices away from the bed, so that their electromagnetic waves do not interfere with our brainwaves and affect our sleep patterns. Sweet dreams 😴

How come many people can fall asleep in less than 10 mins after they have hit their bed? Whereas some people take long time to fall asleep? And some people even worst, cannot fall asleep at all or tend to wake up in the middle of the night and then cannot fall back to sleep? And these group of people might feel sleepy during the day but not during the night?

22 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

How come many people can fall asleep in less than 10 mins after they have hit their bed? Whereas some people take long time to fall asleep? And some people even worst, cannot fall asleep at all or tend to wake up in the middle of the night and then cannot fall back to sleep? And these group of people might feel sleepy during the day but not during the night?

Just as men of the same race can look different in build, height, facial features and health conditions, for reason by which we are manufactured by different factories under different conditions (there’s no ISO or GMP standard for this), so to speak. 😉

10 minutes ago, AFter8 said:

Just as men of the same race can look different in build, height, facial features and health conditions, for reason by which we are manufactured by different factories under different conditions (there’s no ISO or GMP standard for this), so to speak. 😉

How i envy those people which can fall asleep in less than 10 mins everyday. But when i was younger, i also can fall asleep quite fast but don't know why when i grow older, i have difficulty to fall asleep.

56 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

How i envy those people which can fall asleep in less than 10 mins everyday. But when i was younger, i also can fall asleep quite fast but don't know why when i grow older, i have difficulty to fall asleep.

Haha true.  The problem with me is I tend to doze off after a lunch meal, no matter how light it can be. It almost cost me my job, so I switched my career path altogether.  My GP ruled out narcolepsy, but it's happening to me till today that I must have my daily siesta.  So it's How I wish I was born a Spaniard.. 🙄

Anyway, I'm digressing lol..

• 1 month later...

I also cannot sleep when:

• I have an upcoming job interview

• I have a challenging task/deadline at work

• Sleeping in same room with someone who snores very loudly

• In a hotel

=> I definitely inherited this from my mum who take really strong sleep aid in order to sleep 3 hours daily (yep, 3 hours only. I made her wear Fitbit to track her sleep time).

For me, I tried several OTC sleep aids. Some are too strong (some OTC sleep aids from Japan) that i feel sleepy the entire day next day, some are not effective at all (e.g. Valerian root).

But so far, the most effective has been Zzzquil (Grape flavored syrup, by Vicks). I bought it from Amazon US though.

It does not contain melatonin. (melatonin is said to be bad for you in the long run because of nightmares)

It basically contains same ingredient as cough syrup/antihistamine (Diphenhydramine)

I don't drink the prescribed amount (I think 2 tablespoons or something). I only take one third to one half the recommended amount, and only about 3 to 4 times a week.

I fall sleepy in about an hour or so. I find it a bit difficulty waking up initially, but after a cup of coffee, I'm all good.

Hope this helps, in case you still have sleep problems.

Qoo10 also got Zzzquil:

https://www.qoo10.sg/item/DIRECT-FROM-USA-VICKS-ZZZQUIL-NIGHTTIME-SLEEP-AID-LIQUID-WARMING/656504494

Actually the number of hours we sleep is not critical. Important thing is we must feel rejuvenated when we wake up.

Some people need fewer hours to recuperate and it's a good thing actually.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest guest

You need to have quality sleep, even for 3-4 hours you would also feel rejuvenated. But some people are used to sleeping less than 6 hours and yet they can function in their daily life normally. Like some people sleep at 12-1am and wake up at 5.30-6am and still can drive, go work without feeling tired and headache. So depends on individual. 

• 1 month later...
Guest Go Try
21 hours ago, Guest Harley said:

If you have insomia, how do you manage to sleep?

Go to the drug store and buy Magnesium (Glycinate).  It helps soften your vein stiftness, ease your blood pressure and penetrate your brain to sooth you into sleep. 

Guest guest
12 minutes ago, Guest Guest123 said:

For those cannot sleep due to stress, take some magnesium. I manage to sleep normally after few days taking magnesium.

How many MG of magnesium are you taking?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.