Male HQ

Photography Enthusiasts + Photographer's Group (Compiled)

qiange

Those were shot handheld...I got a tripod from my brother after he upgraded but I didn't bring it with me that day. I want to go back n try some long exposure shot like those I saw in CS. Well, K7 was featured last night on TV programme "Same but Different" :). I just love using it..it has best combination of style, features and bang for buck.

I just went to Henderson bridge yesterday. It was a very hot day! Some shots uploaded :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24624541@N05/sets/72157623980915524/

We should go back to do some night shooting there.

I just went to Henderson bridge yesterday. It was a very hot day! Some shots uploaded :

Darn, I've been wanting to go to Henderson Bridge for a while. Have been very busy lately, and my camera is rotting in drybox hell :P heard that the night lighting at Henderson Bridge is pretty good too! I'm a little worried about the highlights being blown out, so I'm thinking perhaps an evening photoshoot will be awesome heh.

[Edit] Hort Park is also nearby too. I went there quite some time ago and if it weren't for the time constraints I would have stayed there the whole day :P

Edited by hazilyhasty

If the world don't suck we'd all fall off.

We should go to The Helix for night shoot. I went again today but did not bring my tripod. Marina Bay Sands has a fantastic panoramic view of the city skyline..alot of photographers there. The sunset there is awesome.

one guy.one lifetime

We should go to The Helix for night shoot. I went again today but did not bring my tripod. Marina Bay Sands has a fantastic panoramic view of the city skyline..alot of photographers there. The sunset there is awesome.

It would be awesome if we could access the rooftop. Or at least sneak onto it :P but the waterfront area, I believe, do offer an unprecedented view of the CBD because in the past we used to snap CBD from the promenade outside Esplanade (which explains why all the CBD photos look virtually identical hah)

When are you going?

Guest curious

do you guys use any filter ?

what do u guys do if its a broad daylight and u do not want it to be overexposed..

sorry im rather new at this...

do you guys use any filter ?

what do u guys do if its a broad daylight and u do not want it to be overexposed..

sorry im rather new at this...

We would either step up the apeture or use a neutral density gradient filter :) alternatively, to properly exposure everything we can construct a high dynamic range image from 3 or more different exposures (such that the highlights and shadows are exposed properly)

Guest curious

We would either step up the apeture or use a neutral density gradient filter :) alternatively, to properly exposure everything we can construct a high dynamic range image from 3 or more different exposures (such that the highlights and shadows are exposed properly)

hahaa i stil dont really get in..

hais... im keen in learning photography..

maybe u can teach me ?

im currently holding on to a D60. the neutral density gradient filter isit must buy ? or can make urslf.. construct high dynamic range image(how to go about doing it)

thanks..

hahaa i stil dont really get in..

hais... im keen in learning photography..

maybe u can teach me ?

im currently holding on to a D60. the neutral density gradient filter isit must buy ? or can make urslf.. construct high dynamic range image(how to go about doing it)

thanks..

For the neutral density gradient filter, it's not necessary. What I usually do is simply manipulate the photo a little in Photoshop to approximate the correct exposure. However, a ND gradient filter will definitely help a lot, and it's effects are not easily replicated by Photoshop work.

For the high dynamic range image (HDRi) generation, I did write a tutorial about it 2 years ago - HDR Merging & Tweaking Tutorial

wow~cool~

Boyish, innocent & sincerely --- thats me ~~~

Glad to make friends with you ~

I don't care about your appearance, background and wealth.

What I need is just your love.

总是在没有事情做的时候感觉到孤单

总是想着如果身边能有一个人陪着,做什么都开心

总是想惦记着某个人,同时被他惦记着

我想交好多好多朋友,心想着一定会找到命中注定的他

我想结束自己孤单的旅程,为自己的灵魂找到一个家

祝大家都幸福,也祝我自己会幸福。

----------------------------

只想找一个人好好爱。

• 1 year later...

Following this morning's successful outing, starting this thread for those members who are very enthu or into photography. And we can go on more regular outings to shoot. Add yourselves to this thread, and if you want to join us for outings too!

Upcoming outings are listed below. Please understand that I subscribe to the belief that we should respect the places we go to. And for that I avoid publishing details of how to access some of these places, so as not to swamp them with mobs that will lead to these places getting closed off.

Wed 29 Jun 8.00am - going railway... ;)

Genre : abstracts, scenics, record shots

*whoever's keen, contact me privately*

Group size - limited to 4 pax

1. MeowP

2. *WHL*

Sun 03 Jul 8.00am - Lavender MRT

Genre : scenic and nature, some abstracts

Expect to pass thru Beach Rd Food Centre arnd 10+

Group size - limited to 6 pax

1. MeowP

2. MeowP's fren

3. (from FB)

Tue 05 Jul 5.30pm - SAFRA Mt Faber

Genre : sunset and evening scenes

Expect to climb Henderson Waves

Group size - keeping to 5 pax

1. MeowP

Sat 09 Jul 8.00am - Tiong Bahru MRT

Genre : architecture, scenics, abstracts and CATS

Group size - limit to 5 pax

1. MeowP

Happy shooting!

Edited by MeowPrince

Instagram @the_meowprince

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for absence of updates, so far all the outings have been pretty good, and there's even been special shoots (not listed here). Thanks to all who attended, hope you enjoyed.

In responses to those who PMed me about weekday outings - Yes, there are, and will continue to be. I'll list the upcoming outings in a while. Meanwhile, here are some of the pictures from the last few outings.

From 29 Jun - the railway yards

110700-11.jpg

110700-12.jpg

From 03 Jul - the scenery, something amusing, and our brunch!

110700-27.jpg

110700-26.jpg

110700-29.jpg

Thanks to a change of my schedules, managed to do 2 outings, with 17 Jul being a double-outing! Hope those of you who joined enjoyed yourselves (Ben, Alf and J) and enjoyed the company. Hope you found your photos worth the aching feet, too, lol!

from 17 Jul...

110700-51.jpg

110700-52.jpg

110700-55.jpg

110700-59.jpg

110700-56.jpg

from later half of outing (including the late meal)

110700-54.jpg

110700-57.jpg

110700-60.jpg

- - - - - - - -

and from 15 Jul outing

110700-53.jpg

110700-58.jpg

- - - - - - - -

The next two outings will be

Fri 22 Jul 7.00pm Alkaff Bridge

- MeowP + 2 friends

-

-

-

Sat 30 Jul TFCD Studio Shoot

- MeowP + 2 (FULL)

with one military-themed model and one brief/bikini model

* The chaps who've prebooked with me, please contact me by this weekend to settle the arrangements, thank you.

Sun 31 Jul 7.45am at Hillview area

- MeowP + friend

- A (t.b.c.)

-

-

-

Unfortunately, I will be unable to do any more weekday outings during the remainder of July as I've a busy work schedule lined up.

As always, for those who wish to join the two open outings, contact me via PM if you wish to remain anonymous (which most seem to do). :)

Thanks to a change of my schedules, managed to do 2 outings, with 17 Jul being a double-outing! Hope those of you who joined enjoyed yourselves (Ben, Alf and J) and enjoyed the company. Hope you found your photos worth the aching feet, too, lol!

from 17 Jul...

Nice photos. Which DSLR are you using to shoot those pictures?

Edited by GachiMuchi

@Sun - I use a mix of cameras, depending on outing/mood and need. For those pics shown, D300S for the scenics, S5 Pro for the damsel, D70/IR-mod for the infrared. If not for someone driving that day, I'd usually max out at 2 bodies. :P

@Little - thank you, we waited for the shot, though someone else downed the tree. :)

Apologies, I've been busy. So far the outings have been well subscribed. The last one being full at me + 5 others! I prefer to keep the outing groups small so that we don't attract unwanted attention and it is also easier for us to move follow along.

The remaining available outing is this Sunday, where I still have 2 vacancies

Sun 31 Jul 7.30am meet at Tiong Bahru, cabbing to destination

- MeowP

- J

- S

- L (t.b.c.)

-

-

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@Dark.knight - definitely, just PM me w.r.t. which outing you wish to join, we are indifferent to brands. :)

@Curiousnazrul - the remaining available outing is this Sunday. I'll post the new outings probably later this week, once I firm up my schedule for August.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple of last-minute outings since my last post. Haiz, the weather is wet right now, luckily yesterday we managed to catch some good light in the evening.

Anyway, upcoming outings are :-

Tue 9 Aug 8.00am SBG, macro/nature shoot

- MeowP

- Al

- B.C.

-

-

Sun 14 Aug 6.00pm urban sunsets

- MeowP

- (t.b.c.)

-

-

-

Week of 15 Aug - 21 Aug free, but no confirmed outings yet nor has anyone requested for specific genre/area. Anyone? :)

Hi, like your pics a lot, especially this one.

Do you take with SLR?

Can non-SLR (digital) do the same?

Yes I use a DSLR. And a variety of lenses.

Most of the pictures can be done with a touch of effort, and a handful of extra accessories if you wish to use prosumer cameras (eg Lumix LX series or Canon G-series or Nikon P-series). Things like close-up filters and other filters, depending on what you want. And a sturdy tripod and remote. However, phonecams and point-and-shoot cameras (eg Canon Ixus) will probably not get you that quality of output, especially if you plan to print them out A4 or larger.

The example you picked would probably be beyond most "non-DSLRs", as the exposure time was over a full minute, and would require standing with the tripod in the shallow seawater for some time. :P

Similarly, the one that's obviously taken in a hotel room used a manual tilt-shift lens, so a DSLR is the minimum needed there. Add the star effect too. :D

The group I bring for the outings is a mixed bunch, with a few regulars who turn up from time to time, and the occasional newcomers who join us. Since I opened the outings to members of this forum, it has seen a mix of straight and GLBT folks, with each outing group of 3-5 pax. And so far, everyone seems to have enjoyed themselves.

name='hazilyhasty' timestamp='1313418412' post='290385']Nice photos there. Actually I have ran out of places to go in Singapore. Any tips? p/s: I see some IR photography. Very interesting ;)

Singapore does not run out of places to go/shoot. More often, its the person who runs out of imagination. Look around, even the common postcard scenes have different things everyday. Plus, since you recognise IR photos, can always try shooting IR.

i know nothing about photography but i have an interest in it.. can i just join u guys to learn?

I'd suggest you have a camera at least. Otherwise, it will become "dead" learning, ie, learn nothing. ;)

Here are more of the nature shots from our last few outings.

0262.jpg

0263.jpg

0264.jpg

Edited by MeowPrince

Sometimes I do run dry of creativity - but after countless outings with friends to many places we can't think of anywhere else to go :P

Don't really have an awesome portfolio to show but here are some of my works:

5980893200_9eced4c63c.jpg

5980101872_96d02407e0.jpg

5599293983_0123e3cfcf.jpg

5842932584_0dfed9d38d.jpg

5581073496_8934bbb40f.jpg

Edited by hazilyhasty

@glowingember and WeeJong - there are lots of nice places. And nice pictures can be possible. It is all a matter of light.

@hazilyhasty - there are lots of places EVERYWHERE. If you are serious about it, even the seemingly boring and common Merlion can be shot in a multitude of ways and styles to get many different shots, at least one per week for a whole year!

Rather than post too many photos here, I'll share a few montages of samples from my outings from 2007 to first half 2011.

991.jpg

992.jpg

993.jpg

994.jpg

995.jpg

And some more, to illustrate that Singapore is not without places.

996.jpg

997.jpg

Here are some, that aren't scenery, but more of IRs and the day-to-day common objects around us, some of which you may have just walked past a day or a week ago....

998.jpg

And to show-off the food we encounter along the way (or planned for greedy eating outings!)

981.jpg

And the people (street & candids) that we encounter

982.jpg

So got lots to see and shoot lah. And that is only counting the photo outings in Singapore alone....

Forgot to list the upcoming outings schedule :-

Sun 21 Aug 7.45am - generic walkabout in Punggol area

Mon 22 Aug 6.30am - early morning bridges along Singapore River

Sun 28 Aug 8.00am - shooting water in the west (*experienced shooters only), tripod+boots required

For those keen on joining any of the above outings, just PM me. ;)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I received a couple of queries so far about portraiture too. So I'll answer them here.

Yes, done it before, and yes, I'm still doing it for paying clients.

And yes, I do teach, but on a very limited case-by-case basis.

Lastly, no, I do not like to post-process my photos, hence most of what I post up are as-is, straight out-of-the-camera. The only exceptions are IR and streets, the latter where I desire a particular effect (eg urban acid, blah blah). I also do not add features to my subjects. The star effect is straight out-of-camera. The shadows and lighting in my portraits are also out-of-camera (eg below).

0145.jpg

:)

Come and join us too! Excerpts from last couple of outings (including this morning's)
Too bad I sucks at photo taking and I don't own a camera. :X

How to seek revenge 101: Know him. Befriend him. Make him trust you wholeheartedly. Destroy him. Utterly.

By typing this I fear no one's gonna friend me. :c