Male HQ

Nature Walk In Singapore

abang

Besides clubbing and gay-themed ativities, I am wondering if any amongst us is interested in taking long walks...

Some years ago, I went to the Henderson Wave with my students.

I was definitely an eye-opener for us as it was our very first trip up there.

This was how it was organised:

Assembled at Harbourfront MRT at 5 pm.

Walked towards Mt. Faber and reached the top of the hill within 20 mins.

Keep walking till we reached Henderson Wave.

We snapped heaps of pictures there before descending via the stairs nearest to SAFRA, Mt. Faber.

Anyone interested in such walks?

Great.. pm your contact and we can work something out this weekend... saturday evening perhaps...

Hi, I just PMed you. Catch up soon, ya.

Cheers.

"When You Judge Another, You Do Not Define Them, You Define Your SELF" 

I actually regularly do long walks for photography. Places I recommend are:

- Pulau Ubin (Chek Jawa if you can manage it, if not trekking parts of the island is also good)

- Imbiah Lookout, walked from Cable Car Station down to the beach via the old dragon trail

- Henderson Waves (Try starting from Habourfront MRT and hike UP Marang Trail and then all the way to HortPark. I've never been further than that!)

- Punggol Waterfront Promenade and Lorong Halus Wetlands (Not much to see there, but nice in the evening)

I'd also recommend Botanical Gardens, Changi Boardwalk and Changi Beach Trail (from Changi Point all the way to East Coast! and onto Fort Road.)

I'm hoping to try the MacRitchie Treetop Trail one day.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually regularly do long walks for photography. Places I recommend are:

- Pulau Ubin (Chek Jawa if you can manage it, if not trekking parts of the island is also good)

- Imbiah Lookout, walked from Cable Car Station down to the beach via the old dragon trail

- Henderson Waves (Try starting from Habourfront MRT and hike UP Marang Trail and then all the way to HortPark. I've never been further than that!)

- Punggol Waterfront Promenade and Lorong Halus Wetlands (Not much to see there, but nice in the evening)

I'd also recommend Botanical Gardens, Changi Boardwalk and Changi Beach Trail (from Changi Point all the way to East Coast! and onto Fort Road.)

I'm hoping to try the MacRitchie Treetop Trail one day.

I always interested in exploring nature walks. Have been to chek jawa, henderson waves, treetop etc. So far still haven't check out the punggol waterfront, woodlands waterfront and changi boardwalk.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

Bukit Timah Nature Reserve is always good to pick up, 170+ m high, with some pretty steep path and it's the one and only primary rainforest in Singapore :)

If you like birding (the real bird ok... :P), September/October is pretty good time to hit Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve for you get to see some migratory birds :)

As for the Henderson Waves/Mt Faber route, I would recommend you guys extend further to Kent Ridge Park (and even further, Kent ridge rd along NUS), it's actually part of the "heritage trail" :P It's something about the WW2 site along Pasir Panjang and Kent ridge~

Bukit Timah Nature Reserve is always good to pick up, 170+ m high, with some pretty steep path and it's the one and only primary rainforest in Singapore :)

If you like birding (the real bird ok... :P), September/October is pretty good time to hit Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve for you get to see some migratory birds :)

As for the Henderson Waves/Mt Faber route, I would recommend you guys extend further to Kent Ridge Park (and even further, Kent ridge rd along NUS), it's actually part of the "heritage trail" :P It's something about the WW2 site along Pasir Panjang and Kent ridge~

Been to bt timah and henderson wave, but so far still haven't check out the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve. Heard this place is very nice to walk.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Been to bt timah and henderson wave, but so far still haven't check out the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve. Heard this place is very nice to walk.

It's quite good, though I would've bored with going there :lol: would be great if you could catch a guide :)

So did you get to go down to the intertidal area when you were in Chek Jawa? It's pretty amazing, one of the best intertidal area to be in :)

It's quite good, though I would've bored with going there :lol: would be great if you could catch a guide :)

So did you get to go down to the intertidal area when you were in Chek Jawa? It's pretty amazing, one of the best intertidal area to be in :)

I guess there shld be timing to catch a guide at Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve?! So how long does it need to take to complete the walk?

Went to chek jawa quite long ago liao, dun remember?! But dun think i have went to the intertidal area?

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Guest dark_jedi

I guess there shld be timing to catch a guide at Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve?! So how long does it need to take to complete the walk?

Went to chek jawa quite long ago liao, dun remember?! But dun think i have went to the intertidal area?

for sungei buloh, you can go on your own actually, you would need a guide if you wan more info, otherwise the routes are pretty straightforward... this is not exactly a good time to go as the migration season is already over (sep - mar), there are still birds around, but maybe not so much of them, you might catch the otters or the occasional croc at the bridge if you are lucky...

for chek jawa, the intertidal walk requires you to go down the steps at the boardwalk platform actually, and the tide has receded so that the sea life is exposed, if you were on the boardwalk all the while for your last visit, then maybe not haha...

Will try to visit chek jawa again, and wld try to find time to visit sungei buloh btw sep to mar. :)

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

So far, these are some of the nature walk/parks that I have gone to:

i) Bukit Timah Nature Reserve - Went almost all the way to the furthest end. It's not a very difficult walk but it's recommended to have a walking stick if you have a bad knee. Some of the steps are so tall that you may hurt your knee.

ii) Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve - Went there on a Sunday morning and it was raining. Got a free entrance as the visitors number are low. Normally you need to pay on a Sunday it I'm not wrong. A very wonderful and quiet walk. Cooling and quiet on a rainy day, as if you were on a deserted island.

iii) Kent Ridge Park / Hort Park - I went up from Pepys road. A short walk will link you to Kent ridge park on one side and Hort park on the other. You will enjoy Hort park walk if you are into plants.

iv) Bukit Batok Nature Park - Went there on a Sunday alone as I'm bored. There's really nothing much to see once you've gone to Bukit Timah. I went anyway as it is walking distant from my place.

v) HSBC Treetop walk - Went there first time at about 4pm only to realise that it was too late to complete that walk. ave to turn back halfway as it was getting dark. Went on second time and found it was close on Monday. Went early the third time and completed the approx 10km walk. Advice for this walk is to go early if you want to start from Mac Ritchie.

Next I would like to visit Dairy Farm Nature Park. I have always seen this trail at the junction where Dairy farm road meets BKE and always wanted to go there and have a look.

for sungei buloh, you can go on your own actually, you would need a guide if you wan more info, otherwise the routes are pretty straightforward... this is not exactly a good time to go as the migration season is already over (sep - mar), there are still birds around, but maybe not so much of them, you might catch the otters or the occasional croc at the bridge if you are lucky...

for chek jawa, the intertidal walk requires you to go down the steps at the boardwalk platform actually, and the tide has receded so that the sea life is exposed, if you were on the boardwalk all the while for your last visit, then maybe not haha...

Must be a nature walk pro! :)

Reason I suggested for a guided walk in SBWR is mainly because people tend to not know what wetlands really are, and so may not be able to appreciate mangroves, that's unless you study biology :)

Intertidal walk in Chek Jawa is great, but be prepared to dip yourself into ~6 inch depth of mud :lol: Will need to contact National Parks people to arrange for the intertidal walk though~

Edited by Lovensick

So far, these are some of the nature walk/parks that I have gone to:

i) Bukit Timah Nature Reserve - Went almost all the way to the furthest end. It's not a very difficult walk but it's recommended to have a walking stick if you have a bad knee. Some of the steps are so tall that you may hurt your knee.

ii) Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve - Went there on a Sunday morning and it was raining. Got a free entrance as the visitors number are low. Normally you need to pay on a Sunday it I'm not wrong. A very wonderful and quiet walk. Cooling and quiet on a rainy day, as if you were on a deserted island.

iii) Kent Ridge Park / Hort Park - I went up from Pepys road. A short walk will link you to Kent ridge park on one side and Hort park on the other. You will enjoy Hort park walk if you are into plants.

iv) Bukit Batok Nature Park - Went there on a Sunday alone as I'm bored. There's really nothing much to see once you've gone to Bukit Timah. I went anyway as it is walking distant from my place.

v) HSBC Treetop walk - Went there first time at about 4pm only to realise that it was too late to complete that walk. ave to turn back halfway as it was getting dark. Went on second time and found it was close on Monday. Went early the third time and completed the approx 10km walk. Advice for this walk is to go early if you want to start from Mac Ritchie.

Next I would like to visit Dairy Farm Nature Park. I have always seen this trail at the junction where Dairy farm road meets BKE and always wanted to go there and have a look.

Treetop walk really quite a long distance if u start from mac ritchie, cos the Treetop walk itself is also quite a distance. But the bridge at the treetop the scenery very nice, indeed worth the walk into the treetop.

Bukit Batok Nature Park really nothing much to see, doesn't consider nature walk, more like a heartlander park.

As for the Dairy Farm Nature Park, i went there before. Actually u can start from bt panjang HDB flat where the BKE exit to bt panjang is. If u start from there u can walk all the way to the Dairy Farm Nature Park, and i find this route not many pple, quite a deserted walk and the road sometimes cover with mud and fallen trees. Also find the sighboard not very clear, dun know the road will lead to where?

Edited by alien

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Treetop walk really quite a long distance if u start from mac ritchie, cos the Treetop walk itself is also quite a distance. But the bridge at the treetop the scenery very nice, indeed worth the walk into the treetop.

Bukit Batok Nature Park really nothing much to see, doesn't consider nature walk, more like a heartlander park.

As for the Dairy Farm Nature Park, i went there before. Actually u can start from bt panjang HDB flat where the BKE exit to bt panjang is. If u start from there u can walk all the way to the Dairy Farm Nature Park, and i find this route not many pple, quite a deserted walk and the road sometimes cover with mud and fallen trees. Also find the sighboard not very clear, dun know the road will lead to where?

Forest streams in Bukit Timah Nature Reserve... :lol:

Forest streams in Bukit Timah Nature Reserve... :lol:

Really? But i think the road in Dairy Farm Nature Park shld lead to bt timah nature reserve. But the road seems to be very eerie, so didn't continue to walk. :P

I am now waiting for the old KTM 26km route to reopen again, and this time with decent pavement. The 26km stretch really quite a nice walk.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Really? But i think the road in Dairy Farm Nature Park shld lead to bt timah nature reserve. But the road seems to be very eerie, so didn't continue to walk. :P

I am now waiting for the old KTM 26km route to reopen again, and this time with decent pavement. The 26km stretch really quite a nice walk.

Rarely goes to the West side, would be nice if we could visit the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve, as well as the Dairy Farm Nature Park! (:

Instagram: vodkabaker

http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/ajaxLib/download.php?file=L2RhdGEvdmhvc3RzL3d3dy5ucGFya3MuZ292LnNnL2h0bWwvY21zL2ltYWdlcy9wYXJrX2ltYWdlcy9QYXJrTWFwcy84NS9kYWlyeV9mYXJtX21hcF8xMjgzMzM3MTUyLmpwZw==

Well yeah the eerie road will lead you to Wallace Center http://www.well.sg/, kind of hidden eh? :P

Actually i was refering the Belukar Track direction, tht rd seems errie. I have explore the rest of the route, from carpark B to wallace ctr to s'pore quarry.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Guest GuestListener

Walked the Dairy farm nature park route the other evening. It's not a long walk - about 90 minutes if you're lazy. Was interesting to see the stone quarry at one end - the platform they built.

Walked the Dairy farm nature park route the other evening. It's not a long walk - about 90 minutes if you're lazy. Was interesting to see the stone quarry at one end - the platform they built.

Dairy farm nature park route indeed not a long walk. Can finished the walk less than 1.5 hrs.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

A pity that a lot of our army training areas have been demolished one by one over the years. Nanyang Hill used to be beautiful but now occupited by NTU. The only "beautiful" areas left are restricted zones, i.e. Peng Kang Hill and Tekong hills.

Still, I managed to get my students (in their late teens) to hike 4 hours starting from Bt Timah Hill eastward via Rifle Range Rd and into the Tree Top Walk and out through Island Country Club (Upper Thomson Road). An alternative hiking route is northward, i.e. from Bt Timah Hill along the pipelines to Mandai Road. My initial intention was to cut through the area bound by Lorong Asrama, Jalan Ulu Sembawang and Seletar Expressway. To my horror, this whole area is out-of-bounds and taken over by Mindef. Still, I sneaked in, hoping to revisit Hill 265 ... only to my utter dismay to find that dense vegetation have overrun the whole area. What used to be Hill 265 has been reduced to a molehill. Needless to say, the panoramic view from its summit to see the stretch beyond the Johore Straits and JB cannot be realised any more.

Now my wish is to venture to the dilapidated and obscure Shinto shrine (abandoned just after the Japanese Occupation) at MacRitchie Reservoir. There is no map to it and I do not know the way. Anyone keen to take me there if you have been to it?

Where is tekong hill?? I'm keen on the shrine, didn't find it the last time I went Macritchie...

The Syonan (Shonan) Shinto Shrine or Syonan Jinja, was built by British prisoners-of-war and the Japanese Army off Adam Road inside the MacRitchie Reservoir area. It was officially unveiled on 10 September 1942. However, the Shrine was demolished immediately after the Japanese surrender with the return of the British forces in 1945. Only remnants of a font and foundation remain. In September 2002, the National Heritage Board marked the shrine's location as a historic site.

LOCATION OF SHRINE

N1 20.850 E103 48.834, measured at the entrance to the shrine, at the base of the stairs.

HOW TO GET TO THE SYONAN JINJA

http://www.pbase.com/zerod/shinto

OTHER WEBSITES

http://www.spi.com.sg/spi_files/shinto_shrine/Syonan_Jinja.htm

http://heritagetrails.sg/content/610/Syonan_Jinja.html

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_236_2004-12-24.html

The Syonan (Shonan) Shinto Shrine or Syonan Jinja, was built by British prisoners-of-war and the Japanese Army off Adam Road inside the MacRitchie Reservoir area. It was officially unveiled on 10 September 1942. However, the Shrine was demolished immediately after the Japanese surrender with the return of the British forces in 1945. Only remnants of a font and foundation remain. In September 2002, the National Heritage Board marked the shrine's location as a historic site. LOCATION OF SHRINE N1 20.850 E103 48.834, measured at the entrance to the shrine, at the base of the stairs. HOW TO GET TO THE SYONAN JINJA http://www.pbase.com/zerod/shinto OTHER WEBSITES http://www.spi.com.sg/spi_files/shinto_shrine/Syonan_Jinja.htm http://heritagetrails.sg/content/610/Syonan_Jinja.html http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_236_2004-12-24.html

Sounds really interesting! Makes me want to go see it for myself. ;)

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

Sounds quite an adventurous shrine walk?! And looks like not easy to find the shrine, and u might end up lost in MacRitchie!

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

The Syonan (Shonan) Shinto Shrine or Syonan Jinja, was built by British prisoners-of-war and the Japanese Army off Adam Road inside the MacRitchie Reservoir area. It was officially unveiled on 10 September 1942. However, the Shrine was demolished immediately after the Japanese surrender with the return of the British forces in 1945. Only remnants of a font and foundation remain. In September 2002, the National Heritage Board marked the shrine's location as a historic site.

LOCATION OF SHRINE

N1 20.850 E103 48.834, measured at the entrance to the shrine, at the base of the stairs.

HOW TO GET TO THE SYONAN JINJA

http://www.pbase.com/zerod/shinto

OTHER WEBSITES

http://www.spi.com.sg/spi_files/shinto_shrine/Syonan_Jinja.htm

http://heritagetrails.sg/content/610/Syonan_Jinja.html

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_236_2004-12-24.html

Cool thanks....gotta do some homework before going down...

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Found out tht there is a route somewhere along rifle range rd which u can hike to macritchie reservior, distance is abt 10km one way. Wonder anyone taken tht route before? Curious to know wht u will see along the route?

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Found out tht there is a route somewhere along rifle range rd which u can hike to macritchie reservior, distance is abt 10km one way. Wonder anyone taken tht route before? Curious to know wht u will see along the route?

after rifle range road walk further down turn right into rifle range link. abt 680 metres or so, you will see jelutong tower. climb up to have a good view of the reserve. from there there is a three way split. one will lead u to the ranger station (and treetop walk), the other one will lead you to the mac main entrance and the last one to sime road that joins lornie rd. i think at the tower there, there is a sign post to show u the way.

nothing much to see actually. short trees or shrubs lined the sides of the trek. occasional monkeys. perhaps wild boars? scenic views would be the jelutong tower and treetop walk.

after the tower, on the way to the mac entrance, if you take the jering trial, it goes by the water edge of reservoir, very scenic.

oh yes, u can see the occasional topless joggers too. but mostly ang mos.

Edited by trxsuspension

after rifle range road walk further down turn right into rifle range link. abt 680 metres or so, you will see jelutong tower. climb up to have a good view of the reserve. from there there is a three way split. one will lead u to the ranger station (and treetop walk), the other one will lead you to the mac main entrance and the last one to sime road that joins lornie rd. i think at the tower there, there is a sign post to show u the way.

nothing much to see actually. short trees or shrubs lined the sides of the trek. occasional monkeys. perhaps wild boars? scenic views would be the jelutong tower and treetop walk.

after the tower, on the way to the mac entrance, if you take the jering trial, it goes by the water edge of reservoir, very scenic.

oh yes, u can see the occasional topless joggers too. but mostly ang mos.

After rifle range road? U mean the end of rifle range rd somewhere near the ST company?

So the route from the tower to mac really take you about 10km? Thinking wld it be safe for such long walk in the forest? Dun know will encounter any animals, like u said wild boar or even snakes!

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

After rifle range road? U mean the end of rifle range rd somewhere near the ST company?

So the route from the tower to mac really take you about 10km? Thinking wld it be safe for such long walk in the forest? Dun know will encounter any animals, like u said wild boar or even snakes!

yes to the first qn.

not too sure abt the distance from tower to mac. ive trek that area many times, ...so far, nothing happened. only encountered monkeys and squirrels. i only encountered wild boars at lower pirece.

10km is a long walk but not horribly long... Singapore's forest is one of safest to trek (cellphone signals, lack of big mammals) and I think the trail as stated is rather well maintained by the NParks. Wild boars don't really attack, and snakes (venomous) encounter is rare especially along a maintained trail. Just apply your some survival knowledge when you see one (back away slowly, do not attack, take photo of the snake that bitten you if you're so suay etc). Other animals are generally non-issue (maybe except bee and the ever annoying macaque), in fact the biggest threat in forest is tree fall so watch above your head.

Drink lotsa water and enjoy the walk.

Forest walk indeed quite safe but if the trek route and area is often frequent by pple, eg like the route path in bt timah nature. As for the route path from bt timah to mac, since it is a 10 km walk, wonder how often there are pple which walk thru this path?!

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Forest walk indeed quite safe but if the trek route and area is often frequent by pple, eg like the route path in bt timah nature. As for the route path from bt timah to mac, since it is a 10 km walk, wonder how often there are pple which walk thru this path?!

from the ST coy to mac (via tower) is abt 6.6km if u take the trail along the water edge. weekends u can see joggers. the trek is frequent by pple.