Male HQ

Body Building Protein & Health Supplements Discussion (Compiled)

Tight Ass

Guest cute-horny

Sorry, wrong answer. Please do your revision promptly, take more brain food such as cashew nuts and wash your ass clean before sitting for the quiz again.

Even if I have all the free time --> I won't be bothered with your retard-ass "quiz"!

Guest j.pokkemon

Even if I have all the free time --> I won't be bothered with your retard-ass "quiz"!

hmm... I heard from a chinese accupuncturist that beans tend to "block" the "channels" in your body and can affect the efficacy of accupuncture... especially GM beans...

I will first state that I love beans. Soy milk with red beans is one of my favourite indulgences.

However, I have read in various places that taking beans increases the female hormone estrogen level.

I'm into body building these days, so I have become quite cautious in having any beans at all. I need all the testosterone I can naturally make.

Is this true? Is there any inverse relationship between estrogen and testosterone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytoestrogens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean

"A study published in April 2008 concluded that soy food intake has an inverse association with sperm concentration in fertility-deficient men. The same study found that soy intake does not affect sperm motility, morphology, or ejaculate volume."

The inverse association part is confusing.

I will first state that I love beans. Soy milk with red beans is one of my favourite indulgences.

However, I have read in various places that taking beans increases the female hormone estrogen level.

I'm into body building these days, so I have become quite cautious in having any beans at all. I need all the testosterone I can naturally make.

Is this true? Is there any inverse relationship between estrogen and testosterone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytoestrogens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean

"A study published in April 2008 concluded that soy food intake has an inverse association with sperm concentration in fertility-deficient men. The same study found that soy intake does not affect sperm motility, morphology, or ejaculate volume."

The inverse association part is confusing.

If you want more testosterone, can buy some "horny goat weed" (Ying Yang Huo) from any chinese medical hall, mix it with wolf berries and pseudo ginseng, this concoction will increase your male hormone levels. but side effects might be you may get lots of erections when u r at the gym straining those muscles :thumb:

Serve my fellow bottom men well !

Guest cheena

If you want more testosterone, can buy some "horny goat weed" (Ying Yang Huo) from any chinese medical hall, mix it with wolf berries and pseudo ginseng, this concoction will increase your male hormone levels. but side effects might be you may get lots of erections when u r at the gym straining those muscles :thumb:

How do you write (Ying Yang Huo) in chinese or "horny goat weed"? I like to try that but can please be more specific when I tell the medical hall salesman.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
Guest just me

just to share with you that I've started taking creatine powder for coming 2 months now & there seems some improvement in more defined & toned muscles development especially on my abs area. I'm using nultrifirst.

As far as I know there are 2 types of Creatine product in the market .. Creatine Monohydrate and Creatine Ethyl Ester. The supplement manufacturers claim that the last one absorps faster to your body and provide more energy throughout the workout, although so far I've only been using Creatine Monohydrate simply because it is cheaper ($20 less than Ethyl Ester for 1 kg powder)

If one dislikes the after taste of Ethyl Ester, I'd recommend to buy it in capsule format - slightly more expensive though.

Hope this helps.

Thanks you guys for the advise. Yeah I heard about the creatine ester too and the good thing about it is there is no loading phase. Anyways, I heard so much good things about it and I think it is one of very few supplements that actually works. I will probably try CellMass by BSN....but it is kinda ex.

I had been using creatine for many years. I do agree it does help in gaining strength and bulk. You need to cycle it through your training. I stopped using creatine because I find that creatine causes water retention. Therefore, I felt that the muscles was not as hard. I'm going for hard define tone muscle. When I stop using creatine, although I become smaller but i feel that my muscles are harder.

When I stop using creatine, although I become smaller but i feel that my muscles are harder.

Uufortunately, thats the side effect of using creatine since it requires water to be transported through the membrane into muscle cells hence the water retention outcome. But I guess the benefits outweigh the side effects. For me I am going for increase strength and muscle mass. So once I am off creatine, I hope to retain the new found strength.

i use green magnitude by controlled labs. pretty satisfied with the results and it tastes good too.

but i gonna agree that creatine makes you big and not hard and once you stop consuming it, you will lose the size very fast.

i use green magnitude by controlled labs. pretty satisfied with the results and it tastes good too.

but i gonna agree that creatine makes you big and not hard and once you stop consuming it, you will lose the size very fast.

Thanks for the recommendation. Now its between CellMass and Creatine by Higher Power. I guess any reputable brands would work since it is the same chemical whether its esterified or not. :)

Uufortunately, thats the side effect of using creatine since it requires water to be transported through the membrane into muscle cells hence the water retention outcome. But I guess the benefits outweigh the side effects. For me I am going for increase strength and muscle mass. So once I am off creatine, I hope to retain the new found strength.

The water retention is not an side effect. I just want to let you know that you will gain strength and size. Not forgeting your waist will grow slightly bigger. But your muscle will not be as hard or I will say it become big and soft. You can decide what kind of body you want to achieve. Big mass or lean tone hard muscle.

Also, here are effects when off creatine. First, you will lose strength after stopping. Gradually you will be smaller size. But sad to say your remaining muscle will still be soft. It's not easy to get back to lean tone hard muscle unless you do lots of cardio to cut down again. Just some info for your decision because I tried before. In the end , I still prefer myself to have a lean tone cut body than having bulky mass. Will be a head turner if one has define hard muscle coupled with a bronze tan skin :yuk:

For now creatine is out of my supplement list. I'm only using CytoSports muscle milk whey protein, MHP A-bomb and MHP T-bomb. Both MHP supplement are anabolic and testerone booster :rolleyes:

Edited by ixmog

Just checked on nutritionpark.com site and CellMass is out of stock! Must be that good huh. Its $73.90 for a bottle. Yikes! Anyone here know of where to get it cheaper? Thanks.

you may wanna check out the supplement warehouse.

http://www.tsw.com.sg/

they deliver on time but slightly expensive but in stock.

If you can't wait, just buy lor.

The water retention is not an side effect. I just want to let you know that you will gain strength and size. Not forgeting your waist will grow slightly bigger. But your muscle will not be as hard or I will say it become big and soft. You can decide what kind of body you want to achieve. Big mass or lean tone hard muscle.

Also, here are effects when off creatine. First, you will lose strength after stopping. Gradually you will be smaller size. But sad to say your remaining muscle will still be soft. It's not easy to get back to lean tone hard muscle unless you do lots of cardio to cut down again. Just some info for your decision because I tried before. In the end , I still prefer myself to have a lean tone cut body than having bulky mass. Will be a head turner if one has define hard muscle coupled with a bronze tan skin :yuk:

For now creatine is out of my supplement list. I'm only using CytoSports muscle milk whey protein, MHP A-bomb and MHP T-bomb. Both MHP supplement are anabolic and testerone booster :rolleyes:

hmm..i agree that you do lose a bit of strength, but you will still be stronger than you were b4 u started using creatine. During the one month on creatine, take the opportunity to do heavier weights becoz of the energy boost, this should give ur muscle some growth so even when u lose the water, you will still be bigger. I never experience any significant loss in muscle density/hardness, but definitely in size.

but having said this, creatine gives affects everyone differently, so just try and see if it works. Another side benefit, recent studies have shown a small teaspoonful of creatine in the morning can help concentration and brain power during the day.

but having said this, creatine gives affects everyone differently, so just try and see if it works. Another side benefit, recent studies have shown a small teaspoonful of creatine in the morning can help concentration and brain power during the day.

Really...thats a nice "side benefit" of creatine. So need to get it now hehe

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I just did a random selection on the over 600 pages in this forum and chanced upon this thread. Think I’m kinda obliged to give a reply to this thread after briefly scanning through the comments, given I have knowledge on supplements and nutrition to a certain extent. Here’s my take:

1. Nutrition experts nowadays recommend up to 9 to 13 servings of fruits and vegetables DAILY to provide the amount of vitamins and minerals for optimal health. Governmental health agencies across the world who actually still recommend 2 to 4 servings are obviously not updating themselves of the latest information and then later earn lots of bucks from the patients through hospitals (major deception, IMO)

Here’s the thing: It’s obvious you may not be able to find yourself to eat 9 to 13 servings in a day. Best thing is to make your own juices, cos you will be able to shove in a lot of fruits/vege into the juicer to produce a glass of juice w/o adding water, like many of those juice sellers do and then charge you a ‘bomb’ for it.

2. Potassium, like many other minerals, are micronutrients, which the term is obviously saying that you do not need such nutrients in large quantities, but they are needed. If your minerals are sourced via naturally occurring foods, you would not have to worry about overconsumption. Either your stomach tells you to stop (cos you are feeling bloated/full already), or your body’s own mechanism and blood will automatically flush the excess out. Symptoms that occur due to excessive mineral intake are not illnesses, you cut down on the intake, know where your limits are and the symptoms will go away.

3. As mentioned in point 1, it is obvious going by expert recommendations, you will find it a problem to consume this much of food in a day. And if you find yourself too busy to even make juices, best thing would be supplements. And not just any supplements. Like other forummers mentioned, supplements can be widely categorized into two, based on their source of ingredients, i.e. NATURAL or SYNTHETIC sources.

I once read a recent book on exposing the truth of supplements stating that over 90% of the supplement brands worldwide produce such products with SYNTHETIC sources. Synthetic means these nutrients are not from naturally occurring food sources, but rather from non-edible sources, which may possess chemical structures similar to that of the nutrient molecules, and scientifically altered to look alike. Generally, nutrient absorption from synthetic supplements is not even 10%! The remainder is nothing but fillers. One good way of detecting synthetic supplements for the layman is by throwing it into a glass of clear water. Synthetic stuff usually do not dissolve easily in 15 minutes (this does not apply to all but majority display this characteristic) and even if they do, they usually leach out stuff which may eventually cloud the water clarity.

NATURAL sources should mainly come from CERTIFIED ORGANIC farms. It is best if these farms belong to the manufacturer personally, as the likelihood of good quality control is higher. Production of supplements from sources like these can be actually very simple. Fruits such as acerola cherries, grapes, pomegranates, etc are simply thrown into the machine and reduced to a pure concentrate by filtering out the water and fibre, spray-dried to become powder and mixed at identified ratios to give the best in providing health benefits known to date. I have been taking supplements from a manufacturer/company that produces supplements this way and has 4 certified organic supplements of their own. Till date, Euromonitor, a reliable global marketing report, has specified this company as the only global brand to have their own farms.

The last thing you wanna know about supplements is the complete background of the manufacturer and the sources of ingredients. As consumers, I believe that everyone should practice knowing this, lest you wanna inflict damage on yourselves. Get reports from reliable authorities or sources.

4. The last thing I wanna say is something that may shock people, especially Asians. Cut down, or best, stay away from white rice. The problem with white rice is that it has been ‘polished’ off the necessary B vitamins (which are in the kernels) that are vital to help release energy from carbohydrates from the ‘white’ of the rice. It’s therefore no wonder that ppl who consume a lot of rice but hardly do any very laborious work fatten up easily, cos the unused carbs would turn into fats eventually. And on top of that, carbs which do not turn into fats would eventually turn into glucose, a good reason for increasing blood sugar levels, i.e. diabetes. In terms of balanced nutrition, white rice is smth best to avoid. Westerners do not consume rice. It is impossible that our ancestors of the Stone Age who did not even know how to plant paddy would eat rice as well. Owning vast paddy fields are a symbol of wealth back then (but you would notice that those who are affluent back then are the ones who get a lot of chronic diseases). Another reason why rice is widely consumed in Asia, is that it is easily swallowed w/o so much of chewing on it, thus time-saving and ppl then were doing much more laborious work to utilize d carbs from rice. You can still get carbohydrates from foods like potatoes, yam, tapioca and sweet potatoes, which not only contain high carbs, but also necessary vitamins and minerals to complement them. Nutrients do not function independently, they are dependent on each other. Fyi, potatoes are high-carb sources that are known to have high vitamin C content.

And ofcos, not juz the nutrients to ensure optimal health, but positive emotions, exercise and sufficient rest/sleep are important as well. Live well, guys!

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

Goy what supplements is for building and recovery of muscle? Can intro some? Thanks

Protein, obviously. It is the major component.

The major function of protein is to build new cells and repair damaged cells.

Every muscle in the body is made up of cells.

Major food sources of protein are meat, fish, beans, eggs and dairy products.

But if you look closely at this list, one may not be able to chew on lots of them at one time.

There are two types of protein sources, "complete" and "incomplete".

"Complete" protein sources are sources that provide all the 9 essential amino acids (which cannot be synthesized by the body itself. Meats and fish are usually good "complete" protein sources, but the downside is they come with unnecessary "bad" fats and "bad" cholesterol. Plus, if the animals were not slaughtered properly, residue toxins may cause harm to the eater as well.

"Incomplete" protein sources are usually plant protein sources, but do not provide the complete set of all 9 essential amino acids. Soybeans, however, are an exception.

NOTE: There are altogether 22 amino acids, of which 13 are able to be synthesized by the body, thus the remaining 9 are ESSENTIAL to be taken via consumption.

If you are looking at sourcing for protein supplements, best source for good quality protein, especially soy protein isolate. The good thing about soy protein isolate is that:

1. It is low in calories.
  2. It provides all 9 essential amino acids.
  3. It contains naturaly phytochemicals, i.e. isoflavones, that are responsible in reducing "bad" cholesterol.
  4. It is low in fat and cholesterol.
  5. It does not contain purine, which is attributed to causing gout.

A good guide in choosing soy protein isolate supplements would be to check out its PDCAAS (Protein Digestability Corrected Amino Acid Score), which is a WHO-endorsed method of evaluating the digestability of protein sources. PDCAAS score ranges from 0.0 to 1.0, with the latter being the highest and indicating that such a protein source is easiest to digest. Based on conventional protein food sources, you would notice that they are usually not easy to digest, i.e. unable to be digested within a short period, esp some individuals couldn't consume dairy products due to lactose intolerance. Thus, a protein supplement with a PDCAAS score of 1.0 would be desired.

Having said all above, consuming only protein supplements does not mean you will be able to build up your muslces upon consumption. It is a balance of all things. You will still need the essential B vitamins to break down the protein into amino acids, "good" fats to form healthy cell membranes, other necessary vitamins and minerals, plus exercise to pump up your muscles. Sleep is important as well. Otherwise, the less sleep you get, the more damage is done on your existing healthy cells and much of the protein will go to repair this damaged lot instead of building up your desired muscles.

PM me if you are keen to know more details.

Have a nice day!

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Love myself to be chub...

Dear all~

I m now having my work out after working, about 2-3 times per week. the effect is not so satisfactory, thus I m thinking to take some supplement, Anyone has an idea?

Since I am new to this matter, might need to seek an advise from a muscle builder...

Em... try to know my current profile:

176cm, 79.5kg, BWH = 39, 37, 39

My target is to reach 85kg. :oops:

Should I take weight gain powder (like Appeton weight gain or those offered in GNC/ NutriFirst) or Protein powder?

Dear all~

I m now having my work out after working, about 2-3 times per week. the effect is not so satisfactory, thus I m thinking to take some supplement, Anyone has an idea?

Since I am new to this matter, might need to seek an advise from a muscle builder...

Em... try to know my current profile:

176cm, 79.5kg, BWH = 39, 37, 39

My target is to reach 85kg. :oops:

Should I take weight gain powder (like Appeton weight gain or those offered in GNC/ NutriFirst) or Protein powder?

You need to up your calorie intake as well. :)

Love. 

Guest unsaturated fat

Many of such supplement are available at Mustafa with good deal.

wow~

thanks, it will be another option~

but I am still thinking to buy protein powder or weight gain powder... :oops: dilemma...

Guest not yet a chub

You need to up your calorie intake as well. :)

Wow, I used to eat a lot, sometime I took double dinner when I feel like to...

:oops: Feel like wanna become chub... (Am I sick? I think it is a kind of fetish also...)

It took me at least 4 years for me to grow to 79.5kg...

I also wanted to gain some weight...

tried to take mass gainer, end up when I had it for breakfast, I couldn't eat lunch! LOL... I feel so full and the powder is so filling!

Now that I am working I might wanna try again since I normally don't take breakfast anyways (unhealthy I know but no appetite) and take mass gainer, hopefully it will help me to bulk up? What you think? I have extremely high metabolism and after having lunch at 1pm, I will be hungry by 6pm...

Calculate how many grams of protein you need per day first using this online calculator!!!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calpro.htm

wa, there is a formula also a?

which means for me, I'll need to consume about 260g of protein? But this 260g of protein is referring to 1 day basic or... ?

Hm... If I eat double cheese burger (25g of protein each), then I'll need eat 10 :wacko:

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 double cheeseburger (173.0 g)

Amount Per Serving

Calories 490Calories from Fat 234

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 26.0g40%

Saturated Fat 12.0g60%

Cholesterol 85mg28%

Sodium 1220mg51%

Total Carbohydrates 38.0g13%

Dietary Fiber 2.0g8%

Sugars 8.0g

Protein 25.0g

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-mcdonalds-double-cheeseburger-i20

I also wanted to gain some weight...

tried to take mass gainer, end up when I had it for breakfast, I couldn't eat lunch! LOL... I feel so full and the powder is so filling!

Now that I am working I might wanna try again since I normally don't take breakfast anyways (unhealthy I know but no appetite) and take mass gainer, hopefully it will help me to bulk up? What you think? I have extremely high metabolism and after having lunch at 1pm, I will be hungry by 6pm...

Oh, I never know the protein powder is so filling...

Still seeking an advice from pro, how to consume correctly...

Just to share my daily diet:

Breakfast: Instant cereal, 2 slides of bread serve with cheese and ham, or canned tuna. Or Old Chang Kee...

Lunch: Mixed rice or McD value meal

Dinner: Mixed rice or 2 nos of cheese burger

Supper: Milk shake mixed with ice cream, bread or pao

:oops: I am thinking to get more input.. too..

Hi all,

I wanted to build up muscle using supplement, protein powder, etc. But apparently I ever had kidney stone years ago. And I heard that this kind of protein is not recommended for people with kidney problem.

Any body experience the same problem?

What is the better and safer option for protein to build muscle to support the exercise?

Any recommended product?

And lastly, it would be great if somebody can give a link / web page to a trusted resource regarding this matter.

Anybody share the experience or advice is appreciated. Thanks :-)

What is Weight Gainer?

is Weight Gainer and Protein Supplement the same?

Just eating Weight Gainer can make you put on weight? fat or muscles?

I thought you got to really work it out in the gym and need this stuff to feed and repair and grow your muscles?

If really work yourself well in the gym, I am sure you will be dead tired and all these supplement will be hardly enough for you, how to feel filling?

As for my own objective, no point get so massive when most of it is hidden by fats. Burn them off first, especially my one pac.

Guest need doctor

Hi all,

I wanted to build up muscle using supplement, protein powder, etc. But apparently I ever had kidney stone years ago. And I heard that this kind of protein is not recommended for people with kidney problem.

Any body experience the same problem?

What is the better and safer option for protein to build muscle to support the exercise?

Any recommended product?

And lastly, it would be great if somebody can give a link / web page to a trusted resource regarding this matter.

Anybody share the experience or advice is appreciated. Thanks :-)

Em, your case is much more serious dude... need to seek advice from Doctor alr...

• 3 weeks later...

Nutrilite. Old brand since 1934, focusing on mainly plant-based ingredients with their own certified organic farms. A pioneer in research field of phytonutrients or phytochemicals, which have today been proven to be strong antioxidants alongside existing known vitamins and minerals.

The supplements are not the key point here as Nutrilite also emphasizes on a balanced diet, positive emotions, sufficient rest n exercise, with supplements playing the role of just filling in the nutritional gap in today's dietary practices.

Edited by qedcwc

Guest rbubish

Nutrilite. Old brand since 1934, focusing on mainly plant-based ingredients with their own certified organic farms. A pioneer in research field of phytonutrients or phytochemicals, which have today been proven to be strong antioxidants alongside existing known vitamins and minerals.

The supplements are not the key point here as Nutrilite also emphasizes on a balanced diet, positive emotions, sufficient rest n exercise, with supplements playing the role of just filling in the nutritional gap in today's dietary practices.

MLM Rubbish.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.