Male HQ

Body Building Protein & Health Supplements Discussion (Compiled)

Tight Ass

Guest Guest

(continued from last post)

Taste:

When in doubt, always choose the cookies-and-cream flavour of any brand. It tends to be easier on the tongue.

The chocolate taste of some brands taste like calcium powder (UGH!)

The strawberry taste of some brands taste like strawberry syrup or Dhasedyl cough mixture (UGH!!!)

You don't want to buy a protein powder only to find that it tastes like shit and you don't want to finish off the entire tub.

I bought my whey protein from this website www.supplementshop.com.sg . Used to buy from bodybuilding.com but shipping can cost alot end up one tub is around $90-$100 with all in.

now I'm using Myofusion 5lb only at $72 from this brand Gaspari Nutrition. Taste wise can say is the best tasting I tried so far.

Hmm. Actually protein shakes is one of the many factors of bulking up. While its true fast-acting protein is neccessary, don't be too obsessed on it. Just get one which suits your pocket n taste. I tries afew brands; Ultimate nutrition, optimum nutrition, iso sensation 93, dymatize whey. The only difference is the taste n the hole it burns in your pocket. Besides whey, u should concentrate on your diet, daily nutrition, proper training techniques, sufficient rest. All these are essential in bulking up. Whey alone will only take u to a certain extent. Read up more, experiment, n basically listen to your own body. Cheers n good luck! :))

Ohh yea. Just a side note, unless u have alot of cash to burn, i'll suggest u stay away from gnc, etc. There's alot of trusted online sites which sells at a much affordable price like nutrifirst,nutritionpark,etc. I rushed into getting my 1st whey supplement at gnc only to realize the amount of money i could have saved up by purchasing online.

Guest Guest
now I'm using Myofusion 5lb only at $72 from this brand Gaspari Nutrition. Taste wise can say is the best tasting I tried so far.

I've tried a 5 lb tub of Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion vanilla flavour before. Not bad, tastes very 'milky' and the texture of the drink feels more like a creamy milkshake without the sugar (in comparison to most other brands which don't leave a milky or milkshakey aftertaste). Good if you like milkshakey textures.

Many of those protein shakes packaged in big jars and bottles contain a number of so-called permitted additives and colourings which give the super sweet taste and glaringly artificial colour. A check on Wikipedia itself revealed them to be carcinogenic in the long term. Ever since I discovered this, I have completely stayed away from them if i found any such names on the labelling.

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

Guest Guest

Many of those protein shakes packaged in big jars and bottles contain a number of so-called permitted additives and colourings which give the super sweet taste and glaringly artificial colour. A check on Wikipedia itself revealed them to be carcinogenic in the long term. Ever since I discovered this, I have completely stayed away from them if i found any such names on the labelling.

No wonder. I heard of this avid bodybuilder died of cancer of the bone? Is there such a thing? Is it due to the coloring.

I dio weights & I used to take protein powder. No matter how many flavour i tried(esp like caramel & banana flavoured ones),

I still dun like the taste(slightly better if i blend it with fresh strawberries, bananas, ice cream).I had this habit of buying huge containers, could not finish & left for mths after expiry date. What a waste. Now I just eat as much food as possible, 6 to 8 eggs without the yolk, chicken, fish, milk. I also develop cravings for chocolate, cakes, ice cream(which is no good). So I m muscular but fat at the same time.

Guest Guest

best to consume whey protein if u are working out. timing will be immediately after working out.

note that protein does not help you to build muscles literally. it helps your tissues to recover faster, resulting in muscle growth.

I used Isopure - a brand which is not even heard of here, but very popular in the US since its pure 100% ion exchange whey, lactose free, no carb, with a serving of of 50g of protein per scoop (50ML size) and with all the BCAA you need

Two scoop daily is sufficient. Each tub last about 2mths, because you should be consuming natural protein like chicken , fish, egg white and milk

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/nb/lowcarb.html

Alternatively try Elite Dymatize Whey. Also 100% pure ion exchange whey.

As far Dymatize BCAA - that comes in cornflower blue colour tablets, is supposedly one of the best in the market, apart from Upslab 's powdered form

http://www.dymatize.com/products/protein/74/iso-100/

Guest Guest

Will protein shake result in break outs?

Very heaty & taxing on your kidney. Nedd to drink a lot of water.

Need to try in small portion 1st then increase the dosage

I kenna pimples around the mouth & nose area.

I have this gal who took chocolate flavoured one kenna fever & was sick for a few days.

No wonder. I heard of this avid bodybuilder died of cancer of the bone? Is there such a thing? Is it due to the coloring.

I dio weights & I used to take protein powder. No matter how many flavour i tried(esp like caramel & banana flavoured ones),

I still dun like the taste(slightly better if i blend it with fresh strawberries, bananas, ice cream).I had this habit of buying huge containers, could not finish & left for mths after expiry date. What a waste. Now I just eat as much food as possible, 6 to 8 eggs without the yolk, chicken, fish, milk. I also develop cravings for chocolate, cakes, ice cream(which is no good). So I m muscular but fat at the same time.

I used to take this brand (http://www.gnc.com.s...23-35DC946D0A77), but I bought the jar packaging.

A check at the ingredients:

Whey Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Corn Maltodextrin, Milk Protein Isolate, Dairy Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Sodium Caseinate, Mono- and Diglycerides, Potassium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Tocopherols), Oat Fiber, Natural and Artificial Flavour, Dried Strawberries, Calcium Phosphate, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Magnesium Oxide, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Niacinamide, Ferrous Fumarate, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Gluconate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Copper Sulfate, Boron Protelnate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Chromium Citrate, Potassium Iodide, Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate, Selenium Amino Acid Chelate, Cyanocobalamin), Potassium Phosphate, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Potassium Chloride, Salt (Sodium Chloride), Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan, Acesulfame Potassium, Whey Protein Isolate, Sucralose, Potassium Citrate, Taurine, L-glutamine, Egg Albumin, Sodium Phosphate, FD&C Red #3, FD&C Red #40 and Beta Carotene.

I used to check up on the following three on Wikipedia:

1. Acesulfame Potassium: ...a calorie-free artificial sweetener... marketed under the trade names Suneet and Sweet One... 200 times sweeter than sucrose (table sugar), as sweet as aspartame... Kraft Foods has patented the use of sodium ferulate to mask acesulfame's aftertaste... often blended with other sweeteners (usually sucralose or aspartame)... Criticssay acesulfame potassium has not been studied adequately and may be carcinogenic, although these claims have been dismissed by the US FDA...
  2. FD&C Red #3 (erythrosine): .. cherry-pink synthetic, primarily used for food colouring... commonly used in sweets such as some candies and popsicles, and even more widely used in cake-decorating gels... in 1990 the U.S. FDA had instituted a partial ban on erythrosine, citing research that high doses have been found to cause cancer in rats... In June 2008, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) petitioned the FDA for a complete ban on erythrosine in the United States.
  3. FD&C Red #40 (Allura Red AC): ... has the appearance of dark red powder... originally manufactured from coal tar, but is now mostly made from petroleum... A 2007 report from Southampton University questioned the safety of azo food dyes in three year old and 8-9 year old children... results suggest that consumption of certain mixtures of artificial food colours and sodium benzoate preservative are associated with increases in hyperactive behaviour in children... study found increased levels of hyperactivity and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children consuming the chemicals... In Europe, Allura Red AC is not recommended for consumption by children. It is banned in Denmark, Belgium, France and Switzerland, and was also banned in Sweden...

Looking at the names of other stuff that complement these three in many supplement products, not to mention being a petroleum derivative, makes me shudder. I wonder who on earth would actually go and consume such stuff, derivative or not. As for the tocopheryl acetate:

1. dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate: ...common vitamin supplement with the molecular formula C31H52O3 (for 'α' form).... often used in dermatological products such as skin creams

I have read up on vitamin E before, and the prefix d- or dl- actually has a meaning to it. How the prefix is attached depends on the vitamin E's source. As mentioned here: http://www.visivite....-vitamin-e.html, dl-alpha-tocopheryl is synthetic. Its bioavailablity to the human body, i.e. how it is being utilized by the human body on a biological molecular level is far lower than that of d-alpha-tocopheryl.

Edited by qedcwc

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

• 5 months later...

What's the different between weight gain product and protein product?

I'm 168 with 50, planning to build my body up but confuse either to take weight gain or protein.

Anyone bodybuilder can give me some advice??? Appreciate!

Guest Blaidd_drwg

Bulking up: Calories in > Calories out

Cutting/Definition: Calories in = Calories out (more or less but not too drastic as above)

Protein is required for muscle recovery.

Person of your stats should builk up first. Heavy weight gainer use,light protein use. Your objective here is to build your foundation strength. I think people focus too much on looks and forget performance. Pretentious queens. I'll beat them at an arm-wrestle anytime no matter how good they look.

After you reach a comfortable weight like around 65-68, start cutting. Stop weight gainer. Heavy protein use. Now your strength comes into overdrive as you attempt to overshoot your planque level and exponentially increase your performance levels.

Hope this helps.

i do agree eating less carbo makes u more 'jelly' and sometimes i do not want to jog because of that jelly feel.

i am 173cm and was 74kg 5 mths ago. By cutting carb and reduce calories intake, jogging 4.5km at least 4 times a week w pushup and squat thereafter, i managed to drop 9kg to hit 65kg.

my motive is to lose weight and continue to exercise regularly to keep fit but not to build ernomous strength and muscle.

I just brought BSN meal replacement protein to occasionally replace 1 meal in the evening after late exercise.

Now...anyone can advise if there is any better way to drop from 65 to 60kg? i will stop at 60kg.

You should take neither weight-gainer nor whey protein. You should just increase your number of meals and calorie intakes. If you used to eat 3 meals a day, time to increase to 4 or 5. Weight gainers are expensive and so are whey. Should you eat more you'll reach your target weight easily.

tumblr_m3l60d7jv21qbyxr0o1_500.gif

Guest stbrianud

You should take neither weight-gainer nor whey protein. You should just increase your number of meals and calorie intakes. If you used to eat 3 meals a day, time to increase to 4 or 5. Weight gainers are expensive and so are whey. Should you eat more you'll reach your target weight easily.

thats what ive been trying to say.. nice bod btw

At your weight... doubt it would be as effective as just simply eating more.. of anything really.. eat meat.. loads of meat.. i have like 5 steaks a day sometimes haha

i am same as mamemo, regular meal doesnt work to gain my weight :(

Bulking up: Calories in > Calories out

Cutting/Definition: Calories in = Calories out (more or less but not too drastic as above)

Protein is required for muscle recovery.

Person of your stats should builk up first. Heavy weight gainer use,light protein use. Your objective here is to build your foundation strength. I think people focus too much on looks and forget performance. Pretentious queens. I'll beat them at an arm-wrestle anytime no matter how good they look.

After you reach a comfortable weight like around 65-68, start cutting. Stop weight gainer. Heavy protein use. Now your strength comes into overdrive as you attempt to overshoot your planque level and exponentially increase your performance levels.

Hope this helps.

its useful info for me! thank you so much for your tips :clap:

What's the different between weight gain product and protein product?

I'm 168 with 50, planning to build my body up but confuse either to take weight gain or protein.

Anyone bodybuilder can give me some advice??? Appreciate!

if ure first starting out gym. priority is not to eat weight gainer or protein supp. priority is to get training discipline, exercise and form right.

weight gainer/protein supp without the above just make u gain fats. and if that's what you want, you can just eat weight gainer without going to the gym. if muscles is what you want, get the above right first. once u see some results (its quite easy to see results initially), then invest in those supps. if not, you're just wasting your money.

supplements are just that - supplements. u still need to eat your regular nutritious meals. ultimately, it's still hard work in the gym.

for now, you should do a serious review of what you've been eating. frequency wise and the nutritional contents of those food you've been putting in your mouth. stop eating rubbish! the most nutritious food i cud think of is home prepared food. outside hawker food is full of carbs and super low in protein. tell me, how much protein can get from a bowl of fish ball noodles. econ rice maybe, but choose the dishes wisely.

get a PT or some pro friend who can advise you on the exercises to do and the correct form. yes i couldnt emphasis more on the form. wrong form and it's going to wreck your body.

from experience, those training regimes/training methods offered by bodybuilders who are preparing for competitions are usually not suitable for 'normal' bodybuilders like most 'normal' pple. as such, i would caution following their advise blindly. one such advise is the bulking and cutting theory. for normal pple like us, this is too drastic. do you know how much you gotta stuff yourself silly during the bulking phase? and how much training you gotta go thru? some trained twice a day. morning and evening. are you able to take it or even have the time for it? not to mention the cost of all the supps including designer supps and all those meat you gotta buy. nowadays nothing is cheap (due to inflation), and that includes meat and supps.

frankly, i often see many guys in my gym downing protein shakes after their workout. my observation tells me most did not grow that big. well some do, but most guys, they tend to grow just a little or none at all...or perhaps they've reached their plateau...i donno.

if u die die must eat supp, i'll say go for weight gainer first AND remember to train. once or twice a week in gym is too little. 4 times is just right for now provided you gym productively every session. gaining some fats is inevitable during this phase but you will gain some muscles too and improvement in strength. once you hit abt 60, you can wean off the mass gainer and use whey protein.\

u must take note of your body frame and height if u wanna grow big. too short and too muscular makes one looks like humpty thumty and thats disgusting. looks very 'cartoon' also.

good luck!

I think it is impt to know wht type of food to take, so tht eating more meals will not only increase weight but increase weight healthy. If a person wants to gain weight but eat all the unhealthy food, in the end it will do harm to your body.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

if ure first starting out gym. priority is not to eat weight gainer or protein supp. priority is to get training discipline, exercise and form right.

weight gainer/protein supp without the above just make u gain fats. and if that's what you want, you can just eat weight gainer without going to the gym. if muscles is what you want, get the above right first. once u see some results (its quite easy to see results initially), then invest in those supps. if not, you're just wasting your money.

supplements are just that - supplements. u still need to eat your regular nutritious meals. ultimately, it's still hard work in the gym.

for now, you should do a serious review of what you've been eating. frequency wise and the nutritional contents of those food you've been putting in your mouth. stop eating rubbish! the most nutritious food i cud think of is home prepared food. outside hawker food is full of carbs and super low in protein. tell me, how much protein can get from a bowl of fish ball noodles. econ rice maybe, but choose the dishes wisely.

get a PT or some pro friend who can advise you on the exercises to do and the correct form. yes i couldnt emphasis more on the form. wrong form and it's going to wreck your body.

from experience, those training regimes/training methods offered by bodybuilders who are preparing for competitions are usually not suitable for 'normal' bodybuilders like most 'normal' pple. as such, i would caution following their advise blindly. one such advise is the bulking and cutting theory. for normal pple like us, this is too drastic. do you know how much you gotta stuff yourself silly during the bulking phase? and how much training you gotta go thru? some trained twice a day. morning and evening. are you able to take it or even have the time for it? not to mention the cost of all the supps including designer supps and all those meat you gotta buy. nowadays nothing is cheap (due to inflation), and that includes meat and supps.

frankly, i often see many guys in my gym downing protein shakes after their workout. my observation tells me most did not grow that big. well some do, but most guys, they tend to grow just a little or none at all...or perhaps they've reached their plateau...i donno.

if u die die must eat supp, i'll say go for weight gainer first AND remember to train. once or twice a week in gym is too little. 4 times is just right for now provided you gym productively every session. gaining some fats is inevitable during this phase but you will gain some muscles too and improvement in strength. once you hit abt 60, you can wean off the mass gainer and use whey protein.\

u must take note of your body frame and height if u wanna grow big. too short and too muscular makes one looks like humpty thumty and thats disgusting. looks very 'cartoon' also.

good luck!

Thanks so much for the info. Seems i m quite hard to gain my weight, so i hv decided to take the supplement to increase my weight first and follow up by the workout in gym. :)

I'm afraid you got it wrong, not take supplement to increase weight then followed by workout in the gym.

Gym working is a continuous, weekly 2-4 times event. It doesn't stop. I can't imagine you only start exercising after a few months of weight gainers, your body will develop a higher fat lower muscle content, and losing strength for gym training. It'd be obesity in an underweight body.

For diet, weight gainers has to be taken with cycles together with whey protein.

For instance, start off on weight gainers for 3 months while you go to the gym working out. Eat as soon as you become hungry or, going to become hungry. Once hunger kicks in, the first thing to lose is muscle, not fats. You may gain, say 3kg.

Then after 3 months, stop weight gainers, take protein isolates... or use natural foods with high protein content (eggs, salmon, almonds, ....etc). Also, reduce carbohydrates slightly, eat more protein if you can manage your moods or cravings. Out of 3kg, you may lose 1kg (fats, water and...) to become 2kg compared to 6 months ago. But, consider this, at least the 2kg of weight is mostly muscle.

Then the cycle continues until you are satisfied with muscle gain. Of course, if you develop strength in the gym, doing harder workouts with heavier weight, you will gain muscle faster. I think packing muscle requires time. If you pack 5kg during the span of a full year, it should be sustainable and you won't lose it easily. It means you need 3 years or more to achieve your target.

For 170cm, i'd think 65kg is about right. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm afraid you got it wrong, not take supplement to increase weight then followed by workout in the gym.

Gym working is a continuous, weekly 2-4 times event. It doesn't stop. I can't imagine you only start exercising after a few months of weight gainers, your body will develop a higher fat lower muscle content, and losing strength for gym training. It'd be obesity in an underweight body.

For diet, weight gainers has to be taken with cycles together with whey protein.

For instance, start off on weight gainers for 3 months while you go to the gym working out. Eat as soon as you become hungry or, going to become hungry. Once hunger kicks in, the first thing to lose is muscle, not fats. You may gain, say 3kg.

Then after 3 months, stop weight gainers, take protein isolates... or use natural foods with high protein content (eggs, salmon, almonds, ....etc). Also, reduce carbohydrates slightly, eat more protein if you can manage your moods or cravings. Out of 3kg, you may lose 1kg (fats, water and...) to become 2kg compared to 6 months ago. But, consider this, at least the 2kg of weight is mostly muscle.

Then the cycle continues until you are satisfied with muscle gain. Of course, if you develop strength in the gym, doing harder workouts with heavier weight, you will gain muscle faster. I think packing muscle requires time. If you pack 5kg during the span of a full year, it should be sustainable and you won't lose it easily. It means you need 3 years or more to achieve your target.

For 170cm, i'd think 65kg is about right. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thank you for the tips, bro! Looking up for weight gainer seems there is so many products in the market...

Haha. Stop thinking of buying or researching on mass gainers online. Most of the commercial brands are just packed with sugar and fats to make up the calories needed to bulk. Instead, research on good and proper nutrition and the various workouts out there. I would recommend rippetoes starting strength prog. Proper form is the key. But anw, back to the question about mass gainers vs whey, well, IMO good and proper meals >>> mass gainer/whey, especially for a beginner. Haha. But if I were to choose, I would say get whey. Mass gainers can easily be made with a mixture of oats, raisins, almonds, nat peanut butter and a scoop of whey. Pack a hell lot of calories to bulk minus the excessive sugars from mass gainers. And judging by your stats, you're most likely an ectomorph. Read up on that particular body type, what food to consume and which training suits u best. Just be disciplined and results will show. Supplements will help u along the way, but at the start, get your basics right 1st. Then add on with supps. All the best dude. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

i am taking this.

please comment

CoQ10 with BioPerine 100 mg X 3 per day

L-Arginine 1000 mg X 1 per day

R-Lipoic Acid 100 mg X 1 per day

Probiotic with 10 Strains X 2 per day

Astaxanthin 8 mg X 1 per day

Organic Spirulina 500 mg X 3 per day

Organic Chlorella 500 mg X 3 per day

Guest hahahahaha

wah. you're popping ard 14 pills a day.is this even healthy ?

im taking 1 x 1000mg vit C

1 x 5000mg biotin

2 x enzymes for digestive

and some times 1 x 100mg CQ.

im a bit concern if i thouls be taking these much,

i am taking this.

please comment

CoQ10 with BioPerine 100 mg X 3 per day

L-Arginine 1000 mg X 1 per day

R-Lipoic Acid 100 mg X 1 per day

Probiotic with 10 Strains X 2 per day

Astaxanthin 8 mg X 1 per day

Organic Spirulina 500 mg X 3 per day

Organic Chlorella 500 mg X 3 per day

wah. you're popping ard 14 pills a day.is this even healthy ?

im taking 1 x 1000mg vit C

1 x 5000mg biotin

2 x enzymes for digestive

and some times 1 x 100mg CQ.

im a bit concern if i thouls be taking these much,

not sure, taken for at least 6 month, so far nothing happen. i have a family history of cancer, so taking Chlorella, Astaxanthin, Probiotic, CoQ10. hoping will not get cancer so fast

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.