Male HQ

Brit Pop Rules! (But Sucks Sometimes Too!)

We already have a thread on Alternative Music Fans,
and another one on Songs That Stir My Emotion.
So I thought I could start another one that fits neither,
and give ourselves the space to share and discuss about. smile.gif

First up, the current UK #1 single,
a finalist in last year's UK X-Factor, njoi!

Hate it or love it, have your say here! Edited by steppenwolf

So this is basically about British pop music in general?

Or is it Britpop as a genre marketed in the 1990s with key names like Blur, Oasis, Elastica, Pulp, Supergrass, and Suede; with recent reincarnations of bands like Coldplay and Travis?

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

have that song on my mp3! must say it has grown on me...though i know everyone else hates it to the core HAHA!

biggrin.gif

It grew on me too, I just hope she's not a one-week nor one-hit wonder,
I wonder if she will release Stay by The Shakespeare's Sister as a single or a B-side,
best if she could include that in her debut album too! Anticipating, eagerly!

So this is basically about British pop music in general?

Yes, this is it, purely Brit Pop music, in general,
current and of the yester-years are welcome too, hop on! Edited by steppenwolf

Haha, Nadine is not bad too. Have you check out her album?

Didn't know her album is out already, is it any good?
Her debut solo wasn't as catchy as Nichola's though, IMO. smile.gif

Do you like Cheryl Cole too?
I love her moves in the "Alouette" video though...

...and of course this one as well...

Good choreography! Edited by steppenwolf

Didn't know her album is out already, is it any good?

Her debut solo wasn't as catchy as Nichola's though, IMO. :)

Do you like Cheryl Cole too?

I love her moves in the "Alouette" video though...

...and of course this one as well...

Good choreography!

Haha yup, it's out already. Do you have msn? I can send it to you if you want.

I agree with you that Nicola debut is better :D

And yes yes yes! I love Cheryl Cole. The Flood and Promise This are amazing. You should check Live Tonight and Waiting by Cheryl. Awesome songs (Y)

Haha yup, it's out already. Do you have msn? I can send it to you if you want.
I agree with you that Nicola debut is better biggrin.gif

And yes yes yes! I love Cheryl Cole. The Flood and Promise This are amazing. You should check Live Tonight and Waiting by Cheryl. Awesome songs (Y)

Looks like I've just found my first friend here on Blowing Wind,
will PM you with my MSN in a bit. wink.gif

Oh, this is one of my current favourites as well,
one that fits perfectly under the "Alternative Music Fans" & "Songs That Stir My Emotion" threads. Njoi!

Edited by steppenwolf

Looks like I've just found my first friend here on Blowing Wind,

will PM you with my MSN in a bit. ;)

Oh, this is one of my current favourites as well,

one that fits perfectly under the "Alternative Music Fans" & "Songs That Stir My Emotion" threads. Njoi!

Ooo never heard of them before. Okay that's really alternative. Not bad not bad. I think Brit pop should get more attention lo.

It grew on me too, I just hope she's not a one-week nor one-hit wonder,

I wonder if she will release Stay by The Shakespeare's Sister as a single or a B-side,

best if she could include that in her debut album too! Anticipating, eagerly!

Yes, this is it, purely Brit Pop music, in general,

current and of the yester-years are welcome too, hop on!

YAH! i quite like the infectious beat in that song...and speaking of X factor I liked her remake of "love the way you lie". There was smth about her voice that was strangely...raw and attractive.

I wanted to share about Lily Allen the moment I read this thread, but I guess you preceded me. Anyway, my favorite from her is this:

Also, there's pure pop vocalist Will Young, winner of the original Idol franchise. He's cute and gay too, by the way, lol. I find this love ballad quite touching.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

I like Cheryl Cole too. I mean her songs aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread but there's just something about her...

I knew nothing about this Cher Lloyd girl ( I don't follow the x factor much) but Stay happens to be one of my favourite songs and man, that was an amazing rendition! That girl has some chops.

Also, there's pure pop vocalist Will Young, winner of the original Idol franchise. He's cute and gay too, by the way, lol. I find this love ballad quite touching.

Leave Right Now is a modern day classic indeed,
let's hope this new one will shoot him up the singles charts again...

Edited by steppenwolf

Cool! I love Brit Pop,

Recently I'm addicted to this >

Love her XD

I love her too! have you heard hey new song, Lucky Day? I was pretty much crazy over Girls Aloud, still am actually haha. But was quite underwhelmed by Nadine's and Cheryl's solo efforts.

Nicola's one sounds really promising though!

I love her too! have you heard hey new song, Lucky Day? I was pretty much crazy over Girls Aloud, still am actually haha. But was quite underwhelmed by Nadine's and Cheryl's solo efforts.

Nicola's one sounds really promising though!

I HEARD IT! Very nice, I even watched the unedited video lol. Interesting. I feel so too, about Nadine and Cheryl :) But still love them as a whole.

British popular music is recently known for their invasion of blue-eyed soul crooners like Amy Winehouse (RIP), Adele, and Duffy.

What people tends to overlook is Joss Stone, who preceded all these artists by a good few years. She did it really really well, too, but guess her image is more adult contemporary and less appealing to the mass market. Nevertheless, if you're willing to explore, you'll find gems in her catalog:

Also, a stunning cover of the White Stripes:

ONE DIRECTION!
GO SEARCH THEM ON YOUTUBE! i swear you wont regret it!

Last year's UK X-factor did produce quite many interesting groups & vocalists.

My favourite group will have to be the very campy Diva Fever,
purely for entertainment value, not talent. Njoi!

Edited by steppenwolf

The one other notable new entry of the week (in the UK Singles Chart), and indeed other than Cher Lloyd the only single to enter the Top 40 as a totally brand new release is the curiosity that is 'Masterchef Synesthesia' by Swede Mason.

The enigmatic 31 year old Londoner is one of a new breed of video mash-up artists, creating a series of popular viral videos by sampling bits of television and mixing them together over a dance beat.

Almost out of nowhere his fun collage of quotes and samples from the TV series Masterchef became one of YouTube's biggest hits of the last few months, prompting moves to make the track available for download.

So here it is then the tale of the Buttery Biscuit Base in all its two minute glory, the most unlikely chart single of the week and one which suggests its creators career as a plasterer and decorator may be rather shorter lived than he ever imagined. (Source : Chart Watch UK by James Masterton)

Only in the UK! LOL

Edited by steppenwolf

I love Brit pop!!! Spice Girls, Take That, All Saints, Atomic Kitten, S Club 7, Sugababes, Wham, Culture Club, George Michael, Boy George, PSB, Erasure, Geri Halliwell, Simply Red, Fatboy Slim, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Lisa Stansfield and much much more!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_vEJpgRhZQ

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

Love The XX. Saw them perform at Esplanade with Florence and The Machine, very cool.

I didn't know The XX were in town,
were they a support act for Florence & The Machine?

I only managed to catch Saint Etienne when they were here,
it was a good gig and there was a autograph signing session after the show too! smile.gif

Edited by steppenwolf

Guest passerby

Ouiyoh what's Brit Pop without the Sugababes ah!!! Well at least for me its the previous incarnations with Mutya and Keisha is what defines their unique sound, and their recent roster seems quite lacking.

and the current eh Euro pop (not exactly Brit but more UK charts) that's still playing in my head is Robyn's 2nd single from Body Talk... good lyrics...

Guest passerby

Which is your favourite Flood of them all?

Mine will have to be this one, Katie Melua's,

produced by William Orbit. Ace!

Definitely Melua's Flood rules, I think that album deserves more credit than it received, and such a detour from her previous works. Her second single 'A Happy Place' from that album was simply Amidala/Oompa-Loompas bizarre...

Definitely Melua's Flood rules, I think that album deserves more credit than it received, and such a detour from her previous works. Her second single 'A Happy Place' from that album was simply Amidala/Oompa-Loompas bizarre...

AMEN!!!

Let's revisit this other side of Katie Melua that first caught our attention & won many hearts...

Edited by steppenwolf

Oooh Florence + The Machine!! How could anyone forget about that awesome woman? Cosmic Love is no. 1 on my itunes right now.

Edited by GKarl

"A weak man has doubts before his decision. A strong man has them afterwards."

I love Brit pop!!! Spice Girls, Take That, All Saints, Atomic Kitten, S Club 7, Sugababes, Wham, Culture Club, George Michael, Boy George, PSB, Erasure, Geri Halliwell, Simply Red, Fatboy Slim, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Lisa Stansfield and much much more!!!

I heard Boy George is coming for the F1 next month,
is this confirmed?

If only he sings and not spin,
love his last collaboration with Mark Ronson...

Edited by steppenwolf

• Guest locked this topic