Male HQ

Advice From A Slick Schmoozer

HendryTan

I read this interview

"THE E-MAIL INTERVIEW: CLUB MAESTRO ANDREW ING

- Who says I'm a schmoozer? "

Sunday Times, 25 Sept 2005

The section of the inteview that caught my eyes

Q : Word has it you're one of the town's slickest schmoozers. What three qualities must a schmoozer par excellence have?

A : The ability to pull conversation topics out of your butt on cue is a must. Although this is not a quality, downing two vodka tonics in quick succession can help ease you into schmooze mode. And remember the mints.

My advice to new schmoozers: Always stay focused on the person you're talking to, never let your eyes wander. Amateur schmoozers are always trying to catch everyone's eye in the room while speaking to you. That's just plain rude. Professional schmoozers can sense who's around them without ever losing eye contact. That's skill.

Bingo. There are so many times when I meet people at party/meeting/ Pub/SPA/Club/Cruise ... who when talking to you, their eyes are ducking all over the place for their next catch. This "insincerity" shows - take a lesson from a schmoozer par excellence :)

About Andrew Ing as written by ST: For nearly a decade, he was the face of Zouk.

As its marketing manager from 1993 to 2001, Mr Andrew Ing put the club on the world map....

• Guest locked this topic