Male HQ

External Hdd - Advice Needed

bearhunt

Ovation 400GB Seagate 3.5" is selling at $249 in Fuwell, Sim Lim Square. 500GB/750GB is $299/$599 respectively.

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

wow. 500Gb and 750GB is really big HD. Will it be slow? Will it generate lot og heat too. ANother question... What is the lofe span of a ext HD? When a HD starts giving problem does it mena all my data inside lost? How can I retreive it?

Any kind soul out there answer these questions?? Thanks in advance.. :rolleyes::)

Hugs

Don't worry, Be happy

Currently using the Ovation 400GB ext. HDD. Bought for $279 a few months ago in Funan. So far no problem.

Sim Lim has many shops (from 3rd to 6th levels) offering data recovery. There is even one shop that has someone working inside wearing a lab coat. When I talked to him, he sounded very knowledgeable about HDD internals. Usu. the shops charged a min. amount and then per GB basis.

There is also company offering professional data recovery. One such co. is CBL. But it could set you back by a few thousand dollars!

HDD technology has become so sophisticated that the bigger the size, the more cost effective it is. However, it is also good to know what type of HDD that is good for your use/system. Manufacturer's warranty is also a factor strongly to be considered.

Will it be slow?

It should not be. Hard drive makers are turning from the conventional longitudinal recording technology to perpendicular recording to provide even greater storage.

In considering for external use, a user should consider for:

1. USB 2.0 with 480Mbps transfer rate or Firewire

2. Sata instead of the conventional Ide

3. Revolution/Rotation Per Minute (rpm) - Go for 7200rpm

4. Memory cache - Go for 16mb

TIPS: Turn off Indexing in your system to free up system resources and it makes hdd faster.

Will it generate lot og heat too

Undeniably, it will. However, there are some brands that are said to generate lesser heat.

What is the lofe span of a ext HD

Be it internal or external, there is always a possibility of a HDD hitting the bonk. It is a little unpredictable to determine for a specific period. However, on the average, it can be from 3 - 5 years - some, can even be within a year.

It may be longer for external HDD if this storage is not being accessed continuously vs the internal HDD.

HDD maintenance is a must. It is always good, say to do disk defragmentation and error-checking.

When a HD starts giving problem does it mena all my data inside lost?

Prevention is better than cure. It is good if you are to enable SMART [self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology] in your BIOS setting. Major HDD manufacturers now include the SMART technology in their hard disk drives.

Do note that not all hard drive failures are predictable - SMART analyzes mechanical attributes and make an informed message if the drives are moving out of tolerance.

Whether you will lose all your data also depends on the storage structure. Example, say you are reformatting the hard disk and using Quick format, most of the old data are actually still stored under a different platter. In the event this drive fails, it is possible to retrieve some [if not all] of the data.

How can I retreive it?

Hehe, if you have backed-up your data on optical CDs and/or DVDs, they can be a source for you to retrieve :D

However, do note that preserving data on such storage media has a life span too. Depending on the quality of the storage media, the problem with its material degradation can expedite data loss. Cheap burnable CDs/DVDs have a shorter life span over the better quality disc.

There are experts/shops that provide retrieval of data services. But it is not cheap.

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

Software To Check The Condition Of Your Hdd

Besides using diagnostic tool from the respective HDD manufacturer, you might want to use HD Tune.

HD Tune Download and Website Here

TIPS: Turn off Indexing in your system to free up system resources and it makes hdd faster.

yeap, but the downside is that it makes search much slower.

Hehe, our handsome OralB highlighted valid point.

For more info on Indexing, click - Read Microsoft Help And Support.

How To Turn Off Indexing

My Computer > Properties > General > uncheck "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching"

A window will pop up, make sure the box is checked that says "Apply change to C:\subfolders and files. Click OK. Reboot your system once done.

[You can repeat this procedure to apply to all your other drives]

Hi guys,

I'm sorry but I need to understand some things here.

Hope someone can help me.

1. Bearhunt mentioned that the Ovation drive uses a Seagate hard disk. So technically speaking, there's not much difference between an Ovation and a Seagate drive is there? Besides the price of course.

2. Let's say I see the price is quoted as $319 for the hard disk that I'm eyeing. Does that include the hard box or is that just for the hard disk alone?

3. Do I need to format the hard disk?

4. I've currently got an 80GB 2.5 external hard disk. When I plug it into my computer, sometimes it emits this high-frequency sound like a warning. But when I asked my friend to check it for me, he said it's ok. So is it really ok? Or is it going to kaput already?

Yeah, that's what I've always wanted to know and I just stumbled onto this thread. Will really appreciate it if someone can help me. So thanks in advance!

Hi Alex,

1. Bearhunt mentioned that the Ovation drive uses a Seagate hard disk. So technically speaking, there's not much difference between an Ovation and a Seagate drive is there? Besides the price of course.

Basically, i think it is just a packaged of marketing strategy. Ovation, by itself, is a One-Touch Backup [OTB] external hard disk drive and being bundled with a seagate hdd.

The advantage of purchasing Ovation Seagate OTB is the warranty support - you only need to go to one place for service. It comes with back-up software and it's plug-and-play.

The advantage of purchasing separate hard disk and an external casing usually lies on price differential. You have a choice to select for a particular HDD and an appropriate external casing.

2. Let's say I see the price is quoted as $319 for the hard disk that I'm eyeing. Does that include the hard box or is that just for the hard disk alone?

If the price is on the box, yes.

Internal HDD is usually not boxed.

3. Do I need to format the hard disk?

You need to check on the box. Some external hard disk storage sold formatted and it is ready to use.

If you are to buy a separate hdd and the casing, you must format the hdd.

4. I've currently got an 80GB 2.5 external hard disk. When I plug it into my computer, sometimes it emits this high-frequency sound like a warning. But when I asked my friend to check it for me, he said it's ok. So is it really ok? Or is it going to kaput already?

Every hdd gives some kind of sound while reading. You may want to perform a diagnostic troubleshoot - scroll up for the software.

Hi IkuTube,

thanks for being so patient in answering my questions.

I ran the diagnostic troubleshoot as you suggested and indeed there are some damaged sectors. But I couldn't find anything that could repair it. Or am I blind? So in this instance, since there are damaged sectors, is there anything that can be done to repair it?

Hi Alex,

The signs that a HDD is a about to 'up the lorry' would be slow reads - and in the case where it is a primary HDD for OS, it will be slow boot sequence and OS may seem to lock and need to reboot several times before windows comes up.

Actually, it is said that most [precisely it is none] HDD sold that is 'perfect' without bad sectors. When you start to see or feel cranky behaviour, this may flag as an impending problem. It is best that you start to backup your data.

Once that's done, download HDD Scan and Restoration. Hopefully, it will solve your problem.

Regards.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.