Male HQ

Are You Gay And Racist? + Racism In The Gay Community: Why Do Some People Not Like Some 'races' (Compiled)

pittsburgh

It's more to do with a sheer lack of Indian-Oriental stuff happening. A less racist forum may have actually pointed me in directions towards Singaporean Indian-Oriental stuff. I'm not suggesting people like me in particular - I doubt most people who read this know who I am (and that's what I want), I'm looking into Oriental-Indian being so seemingly barren here.

my " you" is not refer to you :), know some chinese just like to have sex with those dark skin indian, so would you claimed that he is racist? how do you find those who not even want to be friend with their same kind / race?

Guest Guest

my " you" is not refer to you :), know some chinese just like to have sex with those dark skin indian, so would you claimed that he is racist?

Well thanks. and no. I would say that would soften the racism.

I'm not doing anything different (I'd say being better) than those rants one randomly comes across on western boards/forums with Orientals crying about how they can't get a gf/bf and proceeding to rant on and on and on about everything under the sun...

A Malay could complain if he felt completely locked out and technically one of those things these forums should help with.

how do you find those who not even want to be friend with their same kind / race?

No I read about this. In British culture, more so than US culture, it's considered to be better to integrate and assimilate into local culture and treat everyone as if they are racially one. So it's quite easy for a person to end up in multicultural friendship groups with no-one of the same race.

Also, Indians tend to be more spread out around the country while other races tend to group together in urban cities.

I've come across Orientals who do similar things. Whitewashing is very common in British culture.

Guest Glyph

First, this sentence is hogswallop.

Second, I see a forum that shows me anything but Indian-Oriental stuff, when querying something about racism in a city with a majority Oriental population, as pointless racism. Surely someone would have pointed out to me the odd positives Singapore's LGBT community has done towards Indians?

As part of Singapore's GLBT community, we have bigger things to tend to. Such as 377A.

I have also decided not to remove your posts, because people need to see how superficial you are, nitpicking on trivialities that one should just take in stride and move on with.

Guest Guest

As part of Singapore's GLBT community, we have bigger things to tend to. Such as 377A.

I have also decided not to remove your posts, because people need to see how superficial you are, nitpicking on trivialities that one should just take in stride and move on with.

I'm not nit-picking. Nit-picking is getting into a massive argument over the term "LGBT vs GLBT"... And racism isn't a problem that can be talked about along with "Umbro Shorts"??? It's not like I targeted you for a response. 

As I said, "I'm not doing anything different (I'd say being better) than those rants one randomly comes across on western boards/forums with Orientals crying about how they can't get a gf/bf and proceeding to rant on and on and on about everything under the sun...". I also don't comprehend why no-one else wails on this forum, when similar stuff happens in the west...

Indian-Oriental does look like it's nearly extinct in Singapore, so it's acceptable to post imo.

Guest Guest

Just to defend my self from tyrant mod who refuses to defend Indians:
It's somewhat proof that Singapore has a problem when you argue with me so much and refuse to support me or say something positive about Indians.

The idea of blacks being ugly and receiving a disproportionate amount of racism is well known in the gay community, and I will assert that Pakistanis/Muslims and Blacks are by far the most hated peoples in Britain, especially once you get above the lower classes.

Guest Glyph

Arh, so I am now a tyrant mod. Instead of simply shutting you out completely like what the rest of the mods did to your threads, I gave you a shot at telling us what, how, and why did you make the statement "Singaporeans are OTT racists (towards Indians)" here, but all you did was antagonise those who questioned. Not to mention, warping Blowing Wind's stand on this issue (racism) and passing off snide remarks with regards to the content in this entire forum board. And let's not forget how you have magically shifted from a Hong Kong-based IP to Germany within the span of an hour.

I have obviously made the wrong choice.

Just to defend my self from tyrant mod who refuses to defend Indians:

It's somewhat proof that Singapore has a problem when you argue with me so much and refuse to support me or say something positive about Indians.

The problem is with you, not Singapore.  If you have that kind of inferior complex, any country on earth you go to, you will still be the same.

I don't like to eat curry, do you call me a racist ?   If I get rejected by a Caucasian in a sauna, do I call him a racist ?  I am not into hairy guys, Caucasian or Indians.  And that is my right and preference.

Guest Guest

Firstly, si mi lanjiao is Indian-Oriental?

Next, this London Indian is the biggest racist here! How come he is only looking for Indian or Indian-Oriental (whatever that means) here? How come he is not looking for Malays or Eurasian?

And he dare call us RACIST? KNN!

This is known as the pot calling the kettle BLAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKK!

Guest Guest

My friend told me that he is being thrown French fries in London city restaurant early one morning ...and another have been told he is a like a dwarf in NYC by a bus driver ...

Just saying, inter-racial relationships and marriages aren't that common even among the "straight SG community", so it definitely isn't just a "gay" thing to prefer fucking/dating your own race/skin colour.

And also, by your reasoning:

Gorgeous Indian reject fat ugly indian = preference ???

Gorgeous Chinese reject fat ugly indian = racist ???

Edited by SuperSentai

皆々様には、御機嫌麗しゅう、恐悦至極に存じ奉ります。

First, this sentence is hogswallop.

Second, I see a forum that shows me anything but Indian-Oriental stuff, when querying something about racism in a city with a majority Oriental population, as pointless racism. Surely someone would have pointed out to me the odd positives Singapore's LGBT community has done towards Indians?

Well the word oriental is hardly even used in Singapore so half of the people here probably don't even understand what you're rambling about let alone use the word. And if you don't understand the context in Singapore, there is no way you can compare it to another country and just consider them to be the same.

Sure there is racism in Singapore not saying that there is none. But don't even expect any good replies if the majority here can't even understand where you are coming from.

Honestly a less perceiving reading would probably consider you crazy and just craving for attention.

On that matter though, you can look up the forum and there are 'orientals' looking for Indian guys so can you just chill out

Honestly I find it distressing that what you find distressing is that you feel inferior to other races here that you would normally feel superior to in your own experience.

Guest Stop being basic

www.nanyangchronicle.ntu.edu.sg/2014/09/confessions-of-a-racial-minority/

http://boundary2.org/2015/03/04/chinese-privilege-gender-and-intersectionality-in-singapore-a-conversation-between-adeline-koh-and-sangeetha-thanapal/

https://www.reddit.com/r/singapore/comments/2y4gae/chinese_privilege_gender_and_intersectionality_in/

I would refer to it as subconcious racism. Something got built in you when your parent pointed to the Indian man on the streets and said that if you misbehaved, he would kidnap you. Or when your family made fun of other races. When you decided to speak mandarin instead of English in a mixed race group, thereby excluding the others.

You see kids are not born racist. Racism was a construct of man, in his search for superiority and segregation. Yet this circle embraces it with open arms. We, the rejected people of society, who seek acceptance and understanding of people who throw stereotypes and homophobia at us are subjecting our very own people to stereotype and fear.

We seek equality, when we ourselves don't believe in it. How much more self centred can we get?

Somehow when looking at the larger picture, I find that the Singapore Indians are one of the most successful minority groups. They have contributed 3 out of 7 presidents of Singapore. They dominate the judiciary where the Chief Justice, the attorney general and the minister for law are all Indians. They make up 1 of the 2 deputy prime ministers. They chair the counsel of presidential advisors (where 2 out of 6 are Indians I think, if I didn't get it wrong). And JY pillai is pretty awesome. Heck, in the mids of stepping down, then PM lky had listed 4 people as his possible successors, one of which was mr s dhanabalan.

Yet here we are, the face and bod driven society, bilittling them about the way they look, the way they smell. Haha. Chinese previllage indeed.

Guest alispenn

I was under the impression that the more precise and appropriate term for "Indians" is "South-Asians", from the locally common really dark Tamils to the last of the Aryans in Assam.  I personally can't tell the difference between certain Nepalese from locally common Chinese.  Not to mention religious sects and sub-castes.

Fundamentally, there is a mass of "Us" and a mass of "Others". Just as an example, assuming you identify yourself as a Chinese, Ahmad turn you down,  These Malays/Muslims are so racist.  Ah Beng turn you down.  Ah Beng, not Chinese, is a creep.

Well, it turned out Ahmad is in fact a Hindu Balinese who has subscribed to the "Top Man Mentality".

The guest who re-awakened this thread assumed himself as a member the "London Scene" and treat the local scene as part of the "Others", that's all.  As I recall, there is actually not that big a distinction between the audience and the actors.

Now, think about SG50 coming up.  Amidst all these glory and jubilation,  would you consider yourself a member of the same mass as the infamous Singaporean Pedophile Tourists?

A week after the last BW anniversary party, during the "Coming Out Forum", I said to a party attendee "As much as I appreciate OC providing an alternative, within the lifestyle.  I fail to see how ever they are going grab the bull by the horn if they don't address the perceived nature of Sexual-Intercourse in this stage of Human social development.  He replied something along the line of "That's too big an endeavor."  Somehow, I thought he was Dark Flame, now I realized he might have been none other than Pass-by.  

Guest hello.pseudo

I know of Malay guys who won't go for another Malay guy. Many cited reasons but being racist isn't one of them.

I know of plenty too..

Things like their type of exposure to society could be one of the reasons. Others include bad experiences, etc.

I used to be only into Malay dudes until I had a series of bad experiences. It was until I met my Chinese ex-boyfriend that I decided to venture into dating people of other races.

I'm a North Indian and frankly, I've learned that one's race is simply... a race. I've dated people of the malay, chinese, indian (north and south, East, West, what have you), eurasian race. No difference, we are all human.

Edited by hello.pseudo

Guest 72%dark

Reading this thread, a few things come to mind about the way we discuss race relations in Sg.

1) We don't have to fear discussing this topic if we all made an effort to keep it civil and rational. Race is an emotive subject, but it helps if we try not to let our emotions color the debate.

2) To my fellow ethnic minority Sgporeans, I suggest we try to remind ourselves that nobody likes to be called a racist, so it doesn't exactly foster rapport if we enter a debate with guns blazing, calling everyone a racist. It just puts people on the defensive. Don't use the term unless you're sure it's the appropriate one.

3) To my non-minority compatriots, keep in mind that observations about racism are really about general practices and mindsets in society at large, and not insinuations about your own personal conduct. This might help you avoid feeling personally affronted and reacting defensively.

I also implore you to resist the temptation to reflexively downplay the extent and severity of the discrimination that ethnic minorities face in Sg, especially if you have not experienced it yourself. When types and examples of discrimination are brought up for discussion, the ultimate purpose isn't (or shouldn't be) to make the majority ‘feel guilty’, but to encourage changes in behaviors and mindsets.

4) To all, it's important to remember that race-consciousness is not an all-or-nothing proposition (i.e. that people are either all-out racist or not at all). The importance that people place on (supposedly) racial characteristics can and does vary in different areas of daily life.

5) As SuperSentai has pointed out, the rarity of romantic involvement across ethnic lines is not specific to the gay community in Sg, it's a broader issue. To me, this is merely one symptom of a deeper problem with race relations in Sg, and I personally think it's a national conversation worth having. But whether a forum devoted to gay topics is the right place for it is another question.

6) To the extent that an individual’s sexual tastes – the set of physical traits one finds desirable in a sex partner – are not consciously determined, it's hard to fault someone for having a preference for the physical traits of one ‘race’ over another. (And I speak as someone who is constantly rejected on this basis, so I'm not being defensive here.)

If we're talking just about someone’s outward appearance, I don't know if this should be called ‘racism’.[*] It depends on how one treats analogous situations: If someone doesn't find fat bodies attractive is he a ‘sizeist’? If someone doesn't find old bodies attractive is he an ‘ageist’?

My own feeling on the subject is that someone’s openness to a person’s non-physical traits is more relevant, that the more interesting question is whether someone is willing and able to look beyond another’s superficial appearance. After all, the core of true racism is thinking that a person’s biological makeup is somehow indicative of his inherent worth as a human being.

[*Regarding how sexual preference for a race is determined, it is of course possible that some manifestation of racism amongst communities – lack of true racial integration – could be an etiological factor.]

7) That said, I personally think that of all the areas of daily life in Sg where race plays a part, romance is a pretty trivial one.

8) Indians do get a pretty raw deal in Sg. Again, it must be emphasized that what is important are the systemic factors and effects. What is of concern is the welfare of the average Indian in Sg, not the outlier. So it's not a cogent counterargument to point to some token figureheads as proof that everything is hunky-dory. Instead, one should wonder why median incomes and average educational levels, for instance, lag behind those of other racial groups.

As I mentioned in (5), I'm not sure this is the right forum for canvassing this issue. I bring it up because so much heat and smoke has been generated that I wanted to remind everyone: Surely it’s possible to make a dispassionate observation about it without people over-dramatizing it or protesting huffily.

As people concerned for the welfare of our fellow citizens, we can look into allegations of discrimination without the knee-jerk denials and the feeling like we’re playing a blame game.

Sgporeans are not race-blind, but neither are we nazis, so everyone could stand to take a chill pill here.

Any self-righteous racists out there clearly has not experienced how Humans are discriminated and less played as compared to Elves for their superior intellect, Dwarves for their stamina/resilience, and Groot because I AM GROOT.

Guest Guest
I initially raised the points made here in an open-ended rant just to put my opinions out into space, and I do actually restrain myself from saying what I really want to say.

I am so used to thinking that blacks are the ugliest and most hated in LGBT culture, and I've only ever really thought about blacks after getting deep into Oriental culture. I'm used to feeling superior to blacks within the LGBT community, and whilst I wouldn't put it into an encyclopedia I generally feel like colourism is a diminishing issue. I also want to point out that from what I've gathered about China so far, PRC are far too into black culture for me and it's to a level I've never come across before.

I used to ridicule North Indians who said that they were more attractive [due to their fair skin, etc] without feeling hurt, so I presume there must have been something in LGBT culture that made me feel good about myself; on the other hand, I would say that I have always felt superior to Pakistanis. While I understand people who love Caucasians, North Indian colourism is something I associate with the Hindi belt and not with Tamils (or Orientals).

My problem with you guys is that: it feels like you are being racist against Indians by being so pro-black or being colourist. I kinda expect more.

Guest bigotted

I think the issue is about him being overly sensitive about perceived segregation. Partly, due to him being raised in a South Asian culture where the caste system is very pervasive.

Guest Guest

I initially raised the points made here in an open-ended rant just to put my opinions out into space, and I do actually restrain myself from saying what I really want to say.

I am so used to thinking that blacks are the ugliest and most hated in LGBT culture, and I've only ever really thought about blacks after getting deep into Oriental culture. I'm used to feeling superior to blacks within the LGBT community, and whilst I wouldn't put it into an encyclopedia I generally feel like colourism is a diminishing issue. I also want to point out that from what I've gathered about China so far, PRC are far too into black culture for me and it's to a level I've never come across before.

I used to ridicule North Indians who said that they were more attractive [due to their fair skin, etc] without feeling hurt, so I presume there must have been something in LGBT culture that made me feel good about myself; on the other hand, I would say that I have always felt superior to Pakistanis. While I understand people who love Caucasians, North Indian colourism is something I associate with the Hindi belt and not with Tamils (or Orientals).

My problem with you guys is that: it feels like you are being racist against Indians by being so pro-black or being colourist. I kinda expect more.

That's one load of bullshxt.

And he calls us "racists"? This is really the pot calling the kettle BLAAAAACCCCKKKK!

I guess this is the type of foreigners we got in Singapore now.

It is interesting that this topic was brought up.

Just recently this year, SGRainbow organised a panel discussion on racial discrimination within the gay community. We had a heated discussion on what constitute preference or prejudice. Although there was no conclusion, the 20-odd participants who attended the session had a deeper insight into such an issue which is uncommon to talk about openly.

If you have any suggestions on upcoming topics that you would like us to cover, let us know either through PM or email contact@sgrainbow.org

More information on the event can be found by clicking here.

SGRainbow is a non-profit community social group for GBQ men aged 18 to 35 in Singapore.

You may email sgrainbow@gmail.com for queries on our programmes, or to be added into our mailing lists.

Visit our website to find out more: http://linktr.ee/sgrainbow.2022

Like us:

Facebook

Copyright 2009 - 2016

Guest alispenn

As I recall, there is actually not that big a distinction between the audience and the actors.

Enough is enough.

That's one load of bullshxt.

And he calls us "racists"? This is really the pot calling the kettle BLAAAAACCCCKKKK!

Oriental culture, lol. I'm sorry but what does that mean? Do you think that all Asian cultures are the same?

Do you want to try that again but with more condescension this time?

Please, this is not enough.

At least for me, this thread is providing me with an insight into aspects of society, gay life and contributors I have over-looked.

It may be also a case of "What  goes around, comes around", if the re-awakener bothers.

Yes, there is an "Oriental Culture", in the eyes of some who treat us, even here, as a mass of "Others".

Easley Lim, of others, subscribe to the notion of  "Asian Culture",  Someone, correct me if the rivers of Jordan, Ganges and Indus are not in Asia.

Still no offence, I have seen Siberia with my own eyes. 

Guest Guest

Moan away. I'm sure that'll change others' preferences towards you and magically render you more attractive in their eyes. Moaning can change the world, including sexual preferences. It is definitely very productive. So moan on!

It's a preference more than anything. Within the gay community, it is physical attribute taking precedence most of the time, not the color of the skin. Hairy vs clean shaven, lean vs chubby, mature vs young etc. I have intimation with a lean toned smooth skin south Asian, a rare find. One of my best encounter.

Guest Guest

It's not about your race, but how masculine, manly, virile your face, body and behaviour suggests. If you think your bod is fantastic but you want to sashay like Tyra banks and flirt like Rihanna, sorry to burst your bubble, you have just isolated your demand from 99.9% of the gay market who think you are just like a plastic mannequin - maybe fit for display for some boutiques, but useless for anything else.

Guest Guest

Sorz for the long post and OTT ranting. I might split this up into two or three posts if you guys think it's tl;dr. It's just mindless rambling and ranting from me, though some of it might be useful to you guys. It actually helps to rant out, it's why YT rant videos exist.

Actually, I think this would be a good place to sum up what I feel racism in the west is like, and my problems with Caucasians, and then you guys. It isn't everything but it's what's on my brain rn:

My experience with racism from LGBT Caucasians
Caucasians tend to be white-centrist and gay culture tends to be white. It sometimes feels like gay culture is limited to whites which comes across as slightly racist. But in Britain LGBT culture is actually really easy to get into; it's mainly Eurovision (love the ethnic 'eastern' europop), europop (really white, actually empowering), and musicals (reminds me of Bollywood) - I don't really mind any of it.

I also think LGBT organisations are useless. I've never found them helpful and I get more from East Asian culture - that's before I look at East Asian LGBT organisations. I'm not the only one to say this so I'm not alone.

Culturalism
My biggest problem with westerners is how culturalist they are. I have read several comments/rants online that agree with me.

Caucasians like to look down on non-Western people, as if our culture is inferior or backwards to their culture. While this may not matter for blacks, it's the opposite for us; Hindu/Buddhist culture was far more progressive than Western culture ever was and homophobia was only introduced by European colonialists during imperialism.

Even now I find Eastern culture to be richer than Western culture. Looking back, I think Western culture is awful, and I've found far more solace in cultures like Japan or Thailand, and in ancient Dravidian culture. There are things that I've come across in Asian culture that I still haven't come across in European culture  (the most liberal area of Western culture for LGBT). Even the idea that Dravidian culture or Oriental culture can be superior to Western culture is dumbfounded on many gay Caucasians.

It's worse that the worst homophobia I have come across has been from the UK; at their schools or hospitals, cyber-bullying or insensitive cultures. Many Asian cultures actually do better than European cultures in these areas, and I have read several times about Caucasians going to the East to find a better life.

Proper Racism 
I've never actually experienced proper racism from the LGBT community, especially since I witness a lot of racism against blacks but not that much against me. 

The only racism I think I would call out on isn't really to do with the gay community but more to do with mainstream media.

Most of the time they are just too White-centrist and Christian. 

Sex
I've read up on this, and I've come to realise that the biggest positive about British culture is that they are the most sexual nation on earth. So in general I find sex easy, guys will hit on you during your commute, in clubs, at parties, out cruising, etc... I don't feel unsexy as an Indian in UK, unlike what I hear from Indians in USA.

Contrary to how people think here I usually feel superior to blacks and I never feel inferior to North Indians. I usually do not worry about colourism and I get the impression that the majority of gay guys don't really like blacks.

In comparison you guys seem really racist towards Indians. It's very different to how a British Indian is treated in the UK...

I spent a few hours in a cafe reading up on British Chinese people, and I've actually managed to collect my thoughts into something more ordered. 

This is what I remember:

• Most British Chinese are actually racist against Pakistanis and Blacks.
  • The vast majority of them also avoid black culture (like my school friends) and black culture is generally viewed as chavvy. 
  • White/black relationships are essentially lower class. (In UK classism is a stronger force than racism, but races are divided along class lines. Hence why the UK is usually seen as more friendly to Indians in comparison to USA.)
  • They also place Indians* above blacks sexually, though that doesn't mean all of them sexually like Indians to Orientals/Whites. Which is why I was so shocked to find Orientals actually liking blacks.

I think the difference in views/racism might be because most Chinese people in Britain are from Hong Kong and are heavily whitewashed.  But I've had a couple of Chinese friends (one of them a A* cricketer too) who weren't from HK, but we generally got along with similar racist attitudes, so it may also be assimilation into British culture.

The above is what I'm used to from Chinese people - I never feel like I'm on the wrong end of colourism or black culture, and we all hate Pakistanis.

*Another thing I was able to confirm was that the 'stereotypical Indian' in Britain is brown-skinned, so when I use the word Indian I mean brown-skinned South Indians (and not North Indians).

This is why I think you guys are actually racist. I've never felt I might be 'inferior' to blacks or worried about my skin colour; I can blame colourism on 1D, but any inferiority to blacks has to be from Oriental culture. Remember that Singapore is mainly Tamil too - I find it odd that we're racially better off in London of all places.

I was hoping for more from Singapore. I wanted you guys to be like Londoners, but less culturalist and more pro-indian. I don't really like Caucasians and I find you guys to be more sexually attractive, and the culture is sooo attractive too!

It's not about your race, but how masculine, manly, virile your face, body and behaviour suggests. If you think your bod is fantastic but you want to sashay like Tyra banks and flirt like Rihanna, sorry to burst your bubble, you have just isolated your demand from 99.9% of the gay market who think you are just like a plastic mannequin - maybe fit for display for some boutiques, but useless for anything else.

Actually I've never felt being masculine was positive in gay culture. Most gay culture I come across from white people usually gives off a feminine aroma - I've never come across gay guys being masculine as a good thing!

Maybe this is a European thing (I know Europeans and Middle Class tend to be more open towards being feminine), but gay guys generally orientate towards being feminine except in more homophobic cultures. I've always been brought up to identify gays as being feminine, and it's the same in places like India, Japan and Korea. I've read several times that gay guys tend to prefer feminine guys but it may have been a British/European perspective.

I have also never come across black culture in the LGBT community. It's surprising since even Japanese culture is very similar to British culture. Most our 'idols' are whiter than white - but again mainstream culture in Britain is also very white. For example, I wouldn't come across a black artist on facebook.

In Europe most gay guys tend to be really feminine - heck, most straight guys in Europe tend to be feminine! - even the manliest of men are metrosexual now! (Sometimes manliness is portrayed as chavvy.)

BTW: I know this isn't the place to discuss PRC and black culture, but seriously it's so intimidating! - in Britain (and presuming from my experience in France and Germany, in Europe too) it's so easy to write off blacks as chavvy. They are literally segregated into lower class ghettos and normal culture seriously lacks blacks.

Sorz for the long post and OTT ranting. I might split this up into two or three posts if you guys think it's tl;dr. It's just mindless rambling and ranting from me, though some of it might be useful to you guys. It actually helps to rant out, it's why YT rant videos exist.

Actually, I think this would be a good place to sum up what I feel racism in the west is like, and my problems with Caucasians, and then you guys. It isn't everything but it's what's on my brain rn:

My experience with racism from LGBT Caucasians

Caucasians tend to be white-centrist and gay culture tends to be white. It sometimes feels like gay culture is limited to whites which comes across as slightly racist. But in Britain LGBT culture is actually really easy to get into; it's mainly Eurovision (love the ethnic 'eastern' europop), europop (really white, actually empowering), and musicals (reminds me of Bollywood) - I don't really mind any of it.

I also think LGBT organisations are useless. I've never found them helpful and I get more from East Asian culture - that's before I look at East Asian LGBT organisations. I'm not the only one to say this so I'm not alone.

Culturalism

My biggest problem with westerners is how culturalist they are. I have read several comments/rants online that agree with me.

Caucasians like to look down on non-Western people, as if our culture is inferior or backwards to their culture. While this may not matter for blacks, it's the opposite for us; Hindu/Buddhist culture was far more progressive than Western culture ever was and homophobia was only introduced by European colonialists during imperialism.

Even now I find Eastern culture to be richer than Western culture. Looking back, I think Western culture is awful, and I've found far more solace in cultures like Japan or Thailand, and in ancient Dravidian culture. There are things that I've come across in Asian culture that I still haven't come across in European culture  (the most liberal area of Western culture for LGBT). Even the idea that Dravidian culture or Oriental culture can be superior to Western culture is dumbfounded on many gay Caucasians.

It's worse that the worst homophobia I have come across has been from the UK; at their schools or hospitals, cyber-bullying or insensitive cultures. Many Asian cultures actually do better than European cultures in these areas, and I have read several times about Caucasians going to the East to find a better life.

Proper Racism 

I've never actually experienced proper racism from the LGBT community, especially since I witness a lot of racism against blacks but not that much against me. 

The only racism I think I would call out on isn't really to do with the gay community but more to do with mainstream media.

Most of the time they are just too White-centrist and Christian. 

Sex

I've read up on this, and I've come to realise that the biggest positive about British culture is that they are the most sexual nation on earth. So in general I find sex easy, guys will hit on you during your commute, in clubs, at parties, out cruising, etc... I don't feel unsexy as an Indian in UK, unlike what I hear from Indians in USA.

Contrary to how people think here I usually feel superior to blacks and I never feel inferior to North Indians. I usually do not worry about colourism and I get the impression that the majority of gay guys don't really like blacks.

In comparison you guys seem really racist towards Indians. It's very different to how a British Indian is treated in the UK...

I spent a few hours in a cafe reading up on British Chinese people, and I've actually managed to collect my thoughts into something more ordered. 

This is what I remember:

• Most British Chinese are actually racist against Pakistanis and Blacks.
  • The vast majority of them also avoid black culture (like my school friends) and black culture is generally viewed as chavvy. 
  • White/black relationships are essentially lower class. (In UK classism is a stronger force than racism, but races are divided along class lines. Hence why the UK is usually seen as more friendly to Indians in comparison to USA.)
  • They also place Indians* above blacks sexually, though that doesn't mean all of them sexually like Indians to Orientals/Whites. Which is why I was so shocked to find Orientals actually liking blacks.

I think the difference in views/racism might be because most Chinese people in Britain are from Hong Kong and are heavily whitewashed.  But I've had a couple of Chinese friends (one of them a A* cricketer too) who weren't from HK, but we generally got along with similar racist attitudes, so it may also be assimilation into British culture.

The above is what I'm used to from Chinese people - I never feel like I'm on the wrong end of colourism or black culture, and we all hate Pakistanis.

*Another thing I was able to confirm was that the 'stereotypical Indian' in Britain is brown-skinned, so when I use the word Indian I mean brown-skinned South Indians (and not North Indians).

This is why I think you guys are actually racist. I've never felt I might be 'inferior' to blacks or worried about my skin colour; I can blame colourism on 1D, but any inferiority to blacks has to be from Oriental culture. Remember that Singapore is mainly Tamil too - I find it odd that we're racially better off in London of all places.

I was hoping for more from Singapore. I wanted you guys to be like Londoners, but less culturalist and more pro-indian. I don't really like Caucasians and I find you guys to be more sexually attractive, and the culture is sooo attractive too!

Actually I've never felt being masculine was positive in gay culture. Most gay culture I come across from white people usually gives off a feminine aroma - I've never come across gay guys being masculine as a good thing!

Maybe this is a European thing (I know Europeans and Middle Class tend to be more open towards being feminine), but gay guys generally orientate towards being feminine except in more homophobic cultures. I've always been brought up to identify gays as being feminine, and it's the same in places like India, Japan and Korea. I've read several times that gay guys tend to prefer feminine guys but it may have been a British/European perspective.

I have also never come across black culture in the LGBT community. It's surprising since even Japanese culture is very similar to British culture. Most our 'idols' are whiter than white - but again mainstream culture in Britain is also very white. For example, I wouldn't come across a black artist on facebook.

In Europe most gay guys tend to be really feminine - heck, most straight guys in Europe tend to be feminine! - even the manliest of men are metrosexual now! (Sometimes manliness is portrayed as chavvy.)

BTW: I know this isn't the place to discuss PRC and black culture, but seriously it's so intimidating! - in Britain (and presuming from my experience in France and Germany, in Europe too) it's so easy to write off blacks as chavvy. They are literally segregated into lower class ghettos and normal culture seriously lacks blacks.

Finally, a fully spelt-out informative perspective of racism in Singapore and within the LGBT community. This is why I have the UK in mind as a possible place to migrate to. 

Guest Guest

Finally, a fully spelt-out informative perspective of racism in Singapore and within the LGBT community. This is why I have the UK in mind as a possible place to migrate to. 

I am happy staying in Singapore, I find guys here more attractive.  :thumb:

If you notice, this isn't much of a problem with the straight community. I've seen so many multi-racial couples that I'm starting to wonder if it's becoming the 'in' thing to do. Or perhaps I'm just surrounded by people who don't have their heads stuck up their ass, which makes me pretty lucky.

I think that it becomes increasingly difficult when it comes to gays because the fear of social ostracization is already a lot to deal with. So why make things tougher by adding in the pressures of inter-racial dating? I can accept that most people simply want what's familiar and comfortable to them, and so the majority will always want to stick by the majority. 

The only advise I can give to other minorities is that you need to stop taking it personally. No amount of keyboard bashing is going to fix decades of social conditioning, especially when the target of your anger doesn't even see it as a problem to begin with. As a minority WITHIN a minority in Singapore (sikh), I feel like I am justified say this: stop giving a fuck about what other people like. 

• 2 months later...

There're ones who're capable of consuming the entire population wholesale, and those who just can't stand being next to something different. Then you have the extremists that outright derogate other races as inferior.

I'll be honest here. I rarely, if ever, sleep with someone other than those in the same colour (there are exceptions), but I feel more than just insulted being called a racist for that. I have more than enough platonic friends who're clad in different skin pigmentation to prove my point.

just because someone hypothesized something and went into the research with a preconceived notion - and subsequenly found something to suport the hypothesis - doesn't make it true.

this whole "sexual racism" label in itself has skewed the discussion.  everyone has his/her natural preferences.  sexually, i may no be naturally attraced to chubs, or musculars, or people taller than me, that doesn't mean i detest them as human beings, or look down at them in anyway whatsoever.  so why can't that be the case for race? 

if Glyph (sorry, using u as example) having rarely, if ever, slept with a member of another race was a conscious and rational decision on his end, then yes, racism might  have something to do with it.  however, if he's just naturally not sexually attracted to certain colors, then that's just a personal preference, simple as that.

isn't it kinda hypocritical to be standing on moral high ground and deny personal preferences under the guise of racial equality?  what about recognizing and respecting personal (+ natural) preferences, sexual, non-sexual, and otherwise?

just because someone hypothesized something and went into the research with a preconceived notion - and subsequenly found something to suport the hypothesis - doesn't make it true.

this whole "sexual racism" label in itself has skewed the discussion. everyone has his/her natural preferences. sexually, i may no be naturally attraced to chubs, or musculars, or people taller than me, that doesn't mean i detest them as human beings, or look down at them in anyway whatsoever. so why can't that be the case for race?

if Glyph (sorry, using u as example) having rarely, if ever, slept with a member of another race was a conscious and rational decision on his end, then yes, racism might have something to do with it. however, if he's just naturally not sexually attracted to certain colors, then that's just a personal preference, simple as that.

isn't it kinda hypocritical to be standing on moral high ground and deny personal preferences under the guise of racial equality? what about recognizing and respecting personal (+ natural) preferences, sexual, non-sexual, and otherwise?

Couldn't have said it better than that. I suspect this lack of respect for personal preferences comes from the same place as singaporeans having the most serious dearth in quality and quantity of emotions experienced among countries in the world, according to the gall up polls. Having watch "the giver" with the people dressed all in white reminded me of this. Pls do not attempt to make mate selection in the lgbt community another target for conformity like education and career choices.

I cant seriously see a problem with being a racist or having a personal prejudice so long as one is able to keep it private and can keep private thoughts private.

The problems of racism happens when governments formulate policies and actions and put race about rationality and puts race before merit like our neighboring cuntry up north.

We all can keep our own racial prejudice private. And our own personal preferences as to body parts and skin color private. It only becomes a problem when we restricts another person's rightful access to work,salary ,career, housing , education because of our own racial prejudices. As in our northern neighbour on their racial preference national policies that keep expanding in its catch all net.

If a person is able to be a racist and keep his professional and public life separate from his private thoughts and preferences then it should work out. Problems happen if one is not able to keeep his private life from affecting his decision in his public life.

As the saying goes. A leopard cannot change his spots. A racist will always be a racist. But there are rational full functioning racists and there hillbilly redneckb back mountain raging racists who let his ow n prejudice interfere his public space interaction.

Do not fall for the political correctness sweeping a lot of western countries now. I think they feel they have painted themselves intona corner with no room to move in order to be seen as all encompassing non racist.

Therefore. I disagree with the statement that racism and racist are all bad. Based on my observation with real life situations.there are highly functionong yet private r acist and they are alright.

--sorry.. wrong thread...

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Apply that to gay sexual attraction. 

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Seems like this bogus racial equality excuse had been used many times by even the most unattarctive of charactors to basically implicate an honest rejection based on charactor and personality with "racism". It's as absurd and laughable as religious people accusing others of infringing upon their religious freedom when they were called out for discriminating against others.

Whites started the racism first since colonization even in gay community white gay men are usually the most blunt about it in their dating profile stating No Asians, No Blacks,No Curry, etc. They denied that they are racist when ethnic minorities in white majority countries expressed their feeling that they had been discriminsted against. I find that whites are the most hyprocrite of all races always double standards in everyway they do towards non whites. As such most white countries have anti discriminstion act in place to prove the racism is alive. They complained only the white can be racist, well they started first since colonization began.

Whites started the racism first since colonization even in gay community white gay men are usually the most blunt about it in their dating profile stating No Asians, No Blacks,No Curry, etc. They denied that they are racist when ethnic minorities in white majority countries expressed their feeling that they had been discriminsted against. I find that whites are the most hyprocrite of all races always double standardhts in everyway they do towards non whites. As such most white countries have anti discriminstion act in place to prove the racism is alive. They complained only the white can be racist, well they started first since colonization began.

what a load of crap.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest State Race From Start

I wanted to respond to this post months ago, but I was working in the PRC where Google is banned so my reply would not go through due to Blowng Wind's interconnection through Captcha, and I did not have a VPN. Anyway these constant and unprovoked bashings by this Guest of Black Culture and Black Guys, which I assume he uses to mean African-Americans and African-Britons, really disgusts me.

What is Black Culture anyway? The people from Africa are culturally very different from Black people in America or Canada or Britain or the Caribbean or really anywhere in the world, just as Chinese people in Singapore are different in many respects from the non-mannered and bad-breathed Chinese people in the PRC, so these sweeping generalizations of Black Culture are actually pretty useless in here.

If the Guest means aspects of African-American culture like basketball and hip-hop music, which are indeed popular in the PRC, what is the problem with that? They are simply a sport and a form of entertainment. Why would somebody "look down" on that? Hollywood obviously glorifies negative things like guns, drugs, and gangs, but their agenda is to make action movies, not create documentaries on real life.

Why does anybody have a need to "feel superior" to anyone else? Just live and let live. I have never been bothered by anybody's race. What bothers me is when people lack hygiene and manners. I absolutely hate smelly armpits and stinky breath. Those are a much bigger problem than anyone's skin color. If people are nice and clean, and carry themselves with confidence, we will get along perfectly fine.

I also think we need to stop equating physical preferences with racism. Different races have different physical characteristics, and what people are attracted to, are the physical characteristics. Caucasians have blue eyes. Indians don't. Somebody who loves blue eyes will, therefore, go for Caucasians. East Asians mostly have almond-shaped eyes and smooth bodies. Arabians don't. Same principle again.

What people want in bed, however, does not make them racists in real life. Some people are very narrow in terms of the physical characteristics that turn them on. Other people are complete sluts and will have sex with anything that moves. And then there are people whose preferences fall somewhere in between. We need to be mature about it and move on. Somebody is out there for you. Keep looking.

I have always seen whites, other races I hardly seen tend to say no Asians, blacks, etc in their online profile especially when looking for casual sex, is it they are no manners or just insenditive to what others might feel?

Guest Face Mask

I have always seen whites, other races I hardly seen tend to say no Asians, blacks, etc in their online profile especially when looking for casual sex, is it they are no manners or just insenditive to what others might feel?

No manners and very insensitive.

Ang Mohs are very mean and show their true colour behind you.

No idea how to address this because it's just plain racism. Stop attributing people's misdoings to their race based on your own sample size, there is absolutely no relation. None.

It doesn't take a lot to figure anyone can be a complete A-hole behind your back, open your eyes already.

I don't know about you but I personally felt offended when seeing someone profile (99.99% are Ang Moh) saying No Asians. Blacks and so on, to me it is not only hurting the feeling, unless you'have no feelings(it can't be right afetr all We're all humans with feeling) or very insensitive like them.

• Guest locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.