Male HQ

Holiday Experience In Sri Lanka

Guest Sri Lanka holiday

Guest Sri Lanka holiday

Hi guys, I am going to Sri Lanka for a holiday soon. Anyone has some holiday experience or recommendation (things to do, things to buy, massage...etc....) in Sri Lanka to share, since this is my 1st trip there, My thank in advance...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Negombo

Which part of Sri Lanka are you going? Kandy and Dambulla is a good place to start. If you can travel, nurwa eliya can be reached by a beautiful train ride and u get the best tea from there. Galle

Fort is very good for cruising. I jerked off a horny policeman there.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Colombo on a whirlwind working trip.

The trip wasnt as bad as I would anticipate.

The food and people were pleasant and courteous.

As I was staying in a condotel, there is much to speak of the living conditions.

One thing though was shops closed very early and the only outlets opened were restaurants along the esplanade.

My only complaint: The hour and a half journey to and from the airport.

There is only one road to the airport and it is used by lorries, tuk-tuks, large containers and private cars.

Colombo, Sri Lanka, Hasta la vista.

Guest Marad44
Hi guys, I am going to Sri Lanka for a holiday soon... this is my 1st trip there...

How did it go SLH? Preparations are under way for a family reunion from seven countries in December.

• 1 month later...
Guest bjbjboy

I spent the last 2 Xmas/New Year holidays in SL.

You pretty much have 3 options:

1) Cities, like Galle and Colombo

2) Traditional tourist sites like Nuwara Eliya, southeast coast beaches, and Galle, Sigiriya, and Kandy, another big hill station city

3) Former war-zone areas that are still Tamil majority, like Ella, and the East Coast (my preference because tourism is just beginning and locals seem so appreciative and welcoming)

Ella is a small tea plantation town in the mountains, just beautiful and peaceful. 2-3 nights to chill and walk around.

Galle is a nice old fort city, stay in the fort area if possible. 1-2 nights to walk and explore.

Sigiriya is a stunning towering rock that a prince made into a castle/tower. Totally worth the trip, you will spend maybe 3-4 hours there, or more. You can do a very long day trip from Colombo but better as a side trip from Kandy or on the way to/from Trincomalee.

Colombo is a pretty terrible, dirty, crazy city with plenty of problems--but still I actually like it, great food and energy.

Took the night train from Colombo to Trincomalee. First Class tickets cost US$8 or so one-way. It's a brutal trip, but you do get a clean (but old) 2-person berth. It's a bone-jarring trip, especially the first 4 hours; the last 2 or 3 are a little easier on the bones.

Trincomalee has nice beaches, especially in June-August, from what I'm told.

No out gay life at all, but actually I was approached by a local who worked for the government... who wanted to come to my hotel and sleep with me. I agreed. :) In Trinco, we booked a cheap 2* hotel on the beach, it was acceptable but nothing special. Reasonably interesting market in town, plus a good cliff/seaside temple.

Colombo's Hilton Hotel has really excellent restaurants--Japanese and Sri Lankan, also Italian. Loved staying there, decent pool too. US$120 per night there.

Negombo is a disgusting beach town geared toward tourists where you will find the only gay life in the country--a few gay guesthouses and gay locals. It's OK as a first/last night accommodation, since the city center is really like 60-90 minutes from the airport, unless you arrive late at night (the SQ and CX flights arrive after midnight, so you can be in the city center in around 35-45 min).

I totally recommend it, it's worth your time and money and energy--but it's not a gay paradise, it doesn't really have much in terms of established gay life--but on the other hand, it also seems to have good opportunities for meeting guys!

• 1 year later...

Glad to see a thread on Sri Lanka :)

I'm going there with 2 buddies from August 2-11:

Colombo: 2 nights

Nuwara Eliya: 1 night

Kandy: 1 night

Sigiriya: 2 nights

Negombo, 3 nights

Not enough time to head down to Galle unfortunately...

Just a question, what would the budget be for food, per day? I mean, just regular restaurants? no street food for the moment haha.

• 1 month later...

After returning from our Sri Lankan adventure holiday I decided that sharing our experiences in Sri Lanka might help others planning a similar trip. So welcome to our real life holiday truths.

Sri Lankan holiday really was a family adventure, on our holiday we saw just 2 snakes and one of those was from the side of speeding safari jeep! So this site simply records our Sri Lankan family holiday journey and reflects on what went well and what didn’t. It is entirely our opinion and others may well disagree with us with these but you can decide for yourself if you travel to Sri Lanka. for more infomation on srilanka travel trips planning visit this web site goholidayinsrilanka.com

Edited by goholidayinsrilanka

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Enelym1978.. I was there almost the same date as you..  

For me I had a very tight schedule and what I wanted is to get the glimpse or the highlights of Sri Lanka. To make this works, I hired a car with driver to shorten the travelling time as I know public transport (buses/trains) would take a lot of time due to their own schedules.

Day 1 – Negombo (walking around the surroundings and went to the beach)
Day 2 – Left Negombo and drive to Wilpattu National Park. Spend half a day there touring and stayed overnight
Day 3 – Left Wilpattu National Park to Anuradhapura. We visited the sights from morning till evening and drove towards Trincomalee
Day 4/5 – Visited Trincomalee and spend 2 nights there. Visited around the town area and also went to the beach.
Day 6 – Left Trincomalee and drove to Polonnaruwa. Visited the sites from morning till late afternoon and proceed to drive to Sigiriya. We visited the ancient city and stayed a night there.
Day 7 – Left Sigiriya and stop over Dambulla on our way to Kandy. Only spend half a day there as all guesthouse fully booked due to Perahera festival. Our regret is not catching with the Perahera as it will be too late by then to drive to Nuwara Eliya. We stop by few places while on the way to Nuwara Eliya and the waterfall is so nice.
Day 8 – Climb the Worlds End and another half day spend walking around Nuwara Eliya town.
Day 9 – Left Nuwara Eliya and we took a train to Ella as our driver told us the view from the train from Nuwara Eliya to Ella is beautiful and it was indeed! Our driver waited for us at Ella train station and he reached there earlier then us. We climb the little Adam’s Peak and also another waterfall area.
Day 10 – Left Ella and drove towards Galle. We stopped by few places in between to view some sites. Reached Galle by 6pm and it’s just nice for watching the sunset near the Galle Fort. We bid our driver goodbye from here.

Day 11/12 - The rest of the remaining days we spend 2 nights at Galle and took the train back to Colombo Fort and walk around Colombo before our flight departure.

It has been quite a rush but we covered the main attractions as what we have planned and even added in Trincomalee which was not in our initial plan. So at least now we know where to head on to on our 2nd visit and pay more attention to it. The South is amazing and we will spend more days there on our next trip. All these would not be possible without car and driver and indeed it saves us a lot of travelling time.

• 2 years later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.