Male HQ

Is The Peranakan Gay Different?

Guest Marad44

Guest Marad44

I've just finished watching the UKM Life Science Project's video production, The Melaka Story - Simply Peranakan on Youtube. Intrigued, I read the BW forums,

1) History of Nonya

2) Banana: Are You One?

3) Little Nonya

My intrigue is, is the Baba - Nonya spirit still deeply entrenched among the Peranakans of today or has it diluted out with the passing of time? Do you, as a Peranakan or observer, feel the gay Peranakan is different in outlook and choices?

Here is the video:

=======

Edit to allow video to be viewed

Edited by GachiMuchi

Guest Passingthru
....is the Baba - Nonya spirit still deeply entrenched among the Peranakans of today or has it diluted out with the passing of time?

As a general rule, the culture has gone through 5 statuses:

- elitism. Wealth, prestige and privileges beyond the imagination of most pedestrians/plebeians due to pioneering and proximity to the colonials.

- decline......with the advent of WW2 and the demise of colonialism.

- ambiguity. The inability to find a fit for a culture and people deemed "neither here nor there".

- re-sinification. Social fatigue compelling an effort to join and be accepted by the mainstream Chinese.

- renaissance......with the advent of a world made highly flexible and brimming with possibilities, 'odd' has been replaced with "unique" and "worthy"; 'strange' with "refreshing" and "enlightening".

How much of the real culture is still preserved is anybody's guess. The peranakans weren't exactly good record keepers plus the culture was forever evolving with the times and tangibles.

Do you............ feel the gay Peranakan is different in outlook and choices?

Yes and no.

Yes because many are influenced/nurtured by the strong matriarchal culture and so such gays become either very 'woman' even bitchy &/or effete outwardly or otherwise........all in tune and in imitation of the female icons of the family.

No because gays comprise a whole spectrum of reasons for being the way they are.

As a general rule, the culture has gone through 5 statuses:

- elitism. Wealth, prestige and privileges beyond the imagination of most pedestrians/plebeians due to pioneering and proximity to the colonials.

- decline......with the advent of WW2 and the demise of colonialism.

- ambiguity. The inability to find a fit for a culture and people deemed "neither here nor there".

- re-sinification. Social fatigue compelling an effort to join and be accepted by the mainstream Chinese.

- renaissance......with the advent of a world made highly flexible and brimming with possibilities, 'odd' has been replaced with "unique" and "worthy"; 'strange' with "refreshing" and "enlightening".

How much of the real culture is still preserved is anybody's guess. The peranakans weren't exactly good record keepers plus the culture was forever evolving with the times and tangibles.

Yes and no.

Yes because many are influenced/nurtured by the strong matriarchal culture and so such gays become either very 'woman' even bitchy &/or effete outwardly or otherwise........all in tune and in imitation of the female icons of the family.

No because gays comprise a whole spectrum of reasons for being the way they are.

u mean, Lao Lao (in A Chinese Ghost Story)?

OMG I actually chuckled when i watch the video. ITS SO TRUE! my grandma celebrate and follow all those on the chinese calender and she speak exactly the same and they do form their own words! LOL the furniture which is still around with my grandmother is being moved around as she changes her flat and her previous house used to have the whole floor marbled.

AWWWH the food. I didnt know what i was eating as I grew up until "Little Nyonya" was on mediacorp only then i realise what my heritage is and what was I eating. LMAO

GOD this video is awesome!!

Hey hey I'm Peranakan..

Okay, as for Peranakan gays.. I can't say I've met a lot.

It's... not common for me to bump into any gay guys, and less so for Peranakan guys, so when it comes to thinking of all the Peranakan gay people I know.. that's probably just me and maybe another member of my family hahahahaa. ('maybe' cause he hasn't disclosed it yet, but it's kinda obvious lol)

After living a short life as a Gen Y Peranakan, I'm confident in saying a few things...

1) We're very loud and expressive people. I've rarely met anyone in my family who bears a shy/soft-spoken character. (Oh btw my family tree's quite huge, and both my parents have Peranakan branches in their side of the family tree)

2) We've got quite a bit of culture. I mean, that's kinda obvious (I THINK...) but whatever culture there is, it's kinda ending.. in my generation, from what I'm experiencing and seeing. Most of the people in my gen can't speak baba melayu... some can understand, but most can't, including myself. Not everyone bothers to wear the traditional costumes/clothes during like weddings, etc.

The one part of our culture that isn't dying is the food ^^ I must say.

3) In terms of language spoken, we're all on the preference of English, save for the older generations who still manage to incorporate baba melayu in their everyday lives. So the most of us consume English media and....... for some reason, I notice a good number of family members being very involved in the arts, or at least having something to do with some form of art, as a hobbyist, professional, etc, be it in literature, television, etc... Pretty cultured people la, in a way.

4) We have the best tasting cuisine in the world and your argument is invalid XD But there's a saying, which I totally agree with, that the best Peranakan food you can find, is the one you find at home.

This is all said from what I've seen in my family.. although, I feel the first point stays valid for all the Peranakans I know, in and out of my family tree.

"One of the best things about a forum is that it's a place where you can find the most random and outrageous quotes on the internet." - Ghandi

Hey hey I'm Peranakan.. Okay, as for Peranakan gays.. I can't say I've met a lot. It's... not common for me to bump into any gay guys, and less so for Peranakan guys, so when it comes to thinking of all the Peranakan gay people I know.. that's probably just me and maybe another member of my family hahahahaa. ('maybe' cause he hasn't disclosed it yet, but it's kinda obvious lol) After living a short life as a Gen Y Peranakan, I'm confident in saying a few things... 1) We're very loud and expressive people. I've rarely met anyone in my family who bears a shy/soft-spoken character. (Oh btw my family tree's quite huge, and both my parents have Peranakan branches in their side of the family tree) 2) We've got quite a bit of culture. I mean, that's kinda obvious (I THINK...) but whatever culture there is, it's kinda ending.. in my generation, from what I'm experiencing and seeing. Most of the people in my gen can't speak baba melayu... some can understand, but most can't, including myself. Not everyone bothers to wear the traditional costumes/clothes during like weddings, etc. The one part of our culture that isn't dying is the food ^^ I must say. 3) In terms of language spoken, we're all on the preference of English, save for the older generations who still manage to incorporate baba melayu in their everyday lives. So the most of us consume English media and....... for some reason, I notice a good number of family members being very involved in the arts, or at least having something to do with some form of art, as a hobbyist, professional, etc, be it in literature, television, etc... Pretty cultured people la, in a way. 4) We have the best tasting cuisine in the world and your argument is invalid XD But there's a saying, which I totally agree with, that the best Peranakan food you can find, is the one you find at home. This is all said from what I've seen in my family.. although, I feel the first point stays valid for all the Peranakans I know, in and out of my family tree.

but the food but is dying out and not really passing down into the generation....

i remember my grandmother's food was really good, but when my mom cook it. It make me want to buy takeaway home LMAO!

sadly my dad side isn't peranakan, i think.

but the food but is dying out and not really passing down into the generation....

i remember my grandmother's food was really good, but when my mom cook it. It make me want to buy takeaway home LMAO!

sadly my dad side isn't peranakan, i think.

Yes omg and everyone kinda has different variations of the same dishes... that's kinda why the 'best' peranakan food is what you find at home.

LEARN ALL DA PERANAKAN DISHES!!

\(^O^)/

"One of the best things about a forum is that it's a place where you can find the most random and outrageous quotes on the internet." - Ghandi

Yes omg and everyone kinda has different variations of the same dishes... that's kinda why the 'best' peranakan food is what you find at home. LEARN ALL DA PERANAKAN DISHES!! \(^O^)/

o well the skill is lost. i remember every year we celebrate CNY at my grandma house the best thing is the food. but the skill is lost, my grandma's maid is cooking now.

• 1 year later...

I decided to revive this thread.  :rolleyes:

Hey hey I'm Peranakan..

Okay, as for Peranakan gays.. I can't say I've met a lot.
It's... not common for me to bump into any gay guys, and less so for Peranakan guys, so when it comes to thinking of all the Peranakan gay people I know.. that's probably just me and maybe another member of my family hahahahaa. ('maybe' cause he hasn't disclosed it yet, but it's kinda obvious lol)

After living a short life as a Gen Y Peranakan, I'm confident in saying a few things...

1) We're very loud and expressive people. I've rarely met anyone in my family who bears a shy/soft-spoken character. (Oh btw my family tree's quite huge, and both my parents have Peranakan branches in their side of the family tree)

2) We've got quite a bit of culture. I mean, that's kinda obvious (I THINK...) but whatever culture there is, it's kinda ending.. in my generation, from what I'm experiencing and seeing. Most of the people in my gen can't speak baba melayu... some can understand, but most can't, including myself. Not everyone bothers to wear the traditional costumes/clothes during like weddings, etc.
The one part of our culture that isn't dying is the food ^^ I must say.

3) In terms of language spoken, we're all on the preference of English, save for the older generations who still manage to incorporate baba melayu in their everyday lives. So the most of us consume English media and....... for some reason, I notice a good number of family members being very involved in the arts, or at least having something to do with some form of art, as a hobbyist, professional, etc, be it in literature, television, etc... Pretty cultured people la, in a way.

4) We have the best tasting cuisine in the world and your argument is invalid XD But there's a saying, which I totally agree with, that the best Peranakan food you can find, is the one you find at home.

This is all said from what I've seen in my family.. although, I feel the first point stays valid for all the Peranakans I know, in and out of my family tree.

1. Most of my family are loud & expressive but my mother (who is Peranakan) isn't. I'm also quite reclusive at family gatherings.

On Sunday mornings, my aunt always bellows around the house so we always end up getting up.

My grandmother passed away before I was born and my aunts told me it was a huge thunderstorm in the house when my grandmother got really pissed off.

2. I can't speak baba Melayu too. The women in my family only wear sarong kebaya on weddings. Though I think the baju panjang looks really good. (Completely phased out in my family. Only my grandmother wore baju panjang.)

I can still understand bits of Malay because my older aunts have Peranakan social circles so they speak completely in Malay. And for the record, most of my family speak Mandarin in monotone. I speak Mandarin like President Tony Tan too.

3. My generation of cousins only speak in English. Malay has been completely phased out. There is still some mixture of Malay but not too significant. To be honest, when I first went to primary school, I used some Malay words but I realised it wasn't English...

4. I don't really eat at Peranakan restaurants. Actually, I think my aunt cooks the best Peranakan food. Only one cousin of mine inherited her cooking so we are dependent on him to carry on the tradition.  :rolleyes:

My cousin is likely gay I think. He loves doing domestic stuff and he has learnt to make kasu manek (the shoes). When he was younger, he was also doing quite some gymning.

For the record, he's a teacher too.  -_-

Previously, a friend told me that he felt most Peranakan men have good genes and quite good looking, perhaps due to nutrition since Peranakans were quite wealthy in the past.

When I was at Katong, I visited shops run by Peranakans. 

Somehow matured Peranakan men can be quite hot. They have the body, good (slightly dark) skin, and the Peranakan English accent (slightly classier).

Some Peranakans also have the mixed look. Someone told me that he thought I was Malay, but I looked quite like a fair Malay when I was a kid.

Personally, when I went to Japan, some Japanese thought I was a local. But usually what looks Japanese is usually Chinese people with a slight non-Chinese look i.e. Peranakan people may fit the bill.

Peranakan people can kind of pass off as Japanese if they know how to dress up.  :rolleyes:

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

• 2 years later...
Guest Peranakan

I'm peranakan, I can confirm not ALL Peranakans have mixed Malay or else look as some can still have strong Chinese features even siblings can look different.

And not all speak LOUDLY, especially if gay can be the most soft spoken person and have very delicate heart...lol.

The common ingredients of most peranakan dishes are the use of dried prawns (ebi) in almost any single dish and belacan adopted from the Malay culture. I couldn't agree more, the best peranakan dishes are from it's own family and not same from one to another peranakan families.

Yes it is a unique and colorful culture, but it is a pidgin culture. Hence there isn't much original high culture involved except what is borrowed from its progenitor Malay and Chinese cultures.

Back in the days before the Little Nonya, my mother told me that Peranakans were shameful for embracing Malay culture and not being fully chinese.

I ended up dating a Peranakan boy for 5 years :P

On 26/12/2013 at 3:08 PM, darkflame said:

Previously, a friend told me that he felt most Peranakan men have good genes and quite good looking, perhaps due to nutrition since Peranakans were quite wealthy in the past.

Personally, when I went to Japan, some Japanese thought I was a local. But usually what looks Japanese is usually Chinese people with a slight non-Chinese look i.e. Peranakan people may fit the bill.

Peranakan people can kind of pass off as Japanese if they know how to dress up.  :rolleyes:

According to some claims, Peranakans descended from when Cheng Ho travelled south from the Ming Dynasty. It is said, some of the Chinese princesses were subsequently married to Malay chiefs/sultans to seal political connections, resulting in the mixed genes and culture. That, apparently, was where the good-looking genes came from: smooth, fair complexions, rosy lips etc. The Japanese have their 'dynastic' origins: said to be virgins sent by Qin Emperor Shi Huang Di to search for immortality elixir in the eastern islands. So Japanese were descended from superior Chinese genes, accompanied by elaborate 'royal' culture and traditions!

I'm peranakan gay, in terms of appearance or look, when in Thailand, the local told me that I looked Thai..lol, but the Malays will see me as Cina...lol.

Peranakan gays are usually open minded as in their views of other cultures probably due to their upbringing and culture of mixing with the Malays, and the colonialists of the past. They also tend to speak articulately and softly due the Malay influence as speaking loudly boorish behaviour are seen as ungracious in Malay culture.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2016 at 11:35 AM, Guest Peranakan said:

I'm peranakan, I can confirm not ALL Peranakans have mixed Malay or else look as some can still have strong Chinese features even siblings can look different.

And not all speak LOUDLY, especially if gay can be the most soft spoken person and have very delicate heart...lol.

The common ingredients of most peranakan dishes are the use of dried prawns (ebi) in almost any single dish and belacan adopted from the Malay culture. I couldn't agree more, the best peranakan dishes are from it's own family and not same from one to another peranakan families.

IMG_20130831_200852.jpg

I thought the left baba's strong Chinese features make him look rather cute. :D

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2016 at 3:09 PM, merc said:

Will be interesting when all Peranakan guys meet. Am a true blue Peranakan who speaks fluent malay.

Any still speak malay at home?

It's not really Malay right? I mean it's pretty close to Malay but it's still abit different.

2 hours ago, Guest said:

It's not really Malay right? I mean it's pretty close to Malay but it's still abit different.

It's true, not entirely malay but close to malay language with a character of its own.

Anyone speaks baba melayu and for that matter, still embrace t Peranakan culture?

The Baba and Nyonya culture and customs are a potpourri of practices from the other ethnic groups.  We borrowed the spice (rempah and not lan-pah) from the Malays but we have pork in our cuisines, Babi Pongteh is still one of my favourite food.  

So, it is a convergence of many practices... we still pray to Kitchen God and do all the Chinese rituals although the use of the Chinese language is minimal.  Just say, the colloquialism used is a mix of Malay words, English phrases and overt use of jelaka, kecoak (to curse and swear) and some smattering of several Chinese dialects.

My maternal grandma taught me some words but she passed away too early before I can master this rojak campur properly (sigh) ... I learnt to sing the Indonesian folk song, "Burung kakatua" (http://www.mamalisa.com/?p=584&t=es&c=73) way before I was taught "泥娃娃“ and "妈妈好”  in kindergarten back in the mid-60s (super long time ago!)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Supernatural

I have come accross an interesting blogpost about supernatural practices of Malaccan Nyonyas. Read it here. It is about using a medium to call upon the spirit of 'Puteri Gunung Ledang' (the hindu-javanese princess who the sultan of malacca wanted to marry) for help in earthly matters. The princess is evoked through recitation of a syair (a type of poem, like a pantun). Only female descendants of these mediums are able to contact the spirit. As most should be aware, the earliest Peranakans were the result of marriage between Chinese men and non-muslim Malays and other pribumi. It appears that these women passed on their knowledge of their old hindu or animist supernatural traditions to their descendants.

We knew both our grandfathers came from Yongchun, China and had married the local women or nyonyas, but somehow not much is known about their wives ancestral lineage. I once asked mother about my own grandma’s root and she said grandma told her she only know her ancestors had lived in Melaka for a very long time. Perhaps, like Puteri Gunung Ledang whose origin is shrouded in mystery,  the origin of the nyonyas too will remain a mystery and a subject of conjecture.

Anyone else know of supernatural traditions specific to Peranakan culture?

@ atas poster.

Peranakan food are time consuming and labour intensive if you don't know it and the ingredients are mostly not cheap items such as prawns, fish, etc of premium quality and the rempah are hand ponded that believed to be more sedap than using a blender, hence the price is expensive.

3 minutes ago, Guest said:

@ atas poster.

Peranakan food are time consuming and labour intensive if you don't know it and the ingredients are mostly not cheap items such as prawns, fish, etc of premium quality and the rempah are hand ponded that believed to be more sedap than using a blender, hence the price is expensive.

One can use all reasons  for a rip off price , all I know is that  many peranakans live in bungalows and landed property !

@ atas poster 

Most peranakans are decendant of rich Babas, of course they have the old monies. Are you jelous ah was not born peranakan or in an elite familee?

All the baba gays i know r effeminate.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

@ atas poster.

I'd say gracious ku niang as peranakan nyonyas are naturally ku niang, of course the gay ones will learned from their nyonyas mother.

2 hours ago, Guest said:

@ atas poster 

Most peranakans are decendant of rich Babas, of course they have the old monies. Are you jelous ah was not born peranakan or in an elite familee?

Born rich and continuing ripping off ? 

On 06/04/2016 at 7:30 AM, Guest said:

@ atas poster 

The elite FamiLee is also of Peranakan stock.

Oh ! They will recite you a panton bfore making out, if u return their panton not to their liking, they will throw u off bed.

Trust me.

I fucked one before after meeting him at fort road and tapas back to his house in JC. He didn't recite Paton but was very vocal, moan like singing. 

4 minutes ago, Guest RongGeng said:

Correct spelling is Pantun.

Alamak I thought what was paton, haha. New gen peranakans tak pandai berpantun lah.

The most manly baba guy i know is pp.

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

• Guest locked this topic