Male HQ

Scuba Diving (Compiled)

Guest ah fat

Don't bother studying diving in Singapore. Here, doing your Open Water certification its very leche and time consuming.. weekend theory lessons/mass orgy in Outram pool with all those young kids. And then you take a very LC coach cramped with students to Mersing. Arrive at midnight, slow boat to Aur/Tioman at 5am.. then you only have 3 hours sleep before you do your 4 qualifying dives in a single day. Some more, the water in Malaysia sucks.

On the other hand, you can fly to Bali/Phuket/Samui. Enjoy the sun while you study for your exams on the beach with a drink. Do your first ever dives in pristine waters, marvelling at all the sea creatures. Not to mention gay friendly dive schools with nice partners to buddy. Finish your course in 3 or 4 days. All for the same price as a course in Singapore.

PM me if you need a gay scuba instructor in these places.

Guest artemov

Yes the Aur/Perhentian sub-S$300 cheapass tertiary students dive courses can be crappy, but if you are young and adventurous, they can be a lot of fun. I got my certificates this way :P

If you are more willing to spend, you should go to Bali (water a bit too cold), Manado or Sipadan to take your openwater. Fantastically clear waters with abundance of sea lives.

Try Mako Sub-Aquatics. No nonsense approach and they teach well. This is a NAUI course and they heavily emphasise on water safety. I did both my open water and advanced courses with them. They're located at the Ayer Rajah industrial park area and their website is www.makosubaquatics.com

Have fun, dive safely :thumb:

"Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok"

• 1 month later...
Guest Clown Fish

MAKO is good. But the instructors can be really serious sometimes. If you are serious into the sport, go MAKO. But, if you just want to get a certification, with little stress, and lots of fun, there's this dive shop called "scuba connection". The owner is a damn cute cub, but he's straight and seriously involved with his current girlfriend. Alternatively, you could also consider a NAUI course in Aur, I've heard good comments on it.

Anyway, the dive seasons for Tioman/ Aur have closed. So you'll have to wait for a few months before considering taking your open waters. I won't encourage taking your Open waters in Bali. The current can be rough and tough, and a little bit harsh on the newbies. I've seen an ang mor drop out from her open water course in Bali, because the waters were especially intimidating thodse few days. Every year, without fail, there are casualties while diving in Nusa Penida, and many of the casualties are the so-called experienced divers. Just a few months back in August, a Czeh lady was drifted away by the currents at Blue Corner, and the body floated back after 5 days. Eye-witnesses comments were that her face non-existence,as it was totally nibbed off by the marine creatures.

Nevertheless, do not be deterred by "horror" stories, some of which are over-dramatised and exagerated. Scuba diving itself is a SAFE sports, as long as you keep to your drills, know your limits and boundaries and most importantly: RESPECT THE SEA!

Guest artemov

I agree that the MAKO instructors are serious, but serious in a sense that they are relatively humorless. Whether the training is serious or not, I have no basis for comparison. To me its average, having took both my NAUI basic and advanced from MAKO. All I can say is that they won't fail you unless you are seriously fxxked up.

The Bali satellite islands in the Lombok Strait, e.g. Nusa Penida, are not for beginners at all. They are rated as one of the more dangerous dives in world. The Indonesian Throughput current flows from the Pacific to the Indian Ocean through this narrow channel. The currents are cold and fast, not for the faint hearted. But one good thing is that sightings of the spectacular Mola Mola are almost guaranteed at some sites. Beginners friendly places in Bali are in the north and north west coast, including the fantastic Menjangan island.

Actually diving is not a safe sport. We can never predict the sea. We can only minimize the risks. Even super experienced divers get killed sometimes. It is listed as a dangerous sport under insurances. One research actually shows that micro bubbles and lesions form in the brain of frequent divers, no matter how slow they ascend. The human body is not designed for that kind of tremendous pressure and environment.

I did my basic open water and advanced in Phuket.

It was fun but recommend that you pay extra and dive during the high seasons when the water is much calmer ( nov to mar/april). The seas were pretty rough in the low season and saw one trainee drop out cos she panicked when she was swept away by the current.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi folks,

Anyone interested in scuba diving pls PM me. I would like to start a small interest group of scuba divers over here. - Check out our photos

Pre-requisite, can at least paddle water and swim 50m for open water license. (its not that difficult la, the pool dive will be quite an experience to begin with)

What do you have, well for starters you'll get the personal attention of an instructor certifier "meaning you can't have it better cause nothing higher than that oreidi" from Scuba School International - (cute and boyish) :P haa haa. And a group of his other instructors who are master divers and above. Equally cute and nice. haa haa.

I think you could enjoy a better discount than market price.

So if you are interested to have a "national geographic" kind of experience and become a guest of the sea, then don't hesitate to PM me.

Until then,

Ben

Edited by Kahlua

• 1 year later...

hi. would like to take up diving hobby. would appreciate it if anyone can point me to the right direction of a good scuba diving

Divers owed $20,000

A GROUP of 17 Singapore dive enthusiasts who went for a trip to Malaysia more than a week ago found themselves with $20,000 less.

For their six-day-five-night trip, they were told by Mr Lim Lye Heng, 37, director of dive shop Reeffinder International, to pay an extra RM1,930 (S$824) each after reaching Malaysia - on top of the $1,180 they had already paid. His reason: The cheque given to the Sipadan resort in East Malaysia, where they would be going the next day, had bounced.

'He said we have to arrange our own flights back if we didn't want to pay. The situation was intimidating,' said one of the divers, Ms Sharon Lim. The group had to fork out an additional RM1,152 as well, for one night's stay at their stopover at Sempxxna, she said. The 32-year-old assistant marketing manager said Mr Lim told them he would work out the repayment details when they returned to Singapore last Tuesday.

my paper contacted Mr Lim on the phone yesterday. 'I knew I could not pay them immediately when we reached Singapore,' he said, attributing the problem to 'personal problems with money and debt'. 'I was not thinking straight, I was desperate,' he added. He said that a friend had agreed to lend him money to pay for the dive trip, but pulled out the day before the trip, which left him scrambling. 'What's the point of blowing this up now? Do they want me to go to prison? I'm already trying to pay them back slowly,' he said. 'Now I'm trying to find a job as a driver or something so I can pay these divers back in instalments.'

A friend of Mr Lim, Mr Colin Koh, turned up at the airport when the dive team returned. Mr Koh, a travel agent, said he was at the airport because he knew Mr Lim had 'run into some problems'. 'I offered the divers some money to buy time for him, as he is my friend,' he said. When the divers decided to lodge a police report, Mr Koh said he would give them $300 each if they would not do so until a week later. But they did not take up his offer.

'The dive industry needs some regulation to prevent this from happening,' Ms Lim explained. 'He signed IOUs for each of us, and gave us photocopies of his identity card and passport,' she said. The handwritten IOU has a thumbprint on it, she said. The police have confirmed that at least 10 reports were made and are looking into the matter. -- MY PAPER

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_520533.html

• 1 year later...
Guest IamPineapple

As above :)

Preferable around age 18 - 26 ( I'm sorry for age discrimination >_< )

Min. Requirement : -

Next Sail : -

Estimated Cost with equipment rental : -

Meeting Place : -

If interested, please drop a post here ~

Current on this upcoming trip -

-

[media=]

Trip was over ! It's fun !!

Edited by IamPineapple

Guest IamPineapple

Scuba diver report in... but a poor one, i.e. couldn't afford much dive trips lol~

Looks like there aren't many divers here to start with... :unsure:

Yeah... guess we are the few sacred ones, who are diver here... how often do you dive... ?

I was planning for 1 or 2 trips per year... normally after my exams :D

PS: short intro plz ?

Edited by IamPineapple

Just a random human of 27 years old, 173 in height but 83kg which means I'm fat and overweight :lol:

I'll dive for work (as a biologist) occasionally, but that's singapore water (if you can dive here well, you can dive anywhere) :B)

As for dive trip, now that I start to earn myself some income, will try to make it 2 to 3 trips per year bah... Going to Bali next month, burn money :ph34r:

Edited by Lovensick

Guest IamPineapple

Just a random human of 27 years old, 173 in height but 83kg which means I'm fat and overweight :lol:

I'll dive for work (as a biologist) occasionally, but that's singapore water (if you can dive here well, you can dive anywhere) :B)

As for dive trip, now that I start to earn myself some income, will try to make it 2 to 3 trips per year bah... Going to Bali next month, burn money :ph34r:

Singapore water sucks... viability so low... low till cmi

I was targeting to go Sipadan

Oh you dive in Singapore before? The vis is OK-ish (5m? :P) in November-December period, the diversity is actually quite impressive, if you get to see them lah haha~ :D

Sipadan should be great, try Lembeh too if you want, cheap and people say very nice... think it'll be more and more crowded and expensive as it's getting popular... see the good stuff before they're gone! haha~ well, that's if you can print money :P

Guest IamPineapple

Oh you dive in Singapore before? The vis is OK-ish (5m? :P) in November-December period, the diversity is actually quite impressive, if you get to see them lah haha~ :D

Sipadan should be great, try Lembeh too if you want, cheap and people say very nice... think it'll be more and more crowded and expensive as it's getting popular... see the good stuff before they're gone! haha~ well, that's if you can print money :P

Yeah i dive once and i regret diving in SG... Lembeh, how much is 1 dive trip cost with air tickx... i heard Manando is not bad also, might considering going there after my Sept/Aug exams... haha :D

Edited by IamPineapple

Yeah i dive once and i regret diving in SG... Lembeh, how much is 1 dive trip cost with air tickx... i heard Manando is not bad also, might considering going there after my Sept/Aug exams... haha :D

Oh... basically you go Manado to dive in Lembeh :) I think for a cheaper resort you can get about 1k bah :)

So cool already planning for post-exam trip... hehehe~

Guest IamPineapple

Oh... basically you go Manado to dive in Lembeh :) I think for a cheaper resort you can get about 1k bah :)

So cool already planning for post-exam trip... hehehe~

The only thing which keep me moving is diving trips and friends :D

Guest IamPineapple

Eat sleep dive! wish life can be that simple though haha :lol:

That's LOB trip...

I still remember most people on the boat got sea-sick... haha...

LOB everyday =

Wake-up -> Dive -> Breakfast -> Dive -> Lunch -> Dive -> Dive -> Dinner -> Dive ( Night ) -> Star-gazing -> Sleep

hahaha

Guest IamPineapple

Well on land is the same what :P OK, add in DRINK!!! :lol:

nooo... on land different...

LOB is you eat, sleep dive AT the boat the whole journey !

I think you forgotten we cannot drink before we dive ! ( but we still did... hahahaha )

Edited by IamPineapple

nooo... on land different...

LOB is you eat, sleep dive AT the boat the whole journey !

I think you forgotten we cannot drink before we dive ! ( but we still did... hahahaha )

Yah I know... but still the activities are about the same... eat drink sleep dive hehe~

Oh well, I don't think I follow the no drinking rule from the very start :P

• 7 months later...
Guest IamPineapple

Calling all divers ! Migrated my old thread to here !

I had found a deal for Maldives for $845 per person for 7 night Accommodation with 12 boat dive :

Min. Requirement : -

Next Sail : -

Estimated Cost with equipment rental : -
Meeting Place : -

Current members/people on this upcoming trip
~
~
~

- Drop a post here if your interested !

- We can arrange date if needed

- poster/picture will be attached here -

abcml.jpg

**updated 10/04/2013**

Edited by IamPineapple

The ADEX is on next month 12 to 15 in MBS convention center I think... Go and check it out and see if there's any good dive trip deal :) The entrance fee is typically $10 though... or alternatively go and buy a copy of AsianDiver magazine which will give you one complimentary ticket~

Guest IamPineapple
The ADEX is on next month 12 to 15 in MBS convention center I think... Go and check it out and see if there's any good dive trip deal :) The entrance fee is typically $10 though... or alternatively go and buy a copy of AsianDiver magazine which will give you one complimentary ticket~

I know about the ADEX... and yeah got some invitation to go also...

Sipadan! I always wish I have the money to go... Alternatively you should try Lembeh-Manado... Cheaper (getting more commercialized nowadays) and raving reviews from my friends...

Also depend on what kind of dive you like... Lembeh is macro paradise it seems :)

Anyone dives in Singapore? :P

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest IamPineapple

Not following the no-alcohol rule, then still diving ok??? OMG, my instructor warned us against it.

It's advisable not to drink before dive... even smoking also... as the water pressure + the nitro. on the oxygen tank will make you even more high on the water... lol...

Guest IamPineapple

I miss diving. Sigh. Must go again. Last trip a few years back was at Sipadan. Cannot miss it

Haha... you wanna join me with my friends go phi phi island for dive ? anyway what dive cert do you have as we might go night diving too

Guest IamPineapple

Scuba sounds fun~ :D

Yup it is... imgine, on the boat, lay on the top deck of it and gaze up the stars at night.... and in the day time, see swordfish/marlin close to 2m big jumping at the sea surface ! !!

Interested ? :D

Edited by IamPineapple

Guest IamPineapple

It's just like driving license, got cert le you can dive almost anywhere with safety officers that is... I, myself might go for Rescue Diver soon, Got myself Advance diver cert le... you want, can pm me ba, i will tell you more abt it :)

PS: i got my Basic and Advance cert when i was in Army =x haha :lol:

Edited by IamPineapple

Haha... you wanna join me with my friends go phi phi island for dive ? anyway what dive cert do you have as we might go night diving too

I've my Rescue Diver cert. Was halfway through Dive Master training when I stopped due to work commitments. Not been to Phi Phi yet. When are you guys going?