Male HQ

Scuba Diving (Compiled)

Guest ah fat

Just attended my confined open water exercise.. Oh man it sucked.. I didn't quite like the experience as I had previously expected.. So difficult to master the equalization and buoyancy techniques. But could do some simple ones like clearing masks, regulators and reg. recovery. Oh well, let's see how it goes for me when I'll be departing for my real open water dives.

안녕하세요.

Guest IamPineapple

Old la. 43.

Wah... that's quite old erh, my group all 23 - 26 de leah.... btw did you took Nitrox. ? i am thinking of getting Nitrox. certify then Rescue Diver lol...

count me in on your next trip! how much did you pay for your advanced open water cert btw

Erm... i took my Advance Open Water Cert. for close to $1,200, it's that ex is because it's with 5 D 4 N ( National Day Dive ) LOB trip ~ LOB = Live-On-Board trip, meaning you dive and sleep @ the same boat, well the boat is quite big + 4 decks de, diving prep. deck is on e very last level, 2nd lvl = Meal Area, 3rd = Rooms, 4th = very top deck, can star gaze till you sleep XD haha...

** I still remember the last day when we came back just nice see NDP fire-works on the top deck of the boat... !!!

Just attended my confined open water exercise.. Oh man it sucked.. I didn't quite like the experience as I had previously expected.. So difficult to master the equalization and buoyancy techniques. But could do some simple ones like clearing masks, regulators and reg. recovery. Oh well, let's see how it goes for me when I'll be departing for my real open water dives.

Haha... slowly erh... take some time to practice tho, before this Phi Phi island dive, i wanna go for refresher course ( kind of forget le =x ) haha...

Edited : Spelling mistakes

Guest IamPineapple

Why Nitrox before your rescue? See that you've been bitten by the dining bug. Can be additive. Yes your group is pretty young. Probably not for me then. Thanks for the heads up.

er... Dining bug ?? Edited by IamPineapple

Why Nitrox before your rescue? See that you've been bitten by the dining bug. Can be additive. Yes your group is pretty young. Probably not for me then. Thanks for the heads up.

Hey you, don't be sad. Scuba diving is meant for everyone else as long as they are in the pink of health. But I think for me, it may be not for me.. Too complicated for me. :(

Edited by samsara

안녕하세요.

Hey you, don't be sad. Scuba diving is meant for everyone else as long as they are in the pink of health. But I think for me, it may be not for me.. Too complicated for me. :(

Not sad at all. The diving fraternity is quite a nice bunch actually. Why don't you try it? It's quite an experience. And really not too hard. You just need to find the right school and instructors. And thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated :-)

My apologies. I assumed u hadn't gone on your open water course. Didn't read the earlier posts.

Guest IamPineapple

i got my open water level 1 cert 3 yrs ago..thats d last time i scuba..was great

it sure is great... my last dive was almost 2 years back =x

this uncle no money to go diving :(

Haha yeah I'm still halfway through it. Pray hard my 5 dives won't be too taxing for me.. To be frank, I am very scared of equalization and buoyancy techniques.

It gets better with each dive you do. Basically you are building up a routine for you to function underwater. I remember I started with five weights. Now I just need one. Hope you enjoy the experience.

Guest IamPineapple

Haha yeah I'm still halfway through it. Pray hard my 5 dives won't be too taxing for me.. To be frank, I am very scared of equalization and buoyancy techniques.

Haha.... ok la, try get use to it during your first 2 dive, get the hang of it.... then you will naturally know how le... for buoyancy thing...

for equalization i thought is to squiz your nose and blow your nose ? o.O ( sorry i'm very bad at describing =x ) haha...

if you had trouble with buoyancy, then you cannot go see sharks le... =x Imagine you trample on a sleeping shark coz you lose your buoyancy :wacko:

Edited by IamPineapple

It will be fine. Don't worry. It's a wee bit overwhelming n scary at sea but remember not to hyperventilate and use up your air fast. It's all about self control underwater. Remember the routine you've been taught.

Haha.... ok la, try get use to it during your first 2 dive, get the hang of it.... then you will naturally know how le... for buoyancy thing...

for equalization i thought is to squiz your nose and blow your nose ? o.O ( sorry i'm very bad at describing =x ) haha...

if you had trouble with buoyancy, then you cannot go see sharks le... =x Imagine you trample on a sleeping shark coz you lose your buoyancy :wacko:

Yeah you are right about pinching your nose to direct the inside air into the air spaces of sinus and ears during equalization. I really cannot equalize my body even though I made repeated attempts (because I could still feel pressure in my ears). If I cannot control my buoyancy, then never mind lor, I can just go up and rest on the boat.. Safety comes first for me.

It will be fine. Don't worry. It's a wee bit overwhelming n scary at sea but remember not to hyperventilate and use up your air fast. It's all about self control underwater. Remember the routine you've been taught.

Yeah! You know so well about it.. Most of us actually "hyperventilated" in our confined water session, resulting in our SPGs being near the caution (red) zone. Air pressure started off with abt 180 plus and ended at 50 for me during our 5-hour underwater training. But I guess it's pretty normal considering each dive shouldn't take more than 1 hour. And also I'm aware that the deeper you go under, the faster you will breathe to compensate for the ongoing reduction in our lung capacity.

Anyway, I have a question that I didn't ask the instructor personally. But I asked a friend who is already an Advanced diver. Is it ok to take a leak underwater discreetly during the dive? He said yes it's ok, just do it discreetly.. Is it true? Because I cannot hold it in my bladder very well!!

안녕하세요.

Guest IamPineapple

Haha It's ok to leak underwater discreetly but then you must be careful of this fish called "Candiru" aka toothpick fish if your not diving in e wet-suit.

Edited by IamPineapple

Anyway I just came back from my scuba dive trip. It was quite good so far with some company of some cute guys~~! I was in awe when they stripped themselves down to their swimming trunks/shorts. Nice chests~~! So close yet forbidden! LOL kidding.. Anyway I was still experiencing equalization problems throughout. :( Wanted to write in my logbook's comments box: "Equalization is driving me nuts!" LOL.. After each ascent, I spat out to remove salty water inside my mouth and it was a bit bloody. Sighhhhh.. I asked my instructor about it and he said it was normal.. I could have equalized myself too hard. OMG, I saw another female diver next to me that had a bleeding nose inside her mask!! She's okay la, but it was still scary to me man... Sigh, but I managed to control my buoyancy and hovering. Thank God~!

안녕하세요.

Guest payon

Having a bit of bloody sinus is normal for the first few times.

What problems are you encountering with equalization? Might want to get checked up that your ears are not obstructed when u attempt to equalize. Don't dive if you're generally unwell, having cold etc. You won't be able to equalize your ears because of blocked/inflammed sinuses. :/

Guest IamPineapple

Anyway I just came back from my scuba dive trip. It was quite good so far with some company of some cute guys~~! I was in awe when they stripped themselves down to their swimming trunks/shorts. Nice chests~~! So close yet forbidden! LOL kidding.. Anyway I was still experiencing equalization problems throughout. :( Wanted to write in my logbook's comments box: "Equalization is driving me nuts!" LOL.. After each ascent, I spat out to remove salty water inside my mouth and it was a bit bloody. Sighhhhh.. I asked my instructor about it and he said it was normal.. I could have equalized myself too hard. OMG, I saw another female diver next to me that had a bleeding nose inside her mask!! She's okay la, but it was still scary to me man... Sigh, but I managed to control my buoyancy and hovering. Thank God~!

I think you forget to.... do the mid-level water stop... right ?

Having a bit of bloody sinus is normal. It happened to me before when I tried to forcibly descent w/o clearing my ears.

What exactly are u facing problems with equalization? Do u hear the popping sound in both ears when u execute the valsalva manuveur? You may want to get a doctor check that your ears are not obstructed when u attempt to equalize. Don't dive if you're generally unwell, having cold etc. You won't be able to equalize your ears because of blocked/inflammed sinuses. :/

I dunno, maybe my equalization skill is not very good. Dun feel the popping sound in my ears. I didn't have problems with my sinuses or ears. I could have equalized myself wrongly. I was generally well throughout my trip. I didn't attempt the other equalization technique - swallowing (air?) & wriggling the jaws because I was too focused on executing the valsalva maneuver. *Face palm* Anyway, the air exchange via the mouthpiece was making my throat dry and sore! Sian.

I think you forget to.... do the mid-level water stop... right ?

Oh you mean the 3-min safety stop at 5m below the sea level? I did, I just followed my instructor's signals such as 3-min safety stops.. Wah, so many things to remember when going for a dive.. equalization, equipment check, safety stop, recording stuff on logbook, so on. So ma fan.. I wish that someone can help walkthrough me through these steps when I go for my next dive. Otherwise scuba diving is not really for me. I don't like troublesome activities.

안녕하세요.

Guest IamPineapple

I dunno, maybe my equalization skill is not very good. Dun feel the popping sound in my ears. I didn't have problems with my sinuses or ears. I could have equalized myself wrongly. I was generally well throughout my trip. I didn't attempt the other equalization technique - swallowing (air?) & wriggling the jaws because I was too focused on executing the valsalva maneuver. *Face palm* Anyway, the air exchange via the mouthpiece was making my throat dry and sore! Sian.

Oh you mean the 3-min safety stop at 5m below the sea level? I did, I just followed my instructor's signals such as 3-min safety stops.. Wah, so many things to remember when going for a dive.. equalization, equipment check, safety stop, recording stuff on logbook, so on. So ma fan.. I wish that someone can help walkthrough me through these steps when I go for my next dive. Otherwise scuba diving is not really for me. I don't like troublesome activities.

Lol... i can go with you next dive tho... to clock my dive trips in my logbook hehe... and yeah the 3-min safety stops is v. important... or else you will be vomiting blood out of your mouth... your nose... and your ears :D and practically... you will die when waiting for the chinook to medi-vac you, and on the way towards SG for the treatment which only SG have :)

Next time, if your throat is dry and sore, try drink more water ! haha...

Edited by IamPineapple

Lol... i can go with you next dive tho... to clock my dive trips in my logbook hehe... and yeah the 3-min safety stops is v. important... or else you will be vomiting blood out of your mouth... your nose... and your ears :D and practically... you will die when waiting for the chinook to medi-vac you, and on the way towards SG for the treatment which only SG have :)

Next time, if your throat is dry and sore, try drink more water ! haha...

It's ok, I'm not crazy about scuba diving. I just wanna taste it once.. I know, safety stops are important to prevent DCS decompression sickness... also must ascend slowly (S.A.F.E. Dive) to allow dissolved gases to be eliminated from your body continuously.. My throat was perfectly fine when not diving, but during breathing through the mouthpiece, it just got dry and sore. Siannnn..

안녕하세요.

Guest Diver_Guest

Hi =) I just did open water basic course under PADI recently haha... i love diving and can't wait to go overseas to dive! Haha are there more divers out there? Maybe can organise trips or sth haha

Guest IamPineapple

HI =) New to blowing wind haha.. Anyway just came back from diving in bali =) Would love to know more ppl to dive with cuz i don't really have diver friends haha and also very diff schedules in school so hard to plan trips!

so... ya interested in the upcoming trip ? lol 15 - 17

Guest IamPineapple

haha i didn't know there was such a trip! but will be busy this weekend haha!

Yup there is a trip... haha... maybe around 6 ppl ? idk... the price is below $400 lol... cheap cheap =x

Guest IamPineapple
I probably can't join for the phi phi trip as im in manila.. However so keep me updated. I want to get my advanced open water certification coz im going Hawaii this December.. Would be good to have that!!

not going phi phi trip tho... lol infact not Tioman, it's Dayang, we will be going Dayang this coming weekend :)

wha how come so cheap one haha.. hope u all plan more trips next time too! =)

Let's just say i did a good social networking at that area... :D

woah below $400 for everything excluding airfare?

Sir, you want take plane to KL and... to tioman ? lol sry man no such cheap deal lol... actually the $450+ is with LOB liao... but thanks to one of nic's friend who drag till so late then confirm, then end up full le... lol so below $400 but to tioman Dayang... check out e first post, updated :)

Guest IamPineapple

sounds kewl. I've been trying snorkeling and free diving at many places but not scuba diving yet. Is it worth to get the open water diver course?

erm... free diving ?

yep it is... open water diver course is great if you do love to see e marine life up close and personal... haha

Yup, I also wonder, free-diving? It's pretty quite challenging compared to scuba diving because you have to hold in your breath while diving deep!

I also echo IamPineapple's comment that it's worth to get OWD by PADI. after getting PADI certification, you will be able to dive anywhere within yr training limits with PADI instructors/guides/buddies. you also get to make new friends from other countries. PADI courses train you to perform your scuba diving in a safe, structured and fun way. :)

안녕하세요.

Free diving is quite fun actually... and now they come up with classes and certificates for it too... the good thing is you get to go deep without the fear of decompression sickness (though with the risk of running out of oxygen and go into coma)... and since you're not breathing at all in the water, you don't produce LOUD noise as in SCUBA, so the fishes are more happy to come to you and check you out :P

In general you spend more energy doing free diving than scuba diving, so it's a good workout, a tiring one :P

Guest payon

@IamPineapple

You sure sound like y'all had fun. Planning the next trip yet? :P

@Lovensick

Wow.. You must be able to hold your breath for very long haha.

Guest IamPineapple

@IamPineapple

You sure sound like y'all had fun. Planning the next trip yet? :P

Haha... yep... next trip will be at Sipadan - I over heard from my friend Nic - it's ex tho, but then it's super worth it * i think he can get a bargain price for it too :D *... haha... Yep lots of fun, trolling, tanning, lame jokes... at evening gather @ beach to talk, sing play guitar... after all the tiring dives 1 on e morning and 2 dives on e afternoon... slacking with a cup of ice-cold drink at the beach in the evening is shoik !! everyone's so friendly and jokes around alot haha... even e instructors and my friends - who is rescue diver - also do mix around and joke around with the beginners and others... lol, will get a pic up here if i can haha...

PS: I still have problem with my nose =x keep bleeding after dive haha...

Edited by IamPineapple