Male HQ

Scuba Diving (Compiled)

Guest ah fat

Guest IamPineapple

zzzzzz the philippines trip is kind of ex erh... :| will consider 1st...
was thinking of getting rescue diver + emergency response training thing for $700+ ( from what i heard at Gill Divers there, and yes they are under PADI too )

• 3 weeks later...

Just go to PADI official website and pick one center. I compared and most of them offer more or less the same things for approx the same price.

Up to you then to pick the one most convenient for you (you need to go to the center twice for

Theory classes) as well as open water trip schedules.

I'm with Amazing Dive in Lavender and have classes this week with the trip to Dayang on Vesak weekend. Can't wait! :)

Diving Center Amazing Dive Gill Divers Deep Blue Scuba Dive 360 Details not mentioned much 2 theory lessons  (Tues & Wed: each 3.5 hrs, from 7pm)

Gill Divers Shop, 37b HongKong Street lvl 3 Course material – PADI manual and dive planner

2 Theory classes –  (Tues & Wed: each 3.5 hrs, from 7pm)

(74 South Bridge Road)

A Diver’s logbook

PADI certification similar to Deep Blue Scuba but only 1 theory class start at 6.30pm, Monday     1 practical session (Pool @ Outram Sec, 9am to 4pm) 1 practical session (Pool @ Outram Sec, 9am to 4pm) similar     4-5 Open Water Dives (Tioman or Dayang 2D2N, Fri - Sun) 2D/2N weekend trip to Malaysia transportation, food and accommodation 2D/2N weekend trip to Malaysia transportation, food and accommodation Cost $599 and above 639 SGD (quad-sharing in destinated island) 599 SGD 590SGD others   full rental of scuba units Scuba Unit and Wetsuit rental Scuba Unit and Wetsuit rental

Juz a Simple Guy

You really did your homework. Went for my open water the week before, didn't even do any research. My friend see got deal online then ask me, i didn't even do any research then ok and transfer money le.

成熟不是心變老,是淚在打轉,卻依然還能微笑。

You can also try what they call a Discovery Dive. Most resorts with PADI certified instructors will offer those. You don't need any certifications. It's basically 2 students with one Dive Master, you stick with him, they give you a crash course on the boat and that's it.

2 dives maximum. I did that in Perth and got hooked, which is why I am now taking the Open Water course. :thumb:

Guest IamPineapple

You can also try what they call a Discovery Dive. Most resorts with PADI certified instructors will offer those. You don't need any certifications. It's basically 2 students with one Dive Master, you stick with him, they give you a crash course on the boat and that's it.

2 dives maximum. I did that in Perth and got hooked, which is why I am now taking the Open Water course. :thumb:

IMO Discovery Dive is not worth the deal tho... just go for the Open Water Dive will be much better.

Guest IamPineapple

haha... maybe that means i'm quite interested in gettimg the basic diving skill?

hope it helps u all... just checking the place, cost and time nia...

Haha... i didn't do so much research before getting my Open Water Dive cert lor.... haha...

I got mine a few months after i POP, and Advance Water Dive before ORD :D

IMO Discovery Dive is not worth the deal tho... just go for the Open Water Dive will be much better.

It is an option for people who might just want to take a look and experience it..... they might not be crazy about scuba diving and paying $500--$700 for an open water course might be out of their budget. So a discovery dive might do it, for $150... or when you're on holidays somewhere and only have 2 days to spare, which was my case in Cairns.

But yeah, it's "useless" as it does not give you any certification of any sort.

• 2 weeks later...

Im very interested in scuba diving. Anyone knows which school offers reasonable pre-courses and also packages for diving? Do u need to be very in swimming? As in able to float in water for 10mins? =)

Im very interested in scuba diving. Anyone knows which school offers reasonable pre-courses and also packages for diving? Do u need to be very in swimming? As in able to float in water for 10mins? =)

Most dive operators nowadays don't really care if you can swim well... in fact nowadays people would say something like oh you don't need to know swimming to dive... but I would recommend you to be at least comfortable with water, be able to move around in water without any gear (apart from goggles) and too much effort... doesn't need to be good swimmer (except when you go for Rescue diving or above), but you still need that skill to steer you through strong current and stuff :)

Personally I recommend learning your OW over extended weekend if you're going to outside Singapore like Tioman/Dayang, because:

1. you spend too much time travelling over and too little time chilling out on the island, extra tiring :P

2. you are only going to do 5 dives and probably half of the time is spent on trying to get the drill and setup right, you're gonna spend too little time to see what the water offers. And you probably forget how to dive by the time you reach back in SG :P

That being said... Long weekends are usually more crowded, tradeoff~

Pulau Hantu is not too bad to dive... Water visibility is theoretically worse between May to Aug/Sep... Low vis, big surprise lah :)

Mhhhh they do require you to swim. Their websites often say you don't but when you go to their swimming pool (confined water dives) day, they ask you to swim 200m non stop, which is 8 laps for a 25m pool (Outram secondary school swimming pool).

They then ask you to "float" on water for 10-15min. 

In any case, knowing how to swim a minimum is desired. Once you're out there doing your OW, one of the exercise is to remove your BCD (floatation device) and put it back on, so a minimum of swim knowledge will avoid any panicking.

I just got certified over Vesak weekend and I agree with Lovensick, an extended weekend is much better, we managed to get 3 dives per day, which is awesome. But only 1 leisure dive. The rest were skills dives.

Did my OW in P.Hantu back in 2005. Was made to swim back to the boat against surface current where the instructor had an option to sail to us. :-( 

Got my AOW certified in a better place, got it certified on a LOB trip to Similan. Along the way, done some dives in Manado, lembe, 7 Skies, and of cos in P.Dayang and in P.Tioman.

Now, its all down hill, havent been diving for like 3 years now.... :-( Miss it soooooooooo much.

Did my OW in P.Hantu back in 2005. Was made to swim back to the boat against surface current where the instructor had an option to sail to us. :-( 

Got my AOW certified in a better place, got it certified on a LOB trip to Similan. Along the way, done some dives in Manado, lembe, 7 Skies, and of cos in P.Dayang and in P.Tioman.

Now, its all down hill, havent been diving for like 3 years now.... :-( Miss it soooooooooo much.

i believed that you must used to be dive almost every Sunday morning, true that once you dive you will love it, i enjoy night dive a lot

i believed that you must used to be dive almost every Sunday morning, true that once you dive you will love it, i enjoy night dive a lot

Oh yeah... Taking a boat ride from RSYC or from Kepple. Night dive is ok for me, but have to depends on the location. If i am in Dayang or Tioman, i will avoid it. lol...

I actually enjoy both... this feeling of floating... and discovering all this marine life...

What was annoying me during the PADI OW certif dives, is that 2 couples kept kicking and walking on the corals... they did not care much... just looking at it made me want to scream at them!

Diving is one thing, it's a sport, it's a hobby but we should all be aware of the lives around us, corals are not grass, they can't regrow as fast as grass. And don't touch anything either... first it might be poisonous or can cause itchiness, second.... errrr I don't know, don't touch, just look, don't go disturbing all those little creatures.

Hover above the corals and admire anything it has to offer.

When I did my Discover Scuba Diving dive in Cairns, there were sooo many dead corals... it was saddening... and the snorkeling people kept diving down, touch the corals and all....

sorry, rant of the day haha

Haha, can totally understand. But I've made the mistake of getting into contact with corals as well. Sux at controlling my boyouency... Guess the corals got their revenge, the itch last for weeks...

成熟不是心變老,是淚在打轉,卻依然還能微笑。

Guest Payon

Good buoyancy has a lot to do with breathing techniques underwater. Instead of dumping or inflating your BCD constantly, you can try to utilize your lungs like a secondary BCD. To do that, you need to control your breathing, not skip or hold your breath, but try to take long, slow controlled breaths without any sudden inhalation or exhalation.

New divers tend to breathe rapidly and randomly, and they more than often find themselves bobbing up and down and unable to keep at a constant depth at all, which is a vicious cycle and builds lots of other bad habits such as their finning as they try to compensate for their inability to control their buoyancy. While they are bobbing up and down in the water, the volume of air in their BCD changes accordingly which requires minor adjustments, which complicate things and make controlling their buoyancy even harder.

By relaxing and slowing down your breathing, not only do you gain control of your buoyancy, you'll find the entire dive easier.  Plus point = you'll end up with more air for the dive. :)

Night dive is fun, although the sea urchin from all around the world comes alive and swim towards you :P  Night dive is extra fun when you get yourself a blue light and a yellow filter :)

Well if half of the divers have better buoyancy, Tioman and Dayang's reef would still be as lively as they used to be... I went into AOW buoyancy class witnessing some students, having not dived for years, doing worse than OW leisure divers... As Payon said, breathing is important... I'll just add, understanding and getting familiar with your gears and weight you carry is also very important... some of the common problems include changing from a shorty wetsuit to full suit, or switching from full suit to rashies+boardshorts~

• 2 months later...

1. The dive season to the nearby Malaysian islands (Tioman/Dayang every weekend) usually ends in Oct due to monsoon. End of year you are probably looking at Thailand: Phi Phi, Similans, Phuket or Philippines: Cebu etc. 

Here's a quick reference: http://www.divewithsus.com/tips/seasons.html

2. Generally, if you don't plan to dive often, rental equipments are a viable option. Equipments here are not exactly cheap, you can find better deals from the secondhand classifieds and during ADEX in Singapore around April. If you must buy, I've seen cheaper stuff online and during my vacation to Phuket, but that also differs from shop to shop and depends on your ability to ask for a discount. 

If you do buy eq overseas, check with the vendor first about warranty policies as some do not cover if you buy them overseas.

1. The dive season to the nearby Malaysian islands (Tioman/Dayang every weekend) usually ends in Oct due to monsoon. End of year you are probably looking at Thailand: Phi Phi, Similans, Phuket or Philippines: Cebu etc. 

Here's a quick reference: http://www.divewithsus.com/tips/seasons.html

2. Generally, if you don't plan to dive often, rental equipments are a viable option. Equipments here are not exactly cheap, you can find better deals from the secondhand classifieds and during ADEX in Singapore around April. If you must buy, I've seen cheaper stuff online and during my vacation to Phuket, but that also differs from shop to shop and depends on your ability to ask for a discount. 

If you do buy eq overseas, check with the vendor first about warranty policies as some do not cover if you buy them overseas.

Thanks for all the info :)

Just signed up for my Advanced OW early October in Tioman. After that, I will be actively planning diving trips all around the region. So excited!

:)

Hey All

Recently just obtained the certification for OW diving. I'm planning to do the AOW sometime next year but needs to clock a couple more dives before taking AOW. I was wondering if anyone keen to do some dives nearby? We could plan somethin, maybe?

Congrats on your OW :)

Start having fun planning your dives. Expensive hobby though haha.