Male HQ

About Hdd Capacity And Pc Crashes

oralb

Title : Singapore must remain cosmopolitan to survive: MM Lee

By :

Date : 22 April 2007 1844 hrs (SST)

URL : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../271837/1/.html

"If we are dynamic, we will attract talent, we will grow because we have more talent. When I say talent, it means people who add to the dynamism of that society. Singaporeans, if I can chose an analogy, we are the hard disk of a computer, the foreign talent are the megabytes you add to your storage capacity. So your computer never hangs because you got enormous storage capacity," said Mr Lee.

i have decided to post it here on IT restroom to mention that when a computer hang, it is seldom due to HDD storage, whether the lack or abundant of. So even if you have a 10TB of HDD, your computer MAY still hangs, mostly due to the operating systems.

Please keep all following discussions strictly on IT technical basis :)

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Bigger storage capacity cannot guarantee a lifetime disk stability if you are not going to perform disk check once in a while. Not partitioning and organise your files in proper folders can give you headache too.

Imagine, you download files ("foreign talent" - hence, "adding megabytes to your storage capacity") and not running anti-virus: There are just some "fake" files that can corrupt your OS. Your OS may not get hanged but it can corrupt your registry, IE browser and irritating pop-ups. Your System Restore might not work to roll back. Even if it does, your registry is still 'messy'.

And, like a time-bomb, it's waiting for the blue screen of death. :D

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Wah... Talking politics with IT in mind... :thumb: :clap:

Err .. no ah. Politics are best discussed in kopitiam :rolleyes:

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

yeah loh strictly technical discussion here :P

however i do wonder will the various agencies will start requesting PC with higher HDD storage so that the PC will "never hangs because you got enormous storage capacity"

:)

i am starting to see IT sectors beaming with hope

Imagine, you are capped with a lower cpu speed and memory ram - both intertwined for hard disk to function, and on the other hand, an enormous storage capacity? geez, system sure bottleneck ler. :D

And, an enormous storage capacity but with only 8mb cache?

I thought my vids and my VCD/DVDs run slow because not enough disk space... Now after transferring all the p--n to the portable, some vids and DVDs still run very slowly... :P

LOL - Pardon me, Buaya, just have to laugh :)

Best you clean-up your system lah - run antispyware, registry cleanup, antivirus, defrag.

buaya, what the video card capacity? using shared RAM? maybe need more video RAM if only playback has issues.

if everything is running slow, then you just have a slow system, even if you have "enormous storage capacity" your system will still hang

:)

To Buaya:

Have you ever updated your graphic driver? Perhaps, a new version might help.

Confusing the creature who is living in a muddy pond, ikutube... :P

*Sigh*... Seems like I am doomed to lead a life of an IT-Idiot...

Nevermind lah - as long as can still watch prawns swimming, it's not a big issue :D

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.