Male HQ

Luvin' Paris!

French cuisine as we know it, how it's organized and its fame really began with Escoffier. Anything before that was not very standardized. The "marketing" and image was largely attributed to the nobility, especially the English in the 19th century and in the latter half of the 20th by Americans. Beverages like bordeaux( claret ) and cognac( brandy ), for eg, have the British to thank for their globalisation.

It is precisely the standardization of terms and methodology which gives French cuisine its strength, flexibility and hence, longevity.

Passingthru, you are really an expert, and with culture! You know more about us than I do...

Are you French? I don't think so, your English is too good for a French...

You are perfectly right, we have been occupied by the English in Middle Age, and they setlled mainly in South West (Bordeaux and Cognac regions).

Lots of great Bordeaux wines and cognacs still have English names.

Guest Passingthru

Speaking of rose wines, there's a time and place for it - very cold as an aperitif or simply to go with cuisines which are very mixed like traditional Chinese or Middle Eastern. I personally love Oeil de Perdrix from Switzerland.

White wines used to be more popular in Asia in the past till maybe around the 1980's and rightfully so, especially in hotter climates. I am and will always be a fan of whites. To me whites have, ironically, more shades( as in taste/flavour ) with each very obvious and distinctive as opposed to reds. You have a dry, flinty Chablis( Chateau Tracy, for eg ) juxtaposed with a perfumed Alsace and then a strong white Burgundy with a flirtatious elegant white Bordeaux and all of them give way to a noble Sauterne. One could actually pair food from starter to dessert - all with white! Then, in the new world, they have flavours which France can never quite imitate - the distinct tropical fruit of New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs and the citrussy, stone fruit style of Aussie Chardonnays.

Reds on the other hand, are so sombre and serious not to mention difficult to judge if they're a little off. Sending back a bottle in a restaurant is such a stressful affair because it's so subjective. And the food needs to be equally robust but not overly flavoured or savoury, otherwise, the red will pout and sulk like a spoiled bitch.......which reminds me...do you realize that pairing red wines and cheese is actually fallacious? You see, tannins and salt don't get along because it results in a metallic taste. Yet, most wine and cheese parties/tastings are with reds! Try different styles of whites with a variety of cheeses the next time and FEEL THE DIFFERENCE. :o In misguided parties, the saviour is the bread, crackers and fruit. Otherwise....oh la la....

Yes, the Vietnamese dessert was pleasant. According to my Viernamese friends and to what I see here, they have not many desserts, but this one was very delicate.

Windandseaguy, did you identify what went wrong with Ladurée's recipe?

And I agree, better using high quality ingredients, not only for macarons... ^_^

Yes. I think what went wrong was I undermixed the batter. The recipe has a higher proportion of almond flour to sugar ratio so i should have folded it alot more than usual. Yeah the main problem was the macaronage part of it. I am going to use one of the earlier recipes which worked for me. It uses a much lower sugar ratio. Anyway, it was good to experiment with different recipes and see what works n able to troubleshoot it. I am still enjoying making macarons and next weekend I will be using a pungent local fruit as filling. This would be durians :). So far i am enjoying my green tea macarons alot more than chocolate macarons. Its the combination of bitter and sweet constrast that is lovely. By the way, have you tried macarons from McDonalds in Paris? I did not have the chance to try them when i was there.

Edited by windanseaguy

Guest Passingthru

A warning about durians - they have enzymes which can 'eat' and thin out a filling, especially custards. A safe bet is to cook them to kill the enzymes before adding into other ingredients.

No, I'm not but I'd like to think I understand the French mind. :P ...and the British as well. :D

Good luck for trying to understand the French mind, I'm not sure to understand myself... ;)

But about the British one, I'm afraid it's impssible! :blink:

Yes. I think what went wrong was I undermixed the batter. The recipe has a higher proportion of almond flour to sugar ratio so i should have folded it alot more than usual. Yeah the main problem was the macaronage part of it. I am going to use one of the earlier recipes which worked for me. It uses a much lower sugar ratio. Anyway, it was good to experiment with different recipes and see what works n able to troubleshoot it. I am still enjoying making macarons and next weekend I will be using a pungent local fruit as filling. This would be durians :). So far i am enjoying my green tea macarons alot more than chocolate macarons. Its the combination of bitter and sweet constrast that is lovely. By the way, have you tried macarons from McDonalds in Paris? I did not have the chance to try them when i was there.

Congratulations, your investigation was successful! :clap: I am afraid I can be of no help to you in this field, I'm just a modest consumer.

But we seem to have a high profile professional expert here: Passingthru. I am admirative about his knowledge! What do you think of his suggestion about durians?

And no, I did not try Mc Do's macarons in Paris; they had not that on their menu when I went there with...well, if you want to know all, just PM me ;) .

But they had "chaussons aux pommes" which were delicious, and much appreciated by the kids.

Passingthru, you are not only a talented expert, but also a poet!

Were you somelier in a Paris, London or Tokyo restaurant? ;)

I learned lots of things in your post about wines.

I agree, rosé can be drinkable on your terrace in Provence, by a hot and sunny evening in summer, watching the sunset on the hills..Maybe it's in the head?

You are right, lots of white wines are delicious, but I personnally feel lighter after drinking red Bordeaux. Even Sauternes, not bad with foie gras, leaves a strange taste in your mouth for the rest of the meal...

I already tried white wine with cheese, but I sincerely prefer a strong red. Well, maybe I have an awful taste :unsure: !

I am just a modest consumer, and my preference for red Bordeaux is basically motivated by three things:

1- They are easier to marry with everything;

2- they don't give me headaches: and...

3- they can be kept much, much longer in your cellar than the others (useful, for people , like me, who are messy in the management of the "cave").

This being said, I recognize that I have drunk excellent local wines in Australia, China, Peru, Chile, US...

Congratulations, your investigation was successful! :clap: I am afraid I can be of no help to you in this field, I'm just a modest consumer.

But we seem to have a high profile professional expert here: Passingthru. I am admirative about his knowledge! What do you think of his suggestion about durians?

And no, I did not try Mc Do's macarons in Paris; they had not that on their menu when I went there with...well, if you want to know all, just PM me ;) .

But they had "chaussons aux pommes" which were delicious, and much appreciated by the kids.

Not sure yet but will give it a try. Perhaps the enzymes might be deactivated in the process or when it is placed in the fridge since enzymes usu need optimal temperature to work. I am not too fond of cooking it since it will loose much of the distinctive volatiles especially when consumed. Will let u guys know how it goes.

Not sure yet but will give it a try. Perhaps the enzymes might be deactivated in the process or when it is placed in the fridge since enzymes usu need optimal temperature to work. I am not too fond of cooking it since it will loose much of the distinctive volatiles especially when consumed. Will let u guys know how it goes.

Good luck! And please keep us informed about the result.

Too bad I cannot taste your production!

No, I just stored them in a regular container nothing special. :) The amount used was not alot so the smell is not as overwhelming. I have to say the taste and texture of the almond crust and durian go very well. :) I might try again with mixing durian with either white chocolate or cream cheese. See how that goes.

Hmm...am having too much fun making them macarons now. I need to be more creative in coming up with flavors. I think i have a good basic recipe to start with. I am experimenting using other types of nut-based flour now. I get so happy everytime i see feet forming after the first 5 mins of baking :). Simple joy. So glad i went to Paris to be inspired in making them. Hows Paris in Nov/Dec time?

Guest Passingthru

How about making an egg yolk kaya to use up all those leftover yolks and make a filling out of it. Ditto a concentrated vanilla bean custard with butter whipped into it.

Windandseaguy, why don't you open a restaurant (or a pastry shop) in association with Passingthru? ^_^

Preferably in Paris... ;) You might be a strong competitor for Angelina! :thumb:

In Nov/December, it's generally cold, with rain or snow but not always; you can have some beautiful days. Last year, temperatures were mainly above 0°C.

There are lots of tourists during the second half of december, but it's possible to avoid them. Do you intend to come back?

Hehe..yeah i do have couple of business models on FnB. Its highly competitive here and rentals are ex. We do need more parisien type patisseries in Sg though :). So far the only place i go for my croissant is at maison kayser. Am still experimenting with infusing flavors into macaron shells. Am exploring using tea now. :).

Yeah i really want to visit paris again...but have to see my schedule. Earliest will be in late nov. :)

I can imagine the level of competition in Singapore... :o

About flavors, tea is a good idea. Green tea macarons I tasted in Tokyo (or Beijing?...) were great. But maybe it's better to avoid ginseng tea; it might be strange, at least for a western taste :yuk: !

All seasons are fine for visiting Paris! We are waiting you.

• 8 months later...

i'm going there for my own business trip, i have my own business. 

what i want to know is - how do i visit paris on a budget? 

Paris is an expensive city...

Look for a cheap hotel, but not outside the city; you would spend time and money in transportation.

Some restaurants have inexpensive menus for lunch, mainly Chinese ones, in Chinatown, but not only.

And walk, or use a pass for metro and bus.

All depends on your programme and your budget.

Paris is an expensive city...

Look for a cheap hotel, but not outside the city; you would spend time and money in transportation.

Some restaurants have inexpensive menus for lunch, mainly Chinese ones, in Chinatown, but not only.

And walk, or use a pass for metro and bus.

All depends on your programme and your budget. 

thanks Phil. 

i'm choosing an apartment near my work area, so transport shouldn't be a problem. 

i'm just worried for the dinners and lunches that i'd be having! 

so where are the really good patisseries that i should really check out? 

i'll be at rue quincampox. 

You are welcome, Krude.

Rue Quincampoix is really near the center, and not far from Le Marais. Nice place, maybe a little bit lively at night...

About pâtisseries, the most known are maybe:

Pierre Hermé

185 rue de Vaugirard 75015

Ladurée

at least two shops, rue Bonaparte (75006, left bank) and rue Royale (near place de la Concorde)

Angelina

226 rue de Rivoli (near les Tuileries), but in spite of the long queues of tourists waiting there at tea time, I prefer the cakes of Hermé and Ladurée.

Plus lots of others... Windandseaguy gave some good addresses on this thread.

Would you like me to check for more places?

About your lunches and dinners, what are you worried for?

Do you need some suggestions? What kind?

You are welcome, Krude.

Rue Quincampoix is really near the center, and not far from Le Marais. Nice place, maybe a little bit lively at night...

About pâtisseries, the most known are maybe:

Pierre Hermé

185 rue de Vaugirard 75015

Ladurée

at least two shops, rue Bonaparte (75006, left bank) and rue Royale (near place de la Concorde)

Angelina

226 rue de Rivoli (near les Tuileries), but in spite of the long queues of tourists waiting there at tea time, I prefer the cakes of Hermé and Ladurée.

Plus lots of others... Windandseaguy gave some good addresses on this thread.

Would you like me to check for more places?

About your lunches and dinners, what are you worried for?

Do you need some suggestions? What kind?

just about what to eat, that would be relatively affordable. 

just about what to eat, that would be relatively affordable. 

You can find all kinds of cuisine here, including Uzbek, Tibetan, Tahitian... and even French!^^

Your area (rue Quincampoix) is trendy and touristic, so, do not expect low prices there.

Anyway, I saw recently a Thai buffet "all you can eat" for 14€; at least, you have the quantity. I do not remember where exactly, but it is not far from your place.

For a French restaurant (do you like snails, frogs and pig guts?^^), it will rather be around 20€ and more. But they offer sometimes lower prices for lunch.

If you cross the Seine river and go to the left bank, there are also interesting spots, eg Quartier Latin (not so many tourists as you might fear) or Chinatown (75013).

In Quartier Latin for instance, I like a small Vietnamese restaurant with a menu at 10€, not bad...

In many Vietnamese restaurants in Chinatown (yes, there are not only Chinese ones, but also Laotian, Khmer and Vietnamese ones), you can have a bowl of "pho" for 7 or 9€, and it can be enough!

If you want to try French cuisine, be ready to spend more. A good meal is around 30/50€, even if you can find lunch menus around 15/17€.

And for the top end, be ready to spend 300/500€ (including wine...).

I am not the best expert, but if you need some addresses, feel free to ask. What type of cuisine, and what range of price?

• 1 month later...

Wow!

Was the 30 mn queue worth it?

Sad to say that the laduree macarons in Singapore are not as good as the ones bought in Paris. The framboise and lemon flavored macarons just did not have that wow factor. I remember having those macarons at Paris and they were exquisite. Maybe the ones here are not as fresh since I was told the macarons are delivered few times a week from Paris. Also the high humidity here could be a factor too. Oh well, more reason for me to visit Paris again next year :). This time I want to try macarons by Pierre Hermes! I was told his lemon macaron is even better than laduree. Edited by windanseaguy

Guest Guest

All this talk about french food has given me cravings! Where can I find good french food here in Sg? Any expats or native French who would know somewhere authentic? Not looking for pricey meals though...

All this talk about french food has given me cravings! Where can I find good french food here in Sg? Any expats or native French who would know somewhere authentic? Not looking for pricey meals though...

I recommend the following french restaurants: choupinette, bistro du vin, and saveur. Saveur is good for non pricey french food. U can check this website for other reviews: http://www.ladyironchef.com/2011/07/best-french-restaurants-food-singapore/

Sad to say that the laduree macarons in Singapore are not as good as the ones bought in Paris. The framboise and lemon flavored macarons just did not have that wow factor. I remember having those macarons at Paris and they were exquisite. Maybe the ones here are not as fresh since I was told the macarons are delivered few times a week from Paris. Also the high humidity here could be a factor too. Oh well, more reason for me to visit Paris again next year :). This time I want to try macarons by Pierre Hermes! I was told his lemon macaron is even better than laduree.

Pierre Hermé's macarons are excellent. I am unable to compare with Ladurée, since I never tried the two simultaneously. I like both.

About the difference of taste between Those bought in Singapore and the Paris ones, maybe it's also a matter of "atmosphere"? If you eat them in front of Notre-Dame, or after your jogging near Republique, they have a better taste?

Anyway, just visit us again! ^_^

I recommend the following french restaurants: choupinette, bistro du vin, and saveur. Saveur is good for non pricey french food. U can check this website for other reviews: http://www.ladyironchef.com/2011/07/best-french-restaurants-food-singapore/

Wow! I did not know that you have so many French restaurants!

Have you any recommendation for a Singaporean restaurant in Paris?

Wow! I did not know that you have so many French restaurants!

Have you any recommendation for a Singaporean restaurant in Paris?

Haha I do not know of any Singaporean or Chinese restaurants to recommend in Paris. I have feeling that Vietnamese food might be better compared to Chinese food there. I was surprise that Chinese dishes were sold by weight at Bon Marche and it is expensive.

Pierre Hermé's macarons are excellent. I am unable to compare with Ladurée, since I never tried the two simultaneously. I like both.

About the difference of taste between Those bought in Singapore and the Paris ones, maybe it's also a matter of "atmosphere"? If you eat them in front of Notre-Dame, or after your jogging near Republique, they have a better taste?

Anyway, just visit us again! ^_^

Oh don't remind me....I do miss my daily morning runs starting from Goncourt to Bastille and back. It's so lovely :). Btw I want to stay at a different neighborhood in my next visit to Paris. Any recommendation?

Haha I do not know of any Singaporean or Chinese restaurants to recommend in Paris. I have feeling that Vietnamese food might be better compared to Chinese food there. I was surprise that Chinese dishes were sold by weight at Bon Marche and it is expensive.

I found nothing on google, nor in any guide...

We have excellent Vietnamese, Khmer, Lao, Chinese, Japanese, Tibethan...restaurants. But you have excellent Chinese ones in Singapore, I think!

Oh don't remind me....I do miss my daily morning runs starting from Goncourt to Bastille and back. It's so lovely :). Btw I want to stay at a different neighborhood in my next visit to Paris. Any recommendation?

Well, lots of interesting areas!

Le Marais?

Hôtel de Ville?

Quartier Latin?

Montparnasse?

Chinatown?

Montmartre?

I would not suggest West (residential and dead).

What are your criteria?

Well, lots of interesting areas!

Le Marais?

Hôtel de Ville?

Quartier Latin?

Montparnasse?

Chinatown?

Montmartre?

I would not suggest West (residential and dead).

What are your criteria?

Oh thanks for the list. Hmm I might try Latin quarter next time. As long as I can do my runs in the morning I m fine :). Oh and lots of nice french restaurants to try too.

Oh thanks for the list. Hmm I might try Latin quarter next time. As long as I can do my runs in the morning I m fine :). Oh and lots of nice french restaurants to try too.

Quartier Latin is one of my favourite areas. For your runs, the Luxembourg garden is rather pleasant, and the Seine river is not far. And you are right, some interesting restaurants too...

Yes I've been to Lux garden and its great place to do my runs. I guess the only thing left is a patisserie that sells raspberry brioche! My favorite!

Well, you seem to know Paris perfectly! ^_^

At the other end of Quartier Latin, there is the "Jardin des Plantes" if you prefer...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.