Male HQ

Champagne Brunch!

Just had champagne brunch at Basilico at The Regent! It is an Italian Restaurant. Food was really good. There was cold lobster, Alaska crabs, truffle risotto, lobster bisque, foie gras, black angus beef, pork belly, pizzas and many more!!

Most importantly, free flow of champagne n martinis! Gosh!!! I felt so pampered today...

Anyone tried there?

My group of frens do champagne brunches once a month... We have tried ritz carlton, swissotel, shangri la....

Where else to recommend good ones where the food is nice???

Guest Passingthru

Oft repeated but it remains true - wines are subjective. What's important is personal integrity. Ask yourself if it's really the taste, the price, the awards/points/expert reviews or the marketing hype?

Billecart-Salmon, for eg, used to be so reasonably priced when it was relatively unknown and people were foolishly sceptical about the quality. Unbeknownst to them the pedigree and care in which these champagnes were produced until they started to win awards and recognition. Prices shot up along with the pretense.

Green Point is another example. Being Australian but owned( and presumably managed ) by Domaine Chandon, it couldn't even be called champagne. Yet, not only was it just as good as Moet & Chandon, it was often better due to the less erratic climate, better environment and different terroir of Australia. While it's still relatively cheap, the prices are climbing to mirror its true worth. All it takes is a few great endorsements by the right people and it'll explode.

In an extensive spread with myriand flavours like that of a brunch, it's difficult if not impossible to truly appreciate all the nuances and subtleties of the beverage being served, especially one so delicate as a champagne. To put it simply, I could be dishonest and relabel a cheap/poor champagne as Bollinger, for eg, and I can bet you most if not all the diners wouldn't suspect a thing.

Oft repeated but it remains true - wines are subjective. What's important is personal integrity. Ask yourself if it's really the taste, the price, the awards/points/expert reviews or the marketing hype?

Billecart-Salmon, for eg, used to be so reasonably priced when it was relatively unknown and people were foolishly sceptical about the quality. Unbeknownst to them the pedigree and care in which these champagnes were produced until they started to win awards and recognition. Prices shot up along with the pretense.

Green Point is another example. Being Australian but owned( and presumably managed ) by Domaine Chandon, it couldn't even be called champagne. Yet, not only was it just as good as Moet & Chandon, it was often better due to the less erratic climate, better environment and different terroir of Australia. While it's still relatively cheap, the prices are climbing to mirror its true worth. All it takes is a few great endorsements by the right people and it'll explode.

In an extensive spread with myriand flavours like that of a brunch, it's difficult if not impossible to truly appreciate all the nuances and subtleties of the beverage being served, especially one so delicate as a champagne. To put it simply, I could be dishonest and relabel a cheap/poor champagne as Bollinger, for eg, and I can bet you most if not all the diners wouldn't suspect a thing.

Right, I'm the best example - can't really tell the difference. By the way, you've drank Salon yet ? It's one that I've been wanting to try. Saw one retailing at $400+ in Hong Kong which is about the cheapest you can find if at all, too bad I didn't have the money to buy it then.

120px-Zoso.svg.png

Any place using Krug to serve?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Passingthru
By the way, you've drank Salon yet ?

No, I haven't but at that price, I think I wouldn't want to.

Salon is made entirely of chardonnay. Champagnes made that way need to be consumed quickly/early once bottled because the lack/absence of pinot noir( skins removed :) ) means poorer body and longevity. The main reason Salon is costly is because of the selectivity - using the best grapes and only the best vintages are marketed. Therefore, low volume/production necessitates a higher price for it to be a viable enterprise. It's just business.

Having said all that, if one needs to concentrate so hard to savour the subtle differences and notice je ne sais quoi, then it's honestly over rated to pay such a huge price difference for so fleeting and questionable a pleasure. Such beverages should be kept for occasions like after a detox/fast/lengthy deprivation whereby one's system has been purged and tastebuds presumably at their most receptive.

Who's pretentious? Well, the very same people, for eg, who wax lyrical about this or that sashimi and yet are so frightened to do without chillies in their food and need to slather everything with sambal or chilli sauce in order to get taste/kick/shiokness. Can you honestly believe such people have cultivated tongues and the license to pronounce what is and isn't good be it raw fish, top grade teas, boutique olive oils, aged balsamic, kopi luwak, artisanal butters and such?

No, I haven't but at that price, I think I wouldn't want to.

Salon is made entirely of chardonnay. Champagnes made that way need to be consumed quickly/early once bottled because the lack/absence of pinot noir( skins removed :) ) means poorer body and longevity. The main reason Salon is costly is because of the selectivity - using the best grapes and only the best vintages are marketed. Therefore, low volume/production necessitates a higher price for it to be a viable enterprise. It's just business.

Having said all that, if one needs to concentrate so hard to savour the subtle differences and notice je ne sais quoi, then it's honestly over rated to pay such a huge price difference for so fleeting and questionable a pleasure. Such beverages should be kept for occasions like after a detox/fast/lengthy deprivation whereby one's system has been purged and tastebuds presumably at their most receptive.

Who's pretentious? Well, the very same people, for eg, who wax lyrical about this or that sashimi and yet are so frightened to do without chillies in their food and need to slather everything with sambal or chilli sauce in order to get taste/kick/shiokness. Can you honestly believe such people have cultivated tongues and the license to pronounce what is and isn't good be it raw fish, top grade teas, boutique olive oils, aged balsamic, kopi luwak, artisanal butters and such?

*like* you must be a wine connoisseur :clap:

120px-Zoso.svg.png

Guest Passingthru

Just to clarify about Salon. My opinion on it is of course personal, especially with regards to its keeping qualities. It may be the exception to the rule since it is grown and cultivated so differently. I'm guessing it has a high acidity and is very minerally which will make it keep far longer than others of the same ilk. You can always try to keep it for a decade or 2 but should it go off, then the blame will always fall on your cellaring facility. But hor, who owns a chalk cave so deep underground and secure that the temperature remains the same year round? Also, one never knows what has occurred during the transit from Mesnil to HK or S'pore? How respected was the cold chain?

Guest just an ordinary man

Maybe Mumm is not the best, but it is quite good!

You cannot drink Dom Perignon every day... ;)

have u tried perrier jouet? Is it gd?

have u tried perrier jouet? Is it gd?

Yes, Perrier-Jouët is good also.

But, in spite of my origin (and I'm shameful!), I do not like Champagne that much. It's not bad with a lunch or a dinner, but certainly not as an aperitive, dropping directly in an empty stomach. Too many people here propose you that before dinner, and only that. I hate it!

A good old bordeaux is much better...And an old Japanese whisky even more!

Well, just my opinion...

Just to clarify about Salon. My opinion on it is of course personal, especially with regards to its keeping qualities. It may be the exception to the rule since it is grown and cultivated so differently. I'm guessing it has a high acidity and is very minerally which will make it keep far longer than others of the same ilk. You can always try to keep it for a decade or 2 but should it go off, then the blame will always fall on your cellaring facility. But hor, who owns a chalk cave so deep underground and secure that the temperature remains the same year round? Also, one never knows what has occurred during the transit from Mesnil to HK or S'pore? How respected was the cold chain?

You are right, and congrats for your knowledge! One can see that you have been professionnally trained.

In doubt, better not keeping champagne more than five years, maybe ten for millesimed ones. But I'm not an expert...

By the way, even if you have no chalk cave, a concrete one, far from métro, is not bad, and can provide a relatively constant temperature, at least in Paris. Is it so difficult to get that in Singapore? Impossible to dig deep enough?

Guest Passingthru

LOL! For those with landed property, that may be a consideration. But who knows, there might be subterranean water. Also, the cost. Better to simply buy a good wine fridge or temperature control a dedicated room. Have a generator ready just in case the electricity goes off. But for all that expense and trouble, better to simply schedule personal time and enjoy the wines at source. Cellar door tastings at the estates are simply the best.

Speaking of cellars, the limestone caves at the Banjaran Hotsprings Retreat( http://www.thebanjaran.com/splash/ ) serve very well as a cellar for the proprietor's personal wine collection. Can't beat nature!

I don't see exactly where is Banjaran retreat, but from their website, it seems quite comfortable, and if they have natural cellars, it's the top!

However, a little bit too far for my wine...

I agree, tasting wine at the producer's château is pleasant, but when you need a good bottle for a nice meal, better have some in your home!

More and more people here buy wine fridges when they have no cellar.

And I suppose it's the best solution for Singapore.

Passingthru, were you a professional chef or was it only your hobby? Well, I don't want to be undiscreet...

Guest Passingthru

Banjaran is in Perak, Malaysia. While it is a very costy place, I've noticed that "last minute" bookings bring down the price significantly and when converted into Euros, makes a good deal.

Guest Passingthru

It's not a busy place, if that's what you mean. Obviously, the cost has a lot to do with the exclusivity. :-)) I've never stayed there, so I wouldn't know the details.

It's a pity Air Asia no longer flies to Paris fr KL. Otherwise, travel would be much cheaper.

To prevent your money from shrinking, do consider converting as much of it as possible into precious metals so that it holds its value. There'll be frightening moments when the prices drop but so what, PHYSICAL gold & silver remains as they are. Price is just an illusion. Then sit back and lay low for awhile. You'll be thankful in the near future. You must be proactive because the Euro is collapsing for certain.

Some frirends came here with Malaysian Airlines, and found interesting fares.

Thanks for your advice. I'll rather buy diamonds, easier to store...

But I do not think Euro will collapse; we'll probably just have to let some countries out, back to their own currency, and so, able to devaluate.

And on the long term, the safest and most productive investment remains real estate (with cellars, of course, just to stay linked with the thread.. ;) ).

There's a dimsum brunch with champagne (optional) at Yan Ting. 148++ (98++ sans the bubbly). Think they serve Perrier-Jouët. Brasserie Les Saveurs has one on Sundays, though I do not know their pricing. Both are at St Regis. Yan Ting's got a new dimsum chef this month, so you can expect revamped menu.

Ritz-Carlton's Greenhouse serves M&C I think, and their service is good, definitely better than Les Saveurs.

The Knolls at Capella serves a seafood-themed brunch with rose wine and/or champagne, 168++. A little out of the way unless you drive in.

Instagram @the_meowprince

These brunches sound scrumptious and so delightfully OTT- free flow of champagne etc haha

I dun take alcohol or much seafood nowadays so it'd be such a complete waste for me- and I'm beginning to realise the virtues in having an ala carte dish cooked just for you without having been resident in a dish warmer for several hours haha. During a recent BKK stay, I was toying with the idea of the Sukhothai brunch or the semi buffet at La Scala (the Italian restaurant at the Sukhothai) but opted for a simple pad thai instead at a local food court. ^_^

Having said that, must try the Basilico semi buffet some time though how much antipasti one can consume is questionable ;)

Guest gaysingaporean

Brunch is my favourite meal of the day when I am in a relax mood and with some great company...

Waking up late and skipping breakfast. Then diving straight into brunch.

Champange brunch only when I am in the south of France, at home with some good friends. The meal last through to teatime.

In Singapore, it will be Dim Sum brunch with a good Chinese tea... again with good company.

For me, brunch should start as a sit down dining style and later moving around to mingle with friends.

Champange brunch in a hotel restaurant sounds too restricting and formal.

I suggest doing brunch at home... more intimate and fun!

I think there are some semi-buffets around too, hha3838.

To each their own. Unfortunately for me, Sundays are when I get to go out shooting, that means I'll need a good breakfast. Brunch is only if my friends actually book me for it and I forgo my outings.

For those who can eat and can afford to, the higher-end places like Les Saveurs, Dolca Vita, Knolls, Greenhouse, One-Ninety, etc will be options they can choose from, priced over $120++. For those who want to work with a lesser budget and still wish to pig-out, there are still good options like Cafe Brios (Grand Copthorne) and Cafe2000 (M Hotel) to think about, priced below $100. For those who want to stay at home, I don't think anyone will stop you. Heheheh.

gaysingaporean, I hope you really drink champagne with your lunch in the South of France (nice region, isn't it?), and in no case rosé wine!

Passingthru, I agree upon the virtues of the "whole package", although it's a different atmosphere at home...

MeowPrince, would it be cheaper with Bordeaux instead of Champagne? Anyway, I think it would be better...

Guest gaysingaporean

Phil, I spent nearly 6 years living and working in Paris during the late 70s and early 80s. Left only because I broke up with my then french lover and also because my father had a stroke. Since then I traveled about 6 times a year to Europe for work and for pleasure. Had the chance to buy a small house next to my good friends' house in the Provence.near Avignon in a little village not far from Saint Remy de Provence.

I do not have much knowledge about wine or champagne... only know what I love to drink. Fortunately some of my friends do know quite a fair bit..

I am quite embarassed to say my favourite is actually pink champagne (so camp!), Cristal by Louis Roederer but I also love the one produced by Laurent-Perrier.

I will not say NO to any champagne. Not a fan of white wine but do love some rose. I love red wine very much!

For the past 7 years, I spent most of my time in Singapore because of my parents. Only managed to do a trip or two a year to Europe, reason being my work projects these days are mainly in China and my present boyfriend is in Hong Kong/ShenZhen.

Phil, what about you? Are you based in Paris?

Mmmm... missed having one of my favourite meal in Paris, RIGHT NOW, choucroute at Chez Jenny at Place de Republique. Simple classical fare, inexpensive dining and so good with Champange!

Gaysingaporean, sorry, I was not clear about "rosé": I only meant "rosé wine", not champagne!

Champagne rosé is not bad (although I'm not an expert). And if you drink Louis Roederer or Laurent Perrier, you certainly don't have cheap tastes! ;)

But I definitely dislike rosé wine, nothing great and it gives me headaches. I'm not a fan of white wine either.

I know, in Anglo-Saxon countries and in Asia, white wine is more "posh" than red, which is considered sometimes as "vulgar". I try to make my Asian friends change their mind about that...

You seem to have had an interesting life! Sorry about your French boyfriend (but who broke?) and your parents' health.

Can you enjoy enough your countryhouse near Saint-Rémy de Provence? It's a beautiful place; I was there long ago...

And we have a house in Provence also, South East of yours...

Yes, I'm based in Paris. Do you come here sometimes, before going to Saint-Rémy?

MeowPrince, would it be cheaper with Bordeaux instead of Champagne? Anyway, I think it would be better...

I'd like that too. :P

OT abit. Attended a client's private brunch "function" in a pres suite in May this year, and we were treated to a "Tariquet". Don't know if I got the spelling right, but it was a light and sweet French wine, according to the secretary. And it had a distinct lychee to it. Mmmmm......

I'd like that too. :P

OT abit. Attended a client's private brunch "function" in a pres suite in May this year, and we were treated to a "Tariquet". Don't know if I got the spelling right, but it was a light and sweet French wine, according to the secretary. And it had a distinct lychee to it. Mmmmm......

Perfect spelling, MeowPrince. Wasn't it too sweet? What did you eat with it?No headache after? :whistle: You seem to have interesting clients... ;)

Passingthru is right (a real wine guru!); Tariquet is a small family business in South West France, between Toulouse and Bordeaux.

Oh okay. There was also a malbec present, but since I was technically still on assignment time, I refrained from drinking. Only took a tasting sample of the Tariquet at client's insistence. 2-3 sips' worth didn't hurt I guess, and I did snack on a couple of finger sandwiches, so Phil, no headache.

:D

My line requires steady head and steady hands, so I steer clear of alcohol and heavy foods most of the time. ;)

Malbec comes from the same region (Cahors, Lot). It's rather strong...

2 or 3 sips only is a healthy decision. :clap:

Sometimes, during formal lunches/dinners, it's difficult not to have toasts with your hosts, and after a certain number of "kampei's" or "sham yengs" (please check the orthograph ;) ), you can feel "besides your shoes" :blink: .

I can imagine the quality of your photos/visual design with troubled eyes and shaking hands... :wacko:

Is it your main line?

Can confirm that Yan Ting at St Regis has a weekend champagne (optional) dimsum brunch. Comes with a superior soup and a special lobster (single serving of each) and the rest is ala carte from the brunch menu.

(yes, I got to sample a couple of bites..... drools)

Yeah, those are the pork cubes. The char siew smelt yummy too. The third pic should be wasabi prawns, followed by cheong fun in xo sauce with stuffing (heard something like conpoy) and ending with fried cod ball. Only got to sample the cod ball which was delicious. Didn't get to taste the rest though. :(

Guest Passingthru
.....cheong fun in xo sauce with stuffing (heard something like conpoy)....

Highly likely cos' XO sauce is made with conpoy( dried scallops ) and to stuff the cheong fun with conpoy would definitely go nicely.

Guest gaysingaporean

Gaysingaporean, sorry, I was not clear about "rosé": I only meant "rosé wine", not champagne!

Champagne rosé is not bad (although I'm not an expert). And if you drink Louis Roederer or Laurent Perrier, you certainly don't have cheap tastes! ;)

But I definitely dislike rosé wine, nothing great and it gives me headaches. I'm not a fan of white wine either.

I know, in Anglo-Saxon countries and in Asia, white wine is more "posh" than red, which is considered sometimes as "vulgar". I try to make my Asian friends change their mind about that...

You seem to have had an interesting life! Sorry about your French boyfriend (but who broke?) and your parents' health.

Can you enjoy enough your countryhouse near Saint-Rémy de Provence? It's a beautiful place; I was there long ago...

And we have a house in Provence also, South East of yours...

Yes, I'm based in Paris. Do you come here sometimes, before going to Saint-Rémy?

Thank you for the kind comments!

And yes! If I have a choice to relive my life, I will surely do it all over again... exactly the same way.

Nothing last forever and nothing stay the same. So when I walked out of my then French boyfriend's life after 7 years... it's without any regards. Maybe we were too young,(I was 24, he was 27) and he had a 5 years old son then.

If I had not done so, I will not have had the chance of so many wonderful life experiences...a torrid and passionate relationship with a handsome Greek in Athens. discovering many places and meeting new people and making new friends.

I used to do about 4-5 trips a years to the Provence, taking the Eurostar (direct to Avignon in the Summer months from London) or flying to Marseilles. These days I am lucky if I managed to do 1-2 trips a year. I do not usually plan my sejours in Paris the same time as my stays dans la Midi. I usually do a day trip to Paris from London or a short 1-2 day trips. Oh mmmm... missed my Mont Blanc at Chez Angelina now!

Have I enjoyed enough of the country house? Put it this way, The first couple of years was fun, even spent a few Christmas and New Year's there. Those times spent was worth what I spent on the place. Now I am just happy it's there when I want a change of scene or to catch up with my good friends there. And of course sipping champagne and wine!!!

I planned to be there a la rentree, but may have to change my plan as I may want to be in China for my boyfriend's birthday.

Guest Passingthru
...a torrid and passionate relationship with a handsome Greek in Athens..

I'm going to be politically incorrect and ask if you've noticed that with Greeks, as a general rule, they are either runway-model-takes-your-breath-away-drop-dead-gorgeous or "kena langgar by lorry"( cousins of Shrek or Gollum ). There's no in between. My experience is from the 1980's, so perhaps by now they may have evolved. :oops: :ph34r:

Thank you for the kind comments!

And yes! If I have a choice to relive my life, I will surely do it all over again... exactly the same way.

Nothing last forever and nothing stay the same. So when I walked out of my then French boyfriend's life after 7 years... it's without any regards. Maybe we were too young,(I was 24, he was 27) and he had a 5 years old son then.

If I had not done so, I will not have had the chance of so many wonderful life experiences...a torrid and passionate relationship with a handsome Greek in Athens. discovering many places and meeting new people and making new friends.

I used to do about 4-5 trips a years to the Provence, taking the Eurostar (direct to Avignon in the Summer months from London) or flying to Marseilles. These days I am lucky if I managed to do 1-2 trips a year. I do not usually plan my sejours in Paris the same time as my stays dans la Midi. I usually do a day trip to Paris from London or a short 1-2 day trips. Oh mmmm... missed my Mont Blanc at Chez Angelina now!

Have I enjoyed enough of the country house? Put it this way, The first couple of years was fun, even spent a few Christmas and New Year's there. Those times spent was worth what I spent on the place. Now I am just happy it's there when I want a change of scene or to catch up with my good friends there. And of course sipping champagne and wine!!!

I planned to be there a la rentree, but may have to change my plan as I may want to be in China for my boyfriend's birthday.

You are welcome!

You are really a happy man if you have no regret. And I am glad to know that you are the one who broke from your French bf...So, I don't think we have any responsibility! ;)

And you don't seem to dislike married men? :whistle:

Greeks can be nice too...except their global economic and financial behaviour!

Lots of English have houses in Provence and, like you, come for short stays by train or plane; well, better weather there maybe?

I'm going there by car soon.

"Sipping champagne in Provence" reminds me of an awful story (specially for experts like Passingthru): years ago, we had friends for lunch in the Provence house. Just before serving champagne, I saw that I had forgotten to refresh it.

I put it in the freezer compartment of the fridge (!), but 15 minutes later, it was completely frozen! I then discreetly put the bottle in the sun on the terrace (something like 35°C in august) and 10 minutes later, I served it. Everybody found it good...I think they were quite polite.

I never tried the reknown "Mont Blanc" at Angelina's. There is always a huge queue in front (at least each time I passed in front) and I don't like to wait half an hour to get seated :angry: .

If you go to your countryhouse, will you pass through Paris?

I'm going to be politically incorrect and ask if you've noticed that with Greeks, as a general rule, they are either runway-model-takes-your-breath-away-drop-dead-gorgeous or "kena langgar by lorry"( cousins of Shrek or Gollum ). There's no in between. My experience is from the 1980's, so perhaps by now they may have evolved. :oops: :ph34r:

I would not be so hard as you...I think they have all the range , from Greek gods to Shrek. Maybe we all have some tendancy to notice only the extremes? ;)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.