Male HQ

Instrumental Music

Guest sg.dude87

Heres a question. Did this Duet become a Trio? Clue - three people take a bow at the end.

Christian Tetzlaff n Lars Vogt were playing an encore in Germany when not one but two things happened. Watch the drama - it starts around 4'20". Well its not really drama coz it all happens very calmly as though it happens every day in recitals.

That was cute!  And well deserved.

If this violinist would study under my guidance, I would have a steel corset made for him so that he plays straight up without bending and dancing like a jack-in-the-box.. 

Re Rachmaninoff or Rachmaninov, the great American virtuoso Earl Wild who met him several times writes it in his autobiography as -off. When he lived in America, the composer himself spelled it as -off. Yet in Russian script it comes out as Рахма́нинов and the final B is usually pronounced V. On amazon.com there r dozens of recordings, some with V n others with FF. So take your pick!!

Incidentally, the same last letter is in Prokofiev's Russian spelling, yet it is hardly ever spelled Prokofieff in English! One of the few sites that does is the Music Publisher Boosey & Hawkes.

Saw this youtube clip the other day. Its a spoof on Carmen featuring Dawn French (of Absolutely Fabulous fame).

Edited by wozzit

• 2 weeks later...

Can I suggest a new twist to the thread? We know that some pop music is not only based on classical music, it is more or less copied note for note. In the late 1960s the UK rock band Procul Harem used Bach's Air on a G String for its mega hit Whiter Shade of Pale - 

Another is an example of pure plagiarism - and so admitted by Andrew Lloyd Webber in a TV interview with David Frost (although he adds it was not conscious plagiarism!!). The basis of the first theme of the song "I dont know how to love him" from Jesus Christ Superstar is lifted right out of the slow movement of the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto -

Any others?

Edited by wozzit

I remembered this rather fondly because it was uncanny that I was practicing Czardas for my school's symphonic band... And then Lady Gaga appeared with Alejandro during that same period (I think it was in 2009):

(skip to 1:03 to listen to Czardas)

Czardas has always been one of my favorite pieces violin pieces to listen to: playful, light (airy?) and exhilarating.  Something I would use as background music if I'm late for school- in my "life documentary" that is. 

I wonder if Vittorio Monti was a fiddler... 

(According my lady friends, Man Buns are the new IN thing.) 

I think this "incorporation" (or down right plagiarism) of classical music into pop music is interesting. It's reflective of how music isn't divided into distinct boxes of categories but rather constantly interacting with each other. Though their degree of influence on each other, still unknown to me.

Thanks @wozzit !   

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

while may not be symphonic or concerto

I play these once a while or when there r kids bunking in my room

or just some spa music

Symphonic music has to be Chopin and the ..........

my top 2 though intensively emotional:

Beethoven - Moonlight

n

Chopin -Nocturne No2 in E flat

19 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

while may not be symphonic or concerto

I play these once a while or when there r kids bunking in my room

or just some spa music

Symphonic music has to be Chopin and the ..........

my top 2 though intensively emotional:

Beethoven - Moonlight

n

Chopin -Nocturne No2 in E flat

Yes, the sound of rain is very soothing.  But I doubt I could sleep to it, because I would start worrying that the tent may leak, and some drops start falling on my face.  Also after a while one gets worried about the possibility of flooding, especially since we had so much flooding in the US from hurricane Harvey last year.

The Moonlight sonata from Beethoven is a little more reassuring.  Especially tonight in preparation for the Super Blue Blood Moon tomorrow...

5 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Yes, the sound of rain is very soothing.  But I doubt I could sleep to it, because I would start worrying that the tent may leak, and some drops start falling on my face.  Also after a while one gets worried about the possibility of flooding, especially since we had so much flooding in the US from hurricane Harvey last year.

The Moonlight sonata from Beethoven is a little more reassuring.  Especially tonight in preparation for the Super Blue Blood Moon tomorrow...

har? too imaginative le bah

I used a not too bad sound output so it sounded so surreal for me

I don't mind "raindrops falling" ......on my face

oh ya, everyone is talking about the blood moon on the fb, I m like ok, ya ...ok.....

This video is almost 20 years old but I have a soft spot for Vivaldi's Winter in Second Movement. Somehow whenever a major event in my life takes place (when my beloved grandma passed on, when I graduated, when I found my life partner etc.), I pick up my fiddle to play this piece.

The playlist in my car is set to random, and this piece lies in the midst of all the ballads and english rock that I'm fond of. Every time it comes on my heart sometimes quietens down and I get contemplative.

The sound of Yo Yo Ma playing is fantastic, and Bach's suite brings it out perfectly. His playing of Gounod's Ave Maria is one of the best I have heard.  What an inspiration of this composer having found a perfect melody to superpose on Bach's first Prelude of the Well Tempered Clavier!

Here is a performance of the Prelude and Fugue on an instrument of the days of Bach.  Amazing how well it sounds even without dynamics.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:28 AM, Steve5380 said:

The sound of Yo Yo Ma playing is fantastic, and Bach's suite brings it out perfectly. His playing of Gounod's Ave Maria is one of the best I have heard.  What an inspiration of this composer having found a perfect melody to superpose on Bach's first Prelude of the Well Tempered Clavier!

Here is a performance of the Prelude and Fugue on an instrument of the days of Bach.  Amazing how well it sounds even without dynamics.

steve

I didn't read your reply till I closely scrutinised this page again!
Seriously, no 1 should reject Chopin's Nocturne (nt cos of this famous movie) but many more

tons of movies and dramas have used his piece n Moonlight sonata as well

while the recording of this pc sucks

but I felt his emo is overwhelming, aiyo I m sorry I need to exit this page

I was totally sucked into it

this is a better recording but maybe slightly less emotional:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9oQEa-d5rU

Edited by lovehandle

2 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

steve

I didn't read your reply till I closely scrutinised this page again!
Seriously, no 1 should reject Chopin's Nocturne (nt cos of this famous movie) but many more

tons of movies and dramas have used his piece n Moonlight sonata as well

while the recording of this pc sucks

but I felt his emo is overwhelming, aiyo I m sorry I need to exit this page

I was totally sucked into it

this is a better recording but maybe slightly less emotional:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9oQEa-d5rU

The recording in the second video is far superior.   On the first video, someone played a trick with a piece of the movie "The Pianist" by inserting his/her own playing of the Chopin Nocturne. In the movie, the music the Pianist played to the Nazi officer is Chopin's first Ballade, one of the four that can be considered among Chopin's most important compositions. 

• 2 months later...

Is this boy for real?  Daniel Lozakovitj, a prodigy of the violin.   Today I heard of him for the first time, and I already have hopes for another Menuhin, Heifetz ALIVE that I can go and hear in concert.  Perfect pitch, perfect sound, perfect expression.  Hopefully this kid (now 17 y.o.) will continue a steady evolution, and not regress like Menuhin, who some say he played the best when he was 10 years old...

Next is his performance of Beethoven's violin concert at 13 y.o.  Masterful!  Too bad the recording lets the sound of the orchestra cover his sound.   If you have patience to listen through, he performs at the end a solo piece from Bach.  What a happy kid!

And this video?  Amazing!

Edited by Steve5380

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, poet said:

I love Arcadi Volodos' take on Mozart's Ronda alla Turca, there's something playful and whimsical about it.

I also enjoy these funny variations on Mozart's alla Turca.  I can see Mozart rolling on the floor laughing.  

Volodos seems to concentrate on playing pieces that require much energy.  He is a big guy and can surely put a lot of weight in his playing, haha.  It's interesting to see how fast he can move his fat fingers. 

55 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I also enjoy these funny variations on Mozart's alla Turca.  I can see Mozart rolling on the floor laughing.  

Volodos seems to concentrate on playing pieces that require much energy.  He is a big guy and can surely put a lot of weight in his playing, haha.  It's interesting to see how fast he can move his fat fingers. 

Well I was trying to refrain from fat jokes but very interesting to see his fingers move at a blur when he’s scaling the keys. Other pianist who attempts his arrangements somehow comes across quite bland, really love his energy.

... journey through my fractured mind,

a fragment at a time...

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Cube3 said:

His expressions while playing...expressions of ecstacy :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm amazed.  I had never seen Keith Jarrett before.    He also has some towels and bottled water besides him, maybe necessary if his ecstasy gets excessive.

I found another video of him in Tokyo, where he plays a lot standing up, and his facial expression is not that of an ecstasy. 

This brought a sudden inspiration:  what if they make pianos that can be played standing up?  Just some longer legs, and extension to keep the pedals still at foot level.

After all, some people swear for tall desks that let them work standing up, giving a break to their lower back.

He is so expressive playing his amorphous music.  It would be interesting to see how he moves and convulses playing some really emotional music by Chopin and others  :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

> I found another video of him in Tokyo, where he plays a lot standing up, and his facial expression is not that of an ecstasy. 

> This brought a sudden inspiration:  what if they make pianos that can be played standing up?  Just some longer legs, and extension to keep the pedals still at foot level.

After all, some people swear for tall desks that let them work standing up, giving a break to their lower back.

> He is so expressive playing his amorphous music.  It would be interesting to see how he moves and convulses playing some really emotional music by Chopin and >others  :rolleyes:

His facial expression: I can totally see him climaxing with those expressions! :rolleyes: And standing up too. With standup pianos...with enough height for someone to comfortably settle under for kinky piano-man-play...

His amorphous music reminds me a little of Satie...an easy, soothing lull. But a touch more contemporary, and lovely 'cause it's different from the classics.

Keith Jarrett is nothing.  Here is a much better case of what emotion and ecstasy of the pianist can add to the show:

And the music of Chopin he plays can more easily lead to emotions,  even if it is just an Etude.

It seems that this pianist,   after the loss of the white piano, is inclined to perform with a backup piano,  and also give it some use.  After all, he has two hands  

• 4 years later...

4 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

About Mahler, you forgot his orchestral song cycle Das Lied von der Erde  ( the song of the earth ).  This is his most famous vocal composition,  which I can tolerate and appreciate its excellency, but I rather listen to the Classics, the Romantics.  :)   I find too much negativity in Mahler's music.

Negativity?

Music is made on certain moods or to reflect a certain mood.

I don't see negativity.

The music builds up into that glorious slow moving adagietto and ends with that smooth, heavy rondo.

8 hours ago, singalion said:

here is a full Mahler

A Mahler full of what?   His music has some brilliant moments, but in general it is wishy-washy. He would have made a perfect composer for the scenes of some movies. 

But you had mentioned Mahler in the context of German SINGING.    This is his most transcendental lyric work:

Very Mahlerish and somewhat obscure...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found another exquisite version of Chopin's piano concerto No. 1  played by Yundi Li in 2003, when he was 21 years old.

I find it amazing how perfect his playing is,  full of energy at his young age.   I have been a fan of him since he became famous.

• 5 weeks later...