Male HQ

Inconsiderate Neighbours

oreo

I just moved to a new area for 1 month plus. And recently i realised that the malay neighbour living upstairs will start pounding stuff, dropping heavy items onto the ground or whatsoever. It doesn't just happen in the day but also late in the night. Even after 1am, i can still hear the thumping sound. It is really really annoying. After a long day at work, i just want to have a good rest & i face this kinda issue. My mum & i decided to go up to tell the neighbour & we met their daughters (seems to be in secondary school) who seemed to be leaving the house. We just told them that we're living right beneath them & before we could finish our sentences, they immediately apologised. (Probably they know what they have been doing which caused us to come up?).

We thought the thumping sound is gonna stop but apparently not. It continued all the way till now which is 1 plus. It's like all over our house. The living room & the bedrooms. They're like deliberately moving stuff, slamming their cupobards, dropping heavy stuff on their floor.

My mum couldn't take it & decided to go up again. This time, we met their mother. After explaining the situation, she denied everything. Claiming that she did not hear a single sound? And with that haughty look, she said you know noise travels & it could be from other units. But the thing is we're right beneath you. The sound can't be caused by the neighbour opposite you. When i asked her if she heard anything, she say no. Since you say noise travels, shouldn't you have heard something too? Furthermore we're below you. And sound that travels to us will definitely travel to your unit. Does that make sense?

I believe that every resident would like to live in a pleasant environment. And it is good to be considerate at all times. Since we've already complained & if you're embarrassed & choose to deny it, at least make the effort to reduce the sound. But of cos, they're not that considerate & doing it on purpose..

Does it help if i call the police or report this case to the Town Council? Or would it be better to complain to HDB? :(

it is not hdb business leh! Unless the building got problem or the pipes exploded, tiles cracked, ceiling dropped. Also it is no crime leh! Call police for what??? Police at most take a report and then ask u guys to settle down peacefully.

I suggest go to town council. This are the neighbourhood issues.

it is not hdb business leh! Unless the building got problem or the pipes exploded, tiles cracked, ceiling dropped. Also it is no crime leh! Call police for what??? Police at most take a report and then ask u guys to settle down peacefully.

I suggest go to town council. This are the neighbourhood issues.

No crime? No crime to create noise at this hour & causing disturbance to your fellow neighbours?

ya....i have the same kind of neighbors...i felt like using something to hit the ceiling and resonate back to them....grrrrr

I did the same! But the sound just keep coming back. Like someone drop a dumbbell on the ground... I'm really wondering what they're doing what there. Is it necessary for you to walk so loudly? Like some kinda bigfoot..

No crime? No crime to create noise at this hour & causing disturbance to your fellow neighbours?

u go call the police and see what the police will do and then u come update here for us to know, if it really works i will call them when my neighbours strikes.

u go call the police and see what the police will do and then u come update here for us to know, if it really works i will call them when my neighbours strikes.

Yup. Will do that. When teenagers were talking really loudly at the viod deck in the middle of the night, the police came over. I suppose that wasn't a crime but the police still came.

Guest sgjgvan

I did the same! But the sound just keep coming back. Like someone drop a dumbbell on the ground... I'm really wondering what they're doing what there. Is it necessary for you to walk so loudly? Like some kinda bigfoot..

ya...i hate that...i am equally helpless sometimes....i called my condo security to check on them...thats so much i can do....unless u r willing to take the risk of breaking the law...

police is to maintain law and order. Unless it is against law, illegal, then they can do things. Otherwise, call them for what. Just like when people quarrel until very xiong people scare call police, police come interview make report and they will stand there keep consoling both party be peaceful. When they both peace liao. Police gone. Unless during the quarrel they fight and hantam, then they will hand cuff u. Or when u are so agitate during thequarrel that ur actions too big hit policemen.

Yup. Will do that. When teenagers were talking really loudly at the viod deck in the middle of the night, the police came over. I suppose that wasn't a crime but the police still came.

yes. This is because a case was reported be it criminal or civic or neutral. They need to investigate. Just like customer come into shop they buy things or not u still need to serve. Unless they did things illegal they just come and check only.and write some reports on this case reported.

i suggest go town council. Coz this is the mp u voted to serve the neighbourhood. They will and need to solve. Police at most knock knock say hello, and say we received complain and come and check around nothing illegal, they just say neighbours must be considerate, must live in peace. Thatls all.

HDB wun care, coz they build flats, and they sell flats. Flats got problem feel free to call them. But if u corridors lamps spoilt, or corridors dirty need clean up, call the town councils, that where ur monthly town councils fee goes to.

Unfortunately, there is nothing the authorities can do about this... the unit below always get the shorter end of the straw. Seems like the only way is to talk to them nicely yet firmly, or shift out.

high frequency | biologically hazardous | penetrating

Unfortunately, there is nothing the authorities can do about this... the unit below always get the shorter end of the straw. Seems like the only way is to talk to them nicely yet firmly, or shift out.

yeah. Agree. It is in their hse and nothing illegal they cant do anything.

If say the flower pots obstruct or extends to neighboyrs doorsteps the town council might give warning letters and deadline, once after they might confiscate ur flowers.

Police, unless anything illegal, like gambling den, toturing kids, put fire, fights. Otherwise, they only advise and console nia.

HDB they dun even care. Just like company, not my products dun come to my service centre to repair.

Go mediation la

ya lor! Like the joo chiat bungalow, and recently the hdn tang kee and neighbours. Just like them go mediation, and if mediation failes go another lvl up, courts. I forget what the court name liao, like miscellaneous or something one.

Does it help if i call the police or report this case to the Town Council? Or would it be better to complain to HDB? :(

Call the HDB hotline. They will then connect you to the HDB Area Office. When calling them, state the time of the noise pollution. They will arrange for their officer to observe and advise the neighbour. My previous neighbour's laundry always wet my almost dry laundry.

Inconsiderate neighbours are pain in the ass. Confronting them if they are not apologetic or even feeling guilty will just make your stay there miserable. In the middle of the night if the noise is unbearable. the NPP can drop by to advise the neighbour. They will tai-chi by telling u to call your Town Council. U can request them to advise the neighbour while u work on that as u need to sleep. That will scare the neighbour a bit hopefully.

Gd luck.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

Guest BabaOoompaYagaLoompa

yeah, my neighbour directly upstairs likes to bounce the soccer ball, talk over the phone and laugh loudly frequently at 1 - 2 am.

Guest Sport-coholic

I just moved to a new area for 1 month plus. And recently i realised that the malay neighbour living upstairs will start pounding stuff, dropping heavy items onto the ground or whatsoever. It doesn't just happen in the day but also late in the night. Even after 1am, i can still hear the thumping sound. It is really really annoying. After a long day at work, i just want to have a good rest & i face this kinda issue. My mum & i decided to go up to tell the neighbour & we met their daughters (seems to be in secondary school) who seemed to be leaving the house. We just told them that we're living right beneath them & before we could finish our sentences, they immediately apologised. (Probably they know what they have been doing which caused us to come up?).

We thought the thumping sound is gonna stop but apparently not. It continued all the way till now which is 1 plus. It's like all over our house. The living room & the bedrooms. They're like deliberately moving stuff, slamming their cupobards, dropping heavy stuff on their floor.

My mum couldn't take it & decided to go up again. This time, we met their mother. After explaining the situation, she denied everything. Claiming that she did not hear a single sound? And with that haughty look, she said you know noise travels & it could be from other units. But the thing is we're right beneath you. The sound can't be caused by the neighbour opposite you. When i asked her if she heard anything, she say no. Since you say noise travels, shouldn't you have heard something too? Furthermore we're below you. And sound that travels to us will definitely travel to your unit. Does that make sense?

I believe that every resident would like to live in a pleasant environment. And it is good to be considerate at all times. Since we've already complained & if you're embarrassed & choose to deny it, at least make the effort to reduce the sound. But of cos, they're not that considerate & doing it on purpose..

I'm in the same situation as you. I even went to the mediation center recently with the neighbours upstairs but mediation officer claimed that the sound may not be coming directly from the unit directly above us. The mediation officer cited her own situation when her neighbour staying a floor below her went up to her and complained to her about the noise. The next time, the mediation officer requested the neighbour to stay in her unit for a while if she hear noises coming from her unit again. This time, the neighbour also hear the noises at the mediation officer's home. Don't know how true it is that sounds can travel many floors above us in today's building structures.

Go mediation la

Does it help?

I have this idiotic foreign talents family upstair who rent 3 bedrooms out while the owner couple and the daughter sleep in the living room and the utility room.

I have spoken to them for 3 times and even inform HDB twice with once via my MP.

The last was the HDB officer tellling me that If i m still unhappy i can ask for mediation.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Kapo dick

Don't delay, call your nearest HDB branch. I did that and it works. HDB will liaise with police and you don't have to call the police. Town Council is only in charge of matters outside your house (public area), their responsibily is not inside your premise. For your case it is within your HDB premises, so HDB is the one doing it. There may be mediation set up with your neighbour if matter escalate. You can buy a cheap record to get evidence of the noise at night.

Guest ghostcatcher

could it be haunted in one of the unit? if u got watch twilight zone, there is a similar story house keep moving furniture in the middle of the nite.

ya...i hate that...i am equally helpless sometimes....i called my condo security to check on them...thats so much i can do....unless u r willing to take the risk of breaking the law...

Condo also kenna?I thot ppl more high class, educated & mm well-behaved?

Yes and no lah, cos the police will end up telling both of you must live in peace etc... But if you think it's troubling u often, then trouble the police until the thing stops. :P

Mine is not too bad. got one weird neighbour will do this kind of knocking in the weekends, thankfully. Other than that everything is fine.

Will you be my valentine's? :D

Guest, u can be surprised. Anywhere u live will get these kind of problem. Unless it's those double storeys "ang moh chu" (terrace houses sorta?)

Then may not. But they will have another kind of problem - quarreling ones to avoid (remember those that came out of the news? LOL)

Will you be my valentine's? :D

My neighbour had cats that peed and <<Don't Feed The Troll>> all over my doorstep for a few months and the owners refused to clean it up so we complained to the Town Council and they took care of the problem by warning the neighbours that if they didn't take care of their shit (pun), they were gonna take the cat away. So a week came and they did a follow up and there was shit at my door and the town council took action without saying a word. But this only works during election my friend. You need to wait another 3 years or so for the next opportunity to get some peace. Or you could sue them in small claims court. Yea I think it works.

Don't delay, call your nearest HDB branch. I did that and it works. HDB will liaise with police and you don't have to call the police. Town Council is only in charge of matters outside your house (public area), their responsibily is not inside your premise. For your case it is within your HDB premises, so HDB is the one doing it. There may be mediation set up with your neighbour if matter escalate. You can buy a cheap record to get evidence of the noise at night.

Hi Kapo,

Really? Calling the HDB works? So many of the replies were saying that calling the HDB doesn't help. :( I could hardly sleep in the night. I deliberately sleep earlier so i will be in deep sleep by the time the noises come. But it didn't help. It still woke me up. And the worse is that everytime i close my eyes, i can't really rest because i'm thinking that the sound is gonna come anytime. And it really did. And the sound comes between 11pm - 4am. Seems like the mum comes back at that timing & start making noises... :'(

The neighbour living upstairs is educated too. However, it seems like she lacks social ethnics. She denied that the sounds were from her & insinuate that the noises are from some other units when we're living directly below her. How every nice & considerate of her to push the blame to her neighbours. Tsk!

Poor oreo... At this rate, you're gonna collapse from exhaustion. I think that's how exhaustion comes by.... I think I think.

Anyways, to make matters easier for you, go to HDB and go to Town Council. Place your bets in both and hope one works. It's better than waiting for more confirmation here. And it's a free bet =) Anyways, they've been known to toss the ball to each other and making you monkey if you get what I mean.

Yes the sound you heard not necessary come directly above yr unit. It could be few floors and units away. Sound do travels uniquely esp in HDB flats.

• 7 months later...
Guest Red Bean

My neihgbour (duno which one) sprinkled red beans along my corridor while they kept their clean and empty.  What does that means?

Someday if I caught them doing again, I will write to Town council. Anyone tried installing spy cam? Which brand and how did you install them?

Neighbour dog bark nonstop when the family is not at hm, consider inconsiderate or not?

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

Lol! Oreo... We are hearing the same noise!

My... Dragging of wooden furniture... Marble dropping sound...

So loud that my fishes got shock and jump!

Like to throw things! Found books, stationery, penknife!

And sometimes the whole saree coming down cover half of ur window... The feel is like someone just drop down!!

the family that lives above my unit always quarrel in late night.....bang items and doors...shouted....

sometimes we're afraid complaining will antagonise them....

How wld they know who complaint them?

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Guest Guest

Report mata.  Next day, go to mata chu and file an official report. Use the report to lodge a complain to hdb. If still persist, ask hdb to arrange for mediation. If still persist, that means they are recalcitrant, Complain MP.

I reported just a few weeks ago at midnight. After mediation, the noise very significantly reduced. I need not have to see MP (at least for the moment). It was a tenanted unit. I complained to the owner & its agent during the mediation & they subsequently warned the bloody pinoy tenants.

I live in a quiet estate. My opposite Neighbour is a middle age couple with three grown up kids. They are polite and considerate. Great :)

Now, here come that family live above me. I will hear the pounding sound in my living room and bedroom every nite from 6 pm till about 11 pm on weekdays. On sat, the noise will start around 1 pm. At one point of time, I got so annoyed and went straight up to confront that family. The person who came to her gate was a over sized woman and then came her three cubby children. Gosh! Oversized family huh? I doubt the noise was solely created by the kids, I suspect that fat woman was performing some forms of exercise or kick boxing regime. I told them about the noise and they stared at me blankly. The hall was in a mess with cartoons and woody stuffs. Hmm ok I shouldn't judge but I think her kids should be revising their school work and readings during that noisy periods mentioned. As for that fat woman, she should realised the noise she has created every time she jump and hop around.

For noise created by neighbor, many times there is no solution to it no matter u complaint to hdb, police, or even went to confront them. Some pple just simply selfish and only care for themselves.

Edited by alien

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Guest Paralysed

For noise created by neighbor, many times there is no solution to it no matter u complaint to hdb, police, or even went to confront them. Some pple just simply selfish and only care for themselves.

Such selfishness eventually spread like virus, became contagious and led to a society void of kindness and graciousness.  If HDB, Police and other intermediary do not want to exercise their power to act for the goodness of this society, there is nothing we can change the culture of Singapore.  Blame who? the govt for sleeping on the job from start.

Guest j.pokkemon

my neighbour above too... peace and quiet from sunday evenings till friday evenings, followed by thumping, dumbbell dropping on floor, dragging of heavy furnitures, throwing of marble-like objects and let them bounce off the floor, running across the floor at high speed as if they have elephant feet... sigh

been at least 2 years already...

i swear i will move out one day... lol (and move to a unit at the top-most floor for a change).

• G_M locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic