Male HQ

A & W All-American Food

Who still remember the A & W All-American Food

A&W (Alan and Wright) was the first ever American fast food chain to operate business in Singapore. It was 1966, a year after the independence of our nation, when A&W launched their business at Dunearn Road.

The chain expanded fast, and arguably hit its peak in the early nineties, before declining due to fierce competitions from rival fast food chains which arrived at Singapore at a later time. Its branch at Singapore Zoo was closed in 1999; by 2002, A&W had only 7 outlets here. A year later, its Singapore operation finally ended after it shut down its last outlet at Hougang Heartland Mall.

Curly fries and root beer float in frosted mugs are distant memories now, and so were the once-popular A&W restaurants at Ang Mo Kio and Bukit Merah centrals.

Edited by tnt_luv

Guest Raiden Alpha

The best I can do to relieve my cravings for A & W is to buy a bottle of their rootbeer drink available in supermarkets. Thank god for small acts of mercy.:)

they sort of were a victim of their own success, ever wonder why we always remembered A&W of their rootbeer float and curly fries but never their main dishes?

coz they really sucked at making them, the burger was mediocre, the hot dog was acceptable while the fried chicken really pale comparing to another joint. 

even when I am in KL visiting their branch, I would just order the float and fries

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Who still remember the A & W All-American Food

A&W (Alan and Wright) was the first ever American fast food chain to operate business in Singapore. It was 1966, a year after the independence of our nation, when A&W launched their business at Dunearn Road.

The chain expanded fast, and arguably hit its peak in the early nineties, before declining due to fierce competitions from rival fast food chains which arrived at Singapore at a later time. Its branch at Singapore Zoo was closed in 1999; by 2002, A&W had only 7 outlets here. A year later, its Singapore operation finally ended after it shut down its last outlet at Hougang Heartland Mall.

Curly fries and root beer float in frosted mugs are distant memories now, and so were the once-popular A&W restaurants at Ang Mo Kio and Bukit Merah centrals.

omg. Root Beer Floats and Curly Fries! - to die for!

I remember those days when heartland mall used to be called emporium mall or something,

and I'll always have A&W breakfast with my family every sunday..

how fast time have changed.. now they are only memories..

tumblr_m6i5n25CGw1rotbq4o1_500.gif

Guest Raiden Alpha

How come the 20s here have eaten A&W before? I am 25 but have never tasted A&W before.

some of the last A&W restaurants were still operating all the way back til the lates 90s n early millienium century. It is possible for them to have experienced it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that A & W was all about the rootbeer float in the frosted mugs- YUMM haha

Probably the all-time greatest fast food beverage- closest competition was the MacD's vanilla milkshake from the 1980s and mid 90s, which disappeared only to reappear a few years ago as a pale imitation of its former glory. ;-D

Still love the curly fries and root beer mugs. 

My best impression of it was the one at Bedok. Kind of cosy.

Love to have it when I go to Malaysia again.

Kept saying that I'd go for it but in the end my travelling group forgot about going there.

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

It seems that A & W was all about the rootbeer float in the frosted mugs- YUMM haha

Probably the all-time greatest fast food beverage- closest competition was the MacD's vanilla milkshake from the 1980s and mid 90s, which disappeared only to reappear a few years ago as a pale imitation of its former glory. ;-D

YES! so i'm not the only one who thinks the new milkshake recipe doesn't match up to the one in the past. not just my nostalgia playing up eh. although i'd go for the strawberry milkshake..

• 4 weeks later...

YES! so i'm not the only one who thinks the new milkshake recipe doesn't match up to the one in the past. not just my nostalgia playing up eh. although i'd go for the strawberry milkshake..

Haha definitely, the current version only has just a few thousand calories while the previous one had close to a million LOL or at least it tasted that way :thumb: what a treat!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's the ice cream that made the A&W float great. Soft american ice cream from the dispenser... Not the rock hard dunno from where frozen shit they now put on their floats.

If you REALLY crave real A&W root beer float, go to MacDonald's and buy their soft ice cream. In your own large mug pour in almost freezing A&W root beer from the pep bottle and very gently put in the soft ice cream....

I think one of their last outlets was near Paya Lebar, along Tanjong Katong Rd opposite the old Lion City Hotel, believe it was there till 2000 or 2001. Back then in secondary school when I was young stupid and ignorant, and hence refused to accept that I liked boys it was the place I got my one and only girlfriend.

But as a kid Bedok Central A&W was one of my happiest places. The other was East Coast Macs. Tragically both aren't around anymore

Edited by takeitoff

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

If you are in Malacca, the restaurant is relocated on the 2nd floor of Dataran Pahlawan.  Bigger space and they brought back the root beer served in the original mug.

The Coney Dog was a disappointment where the meaty chili sauce made the bun 'wet'.

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.